• David Bowie

★★★★ Added by David Bowie

cool

• ghostdinosaur

★½ Watched by ghostdinosaur 11 Nov, 2014

The moments of Persepolis that work are undermined by its poor attempts at comedy and unfocused narrative.

www.loosecanons.net/writings/#/persepolis/

• Troy Taylor

★★★½ Watched by Troy Taylor 06 Nov, 2014

A cartoon about the struggles of a young, rebellious girl growing up in post-revolution Iran--there probably aren't many people begging for this in the next summer blockbuster sweep, but it's absolutely brilliant.

This movie, based on a graphic novel, manages to control the tone of a movie that would be incredibly heavy and depressing if filmed in live action. The animation lightens the tone when it wants to, and makes it more serious when it chooses as well. It is…

• jonbonraki

★★★★ Added by jonbonraki

to me this takes a plunge into a different culture, and it clearly goes in a path of how confused someone can become due to experience of different cultures.

I really enjoyed this story, and think it's a good introduction to the graphic novel format for reluctant readers. Those who like biographies, cultural and historical dramas, and stories of personal journeys will no doubt enjoy this book. Highly recommended.

• Chriskr

★★★★ Added by Chriskr

A really nice adaption of Marjane Satrapi's autobiographic graphic novel. The style stays very true to that of the comic.

• ApeLincoln

★★★★★ Watched by ApeLincoln 26 Oct, 2014

Interesting film about growing up in times of the Iranian Revolution.

• Gaz Elliott

★★★★ Watched by Gaz Elliott 22 Oct, 2014

Poignant coming-of-age story of a precocious and outspoken young Iranian girl that begins during the Islamic Revolution.

• Jason Miller

★★★★½ Added by Jason Miller

A little more clunky than I remember it being (structurally) but the phenomenal use of animated transition sequences make those easier to gloss over.
    Obviously still as funny, sweet, melancholy and beautifully political as I remember it being. Truly one of the best coming of age stories while at the same time being incredibly informational as well.

Few films use animation as a keystone in the storytelling and show why it needs to exist.

• astrohkid

★★★ Watched by astrohkid 22 Sep, 2014

Persepolis is certainly a good film, with some great animation that to my surprise was all hand drawn, and some interesting ideas. The main issue is that the film doesn't reflect Marjane's personality at all. It's obvious that she goes through some serious change through the film and I appreciate all the little details but she isn't really represented well. I don't feel like I knew who she was. And that's a problem, seeing as it's an entire coming of…

• ccoleman3

★★★★ Watched by ccoleman3 24 Sep, 2014

Really good movie. Great visuals, compelling story. Just loved how grounded the rebellious spirit of the girl was.

• Christian Flemm

★★★★ Watched by Christian Flemm 16 Sep, 2014

Looks absolutely gorgeous and sports a fantastic message all the while giving outsiders a glimpse into the life of the oppressed Irani citizen in the 1980s. What restricts PERSEPOLIS from truly becoming great is how frequently bildungsroman cliches pop up. They're hard to avoid (and Nick Kline pretty much hits the nail on the head in his IDA review), but it annoys me to an extent when they are in a film as powerful as PERSEPOLIS. FRANCES HA was a…

• Windyblue

★★★★½ Watched by Windyblue 03 Nov, 2014

Warning:
    Misogyny
    Male supremacy
    Sexualization of women
    Sexual harassment
    Rape culture - policing of male terroritory with sexual violence
    Violence
    Bombings
    Rape
    FIrearms
    Sexual commodification of women's bodies
    Dehumanization of women