• Michael Herrington

★★★★★ Watched by Michael Herrington 28 May, 2016

A superb coming-of-age film. The horrors Marjane witnessed are present and appropriately terrifying, but aren't the focus; that would be the joy, music, and family ties that kept her going. An animated movie about real human life, which I will never get tired of seeing.

• Diego Feitosa

★★★★★ Watched by Diego Feitosa 27 May, 2016

Animação francesa excelente que também serve como aula de história e ciências políticas. O filme inicia pouco antes da Revolução Iraniana, quando a protagonista ainda é uma garotinha, conforme ela vai crescendo e vivendo suas descobertas e conflitos da juventude, as consequências da revolução vão dando forma ao cenário em volta.

• naughty budgie

Rewatched by naughty budgie 24 May, 2016

screened in understanding movies. speak out against poverty wages afterwards.

• vanslater

★★★★★ Watched by vanslater 22 Nov, 2009

• Corey Hiscocks

★★★★ Watched by Corey Hiscocks 21 May, 2016

Spectacularly realized tragedy characterized by both visual beauty and grim atmospherics. Persepolis is thinly veiled (by design, it seems) as a young girl's coming of age story, but brushes up with a number of difficult topics: a particular breed of European xenophobia, religious fundamentalism, political instability, parental roles, the restlessness of youth, etc.

Despite being autobiographical, somehow the episodic structure makes the whole thing seem uncomfortably generic: it plays a bit like the unauthorized biopic of the eternal, faceless Refugee…

• Alan Newnham

★★★★½ Watched by Alan Newnham 22 May, 2016

80/100
    A genuine coming of age story presenting a girl who is conflicted by her identity, actions and her home of Iran. Her journey to find her place of being among the backdrop of the Iran Revolution

Fasincinating insight on culture, oppression and self. All expressed through gorgeous and emotive animation that shines through its simplicity.

• yanni

★★★★½ Watched by yanni 20 May, 2016

ahhh this was so good i read the book in the beginning of the yr and thought i would nvr find the movie

• Josefa Ruz

★★★★★ Added by Josefa Ruz

I love this story with all of my being. I would recommend reading the graphic novels first just because I feel like parts of it where cut in this.

• Ash

★★★★★ Watched by Ash 19 May, 2016

I loved everything about this movie. The animation was beautiful, and there were countless scenes that were visually fantastic. The story itself was fascinating, moving, and hilarious, with vivid characters.

...I cried a lot.

• Jordan McLaughlin

★★★★½ Watched by Jordan McLaughlin 15 May, 2016

The terribly tragic tale of an Iranian born woman and her hardships.
    Some skillful animation to boot.

• Alexei Toliopoulos

★★★★ Watched by Alexei Toliopoulos 10 May, 2016

A gorgeously realised adaptation of one of the great graphic novels. Thankfully the English dub is produced thoughtfully with love and respect.

• Eilidh Morris

★★★★★ Added by Eilidh Morris

Really interesting and captivating. I took a gamble on this, usually I'm not that keen on feature length animations. I know that good ones exist it just takes a lot for me to feel motivated to watch any.
    I'm glad I saw this in the cinema and then rewatched later, it's really poignant and funny too.