• Shelly

★★★½ Added by Shelly

Solid adaptation of the source material. The animation kept the art style of Satrapi's novel and was unique among the computer graphics of mainstream animation. I need to see more French animated films.

•  Justin Purwitsky

★★★★½ Watched by Justin Purwitsky 06 Aug, 2013

A blisteringly creative, different and original film.
    An animated film that shows and proves that cartoons don't only need to be for kids.
    It is enjoyable and effective and it will have your emotions run wild.
    It's funny, it's sad, it's dramatic and it imparts a powerful message that cannot and should not be ignored.
    It is a film that should be seen by anyone and everyone over the age of seven and all around the world.

91/100

• cineedo
  • Luis Sierra

★★★★ Watched by Luis Sierra 07 Apr, 2014

Comencé a ver la película un tanto predispuesto por el aspecto de los personajes pero enseguida te atrapa lo genial y cuidado de las animaciones. La trama involucra muchos temas: guerra, revolución, represión política, fundamentalismo islámico, las dificultades de vivir como extranjero, la fe, la búsqueda de identidad y la auto realización, vistas desde el transcurrir en la vida de Marjane: una niña criada en el seno de una familia de izquierda, una adolescente deprimida enfrentando el hambre y la…

• Jon_Kissel

★★★★ Watched by Jon_Kissel 28 Mar, 2014

Two 2007 films were near-identical adaptations of their original graphic novel properties. In addition to that structural similarity, both also happened to heavily feature Persia. Where 300 cast Persians as otherworldly tyrants with disfigured harems and a disregard for life in general, Persepolis prefers a more humanist approach. Instead of a clash of civilizations playing out at the Hot Gates, the conflict in Persepolis lives in a woman torn between two cultures. Marjane Satrapi’s autobiographical film has the edge on…

• elias1026

★★★★ Added by elias1026

watching this film just extended the greatness of the book onto a screen, one of the most amazing animated films.

• Big Screen Reviews

★★★★ Watched by Big Screen Reviews 10 Mar, 2014

Persepolis is a coming of age story about Marjane, an Iranian girl with big hopes and dreams.

The film follows both the struggles, mistakes and sweet young adventures of Marjane, as she grows from a young child to a young adolescent. Spectators view the world through the eyes of a young protagonist. I thought this was interesting to work with, but we are given the chance to relate to Marjane. As people, we can look back on our younger years…

• Connor Denney

★★ Rewatched by Connor Denney 24 Mar, 2014

The animation is simplistic (just like the graphic novel it was based on), which doesn't really work with the serious themes expressed. We also have trouble sympathizing with the main character, as she does not have many redeeming qualities. It does provide an interesting look at how this era in Iran affected families.

• Taylor Walker

★★★★ Watched by Taylor Walker 20 Mar, 2014

Even though the first half hour is one of THE densest exposition dumps I've seen in a while, the art and animation is so amazingly beautiful, I just forget all my mild grievances as soon as they appear.
    One of the best animated films mad in recent years.

• fatpie42

★★★★★ Watched by fatpie42 16 Nov, 2013

This is simply the story of an ordinary Iranian girl and yet I think its impact may partly explain why I was so underwhelmed by the film "Argo". The wonderful animation style and plucky-yet-fallible central protagonist introduce us clearly to life during this period of huge political change and conflict in Iran. We also see the odd relationship Iran has with the west, both from inside and outside the country.

The film is an adaptation of an auto-biographical graphic novel…

• Irys_Cenobite

★★★★★ Added by Irys_Cenobite

Probably my favorite animated movie of all time

• Zane Burton

★★★★ Watched by Zane Burton 20 Feb, 2014

This review reportedly contains spoilers. I can handle the truth.