• Robert Motherwell

★★★ Added by Robert Motherwell

Fascinating cult favorite shocker by master of horror John Carpenter.
    Group of scientific students join a priest in a weird, abandoned looking church in L.A. where they suspect the devil is soon to rise up from hell to bring the apocalypse. Plot becomes preposterous rather quickly and yet the frightening entertainment never weakens.
    Slow builder but the final twenty minutes lead up to a suspenseful showdown shocker.

• Andrew van Buuren

★★★½ Watched by Andrew van Buuren 01 May, 2016

I watched this because of the Film Junk podcast.

It's fun. Equal parts ludicrous and genuinely creepy.

• Bart Owl

★★★ Watched by Bart Owl 30 Apr, 2016

This should be great - its basically Carpenter riffing on his favorite horror tropes - but its just a mess. Some nice cinematography and the brooding score is excellent, as ever. But its too incoherent and there are too many conflicting elements to really satisfy.

Its an scientific investigation of a haunted house - as per The Stone Tape or The Haunting. But the house is an old church in which the physical embodiment of satan has been found -…

• Michalis

★½ Watched by Michalis 29 Apr, 2016

I watched this movie as part of John Carpenter's "Apocalypse Trilogy" at the Prince Charles Cinema which comprised of:

1) The Thing (1982)
    2) Prince Of Darkness (1987)
    3) In The Mouth Of Madness (1994)

The Thing is undoubtedly a horror classic and deservedly so. I found the alien being inspired by and almost as scary as the one in "Alien" if not even more scary! The main conceit of a shape-shifting creature is inspired and feeds straight into an…

• Nanni Cobretti

Rewatched by Nanni Cobretti 29 Apr, 2016

TRILOGIA DELL'APOCALISSE #2

Ecco, questo è il classico film che corre il rischio di essere contemporaneamente sottovalutato e sopravvalutato. Ambiziosissimo nel tema, zeppo di scene notevoli e con un'atmosfera a tratti paralizzante, ha però una scrittura che si appoggia un po' troppo su supercazzole lovecraftiane che diventa particolarmente  un problema quando quasi tutti gli attori a disposizione sono cagnacci senza speranza - la decisione di buttare nel mucchio il personaggio ironico di Dennis Dun, non a caso l'unico che si…

• Bob P

★★½ Watched by Bob P 27 Apr, 2016

I'm afraid I missed something here. Prince of Darkness isn't bad- it's got a cool score and some equally cool imagery (not to mention Alice Cooper), but it isn't anything special either. Meh.

• centenaryman

★★ Rewatched by centenaryman 27 Apr, 2016

I’ve always found it really difficult to like this film; I think Carpenter has done much better work and this has always felt too cheesy and derivative.
    The film throws science and religion around without any real thought about what either really means, but hey, movie.
    Characters seem flat and unlikable, this is a problem when they’re getting killed off one by one- I didn’t care for any of them.
    Carpenter has always referred to this film as the middle…

• Skele_D

★★★★★ Rewatched by Skele_D 26 Apr, 2016 2

More like Prince of Dankness.

• MrTaylor

★★★½ Watched by MrTaylor 27 Apr, 2016

Pleasence presence means serious Carpenter business and right away it feels vintage cool. Bunch of no-name students on a mysterious assignment in a condemned old church? No problem, should be fine...
    As the other side begins to swirl, we know both worlds will eventually meet. It's kind of like Precinct 13 meets The Fog in a confined location with ghouls lurking outside. The 3rd act is as good as advertised, again, vintage cool via Carpenter.

• Jason Alley

★★★★★ Rewatched by Jason Alley 26 Apr, 2016

It's got everything: Satan, zombies, creepy-crawlies, the end of the world, possession, quantum physics, an earnest exploration of science vs. religion, a tragic love story, and a mentally disturbed Alice Cooper impaling someone with half a bicycle.

It's unbelievably ambitious, totally unique, one of my favorite movies of all time, and would definitely be in the Top 5 if I ever tried to rank John Carpenter's films. And tonight I got to show it to my nephew!

• Jeffry van der Goot

★★★★ Watched by Jeffry van der Goot 25 Apr, 2016

A film that looks beautiful with an interesting concept. Genuinely unnerving scenes. But it feels like it never goes to deep into anything of the ideas it comes up with.

While I do not want a deep lore dive or explanations, it feels like Carpenter is just throwing stuff at the wall to see what is creepy and sticks, which makes the movie feel disjointed.

Nonetheless, a good creeper.

• Noyer

★★★½ Rewatched by Noyer 25 Apr, 2016

While there are better John Carpenter films, I don't think he ever made a film more ambitious than PRINCE OF DARKNESS.

A bleak look at faith, religion, science, and truth, PRINCE OF DARKNESS is a film in which Carpenter aims to make a conceptual horror piece built around ideas and atmosphere, and to a degree, it works. Carpenter quickly establishes a mood of dread that never lets up, and when the film focuses on the characters confronting ideas which challenge…