• DemonToLeanOn

★★★ Watched by DemonToLeanOn 29 Aug, 2015 3

PRINCE OF DARKNESS is one of the films in Carpenter's "apocalypse" trilogy along with THE THING and IN THE MOUTH OF MADNESS and is essentially a bizarre satanic quantum physics movie, and yes it is just as weird as it sounds.

This is classic Carpenter right here. An over the top high concept idea presented in a way that is completely stripped down to its bare bones. So much atmosphere and dread present within the opening moments of the film…

• Anthony Rebro

★★★★½ Rewatched by Anthony Rebro 23 Aug, 2015

I have to say this is one creepy, atmospheric film. Not my favorite Carpenter film but probably the scariest. I love the sense of dread through out and the music just works in its favor. The mix of science and religion got under my skin. The evil, green swirling lava lamp is one of the most memorable props in any horror film. I want one.

• Balibari

★★★★½ Rewatched by Balibari 26 Aug, 2015

Mephistopheles seeks to usher in the End Times... and it's up to some American physics students to stop him!

Carpenter's knack for building tension has never been better exercised than in the first half of this minor masterpiece. The sense of impending doom created by the sublime score is as effective a use of music as any filmmaker has managed. The imagery, particularly of the church itself and the massing hobo minions is genuinely chilling, shots of Alice Cooper's haunted…

• Egon

★★★★ Added by Egon

One of John Carpenter's most underrated films. This creepy little tale of the Devil's rise to power on Earth remains one of his more effective thrillers. A group of scientists are trapped in an old church with a vat of swirling green liquid that could be the remains of Satan himself. All of Carpenter's usual themes are present here; characters isolated in an eerie location, a great use of the widescreen frame, plenty of atmosphere and jolts, a fine cast…

• FilmApe

★★★★★ Rewatched by FilmApe 21 Aug, 2015 2

"You will not be saved by the Holy Ghost. You will not be saved by the god Plutonium. In fact, YOU WILL NOT BE SAVED!"

John Carpenter is firing on all cylinders with Prince of Darkness. He knows when to have an unrelenting pace, and he knows when to slam on the brakes and let things play out. This is such a great flick.

• Dan Bremner

★★ Watched by Dan Bremner 16 Aug, 2015

Film 364 of my 2015 500 Film Challenge

While there were some elements I liked, I found Prince of Darkness to be a mostly dull and boring experience full of hammy acting and a tedious story.

It's one of those cult classics I just don't get the love for, sure there were some great practical effects and the moments with the possessed city folk were quite creepy, but the rest of the film is a cinematic slog. I love John Carpenter, even with his few share of stinkers, which this sadly joins for me.

Still looking forward to seeing the rest of Carpenters work.

• Cameron Croston

★★★★★ Watched by Cameron Croston 16 Aug, 2015

John Carpenter really earns his Twitter handle, Master of Horror, with this revelation of a horror film.

• Paolo Carone

★★★½ Added by Paolo Carone

Great score, one of cinema's most existentially terrifying death scenes, clever and effective dream sequences, and a whole bunch of utterly forgettable nonsense.

• M Kitchell

★★★½ Rewatched by M Kitchell 23 Jul, 2015

Hadn't seen this in years and decided it was high time for a re-watch. Very glad I did, as this is a lot of fun and another instance, like Cigarette Burns, where Carpenter manages to tap into really great conceptual content & turn the abstraction into a good film (this is better as a film as a whole than Cigarette Burns). Jameson Parker mustachioed-out looks like a hottie Castro Clone, and I'm shocked I didn't remember that. The confluence of theology, quantum physics, and a consideration of the physical manifestation of evil is exactly what I want out of horror.

• LoveofCelluloid

★★ Watched by LoveofCelluloid 22 Oct, 2013

31 Days of Horror 2013

My full review located at:
    fortheloveofcelluloid.com/2013/10/22/prince-of-darkness-1987/

• FranticMonkey

★★★★ Rewatched by FranticMonkey 09 Jul, 2015

Just bought and watched the Shout! Factory Collector's Edition. Superb picture and audio. Do yourself a favour and pick it up. It's Carpenter's second best film and a terrific version.

• Francisco Sanchez Jr

★★★★★ Watched by Francisco Sanchez Jr 01 Apr, 2015

One of my favorite movies of all time still has it's charms and is wrapped by a really cool concept that if done right could be a fine film in this current era. The idea of the Devil having the ability to manipulate things from another dimension all in trying to bring about a form of apocalypse if both inspired and fresh. Of course you have to accept the cast and some corny dialogue and that attire, none of that hurt it for me as the concept is so strong and the execution and ending so impactful that few films today can hang.