• Jeff_J

★★★★ Watched by Jeff_J 17 Sep, 2015

Film #13 of the "September 2015 Scavenger Hunt" Challenge!
    Task #12. A cartoon for grownups!

Quick Thoughts:
    I watched this movie a week ago while sick so I'll just have a few quick thoughts. I really liked this, but I fully anticipated that I would. I've read bits and pieces of the book and always really loved the minimalist art style, the imaginative and surreal visuals, and the frank and refreshing perspective of it all. The film…

• Zach B

★★★★ Watched by Zach B 15 Sep, 2015

This was a pretty awesome film. I honestly had no idea what to expect. The animation was fantastic. Animation is so often wasted when the filmmakers try to make things as they would be in real life. The animators of this film took advantage of the surreal images to capture real emotions and scenarios. The film was hilarious and sad. There were strong tonal shifts but they always transitioned so well. I’d recommend this film to most.

• Pax

★★★★½ Watched by Pax 09 Sep, 2015

Beautiful mix of humorous and serious tone to tell a tragic story.

• Iturbinho

★★★ Watched by Iturbinho 02 Sep, 2015

Es que ya me he leído el cómic y para lo mismo...

• Søren Hough

★★★★½ Added by Søren Hough

Analyzing Perspolis through the lens of Thomas Lamarre: moviefail.com/dimensionality-evokes-perception-life-persepolis/

• nrbeaton

★★★ Watched by nrbeaton 30 Jun, 2011

Beautifully animated but at times lacks smooth continuity.

★★★★ Added by VICPERSA

Película biográfica que entretiene ,divierte y educa . Una crítica mordaz a las sociedad Islamista y Occidental desde la visión de una expatriada dentro y fuera de su país. No se deja títere con cabeza.

• Steve Moyle

★★★★ Added by Steve Moyle

The animated film Persepolis begins right before the Iranian Revolution which occurred in 1979 and follows the life of an Iranian girl. It goes forward in time to after the Revolution so we see the effects it has on our main character and those around her. The animation is great and it's very deep and realistic with human emotions. I only felt that it could have been longer with the amount of time it covered as it seems like some parts needed to be more stretched out although I see not many people have such a complaint towards it.

• Shachar Gannot

★★★★ Watched by Shachar Gannot 02 Aug, 2015

When 99.99% of your constituents democratically vote for a dictatorship, there is something seriously wrong. This phenomenon is very important to me because I feel that, recently, a substantial percentage of my own country's population chose the continued, basically, dictatorship of Benjamin Netanyahu.

As for the film itself, Persepolis was a great one. I very much enjoyed the animation style and loved the struggles of this girl's identity abroad. "They see us like animals," she tells an imagined figure supposed…

• Sarah Z

★★★★ Watched by Sarah Z 30 Jul, 2015

Incredibly powerful and personal telling with stunning animation. Watched the english dub and didn't love all the voice acting, though.

• Frederick Parra

★★★★½ Watched by Frederick Parra 20 Jul, 2015

This review reportedly contains spoilers. I can handle the truth.

Bellísimo largometraje.

Funciona como una especie de documental, muy bien estructurado, sobre la historia de Irán entre los 70s y 90s, pero a través de una historia fervorosa de una niña que va creciendo entre ese revoltoso clima social y político. Sus cambios de ritmo, que van del drama, el suspenso, hasta pasar por la comedia, lo hacen relucir como una película única en su especie.

La animación, tan sencilla al ojo pero tan pulcra y cuidada, le da un…

• Hana Kraus

★★★★★ Rewatched by Hana Kraus 12 Jul, 2015

Love this movie so much.

Was surrounded by 12 year old idiots who laugh at swear words and their big heads covered the subtitles.