• James Burns

★★★★★ Watched by James Burns 01 Jul, 2015

The most beautiful animated film I have ever seen, with a moving story of politics and love and growing up that everyone should see. I can't say much more about it since I just finished it, but I think this movie could end up in my top 10 animated films, and it'll be high on my favorite films list.

• Justin Rivera

★★★★★ Added by Justin Rivera

Marjane Satrapi's debut film is a haunting look at ignorance, war, and life in Iran during the Islamic Revolution.

It may be depressing at times, but it's also wildly funny, intelligent, sensitive and absolutely beautiful.

Boasting strong vocal performances from the entire cast, as well as absolutely stunning monochrome animation, not to mention a quirky and whimsical script, "Persepolis" is fantastic.

• Ainis94

★★★★½ Watched by Ainis94 26 Jun, 2015

Aunque le tenía ganas no sabía muy bien qué esperar de ella, pero oye, me ha sorprendido para bien. Para empezar, centrándome en lo visual, la animación me ha encantado; muy bonita y adecuada para la historia. Y luego del argumento, la historia (basada en hechos reales de verdad, no como lo que ponen en las pelis de terror) me ha gustado como a pesar de ser una historia triste y trágica, encima narrada en primera persona, tiene esos toques de humor que hacen que no sea un dramón más.

• Colin Stacy

★★★★½ Watched by Colin Stacy 17 Jun, 2015

An evocative and beautifully fluid cinefemmemoir (cinematic + feminine + memoir, get it?) hewn from the ash of memory and war. A sloshing, morphing cultural/regional identity freewheeling through the Middle East and Europe. Irani-form yet never bound. Who is Marjane? All who have told her this world's tales.

• fugitivo5

★★★★★ Added by fugitivo5

Nuevos clásicos.

• Varghese Eapen

★★★★½ Watched by Varghese Eapen 12 Jun, 2015

It's unimaginable how the Iranians suffered under the rule of the Shah and during the 8 year war with Iraq..The sad thing is that the restrictions imposed then exist even now..Making this in Black and White was a masterstroke..Scary,rebellious,psychedelic and haunting imagery will stay with you for years to come...Great companion piece along with Waltz with Bashir.

• mademoiselleem

Watched by mademoiselleem 11 Jun, 2015

Watched with self at home.

Movie Challenge Prompt: a movie based on a graphic novel or comic book

• Adrian Zachow

★★★★½ Watched by Adrian Zachow 08 Jun, 2015

Insightful, heartfelt, and often painful account of a young woman's years being raised in Iran in the midst of the turmoil of the revolutionary 70s, where the fight for freedom unfortunately leads to another even more oppressive regime, from which she eventually escapes by emigrating to Europe. A beautifully realized adaptation of Marjane Satrapi's autobiographical graphic novel, rendered (mostly) in lovely black and white animation. The battle for youthful ideas to survive under Iran's new regime over the span over…

• Claudia

★★★★ Watched by Claudia 24 May, 2015

Based on the graphic novel memoirs of Marjane Satrapi, this animated French film follows her childhood into young adulthood growing up a warring Iran. The entire movie was beautiful with flowing animation and some great music. It felt so real yet some sequences had almost a fairy-tale like quality to them. It followed the book to a T, probably due to the fact that Satrapi co-directed the film. While it is not outstanding, Persepolis is a great film that tells a very important story.

• Greg Dorr

★★★½ Watched by Greg Dorr 15 May, 2015

Persepolis looks beautiful, with a fluid and expressionistic style of animation based on Satrapi's distinct drawings from the books. As a book reader, I found it enjoyable, but not exactly gripping. The film's narrative felt underdeveloped; a lot has been added — including a substantial increase in the amount and magnitude of swearing compared to the books' sparse and relatively mild expletives — but nothing of great impact, and in exchange most of the stages of Satrapi's life are glossed…

• SJHoneywell

★★★★½ Added by SJHoneywell

When identity
    is tied to culture, what if
    You lose that culture?