• Charles Arpin

★★ Added by Charles Arpin

For me, the only thing that really saved the movie for me was the beautiful animation. I hated the characters and story so much. Some things are best just left as a graphic novel.

• Aron Condorchoa

★★★★ Added by Aron Condorchoa

• Lights Camera Jackson

★★★½ Watched by Lights Camera Jackson 25 Dec, 2007

"Persepolis" was the third film nominated for Best Animated Feature last year (along with "Ratatouille" and "Surf's Up").

The movie comes from a graphic novel, written by Marjane Satrapi. The story follows her life as a young girl growing-up in the country of Iran from the late 1960's to the early 80's. This was a difficult time in Iran because of wars and the country's leaders, who were not kind to the people. We get to know Marjane and her…

• José Rocha Neto

★★★★ Added by José Rocha Neto

wow

• dbgirl

★★★½ Added by dbgirl

Interesting, a bit different story of a real person. I didn't quite understand the politics in this, but luckily for me there was so little of it, even though it was understandable why there had to be some talking of politics.

Even the subjects are very serious, this still was surprisingly funny. It had a lot of funny (and mundane) situations. As a woman, I was having fun when they showed how Marjane started to grow to be a woman.…

• Andy

★★★★★ Added by Andy

Visto 100 volte! Amo questo film...la storia..i disegni..tutto!

• donnia

★★★★★ Watched by donnia 01 Feb, 2016

How did this life changing movie lose to Ratatouille

• detritustank

★★★★ Added by detritustank

Watch the movie for the animation. Read the graphic novel for more context.

• mv

★★★★ Added by mv

Persepolis is a brilliantly told personal account of what it was like to grow up in a wealthy family in Iran during and after the revolution. Adapted from a graphic novel, the movie comes to life with simple but incredibly expressive black and white animation. It hits the mark of being insightful while also full of touching and hilarious moments. I loved the parts set in Iran, the part in Austria got a bit R rated for me, but it was nonetheless important to the story.

• James Lees

★★★½ Watched by James Lees 28 Jan, 2016 2

I'll admit that I wasn't feeling this much in the beginning. But after a half hour or so, it won me over. It's beautifully animated - simple, yet powerful.

For a film with so many important messages and utterly harrowing themes, I was surprised at how much I laughed throughout. The Godzilla moment, the conversations with her Grandma (flowers in her bra, dipping her boobs in ice water) and rocking out at the concert...all of this really made me chuckle…

• Nick Vass

★★★★½ Watched by Nick Vass 28 Jan, 2016

A gobsmacking example of animation as an innovative medium.

Persepolis is a tour de force of monochromatic palettes and poignant storytelling. It tells an autobiographical version of the rebellious Marjane Satrapi who was 8 years old when the Islamic Revolution transformed her native Tehran. The compound of a personal, emotional, social and political upbringing is one which resonated deeply for me.

The economic illustration of Persepolis is accurate to its graphic novel as well. In terms of narrative, it's unfolded…

• Lucas Lucas