• Snooze00

★½ Watched by Snooze00 18 Dec, 2014

This movie was a typical 80's low budget pile of poo.

• Nuno Costa

★★★½ Watched by Nuno Costa 17 Dec, 2014

Viewed on DVD

I finally got to see Carpenter's Prince Of Darkness.
    Why this film wasn't on my radar until becoming an avid Letterboxd user and seeing all of the praise it receives, I don't know.

It's a little kooky like most of Carpenter's work and has his wonderful music.

I must admit I had a little trouble getting into it at first but the ending is so compelling and well done.

I can't wait for the rewatch.

• Airunh23

★★★★½ Rewatched by Airunh23 15 Dec, 2014

Prince of Darkness (1987)

My Rating: B+

Prince of Darkness marked the end of John Carpenter being at the peak of his powers IMO although In The Mouth of Madness and Vampires are strong. Amazing score, original plot, good acting, and atmosphere carry this movie and make it a fun ride from beginning to end.

• joelhwa

★★★ Watched by joelhwa 12 Jul, 2010

6/10: One of Carpenter's most under-rated film, but not as good as The Thing. Slow start but it slowly but surely creeps into you.

• PnkLdy783

★★★★ Rewatched by PnkLdy783 11 Dec, 2014 1

One of my faves I can literally watch back-to-back!!!!

• MCholodewitsch

★★½ Added by MCholodewitsch

The Devil is an alien life form and his son is flubber, mix in a classic John Carpenter score and this movie should have been scarier or more entertaining. Its alright, but a little disappointing considering he had it in him to make They Live at the same time.

• Tim

★★ Added by Tim

Although his films were not always successful, John Carpenter is a very adventurous filmmaker who is never content to make the same movie twice. "Prince of Darkness" is very ambitious, but it fails to follow through on the promise of the nifty set-up making it one of the few of his film misfires.

The first half is a whole lot of talk, some of it theological mumbo jumbo and some of it scientific mumbo jumbo, but I was admittedly intrigued…

• AniDji

★★★½ Watched by AniDji 21 Nov, 2014

Le chat de Schrödinger rencontre Satan qui rencontre Alice Cooper qui rencontre des dialogues sans queue ni tête.

Encore une trame sonore réussie.

• Phil

★★★ Added by Phil

This review reportedly contains spoilers. I can handle the truth.

• Devarsi Ghosh

★★ Watched by Devarsi Ghosh 14 Nov, 2014

What a ridiculous movie. Hard to sit through it sober but it is so unintentionally funny (which is the trademark of a bad horror movie) that it can be a great film to watch stoned.

• Bowie

★★★★½ Rewatched by Bowie 07 Nov, 2014

I like it more with each rewatch. The principle cast is great, especially Pleasence and Wong. The whole movie could have just been the two of them talking and it might actually be a better film. It's also clear that no one can get more out of homeless people standing still than Carpenter.

• Stephen Earnest

★★ Watched by Stephen Earnest 05 Nov, 2014

I tend to like John Carpenter films; I also tend to think that he is a terrible director. The man has a penchant for filling the frame with startling imagery—a penchant that proves to be his greatest asset here—but his one-note, stylized, near self-parodic approach is largely grueling. He is a rare breed of filmmaker; one that has the ability to envision and set up potentially horrifying scenarios and create lasting, nightmarish images, yet rarely pulls through when it comes…