• peterw5

★★★★ Added by peterw5

This is Lovecraftian horror done right.

• Shaun Corley

★★★★★ Added by Shaun Corley

I saw this movie one weekend in high school. The ending freaked me out. Still does

• Tim Ehrens

★★★½ Watched by Tim Ehrens 19 Aug, 2014

This review reportedly contains spoilers. I can handle the truth.

• Guilherme Gaspar

★★★★½ Rewatched by Guilherme Gaspar 09 Aug, 2014

CHURCH OF ST. GODARD

• Toni Roig

★★★½ Rewatched by Toni Roig 08 Aug, 2014

[English/ Spanish review]

A return to the isolated-group-horror premise so cherished by fans, after Carpenter's attempts at diversification with, well, diverse results. Flawed at times, mostly because of poor supporting cast (thanks our quantic God for Pleasence and Wong), and I'd dare to say for hasty shooting (according to production notes, it was made in four weeks), this is anyway a blast. Full of visual and plot findings (the menacing cylinder, the tachyon-based broadcasts from the future, the nightmarish bunch…

• Pube

★★★ Watched by Pube 03 Aug, 2014

Dr. Loomis, the grandpa from 3 Ninjas, and a bunch of really old graduate students try to stop the apocalypse while eating snacks and drinking sodas.

Favorite scene: 3 Ninjas grandpa turned genius theoretical physicist shakes up a soda can and sprays it all over a demon's face. I like to imagine Carpenter wanted to symbolize the aging ninja's liquid kids, thus, showing superiority over evil in the dirtiest, most vulgar way possible.

Plot hole: Yeah, it's stupid and unnecessary…

• Carl Ingebretsen

★★★★ Watched by Carl Ingebretsen 03 Aug, 2014

A fantastic old-school horror movie.

I want to sleep now.

• MadVinnie22

★★★★ Rewatched by MadVinnie22 26 Jul, 2014

I have a lot of love for this movie, but I can totally see where some people hate it. It can be super confusing... lots of talk about theoretical physics and religious theory. It also has a slow pace that can bother some people. Both of those factors are what really make me love this film.

The pace (and the score), totally remind me of The Thing, also directed by Carpenter. The music is simple, but haunting, and persistent in…

• mattthephotoman

★★★½ Added by mattthephotoman

I've watched this now several times and I still have no idea what's going on. It's great 80's carpenter fun though and always very watchable.

• karamashi

★★★½ Added by karamashi

Might be Carpenter's most conceptually accomplished and masterful works, but the film sadly doesn't go into the gonzo hour. I dug the score, the radio transmission dream sequences, science/techonology vs. evil theme, and inter-dimensional gateways via mirror. The characters are all pretty much forgettable with the exception of the always convincing Donald Pleasance. It feels like minor key Carpenter though everyone else seems to read it as one of his better films(I will certainly have to give it a rewatch).

• Jesse

★★½ Rewatched by Jesse 19 Jul, 2014

This review reportedly contains spoilers. I can handle the truth.

• Daniel Rodriguez

★★★★ Watched by Daniel Rodriguez 28 Jul, 2014

Carpenter once more plays with the limits of reality, pushing the boundaries of science and religion as a group of researchers have to stop the ascension of pure evil on earth. The movie is excellent as one can expect from a horror movie from the Master of Horror John Carpenter, but it wasn't as good as The Thing or In the Mouth of Madness, which is far from demerit, as those two figure in the best horror movies of all time in my opinion.

Special mention to the once again remarkable synth soundtrack by Carpenter, which is the music style I've been listening the most recently.