• Sarah Z

★★★★ Watched by Sarah Z 30 Jul, 2015

Incredibly powerful and personal telling with stunning animation. Watched the english dub and didn't love all the voice acting, though.

• Frederick Parra

★★★★½ Watched by Frederick Parra 20 Jul, 2015

This review reportedly contains spoilers. I can handle the truth.

Bellísimo largometraje.

Funciona como una especie de documental, muy bien estructurado, sobre la historia de Irán entre los 70s y 90s, pero a través de una historia fervorosa de una niña que va creciendo entre ese revoltoso clima social y político. Sus cambios de ritmo, que van del drama, el suspenso, hasta pasar por la comedia, lo hacen relucir como una película única en su especie.

La animación, tan sencilla al ojo pero tan pulcra y cuidada, le da un…

• Hana Kraus

★★★★★ Rewatched by Hana Kraus 12 Jul, 2015

Love this movie so much.

Was surrounded by 12 year old idiots who laugh at swear words and their big heads covered the subtitles.

• Danno Klonowski

★★★★ Added by Danno Klonowski

from my old DAILY ROTATION reviews:
    www.thedailyrotation.com/author/danno-klonowski

During its late 2007/early 2008 American release, Marjane Satrapi— the cartoonist/creator of the graphic novel and co-writer/director of the animated film Persepolis—was in Minnesota on a speaking/promotional tour. While I did not find out about it until after it happened, fortunately some friends of mine were in attendance. Despite Satrapi’s fascinating talk about her life growing up in Revolutionary Iran in the late 1970s and early 80s, my friends told me the most…

• film|captures

★★★½ Watched by film|captures 10 Jul, 2015

Fear lulls our minds to sleep.

• Jeroen Blom

★★★★½ Watched by Jeroen Blom 07 Jul, 2015

A beautiful piece of animation sharing an intimate inside view of a young woman's life in historical Iran. Though it's a bit slow to start, Persepolis pulls you in as you go along and prefers to show the fear and annoyance that is everyday occurence in a religious theocracy, rather than focusing on the great and terrible events in history. This approach shines a light on life in such a society while at the same time maintaining a certain lightness…

• James Burns

★★★★★ Watched by James Burns 01 Jul, 2015

The most beautiful animated film I have ever seen, with a moving story of politics and love and growing up that everyone should see. I can't say much more about it since I just finished it, but I think this movie could end up in my top 10 animated films, and it'll be high on my favorite films list.

• Justin Rivera

★★★★★ Added by Justin Rivera

Marjane Satrapi's debut film is a haunting look at ignorance, war, and life in Iran during the Islamic Revolution.

It may be depressing at times, but it's also wildly funny, intelligent, sensitive and absolutely beautiful.

Boasting strong vocal performances from the entire cast, as well as absolutely stunning monochrome animation, not to mention a quirky and whimsical script, "Persepolis" is fantastic.

• Ainis94

★★★★½ Watched by Ainis94 26 Jun, 2015

Aunque le tenía ganas no sabía muy bien qué esperar de ella, pero oye, me ha sorprendido para bien. Para empezar, centrándome en lo visual, la animación me ha encantado; muy bonita y adecuada para la historia. Y luego del argumento, la historia (basada en hechos reales de verdad, no como lo que ponen en las pelis de terror) me ha gustado como a pesar de ser una historia triste y trágica, encima narrada en primera persona, tiene esos toques de humor que hacen que no sea un dramón más.

• Colin Stacy

★★★★½ Watched by Colin Stacy 17 Jun, 2015

An evocative and beautifully fluid cinefemmemoir (cinematic + feminine + memoir, get it?) hewn from the ash of memory and war. A sloshing, morphing cultural/regional identity freewheeling through the Middle East and Europe. Irani-form yet never bound. Who is Marjane? All who have told her this world's tales.

• fugitivo5

★★★★★ Added by fugitivo5

Nuevos clásicos.

• Varghese Eapen

★★★★½ Watched by Varghese Eapen 12 Jun, 2015

It's unimaginable how the Iranians suffered under the rule of the Shah and during the 8 year war with Iraq..The sad thing is that the restrictions imposed then exist even now..Making this in Black and White was a masterstroke..Scary,rebellious,psychedelic and haunting imagery will stay with you for years to come...Great companion piece along with Waltz with Bashir.