• Blair Sterrett

Watched by Blair Sterrett 16 Jan, 2015

Couldn't stay awake. I wanted to like it but couldn't get into it for some reason.

• COBRARocky

★★★★ Watched by COBRARocky 19 Jan, 2015

Holy shit, those opening credits just keep right on going.

Its a little hard to take a movie that has a jar of green goop as its antagonist seriously, although a movie in which Alice Cooper stabs a nerd who is listening to Alice Cooper with a bicycle is pretty funny.

• Dan Hassler-Forest

★★★½ Watched by Dan Hassler-Forest 15 Jan, 2015

Like many of John Carpenter's films, this one easily passes the Bechdel test and has a pleasantly diverse ensemble cast. It's also quite fun in its own rather limited way, with a few genuinely creepy moments, some solid make-up effects, and a lot of Donald Pleasance staring off into the distance while slowly intoning doom-laden prophecies. Oh, and it's got Alice Cooper playing 'Street Schizo' and a church called St. Godard's - what's not to love?

• Andrew O'Donoghue

★★½ Watched by Andrew O'Donoghue 13 Jan, 2015

Of the three films that make up John Carpenter's Apocalypse Trilogy, this is definitely the weakest. The bulk of the story takes far too long to arrive and when it does it feels very static. Not terrible and worth a watch but rather forgettable with a premise that, ultimately, fails to pack it's promised punch.

• JaumeMuntane

★★★½ Rewatched by JaumeMuntane 10 Jan, 2015

Té els seus defectes...però també moltes virtuts. Entre altres, una gran atmòsfera, un dels millors treballs de Carpenter en la música i un final superb. Revisionada al cinema juntament amb "Asalto al distrito 13" i "La cosa".

It has its defects...but it has also several virtues. Among others, a great atmosphere, one of the best musical works of Carpenter and a superb ending. Rewatched at the cinema together with "Assault on precint 13" and "the thing".

• JC13

★★★ Watched by JC13 31 Dec, 2014

"No prison can hold him now."- Father Loomis

Prince of Darkness is alright, but it takes a while to get going. The characters aren't interesting and the acting is a bit iffy at times. It does get better as it goes and has some great moments here and there. Carpenter's score is awesome as always though. 6/10

• Daniel Mumby

Added by Daniel Mumby

With any kind of film surrounding the supernatural there is a very fine line between profound and preposterous, between the sublime and the ridiculous. Prince of Darkness desperately wants to be taken seriously, but it ends up every bit as laughable and stupid as Exorcist II: The Heretic. While not John Carpenter's worst film (that honour is reserved for Ghosts of Mars), it remains one of his most obvious and embarrassing failures.

Prince of Darkness is the middle instalment of…

• Bob R.

★★★★★ Rewatched by Bob R. 22 Dec, 2014 1

John Carpenter serves up one of his best, and arguably his scariest films in the form of a reverse-nativity story. Prince of Darkness has for a few years now been my go-to movie when someone asks me what my favorite Christmas flick is.

This film is clever as heck. There's a goodly share of great circular wordplay, and this time around I noticed for the first time that there's some "Last Supper" imagery when 12 scientists are seated at a…

• Snooze00

★½ Watched by Snooze00 18 Dec, 2014

This movie was a typical 80's low budget pile of poo.

• Nuno Costa

★★★½ Watched by Nuno Costa 17 Dec, 2014

Viewed on DVD

I finally got to see Carpenter's Prince Of Darkness.
    Why this film wasn't on my radar until becoming an avid Letterboxd user and seeing all of the praise it receives, I don't know.

It's a little kooky like most of Carpenter's work and has his wonderful music.

I must admit I had a little trouble getting into it at first but the ending is so compelling and well done.

I can't wait for the rewatch.

• Airunh23

★★★★½ Rewatched by Airunh23 15 Dec, 2014

Prince of Darkness (1987)

My Rating: B+

Prince of Darkness marked the end of John Carpenter being at the peak of his powers IMO although In The Mouth of Madness and Vampires are strong. Amazing score, original plot, good acting, and atmosphere carry this movie and make it a fun ride from beginning to end.

• joelhwa

★★★ Watched by joelhwa 12 Jul, 2010

6/10: One of Carpenter's most under-rated film, but not as good as The Thing. Slow start but it slowly but surely creeps into you.