• Carlos Rodríguez

★★★★½ Watched by Carlos Rodríguez 24 Aug, 2011

It's unbelievable the fact that this animated film, encompassing so many different topics and themes at the same time, manages to succeed enormously in each one of them. It is a coming-of-age tale and also a film with a clear political and social message, and since it portrays a culture most of us in the Western world are not familiar with, on that side, it's also an engrossing and interesting viewing.

Persepolis is basically a drama, but it never lost…

• funsohng

Added by funsohng

Persepolis is a magnificent animation about war, maturity, nation and family; a true classic.

• nikae

★★★ Added by nikae

A good animation describing history and politics through a girl's life.

• MARTIN BRADLEY

★★★½ Watched by MARTIN BRADLEY 29 Aug, 2014

What makes a great animated film? Is it the skill of the animators in creating images that convey to us a sense of magic or even realism or indeed both or does the skill lie in the writing, in the telling of the tale? The best graphic novels or cartoons don't often leap off the page at us; their greatness often lies in what they are saying, what they are telling us. The film PERSEPOLIS is based on the very…

• Barbara Henry

★★★★★ Added by Barbara Henry

PERSEPOLIS is far more affecting than I expected it to be, and its images stayed with me for several days as I theorized how it managed to get so deep into my psyche. There's something very powerful about animation that transcends the everyday and the barely noticeable. Add to that the universality of black-and-white (the symbology of dreams), and scenes that might have been relatively banal in live-action, living-color become immediate, vivid, and personal. The story of PERSEPOLIS is a…

• TJ Ponder

★★★★ Added by TJ Ponder

This is the first foreign film I've seen, and I was surprised by how much I liked it. Set against the backdrop of the Iranian Revolution, it's a great story about finding yourself, and embracing where you come from.

• Chad Brownstein

★★★★½ Watched by Chad Brownstein 24 Aug, 2014

Near perfect film, except I gee tired of it's episodic nature. Rather than one continuous film it felt like many separate segments, though very good, thrown together.

• Magdi

★★★½ Watched by Magdi 25 Aug, 2014

Persepolis' best attribute is its animation, which is aesthetically fluid and unique yet allows all the characters to be distinctively recognizable despite a (mostly) black and white palette and simple art style. It's phenomenal and it's pretty sad that there's barely anything out there like it. The coming of age story in the first half is strong and well written, but it loses steam in the second half, where it's hard to connect with the protagonists struggles as it isn't well connected with the first half's foreign dictator setting in contrast to the protagonist's experience in Europe.

• Imam Achmad

★★★★ Watched by Imam Achmad 23 Aug, 2014

"The day before my departure, grandma came to sleep at home. Every morning she would put fresh jasmine flowers in her bra. When she was taking it off, the flowers would fall from her breasts. It was magical."

• purplescai

Added by purplescai

Fucking boring. Best parts were those without the main character, who doesn't "come of age" at all. Then it just ends at one point.

• felixlemay

★★★★½ Added by felixlemay

À voir

• Alexson Philipiah

★★★½ Added by Alexson Philipiah

A funny, moving and slightly haunting coming of age animated tale about an Iranian female during the Iranian Revolution. I found it a tad bit too fast paced and making light of serious events and the last quarter seemed almost somewhat aimless but as a whole, it's a pretty good movie. Beautifully animated. Black and white film lovers will have major boners for this film. Although I hope this film doesn't give people a basis to spew their anti Islam…