• Patrick Devitt

★★★ Watched by Patrick Devitt 01 Nov, 2015

There is no doubt in my mind that I would not have enjoyed Pieces to such great extent if I saw it alone on my computer. Luckily, I was fortunate enough to catch a 35mm print of Pieces screening at The Film Society of Lincoln Center with an audience that enjoyed it just as much as I did. Simón has crafted something that very few directors have ever been able to pull off in as extraordinarily entertaining of a fashion.…

• Bevacqua

★★★★★ Watched by Bevacqua 01 Nov, 2015

A challenger to the throne of the best worst movie! So many bad movie tropes: tacky style, bad acting, silly script, racism, terrible editing, laughable violence, stupid non sequiturs, gratuitous nudity (including, somehow, male full frontal), and a bat-shit insane ending; this movie has it all!

• PRY

★★★½ Watched by PRY 03 Nov, 2015 2

A mad, mad film with rad, rad gore and a twisted reveal.

• Josh Bogatin

Watched by Josh Bogatin 01 Nov, 2015

"The most beautiful thing in life is smoking pot and fucking on a waterbed at the same time." - Busty Coed with a joint

Beautiful allegory of man's desire to have the phallus and the destructive consumption of women that this entails. The film is filled with metonymy linking heterosexual sex to masculine violence and dismemberment of the female body.

Also perhaps one of the greatest and most absurd uses of the Lewton bus to ever grace cinema i.e. "Oh, hey, it's my Kung Fu professor. What's the story Chao?"

• Oily Maniac

★★★★ Added by Oily Maniac

Fours stars for fun.
    If you like slasher films or Eurohorror, this delivers the gory goods along with lots of WTF moments of so stupid it's funny.

I say this as someone who wants to choke audience members for laughing at Lucio Fulci zombie films.

• Brian Izzi

★★★★ Rewatched by Brian Izzi 31 Oct, 2015

• Jeremiah Dollins

★★★ Watched by Jeremiah Dollins 30 Oct, 2015

For all of the issues that 1980s direct-to-video slasher flicks have -- static camera work, poor acting, silly plots -- they make up for it with the excitement of a kid with a new toy. The slasher boom of the early 80s got every horror filmmaker charged up, and the set piece nature of the sub-genre brought out a sense of oneupsmanship.

That energy is definitely on display in PIECES, a highly-exploitative slasher about a killer who uses a chainsaw…

• Daniel Rodriguez

★★★★ Watched by Daniel Rodriguez 30 Oct, 2015 3

Hoop-Tober 2.0 #36 ENCORE

Fun fact: Last night I dreamt that someone hacked my letterboxd account and deleted everything in it. WORST. NIGHTMARE. EVER.

Now back to Pieces...

Juan Piquet Simon's Slugs was a huge desappointment for me and that gave me second thoughts about Pieces' qualities, which I have always heard to be one of the greatest slashers of all time. That proved to be a silly misjudgement, since Pieces turned out to be even better than I expected!…

• Forrest B P

★★½ Watched by Forrest B P 28 Oct, 2015

It doesn't always make sense--and a lot of the acting and dialogue can be difficult to swallow--but Pieces does make the best of its low budget and top notch gore to deliver a shocking, if somewhat typical, 80s slasher.

• Craigination

★★★ Added by Craigination

A little boy is abused by his mother after she catches him putting together a jigsaw puzzle of a naked woman, so he chops her to pieces. Forty years later, the little boy has grown into man who stalks a campus, chopping up women for their body parts in order to put together the perfect woman.

What a *piece* of work this movie is (pun intended). Don't misunderstand my 3-star rating - it's not that the movie is necessarily good.…

• SouloGuero

★★★ Watched by SouloGuero 28 Oct, 2015

Splatter art.

• Justin LaLiberty

★★★ Rewatched by Justin LaLiberty 25 Oct, 2015

And I thought that I had a jigsaw puzzle obsession as a kid. I'm pretty sure that this movie has given me an unfair distrust of gardeners and/or anyone wearing a black, brimmed hat. That kung-fu dude needs more screen time.