• John Ryan

★★½ Watched by John Ryan 19 Apr, 2015

I wasn't altogether impressed with the movie tbh. I did really like the score though. Before watching, I didn't know much about it except that it was directed by John Carpenter. I think I was expecting a completely different type of story. I'm sure that if i watch this again i'll like it a lot more now that I know what to expect.

• Sam Schulte

★★★★½ Watched by Sam Schulte 15 Apr, 2015

this movie throws the fuck down. carpenter's surreal, religious cousin to THE THING. great imagery and scares.

SIDE NOTE- this is the fourth carpenter film i've seen that has extensively filmed at USC in a creative way. he is by far our most under-valued alum.

• Statler_Waldorf

★★ Watched by Statler_Waldorf 15 Apr, 2015

This review reportedly contains spoilers. I can handle the truth.

Brief Thoughts: There’s no doubt that ‘Prince of Darkness’ has good ideas to burn and plenty of balls to go with it. Hell, this is a movie with the chutzpah to present the Catholic Church as a two-thousand year-old conspiracy dedicated to concealing the fact that Jesus Christ and his Satanic counterpart - a long, tall drink of green goo, no less - are alien beings (that is what the film’s saying, isn’t it…?) and that everything that we might…

• Michael Woods

★★★★ Watched by Michael Woods 15 Apr, 2015

Up there with In the Mouth of Madness as Carpenter's most underrated movie. It's also probably his strangest, containing the goofiness (Alice Cooper Stabbing People With Bikes, Green Goo With a Mind of Its Own) later found in Ghosts of Mars and moments that absolutely terrified me (Camcorder Dream, A Woman Reaching Out From Underwater Hell to a Dying Light) as much as Halloween. Carpenter's style is lean, mean, and wholly effective, cutting off the fat to leave a slow-burn style of horror that truly stays with me after it's gone. Once you get on his wavelength, there's nothing better.

• Daniel Charchuk

★★★★ Watched by Daniel Charchuk 10 Apr, 2015

Structurally similar to The Thing, in that an ethnically diverse group of characters in an isolated location is picked off one-by-one and turned into figurative zombies by a supernatural creature that science can only partially explain, but it's far weirder and much goofier. Some great horror imagery throughout, especially the body made out of bugs, and a not-so-subtle feeling of black comedy underlines the entire thing; Dennis Dun, in particular, has some great one-liners.

• bcc273

★★★ Watched by bcc273 11 Apr, 2015

Scientists discover that Satan is an alien and was trapped by the Varican to ensure the human race survive. Now Satan is waking up and a group of college scientists are the last ones between the Prince of Darkness and the entirety of humanity. As fun as the plot is, it really serves as a reason for Carpenter to make a paranormal themed Assualt on Precicnt 13. Gory and full of action, this is a fun watch if you like 80s action/horror.

• Bryn Evans

★★★½ Rewatched by Bryn Evans 10 Apr, 2015 1

Of the 1-2 punch between this and They Live, the latter alien invasion movie has proved the better flick, Carpenter's last masterpiece. Prince is loads of fun, the sort of film that all low budget b-movies should aspire to - nifty effects and scares, a full-on commitment to a ludicrous premise, and an homage to the horror/sci-fi mumbo jumbo that Carpenter has a soft spot for (i.e., his use of Quatermass as his writing credit). The idea of Satan being…

• John O'Neill

★★★★½ Watched by John O'Neill 06 Apr, 2015

"...you are receiving this broadcast as a dream...pray for death."

• Kenneth Kriheli

★★★½ Watched by Kenneth Kriheli 06 Apr, 2015

Oh nononononoo, people. Do not mistake this for a sci-fi horror film. This is fantasy horror thinly veiled by purely expositional, sophomore, philosophical academic dialogue and machines scattered everywhere that are meant to parallel anything with an institutional background to religion. And yet as much as I wasn't supposed to take this seriously, I liked how they used it to frame what we had already seen happening while they only get hints of it. Science here is purely diagnostic, incapable…

• stevenedwards

★★★ Watched by stevenedwards 01 Apr, 2015

Very similar in a lot of ways to earlier Carpenter films such as The Thing & Assault on Precinct 13, this obviously doesn't do as well with familiar territory but still has enough dread and intrigue to make it a solid film. The ensemble is a bit hit and miss and there seems to be a bit of a lack of urgency from the characters in the early going. Going through his filmography & seeing others using his style of music in…

• pillole di cinema

★★★★½ Watched by pillole di cinema 25 Mar, 2015

L'angoscia che rimane sui titoli di coda de #Ilsignoredelmale è palpabile, concreta. Spaventosa ed impari lotta contro Satana e la scienza.

• Gabriel Novo

★★★½ Rewatched by Gabriel Novo 28 Mar, 2015

Big Trouble in Little China meets Exorcist with a bad synth score and an Alice Cooper cameo. Flawed film, but it has a special place in my heart. The reoccurring dream sequence is still one of the coolest concepts I've seen in a movie.