• nrbeaton

★★★ Watched by nrbeaton 30 Jun, 2011

Beautifully animated but at times lacks smooth continuity.

• VICPERSA

★★★★ Added by VICPERSA

Película biográfica que entretiene ,divierte y educa . Una crítica mordaz a las sociedad Islamista y Occidental desde la visión de una expatriada dentro y fuera de su país. No se deja títere con cabeza.

• Steve Moyle

★★★★ Added by Steve Moyle

The animated film Persepolis begins right before the Iranian Revolution which occurred in 1979 and follows the life of an Iranian girl. It goes forward in time to after the Revolution so we see the effects it has on our main character and those around her. The animation is great and it's very deep and realistic with human emotions. I only felt that it could have been longer with the amount of time it covered as it seems like some parts needed to be more stretched out although I see not many people have such a complaint towards it.

• Shachar Gannot

★★★★ Watched by Shachar Gannot 02 Aug, 2015

When 99.99% of your constituents democratically vote for a dictatorship, there is something seriously wrong. This phenomenon is very important to me because I feel that, recently, a substantial percentage of my own country's population chose the continued, basically, dictatorship of Benjamin Netanyahu.

As for the film itself, Persepolis was a great one. I very much enjoyed the animation style and loved the struggles of this girl's identity abroad. "They see us like animals," she tells an imagined figure supposed…

• Sarah Z

★★★★ Watched by Sarah Z 30 Jul, 2015

Incredibly powerful and personal telling with stunning animation. Watched the english dub and didn't love all the voice acting, though.

• Frederick Parra

★★★★½ Watched by Frederick Parra 20 Jul, 2015

This review reportedly contains spoilers. I can handle the truth.

Bellísimo largometraje.

Funciona como una especie de documental, muy bien estructurado, sobre la historia de Irán entre los 70s y 90s, pero a través de una historia fervorosa de una niña que va creciendo entre ese revoltoso clima social y político. Sus cambios de ritmo, que van del drama, el suspenso, hasta pasar por la comedia, lo hacen relucir como una película única en su especie.

La animación, tan sencilla al ojo pero tan pulcra y cuidada, le da un…

• Hana Kraus

★★★★★ Rewatched by Hana Kraus 12 Jul, 2015

Love this movie so much.

Was surrounded by 12 year old idiots who laugh at swear words and their big heads covered the subtitles.

• Danno Klonowski

★★★★ Added by Danno Klonowski

from my old DAILY ROTATION reviews:
    www.thedailyrotation.com/author/danno-klonowski

During its late 2007/early 2008 American release, Marjane Satrapi— the cartoonist/creator of the graphic novel and co-writer/director of the animated film Persepolis—was in Minnesota on a speaking/promotional tour. While I did not find out about it until after it happened, fortunately some friends of mine were in attendance. Despite Satrapi’s fascinating talk about her life growing up in Revolutionary Iran in the late 1970s and early 80s, my friends told me the most…

• film|captures

★★★½ Watched by film|captures 10 Jul, 2015

Fear lulls our minds to sleep.

• Jeroen Blom

★★★★½ Watched by Jeroen Blom 07 Jul, 2015

A beautiful piece of animation sharing an intimate inside view of a young woman's life in historical Iran. Though it's a bit slow to start, Persepolis pulls you in as you go along and prefers to show the fear and annoyance that is everyday occurence in a religious theocracy, rather than focusing on the great and terrible events in history. This approach shines a light on life in such a society while at the same time maintaining a certain lightness…

• James Burns

★★★★★ Watched by James Burns 01 Jul, 2015

The most beautiful animated film I have ever seen, with a moving story of politics and love and growing up that everyone should see. I can't say much more about it since I just finished it, but I think this movie could end up in my top 10 animated films, and it'll be high on my favorite films list.

• Justin Rivera

★★★★★ Added by Justin Rivera

Marjane Satrapi's debut film is a haunting look at ignorance, war, and life in Iran during the Islamic Revolution.

It may be depressing at times, but it's also wildly funny, intelligent, sensitive and absolutely beautiful.

Boasting strong vocal performances from the entire cast, as well as absolutely stunning monochrome animation, not to mention a quirky and whimsical script, "Persepolis" is fantastic.