• Jacob Berkowitz

★★★★½ Watched by Jacob Berkowitz 04 Dec, 2016

An emotionally gripping film, complimented by a boldly unique animation style. Runs the gamut tonally, from piercingly haunting to featuring one of the funniest musical sequences ever committed to film. Another great reminder that, while Disney and Studio Ghibli do consistently good work, it's often refreshing and exhilarating to venture outside of the animation box.

• Ryder

★★★★½ Watched by Ryder 28 Nov, 2016

"Freedom always has a price."

It's amazing that the message of staying true to oneself always manages to worm its way into all kinds of animation, even the arthouse kind like Persepolis. Perhaps I should quit griping and merely accept that it's a universal message capable of fitting in any story, even one as grim as the tragedy of an immigrant child seeking freedom from her war-torn country.

If there's ever an example of the depth the animation medium could…

• Fernan

★★★★ Added by Fernan

Look at our current situation with that camel fucker over in Iraq.

• Wagner

★★★★ Watched by Wagner 26 Nov, 2016 2

Movie 10 of 52 Films By Women

A great coming of age story that does a terrific job showing how impacful the islamic revolution and subsequent war was in the protagonist's life and how it shaped her personality. It's a heartfelt movie and Marjane is a really engaging character.

• julianne

★★★★½ Watched by julianne 25 Nov, 2016

this was genuinely one of the most personal, memorable, and impactful animated movies i've seen yet. seeing a graphic novel brought to life with such beautiful and artistic movement is such a magical experience and a powerful one too as the narrative is just so heartbreaking and real. wow. i'm never gonna forget this one

• N

★★★★½ Watched by N 24 Nov, 2016

this was really good

• Richard Doyle

★★★½ Rewatched by Richard Doyle 23 Nov, 2016

Marjane Satrapi adapts her own graphic novel about growing up in Iran during and after the Islamic revolution that ousted the Shah. Although I prefer the graphic novel, which goes a little deeper into some topics, particular her nascent "punk rock" rebellion and her love for Iron Maiden, it's a great film whose animation preserves the simple visual appeal of the book. I think the first half is quite a bit stronger than the second, which loses focus a bit…

• Stephanie Castro

★★★★½ Added by Stephanie Castro

It is a strong statement about the life of a woman who lived an important historical transition in her country, in which the liberty of women were restricted and a new ideology were imposed to people. Telling the story from her point of view since she was a little child until adulthood and the consequences she had to face.
    One of the main topics was the acceptance of her nationality as her identity and not losing her integrity despite of…

• Leo Smith

★★★★ Watched by Leo Smith 23 Nov, 2016

Simple visuals for a complex political biography. Beautiful in aesthetics, humour and character.

• WASW

★★★★ Watched by WASW 20 Nov, 2016

Still very good.

• Joonas Koivula

½ Watched by Joonas Koivula 18 Nov, 2016

Scavenger Hunt #20 - Task 20

... GOSH!

I'm not a huge fan of French movies and this one once again reminded me why.

Awful music and the animation is quite ugly. The subject was boring and the purpose of it all was unclear to me. I know that this is an somekind of an adaptation of a comic and maybe I need to know that in advance? Who knows, I really don't wanna know it.

1h 35min that I will never get back!

• Seda

★★★½ Watched by Seda 15 Nov, 2016

muhafazakar bir toplumda özgürlüğüne bağlı ve özgürlüğünü arayan bir kız...
    manipüle edilen bir dinin ne tarz sonuçlar doğuracağı bize yönetmenin kendi tecrübeleriyle olağanca bir gerçeklikle aktarılmış.

ben şahsen bu filmin oldukça yararlı olduğunu ve üstüne düşünülmesi gerektiğini düşünüyorum.
    filmin özü o kadar güzeldi ki..
    filmin objektif olduğunu söylemek tabiki mümkün değil sonuçta yönetmenin kendi hayatı.
    ayrıca olaydan çok olaya tepki var filmde, eğer olaylar hakkında bilgi edinilmek isteniyorsa daha detaylı bir araştırma yapılması gerekir.