• Peter Krueger

★★★★ Rewatched by Peter Krueger 20 May, 2015

Equal parts about the brilliantly talented and inspiring Paul Williams, and his personal stalker/documentarian/big scaredycat ninny Stephen Kessler. Try to guess which one of these men is more interesting.

• Jason Tarver

★★★½ Watched by Jason Tarver 13 May, 2015

Interesting but flawed look at the singer-songwriter Paul Williams. The biggest problem with this doc is the filmmakers insistence on putting himself at the forefront of the film far too many times. Otherwise, it was great seeing that not only is Mr Williams still alive but he is happier than he has ever been.

• dantesring

★★½ Watched by dantesring 28 Apr, 2015

One of the things that all truly great documentaries share is that moment where the film defines itself and becomes something more than what the director had in mind. Two fine examples are CAPTURING THE FRIEDMANS which started its life as a documentary on street performers before becoming a tale of a family destruction from within, or THE THIN BLUE LINE which was originally intended to be about a psychiatrist which then turned into a film that served justice for…

• Mully Mullennix

★★★ Watched by Mully Mullennix 28 Apr, 2015

Fun Doc for people my age that remember this guy and Carson and the Muppet show, etc. I really enjoyed this.

• Hollie Horror

Watched by Hollie Horror 16 Apr, 2015 2

I just want to go on the record that I really hate having to rate a documentary on Paul Williams so god damn low.

The director of Paul Williams Still Alive is Stephen Kessler, a self-proclaimed fan of Williams who does a very poor job documenting his idol's life and career. Instead, Kessler interjects himself into the narrative so much that it becomes nauseating.

For a majority of the running time we're witnessing Williams' annoyance with Kessler; from Kessler asking…

• Chase Eiland

★★★ Watched by Chase Eiland 13 Mar, 2015

A bizarre documentary about a tortured genius. Ended up being way too much about the director.

• Jason Taningco

Watched by Jason Taningco 10 Mar, 2015

The life and music of Williams is good and interesting enough to fill a movie. Too bad this movie is filled with the director talking about what it all means to HIM and inserting HIMSELF into as much of the movie as Williams. All the meta stuff is clumsy and stupid and eye roll inducing.

• Dan Bergstrom

★★★½ Watched by Dan Bergstrom 09 Mar, 2015

There are a lot of different ways to go about a music documentary. You have the "let's give the subject a metaphorical blowjob for 90 minutes" approach. You have the "talking heads dissect everything" approach. You have the "get yourself invited to Ginger Baker's South African compound and antagonize him even though he's a complete dick who might not have a problem killing you" approach.

This film comes from the "way, way, WAY too nervous superfan stalks his idol and…

• Heather Cain

★★ Watched by Heather Cain 04 Mar, 2015

netflix
    Los Angeles, CA

I like Paul Williams pretty much. I'm not a huge
    deep lover of like every single ballad, but yeah, good.
    And Bugsy Malone, as many know is dear to my heart because of the music.

I think where this doc goes wrong is mainly with the direction.
    I feel like he had a lot of trouble working with Paul, but after all the
    documentary was suppose to be about Paul, no? A good what seemed
    like…

• Edwin Davies

★★★★ Watched by Edwin Davies 28 Feb, 2015

Or, Oh, He Wrote That? Lively documentary about the meteoric rise and slow, simmering sobriety of Paul Williams, the singer-songwriter who became one of the world's least likely celebrities in the 1970s, then slipped into obscurity to battle addictions to drugs and alcohol.

The film picks up with Williams in the late '00s after the director, who connected with Williams' work growing up but assumed for years that he had died (hence the title), met him at a screening of…

• Greg TeGantvoort

★★★★ Watched by Greg TeGantvoort 25 Feb, 2015

There's a great story here. Also a story about a filmmaker who finally learns how to shut up and listen to his subject.

• Chris Popkoff

★★★½ Watched by Chris Popkoff 15 Feb, 2015

An entertaining documentary that almost borders on parody as the vocal director inserts himself into the film and tries to provoke conflict and tragedy that's just not there. The end result is a documentary that feels like it's compiled of the things you're supposed to leave on the cutting room floor, and in the end it resonates as more "real" that way. It's not an essay, it's more or less what happened.