• jonbonraki

★★★★ Added by jonbonraki

to me this takes a plunge into a different culture, and it clearly goes in a path of how confused someone can become due to experience of different cultures.

I really enjoyed this story, and think it's a good introduction to the graphic novel format for reluctant readers. Those who like biographies, cultural and historical dramas, and stories of personal journeys will no doubt enjoy this book. Highly recommended.

• Chriskr

★★★★ Added by Chriskr

A really nice adaption of Marjane Satrapi's autobiographic graphic novel. The style stays very true to that of the comic.

• ApeLincoln

★★★★★ Watched by ApeLincoln 26 Oct, 2014

An interesting and emotional powerful piece about growing up in times of the Iranian Revolution.

• Gaz Elliott

★★★★ Watched by Gaz Elliott 22 Oct, 2014

Poignant coming-of-age story of a precocious and outspoken young Iranian girl that begins during the Islamic Revolution.

• Jason Miller

★★★★½ Added by Jason Miller

A little more clunky than I remember it being (structurally) but the phenomenal use of animated transition sequences make those easier to gloss over.
    Obviously still as funny, sweet, melancholy and beautifully political as I remember it being. Truly one of the best coming of age stories while at the same time being incredibly informational as well.

Few films use animation as a keystone in the storytelling and show why it needs to exist.

• astrohkid

★★★ Watched by astrohkid 22 Sep, 2014

Persepolis is certainly a good film, with some great animation that to my surprise was all hand drawn, and some interesting ideas. The main issue is that the film doesn't reflect Marjane's personality at all. It's obvious that she goes through some serious change through the film and I appreciate all the little details but she isn't really represented well. I don't feel like I knew who she was. And that's a problem, seeing as it's an entire coming of…

• ccoleman3

★★★★ Watched by ccoleman3 24 Sep, 2014

Really good movie. Great visuals, compelling story. Just loved how grounded the rebellious spirit of the girl was.

• Christian Flemm

★★★★ Watched by Christian Flemm 16 Sep, 2014

Looks absolutely gorgeous and sports a fantastic message all the while giving outsiders a glimpse into the life of the oppressed Irani citizen in the 1980s. What restricts PERSEPOLIS from truly becoming great is how frequently bildungsroman cliches pop up. They're hard to avoid (and Nick Kline pretty much hits the nail on the head in his IDA review), but it annoys me to an extent when they are in a film as powerful as PERSEPOLIS. FRANCES HA was a…

• Windyblue

★★★★ Added by Windyblue

Warning:
    Misogyny
    Male supremacy
    Sexualization of women

• Carlos Rodríguez

★★★★½ Watched by Carlos Rodríguez 24 Aug, 2011

It's unbelievable the fact that this animated film, encompassing so many different topics and themes at the same time, manages to succeed enormously in each one of them. It is a coming-of-age tale and also a film with a clear political and social message, and since it portrays a culture most of us in the Western world are not familiar with, on that side, it's also an engrossing and interesting viewing.

Persepolis is basically a drama, but it never lost…

• funsohng

Added by funsohng

Persepolis is a magnificent animation about war, maturity, nation and family; a true classic.

• nikae

★★★ Added by nikae

A good animation describing history and politics through a girl's life.