• James Rodrigues

★★★★½ Watched by James Rodrigues 12 Jun, 2016

When a person bares their soul into a biographical piece of work, there's often the worry somebody may craft a bastardised film version of it. Marjane Satrapi instead uses this as an opportunity, bringing her graphic novel tale to life with the help of co-director Vincent Paronnaud. The result is beautifully animated, honest portrayal of Satrapi's life during the Iranian Revolution of 1979, as well as the aftermath. Witnessing how it affects Marjane and her family delivers a poignant experience, that manages to often prove humorous, but is mostly rather touching.

• Lena Houst

★★★★ Watched by Lena Houst 23 Jun, 2016

At once a charming simplification and an expressionistic open wound, with national and pubescent anxieties coming through with vivid potency and validity. Zero barriers between experience, fantasy and memory.

• mary

★★★½ Rewatched by mary 21 Jun, 2016

i love this but it's so short compared to the graphic novel!! it doesn't address half of what is in there and it's quite disappointing, but if you haven't read the graphic novel yet then you won't really notice and it's quite educational so go watch persepolis if you haven't yet or read the graphic novel...or why not do both :^)

• Avathoir

★★★½ Watched by Avathoir 20 Jun, 2016

I was never gonna love this as much as I wanted to, since the books is so dear to my heart, but Satrapi (whom is so close to me from how much I read this book I will probably accidentally call her "mom" if I ever meet her) does a beautiful job taking her memoir and translating it to a film context. She's really got a natural filmmaker's eye, but the lack of experience is evident here, not to mention…

• PatrickF

★★★★ Watched by PatrickF 19 Jun, 2016

This animated film explores the life of a young girl growing up in Iran during the Islamic revolution of the 70's and 80's

Persepolis manages to balance of being both a informative and entertaining film examining Iranian culture and the struggle of women growing up in oppression and following a young girl coming of age. The film does not get bogged down in historical fact and focuses mostly on writer/director Marjane's perspective on events. This helps the film create moments…

• Trevor Collins, Illmatic Film Addict

★★★★ Rewatched by Trevor Collins, Illmatic Film Addict 18 Jun, 2016

An immigrant's story is centered around the illusory concept of Home. Escaping home, finding home, wanting to return home. Marji was a spunky, disaffected Iranian girl who grew up to be a bitterly wizened, disaffected woman thanks to a lifetime of political conflicts, societal oppression, romantic betrayal, and a prevailing untethered sense of homelessness. Not in that she lived on the streets (well, she does at one point but that's not what I'm talking about) but because after the Islamic…

• Bianca_stg

★★★★ Watched by Bianca_stg 11 Jun, 2016

Acababa de terminar la novela gráfica y tenía muy fresco todo, tal vez por eso sentí que iba muy rápido. Pero está buenísima.

• Mike Cavaliere

★★★★½ Watched by Mike Cavaliere 14 Jan, 2008

Stunning animation. Not a movie that's just an historical piece or just about next-generation isolation, or just a comedy, or just a drama, or just a coming-of-age story. It segways between moments gracefully. Really great movie.

• MandelBroSet

★★★ Watched by MandelBroSet 06 Jun, 2016

movie challenge: how to be a feminist who likes space & gay movies & other things - 2/21

a movie with an adapted screenplay + main female character.

Persepolis is certainly educational.

I'm a little torn because I was a big fan of the graphic novel, but I felt like the score and animation style really detracted from the main story. I understand the idea of viewing injustices from a position of child-like innocence, but something about it felt off to me.…

• weouthere

★★★★½ Added by weouthere

Life.

• dm55

★★★★ Watched by dm55 01 Jun, 2016

Animated in the style of the graphic novel it adapts, Persepolis is a hugely charming and emotional look into the life of a young girl growing up during the Iranian Revolution. The film expertly captures the author's unique perspective and her winning and inspiring journey through life in both Iran and Austria.

I was surprised by the film's humour and how tough Marjane was. She was a character that I would gladly spend more time with, and despite the tragedies…

• Isabel

★★★★½ Rewatched by Isabel 31 May, 2016

Watched this again after reading the graphic novels. Some important parts of the novel missing from the movie, but nonetheless still amazes me.