• Andrew R.

★★★★½ Added by Andrew R.

Mostly just sets the book into motion, but what thrilling motion it is!

• Tess

★★★★ Watched by Tess 26 Aug, 2016

4 || a movie with an adapted screenplay + main female character

Ahhh  brilliant!! How the fuck did this lose to Ratatouille at the Academy Awards I'm ??

• Ana F Torres

★★★★★ Watched by Ana F Torres 21 Aug, 2016

Está demasiado padre esta película. Nunca veo películas animadas y tampoco leo cómics pero me encargaron verla y fue una gran sorpresa. Ahora me voy a escribir mi análisis para clase.

Persepolis est une histoire d'identité.
    Quand l'oncle Anoush le dise à Marjane "étoile de ma vie" j'ai pleuré.

• Sander

★★★★ Watched by Sander 02 Aug, 2016

#52filmsbywomen

Film 35: Persepolis

Persepolis is a piece of animation art. When you love animation movies you need to watch this film. The film is one of a kind in the art of storrytelling. The movie switch between black and white and colour, but the biggest part of the movie is the movie in black and white.

The animation is truly amazing and the story is very interesting, so I liked this movie very much.

• Vivek Santhosh

★★★★½ Watched by Vivek Santhosh 20 Jun, 2016

A brilliantly animated coming of age tale based on the true accounts of a woman born in Iran under the backdrop of the Iranian revolution with a strong political undercurrent, especially against the disgraceful misogyny that exists even today in Iran.

Loved the way how it balances the historic relevance of the time it illustrates and the personal issues of the protagonist while drawing a compelling narrative out of it with deep insights and intelligent humour.

Can't wait to get my hands on Marjane Satrapi's autobiographical graphic novel of the same name, from which it was adapted.

• nalimodanepi

★★★★ Added by nalimodanepi

Una pequeña joya. A veces lo más simple es lo que más te llena. Un repaso a la historia reciente de Irán al mismo tiempo que una niña va madurando a marchas forzadas. Una prueba más que lo importante no es el medio que se utiliza sino la historia que se cuenta. Muy recomendable.

• Treefingrs

★★★★★ Added by Treefingrs

Awesome visuals, super insightful story. It's clear that Satrapi loves her country, but hates what's been happening to it. It's great to hear about this part of the world from someone who calls it home.

• LejS

★★★★½ Watched by LejS 11 Aug, 2016

I am reminded of this quote.

“So, here you are,
    Too foreign for home,
    Too foreign for here,
    Never enough for both…”

How relatable this film is to anyone who's ever felt just a little bit out of place. I imagine that's what young Marjane felt and maybe grown-up Marjane still feels.

The film, and the book it's based on, are ambitious undertakings. Telling the story of a revolution and a political shift that would have geopolitical repercussions for decades…

• Håkon Munthe-Kaas

★★★★ Added by Håkon Munthe-Kaas 2

A fantastic breath of fresh air. Persepolis proves that animated movies can purely be made for adults too. With a great sense of noir style in the dark and bleak animation, and a intriging and thought-provoking story, this movie will get on your mind for days. For some reason this movie manages to be very serious and funny at the same time. This is a must see for every movie gover.

• Christopher Luciano

★★★★ Watched by Christopher Luciano 24 Jun, 2016

Wow. It seems whenever I feel I have a good grasp of what I feel are the greatest animated movies of all time I see another foreign animated film and realize how little I know about animated movies. Persepolis follows the childhood of Marjane Satrapi. As a young girl, Marji lived in Tehran and wanted to be a prophet and a disciple of Bruce Lee. Her childhood ambition is the general uprising against the Shah of Iran. Her middle-class family…

• Yosmel Araujo

★★★★ Watched by Yosmel Araujo 02 Aug, 2016

Marjane's grandmother: Listen. I don't like to preach, but here's some advice. You'll meet a lot of jerks in life. If they hurt you, remember it's because they're stupid. Don't react to their cruelty. There's nothing worse than bitterness and revenge. Keep your dignity and be true to yourself.

This was funnily (the few comic situations, Marjane's grandmother, the satirical moments) frustrating (the whole movie).

• Zuul

★★★★ Watched by Zuul 17 Jul, 2016

July Scavenger Hunt | Film #27, Task #26
    An animation without talking animals, fairy tale elements, fantasy or sci-fi.
    ---

A very interesting story about the way Iran changed in the late seventies, seen from the perspective of a young girl growing up in that place and time. The animation ain't Disney but it has a certain appeal to it. The script, it's based on the life of Marjane Satrapi, is touching, sometimes heartbreaking, sometimes hilarious. A very interesting film.

8/10