• Zim Dela Peña

★★★★★ Watched by Zim Dela Peña 25 Jan, 2015

Artsy. Informative. Entertaining. *yet* Depressing.

Ponder Persepolis (Quotes from the movie):
    1. Listen. I don't like to preach, but here's some advice. You'll meet a lot of jerks in life. If they hurt you, remember it's because they're stupid. Don't react to their cruelty. There's nothing worse than bitterness and revenge. Keep your dignity and be true to yourself.
    2. Never forget who you are and where you're from.
    3. It's fear that makes us lose our self-awareness.

That's all.
    08:28 pm, Jan. 25, 2015

• Jason MD-P

★★★★ Added by Jason MD-P

Brilliantly animated. I don't remember the book ending on such a down note, but I read it a while ago...

• Christopher Runyon

★★★★½ Watched by Christopher Runyon 13 Jan, 2015

Or: The Tale of the Princess Marjane

At 95 minutes, this manages to be one of the most full, detailed, nuanced portraits of a woman's lifetime I've ever seen. Fascinating not only for its unique Iranian voice, but also for how full of care Satrapi has for all the people from her life story, and how the gorgeous black-and-white animation draws us in.

Punk is not ded.

• Rida

★★★★ Watched by Rida 29 Dec, 2014 8

The eternal cliché: I was a stranger in Austria and now I've become one in my own country. The woes of being an immigrant child. I understand and sympathize deeply with the protagonist in Persepolis, a bright young woman named Marjane. She’s astonishingly rude sometimes, but mostly she’s a funny, self-possessed character, weighed down by terrible circumstances.

The animation is surprisingly lovely. I’m generally not a big fan of animated films, or at least not enough of a fan to…

• Elliot Fane

★★★½ Watched by Elliot Fane 05 Jan, 2015

The main reasons I like this film is because of the stylized drawings that provide nice visuals and the coming of age story with the unique backdrop of the Iranian Revolution! I saw the English dub... Which did not feature the best of performances, the film also has a few moments or scenes that work as a complete tonal shift. Otherwise, it was quite entertaining!

• Antonio Sánchez

★★★★ Watched by Antonio Sánchez 29 Dec, 2014

Una gran película de animación sin pretensiones hablando de la vida tal y como es. Polémica sí pero es la realidad. Tiene un estilo cartoon muy marcado y eso de que en casi su totalidad sea en blanco y negro le da un toque decadente y oscuro acordes a las vivencias de Mariane. No he leído la novela gráfica pero es una de las mejores películas de animación modernas.

• Andrew Neill

★★★½ Watched by Andrew Neill 31 Mar, 2014

Subtitled animation is not something I am that in to this story of a young Iranian girl trying to find the meaning of her life is interesting and kept me wanting to see what was going to happen so it delivers.

• pheyduck

★★★★ Watched by pheyduck 19 Dec, 2014

Beautiful animation, learned a lot about life in Iran

• Panta Oz

★★★ Added by Panta Oz

This French animated film based on Marjane Satrapi's autobiographical graphic novel of the same name. The film was written and directed by Satrapi with Vincent Paronnaud. I understand how popular was the book in France, following the story a young girl as she comes of age against the backdrop of the Iranian Revolution. France had its share of involvement during the Iranian revolutionary times, and somehow the audience was very sympathetic to the film which ends with Marjane as a…

• Jessica Carr

★★★★★ Watched by Jessica Carr 13 Dec, 2014

"Never forget who you are and where you're from."

I loved everything about this movie. The strikingly beautiful art style paired with the true story of a young woman dealing with the oppression of a tyrannical state just blew me away. EVERYONE needs to understand what women in other cultures go through. EVERYONE needs to see this movie.

P.S. Punk is not ded

• Liam

★★★★★ Added by Liam

A film shaped by a book; a book shaped by a life; a life shaped by a culture; a culture shaped by history; a history shaped by a time; a time shaped by time. The images alone are powerful, but when the film adds the voice of a generation to the script, that's when you're punched in the gut and realize that the world is suffering.

• Matt Newton

★★★★ Added by Matt Newton

Marjane Satrapi and Vincent Paronnaud’s animated film (based upon Satrapi’s graphic novel of the same name) is a refreshing, hand-drawn entry in a slew of computer-generated cartoons currently monopolized by the Pixar and DreamWorks Animation bunch. The film follows Satrapi as a forthright nine year-old girl living in Iran at the start of the Islamic Revolution. The Shah is overthrown and the people are elated, that is, until their hopes for freedom are buried with the introduction of an Islamic…