• cinemacide

★★½ Watched by cinemacide 28 Oct, 2015

A fine documentary about making a documentary but just when it gets into Paul's life it veers back into the relationship between he and the director.

• Josito Montez

★★★ Watched by Josito Montez 24 Oct, 2015

A documentary that answers what ever happened to Paul Williams, an icon of the 1970s, composer of wonderful pop ballads, star of Brian de Palma's cult classic "Phantom of the Paradise" and ineffable TV personality.
    Stephen Kessler, director of the documentary, claims he thought Williams was dead and discovers the idol's glorious career was drastically cut by alcoholism and drug addiction. The composer/singer is sober now and still working, but on a minor level.
    "Paul Williams: Still Alive" is mostly…

• LiteralVis

★★½ Watched by LiteralVis 23 Oct, 2015

Great to see a documentary about Paul Williams. I just wish it wasn't focused on the director forcing himself into a "friendship" with him on camera. Really, it's a stalker's poorly made fan film but Paul remained engaging enough to tolerate. If anything, I finished watching it out of solidarity with him.

• Christian von Schack

★★★½ Watched by Christian von Schack 24 Oct, 2015

The parts where Kessler, the director, shuts the fuck up and stays out of the way are great, but I hope someone comes along to make the documentary Williams deserves. Annoying as Kessler is, though, he sticks the landing.

• Michael Schutz-Ryan

★★★★★ Watched by Michael Schutz-Ryan 01 May, 2015

I do love showbiz documentaries. This is the best of all I've seen. Paul Williams' story by itself is sad, fascinating, and poignant. Add to that a truly bizarre relationship with this documentary's director, and it absolutely shines. Terrific!

• Robert Ham

★★½ Watched by Robert Ham 30 Aug, 2015

Too much time taken up with the relationship between the director and the subject, and not enough delving into his career. Moments of greatness smothered by bullshit.

• Mark Morton

★½ Added by Mark Morton

The tale of a failed filmmaker who stalks a forgotten celebrity to the point of inducing Stockholm Syndrome, and then sells it as a "documentary."

• LastHazza

★★★ Watched by LastHazza 22 Aug, 2015

I can see why some would find Stephen Kessler to be an annoying presence (he makes every effort to insert himself into the 'story'), but this felt like a fun, charming and personal film. Whilst it probably could have been more revealing about Paul Williams, it's still entertaining enough to pass muster.

• Mr. DuLac

★½ Watched by Mr. DuLac 13 Aug, 2015

I didn't even care that Paul Williams was there anymore.
    -Stephen Kessler

Having just watched Phantom of the Paradise for the first time a few days ago, when I spotted this documentary on NetFlix I had two reactions: "Hell yes! This is perfect timing!" and "Paul Williams is still alive?!" So I guess the title of the documentary is perfect, unlike the documentary itself.

There's no need to analyze anything as to why this is awful, it's all because of…

• Rick

Watched by Rick 02 Jul, 2015

I think the only person more annoyed with the director of this film than me is Paul Williams.

The most egregious moment for me was when Williams is invited to perform a concert in the Philippines. The director FREAKS OUT because he reads online that the U.S. has put the country on some sort of terror watch list because there was recent Al-Qaeda activity alongside the road they have to bus down to get to the show. He nervously goes…

• Lasse Marhaug

★★ Watched by Lasse Marhaug 26 Jun, 2015

What could have been a very interesting documentary about 70s icon Paul Williams is spoiled by director Stephen Kessler's infusion of his personal issues into the film. Williams comes across as a sympathetic and reasonable guy, while I just wanted to slap Kessler, who comes across almost like a parody of a self-centered obnoxious film-maker. Surprised this sad mess was even released.

• Bill Stiteler

★★★½ Watched by Bill Stiteler 11 Jun, 2015

Less of a documentary about Paul Williams than a friendly battle between the idea of Paul Williams in the filmmaker-fan's brain and the actual guy who went through the stuff. Kessler is trying to impose a narrative on Williams, Williams calls him on it, while trying to structure his own narrative, and Kessler puts it all in the film. I'm not sure how it works as a documentary, but it's like a fascinating "Making Of" feature of the film itself.