• Mark Morton

★½ Added by Mark Morton

The tale of a failed filmmaker who stalks a forgotten celebrity to the point of inducing Stockholm Syndrome, and then sells it as a "documentary."

• LastHazza

★★★ Watched by LastHazza 22 Aug, 2015

I can see why some would find Stephen Kessler to be an annoying presence (he makes every effort to insert himself into the 'story'), but this felt like a fun, charming and personal film. Whilst it probably could have been more revealing about Paul Williams, it's still entertaining enough to pass muster.

• Mr. DuLac

★½ Watched by Mr. DuLac 13 Aug, 2015

I didn't even care that Paul Williams was there anymore.
    -Stephen Kessler

Having just watched Phantom of the Paradise for the first time a few days ago, when I spotted this documentary on NetFlix I had two reactions: "Hell yes! This is perfect timing!" and "Paul Williams is still alive?!" So I guess the title of the documentary is perfect, unlike the documentary itself.

There's no need to analyze anything as to why this is awful, it's all because of…

• Rick

Watched by Rick 02 Jul, 2015

I think the only person more annoyed with the director of this film than me is Paul Williams.

The most egregious moment for me was when Williams is invited to perform a concert in the Philippines. The director FREAKS OUT because he reads online that the U.S. has put the country on some sort of terror watch list because there was recent Al-Qaeda activity alongside the road they have to bus down to get to the show. He nervously goes…

• Lasse Marhaug

★★ Watched by Lasse Marhaug 26 Jun, 2015

What could have been a very interesting documentary about 70s icon Paul Williams is spoiled by director Stephen Kessler's infusion of his personal issues into the film. Williams comes across as a sympathetic and reasonable guy, while I just wanted to slap Kessler, who comes across almost like a parody of a self-centered obnoxious film-maker. Surprised this sad mess was even released.

• Bill Stiteler

★★★½ Watched by Bill Stiteler 11 Jun, 2015

Less of a documentary about Paul Williams than a friendly battle between the idea of Paul Williams in the filmmaker-fan's brain and the actual guy who went through the stuff. Kessler is trying to impose a narrative on Williams, Williams calls him on it, while trying to structure his own narrative, and Kessler puts it all in the film. I'm not sure how it works as a documentary, but it's like a fascinating "Making Of" feature of the film itself.

• Sam

★★★★ Watched by Sam 28 May, 2015

Hard to tell if it’s narcissism or self-deprecation at work here, honesty or indulgence—though really it’s probably all of the above. There's a good amount of emotionally resonant material here, but one suspects Paul Williams Still Alive would benefit greatly from the documentarian shutting his mouth for one goddamn minute.

• Peter Krueger

★★★★ Rewatched by Peter Krueger 20 May, 2015

Equal parts about the brilliantly talented and inspiring Paul Williams, and his personal stalker/documentarian/big scaredycat ninny Stephen Kessler. Try to guess which one of these men is more interesting.

• Jason Tarver

★★★½ Watched by Jason Tarver 13 May, 2015

Interesting but flawed look at the singer-songwriter Paul Williams. The biggest problem with this doc is the filmmakers insistence on putting himself at the forefront of the film far too many times. Otherwise, it was great seeing that not only is Mr Williams still alive but he is happier than he has ever been.

• dantesring

★★½ Watched by dantesring 28 Apr, 2015

One of the things that all truly great documentaries share is that moment where the film defines itself and becomes something more than what the director had in mind. Two fine examples are CAPTURING THE FRIEDMANS which started its life as a documentary on street performers before becoming a tale of a family destruction from within, or THE THIN BLUE LINE which was originally intended to be about a psychiatrist which then turned into a film that served justice for…

• Mully Mullennix

★★★ Watched by Mully Mullennix 28 Apr, 2015

Fun Doc for people my age that remember this guy and Carson and the Muppet show, etc. I really enjoyed this.

• Hollie Horror

Watched by Hollie Horror 16 Apr, 2015 4

I just want to go on the record that I really hate having to rate a documentary on Paul Williams so god damn low.

The director of Paul Williams Still Alive is Stephen Kessler, a self-proclaimed fan of Williams who does a very poor job documenting his idol's life and career. Instead, Kessler interjects himself into the narrative so much that it becomes nauseating.

For a majority of the running time we're witnessing Williams' annoyance with Kessler; from Kessler asking…