• Mr_Gameplay

★★★½ Watched by Mr_Gameplay 27 Nov, 2015

First of all, I really loved the style of music, even though it was strongly overused. But without it the movie wouldn't be half as good, so that's pretty much the only reason I gave it a 3.5 rating instead of 2.5-3. It has it's shocking moments, but just as many silly or illogical ones. It's way inferior to the other two parts of the trilogy, but still watchable. Just don't expect too much.

• Stephen Robert Smith

★★★½ Added by Stephen Robert Smith

'Prince of Darkness' is John Carpenter's most ambitious film to date, and probably his most eerie.

Blending together 'Assault on Precinct 13' with 'The Thing', 'Prince of Darkness' is much more character and dialogue driven than many other films of its type. After a couple of films within the studio system, with varied success, Carpenter went back to basics and back to what he knew best, working with a smaller budget. Not that the lack of budget showed at all.…

• fatpie42

★½ Watched by fatpie42 03 May, 2010 1

Quite an awkward John Carpenter movie to get hold of and I'm glad I decided to make the effort. However, it really isn't one of Carpenter's best, nor is it terribly good. It contains some interesting imagery and similar themes to John Carpenter's far superior "In The Mouth Of Madness". The character's are set up pretty well, but the guy we are expected to think of as the male lead starts off (unintentionally) creepy and there are few points where…

• Neil Martin

★★★★ Watched by Neil Martin 18 Nov, 2015

excellently potty Carpenter movie that for some reason I had never got round to seeing. A slow burner that is very creepy in places. Some fantastic images and ideas throughout and certainly an underrated part of his canon.

• Mark Harrison

★★★ Watched by Mark Harrison 17 Nov, 2015

"I have a question, and I know you all have it, too: What is up Satan's ass?! All he wants to do is fuck us up, the dick-licker!" - Mr. Show with Bob & David.

Not as scary as The Thing and more ponderous and slowly-paced than In The Mouths Of Madness, this is the difficult second chapter of John Carpenter's apocalypse trilogy. It takes place at an unusual intersection between religion and science, with shades of Nigel Kneale for good…

• Si Sharp

★★★★½ Rewatched by Si Sharp 15 Nov, 2015

More than most of Carpenter's films, this has just got better and better with age. Poorly received by critics at the time, Prince of Darkness is nightmarish and smart. It manages to marry up science and religion that seems plausible and forces both priest and scientists in the film to accept their limitations.

The limitations of the film - few locations and simple effects are used brilliantly. This is carpenter reining it in after Big Trouble in Little China and what a joy it is.

The Exorcist for atheists.

John Carpenter, Ranked

• Sean Whiteman

Rewatched by Sean Whiteman 15 Nov, 2015

Backgrounded while revising Schrodinger's Vampire. VHS.

• drmorbius79

★★★★ Watched by drmorbius79 13 Nov, 2015

A big Carpenter "first time watch" for me. Definitely one of his more underrated movies.

The film has some fascinating ideas and great practical "gooey" effects. He goes all in here with a terrifying and surrealistic conception of evil. I never thought Satan taking the form of squirting Gatorade would be so bizarre and frightening.

Love the nods to Nigel Kneale and Quartermass, gives it a nice sci-fi horror feel. And of course, because it's Carpenter there's a siege mentality…

• Helen

★★★★ Added by Helen

31 Horror Films in 31 Days: Film 29 (nearly there in this prolonged challenge)

A John Carpenter film I sadly hadn't seen before just so happened to be on the Horror channel last night while I was supposed to be writing. Needless to say that I got kind of sidetracked.

Thought provoking and genuinely creepy horror. I definitely want to watch it again when I'm slightly more awake to truly appreciate it.

• filmga

★★★★ Watched by filmga 13 Nov, 2015

Nicely paced, slow burn, atmospheric horror that I'm glad to finally have been able to watch, having missed out all these years.

• Aljosa

★★★★ Watched by Aljosa 10 Nov, 2015

Don't think I'll be able to sleep tonight D:

• Matthew Blah-blah

★★★★ Added by Matthew Blah-blah

I could listen to Donald Pleasance and Victor Wong talk about Good and Evil in relation to physics on a subatomic level until I grew mustache.