• Chase Eiland

★★★ Watched by Chase Eiland 13 Mar, 2015

A bizarre documentary about a tortured genius. Ended up being way too much about the director.

• Jason Taningco

Watched by Jason Taningco 10 Mar, 2015

The life and music of Williams is good and interesting enough to fill a movie. Too bad this movie is filled with the director talking about what it all means to HIM and inserting HIMSELF into as much of the movie as Williams. All the meta stuff is clumsy and stupid and eye roll inducing.

• Dan Bergstrom

★★★½ Watched by Dan Bergstrom 09 Mar, 2015

There are a lot of different ways to go about a music documentary. You have the "let's give the subject a metaphorical blowjob for 90 minutes" approach. You have the "talking heads dissect everything" approach. You have the "get yourself invited to Ginger Baker's South African compound and antagonize him even though he's a complete dick who might not have a problem killing you" approach.

This film comes from the "way, way, WAY too nervous superfan stalks his idol and…

• Heather Cain

★★ Watched by Heather Cain 04 Mar, 2015

netflix
    Los Angeles, CA

I like Paul Williams pretty much. I'm not a huge
    deep lover of like every single ballad, but yeah, good.
    And Bugsy Malone, as many know is dear to my heart because of the music.

I think where this doc goes wrong is mainly with the direction.
    I feel like he had a lot of trouble working with Paul, but after all the
    documentary was suppose to be about Paul, no? A good what seemed
    like…

• Edwin Davies

★★★★ Watched by Edwin Davies 28 Feb, 2015

Or, Oh, He Wrote That? Lively documentary about the meteoric rise and slow, simmering sobriety of Paul Williams, the singer-songwriter who became one of the world's least likely celebrities in the 1970s, then slipped into obscurity to battle addictions to drugs and alcohol.

The film picks up with Williams in the late '00s after the director, who connected with Williams' work growing up but assumed for years that he had died (hence the title), met him at a screening of…

• Greg TeGantvoort

★★★★ Watched by Greg TeGantvoort 25 Feb, 2015

There's a great story here. Also a story about a filmmaker who finally learns how to shut up and listen to his subject.

• Chris Popkoff

★★★½ Watched by Chris Popkoff 15 Feb, 2015

An entertaining documentary that almost borders on parody as the vocal director inserts himself into the film and tries to provoke conflict and tragedy that's just not there. The end result is a documentary that feels like it's compiled of the things you're supposed to leave on the cutting room floor, and in the end it resonates as more "real" that way. It's not an essay, it's more or less what happened.

• Trevor Snyder

★★★★ Watched by Trevor Snyder 15 Feb, 2015

I'm not often into documentaries where the filmmaker works so hard to make themselves part of the narrative, but it works here, mostly due to Williams always being so annoyed by the director's presence.

Anyway, this is a nice tribute to a very important and often overlooked (today) figure.

• Kevin Doree

★★½ Added by Kevin Doree

Uneven, but interesting look at a guy I remember seeing everywhere when I was a kid.

• john runion

★★★ Watched by john runion 08 Feb, 2015

this could have been really great, but the director would not get out of the way. for some strange, unknown reason he seemed to think that we were watching his film because we were interested in him, his thoughts and his feelings as opposed to the reason why we actually watched his documentary.

• Steve Norwood

½ Watched by Steve Norwood 01 Feb, 2015

Nope.

I grew up with Paul Williams, and have really enjoyed some of his work. But the filmmaker here is so grating and invasive that it just sucks the life out of the film. It's not about you, man.

• Haley

★★★★ Watched by Haley 12 Jan, 2015

This man deserves more recognition.