• Parker

★★½ Watched by Parker 12 Jul, 2014

I thought I was going to watch a movie about Paul Williams, but it's mostly about the annoying director of the film. There's an unbearable subplot about how scared he is of terrorism that should have been cut.

The Paul Williams stuff is cool, though. Seeing a lot of the old footage was cool.

• waynewebb

★★★★½ Watched by waynewebb 18 Jun, 2014

Like the filmmaker I am a child of the Paul Williams era and was also surprised to know he was still alive. Still performing, still writing and still delighting at this late stage.

I did not know about the alcoholism and drugs, multiple marriages and other dramas in his life that all passed by so long ago and were replaced with a life well lived and a contribution well beyond his music, and that is a big contribution.

The film…

• DavidM3000AD

★★ Watched by DavidM3000AD 03 May, 2014

Paul Williams was big in the seventies. The diminutive singer-songwriter, who specialised in weepy ballads like "Evergreen" and "We've Only Just Begun", also became a mainstay of cheesy TV chat and variety shows, winning audiences over with his quick self-deprecating quips and willingness to be up for just about anything. At some point during the early 1980s, however, he faded into obscurity.

This ramshackle fan-perspective documentary begins by being a 'whatever happened to... ' piece, and hunts down Paul Williams,…

• zachfree

★★★ Watched by zachfree 25 Apr, 2014

Interesting and odd little documentary about a musician and personality from the 70s that I hadn't heard of before (Paul Williams). The director is a very strange guy and that kind of effects the narrative of the film in sometimes negative ways - but perhaps his quirkiness actually makes this documentary more enjoyable, as it avoids typical bio-doc cliches.

• Miguel Ravelo

★★★ Watched by Miguel Ravelo 17 Apr, 2014

Por un lado, me gustó que sea un documental en el que el director se ve realmente en aprietos porque desde un inicio, no hay la empatía suficiente entre él y su protagonista, Paul Williams. Se ve que por más que lo intenten, no hacen clic. Y esto sirve porque poco a poco vemos cómo Kessler se lo va ganando.

Por otro lado, y por lo que no le doy más estrellas e inclusive puede parecer contradictorio con lo dicho…

• Adam Lowes

★★★½ Watched by Adam Lowes 09 Apr, 2014

Enjoyable look at a terrific, still largely underapreciated, singer/songwriter. Director Stephen Kessler's very personal efforts to get under the skin of the occasionally frosty Williams makes for some humorous and quite touching moments.

• Pete Schultze

★★★★½ Watched by Pete Schultze 17 Feb, 2014

Quite interesting in spite of a really intrusive, annoying documentarian.

• Antonio Quintero

★★★★ Watched by Antonio Quintero 14 Mar, 2013

A great documentary about a forgotten singer songwritten that was on everything in the 70s. Is one of the few documentaries were i have seen the subject turn attention of the documentary to the director. It becomes a great document of a friendship

• Jeff Mahady

★★½ Watched by Jeff Mahady 02 Dec, 2013

The documentary was sold as being the story of Paul Williams and finding out where he went. What it ends up being is a glance of this interesting man's past with him dodging a great deal of the heavy questions. The director never seems to be in the driver's seat with this film.

• Katherine

★★★★★ Watched by Katherine 02 Dec, 2013

The Carpenters. Barbara Streisand. Kermit the frog. So many people have sung Paul Williams songs and he's no doubt one of the most influential song writers that no one ever knows about, but then you see some footage of him on the Johnny Carson show or with The Muppets and you think "yeah, I remember that dude." But you really didn't realize how important he was to music and to entertainment in general. At least I didn't, not until I…

• Pete Laurie

★★½ Watched by Pete Laurie 01 Oct, 2013

This review reportedly contains spoilers. I can handle the truth.

• Dan Gaertner

★★★½ Watched by Dan Gaertner 16 Oct, 2013

Interesting portrait of a famous individual who is no longer famous... if you get what I mean. I do not think you really get to know Paul Williams with the film, but what little the man does reveal is enough to propel the film forward.