• Chris Rothgeb

★★★½ Watched by Chris Rothgeb 01 Mar, 2016

I had the privilege of meeting Steven Kessler in class yesterday and got the chance to discuss the film and ask questions about his process. I have to say that my initial reaction to the film was quite negative, but upon hearing his rationale, I was able to better understand his perspective and the perspective of the film. The film is more about the relationship that develops between Steven and Paul and less a straight documentary about Paul Williams. In…

• Gabriel Lisboa

★★★ Watched by Gabriel Lisboa 22 Feb, 2016

I liked the director interference here despite the contempt of many reviewers. It was the way he managed to work with Paul's quietness, reflected the making of a celebrity documentary and its cliches and also the personal experience for him as a fan.

• Chris Lay

★★ Watched by Chris Lay 29 Jan, 2016

"That Still Alive manages to get any traction at all is thanks entirely to Paul Williams’ seemingly bottomless wells of grace, humility, and outright magnetic charisma."

blog.vinylmeplease.com/watch-the-tunes-paul-williams-still-alive/

• Jim Ellwanger

★★★★ Watched by Jim Ellwanger 28 Jan, 2016

Seeing the filmmaker's journey was surprisingly interesting here.

• Adam_Zanzie

★★½ Added by Adam_Zanzie

I dunno, it's cool that Paul Williams is sober and everything and seems to be doing just fine for himself these days, but this documentary barely covers his work on The Muppet Movie and Phantom of the Paradise, doesn't cover his comeback on Muppet Christmas Carol AT ALL, and the director centers at least half of the movie on himself, and... I think somebody else needs to make a documentary about Paul Williams that is more cohesive and comprehensive.

• Carlos Solano

★★★★ Added by Carlos Solano

El antidocumental acerca del antipersonaje. Con mucho sentido del humor, explora la vida de un personaje que todo el mundo parecía haber olvidado pero que quienes nacimos en los años 70 o antes recordamos con mucho cariño. Yo, especialmente, por su personaje antagónico en 'El fantasma de la ópera'. La película surge antes de que Williams sea buscado por Daft Punk para su colaboración en 'Random Access Memories', lo que le da un ingrediente adicional. Empieza muy bien, se ríe…

• cinemacide

★★½ Watched by cinemacide 28 Oct, 2015

A fine documentary about making a documentary but just when it gets into Paul's life it veers back into the relationship between he and the director.

• Josito Montez

★★★ Watched by Josito Montez 24 Oct, 2015

A documentary that answers what ever happened to Paul Williams, an icon of the 1970s, composer of wonderful pop ballads, star of Brian de Palma's cult classic "Phantom of the Paradise" and ineffable TV personality.
    Stephen Kessler, director of the documentary, claims he thought Williams was dead and discovers the idol's glorious career was drastically cut by alcoholism and drug addiction. The composer/singer is sober now and still working, but on a minor level.
    "Paul Williams: Still Alive" is mostly…

• LiteralVis

★★½ Watched by LiteralVis 23 Oct, 2015

Great to see a documentary about Paul Williams. I just wish it wasn't focused on the director forcing himself into a "friendship" with him on camera. Really, it's a stalker's poorly made fan film but Paul remained engaging enough to tolerate. If anything, I finished watching it out of solidarity with him.

• Christian von Schack

★★★½ Watched by Christian von Schack 24 Oct, 2015

The parts where Kessler, the director, shuts the fuck up and stays out of the way are great, but I hope someone comes along to make the documentary Williams deserves. Annoying as Kessler is, though, he sticks the landing.

• Michael Schutz

★★★★★ Watched by Michael Schutz 01 May, 2015

I do love showbiz documentaries. This is the best of all I've seen. Paul Williams' story by itself is sad, fascinating, and poignant. Add to that a truly bizarre relationship with this documentary's director, and it absolutely shines. Terrific!

• Robert Ham

★★½ Watched by Robert Ham 30 Aug, 2015

Too much time taken up with the relationship between the director and the subject, and not enough delving into his career. Moments of greatness smothered by bullshit.