• Chris Mello

★★★½ Watched by Chris Mello 24 Jun, 2015

Like a John Carpenter medley of all the hits. The hits in full were better but this is still a jam.

• Jacob Dornan

★★★★★ Watched by Jacob Dornan 08 Jun, 2015

In fact, YOU WILL NOT BE SAVED!!!

The arrogance of man will be brought low and human pride humbled; the LORD alone will be exalted in that day... (Isaiah 2:17)

• caatnilsson

★★★★½ Watched by caatnilsson 02 Jun, 2015 2

As a huge devotee of the work of John Carpenter, it has always been a thorn in my side that there were a few of his old movies that I've never got round to watching.
    Prince of Darkness was one of these, and today was finally the day when I could sit down in a darkened room, turn on the big screen TV, crank up the surround, and delve into the world of demonic possession that has been entertaining people…

• Chevalier

★★★½ Watched by Chevalier 01 Jun, 2015

Carpenter's underrated slowburn horror fable is one of the most sharp clever takes on religious terror. All those indie hacks trying so hard to imitate Carpenter wish their films were as good as this one.

• Matt Mansfield

★★★★★ Watched by Matt Mansfield 30 May, 2015

"Have you seen Susan?"
    "Who?"
    "You know. Radiologist, glasses."

everyone introduces themselves by name and scientific title(s), then rejects proof of the unprovable and pays for it. Sex becomes love, denial becomes survival, and common sense breaks down at subatomic level. So much to comprehend that anything I say now (and probably for a long time) will be incomprehensible - but I'm pretty sure that the Schrodinger's Cat ending is one of the best in cinema.

• federica

★★★ Watched by federica 29 May, 2015

E io che volevo dormire stanotte.

• Rick DeSantis

★★★★ Rewatched by Rick DeSantis 26 May, 2015

I love this movie. It creeps me out to this day mostly due to the music and the isolated location of the church. The haunting dreams still get my hair to stand-up.

• Jack Keane

★★★★ Watched by Jack Keane 26 May, 2015

"Something like this can really fuck up your weekend."

***

I'll say this for John Carpenter - you can't fault his ambition.
    And bloody hell, 'Prince Of Darkness' is nothing if not mind-bogglingly ambitious.
    Even if (or rather, when) its ambition exceeds its means.
    But don't take that as a criticism, dear Reader, because I really do love this movie's audaciousness for being filled to the 7-million-year-old brim with countless spine-tingling (not to mention conflicting) ideas that most movies wouldn't…

• Florentina

★★ Watched by Florentina 24 May, 2015

Alice Coopers cameo earned this film an extra star from me.

• Neale

★½ Watched by Neale 24 May, 2015

Thumbs Up: Disturbing make-up effects, some trippy visuals towards the end, Donald Pleasance as the Priest with the axe-wielding skills, Alice Cooper's in it for a bit.

Thumbs Down: The plot just doesn't hang together, there's barely enough there for a Twilight Zone episode let alone a full feature. As such the film falls back on performances and dialogue, common weaknesses in JC films and never more so than here - the two leads have positively zero chemistry and are forced to spit out lines that would be embarrassing in a first draft.

• dallasdeath

★★★★★ Watched by dallasdeath 20 May, 2015

Carpenter has reach his appex of his spectacular horror genre movie run with Prince Of Darkness. This movie screams with Carpenters hypnotic synth score throughout the whole movie. The movie goes along with a steady pace a moody atmosphere which harkens back to Carpenters early work halloween, The thing, The Fog, They Live among other homage to other horror gems that held you in gripping fear. A truly classic which deserve to be rank among John Carpenters best work ever.

• Edward Fetner

★★★★ Added by Edward Fetner

In this delightfully typical Carpenter film, a priest discovers a mysterious key left by his deceased superior, and with it he discovers an unholy secret ooze that has been kept under guard in an abandoned church for thousands of years. When the (unnamed) priest starts to notice strange phenomena occurring around him, he seeks out guidance from a world-renowned physics professor and his best students. Thus begins the story of science and religion working together to prevent the arrival of…