• Mr. Knoll

★★ Added by Mr. Knoll

I don't play a lot of videogames, but I imagine that, at this point, being invested in the quality of a videogame-based movie is akin to hoping your absent dad will show up to your baseball game.

• Patrick

★★★ Watched by Patrick 15 Nov, 2015

Some things about this film are really great: the special effects, the acting, the perfect British accents (and Alfred Molina's cockney accent), the settings, filmography, the acting, etc.

But somehow the film fails to keep your attention. Is it the story, the dialogues, the bland action? I'm not sure. In the end, I feel it's nicer to have it in the background (like a nice burning logfire in your fireplace) than a film to watch on a Saturday evening...

• Owen Hughes

★★★ Watched by Owen Hughes 23 Aug, 2015

I mainly picked this on Sunday evening as a friend of mine recently wrote an article about video-game adaptations, and because it had just started on BBC so I knew there would be no ad breaks.

It's alright, really. Good cast with Jake Gyllenhaal, Gemma Arterton, Ben Kingsley and Alfred Molina, with an OK-ish plot, some lovely visuals, based on a series of video games I mildly enjoyed.

There's a slightly uneven pace as it starts like a bullet from a gun. It slows down a lot after that but then again ramps things up towards the final third. Otherwise, pretty solid if unspectacular.

• maskull

★★½ Watched by maskull 08 Nov, 2015

Gemma and Jake steal a dagger from each other over and over. Jake runs, jumps, and climbs a lot. There's a mystical dagger that everyone wants, but is barely important to the story. Gemma yells "Dastan!" and has to be saved a lot. I was really hoping that the movie wouldn't end that way. Oh well.

It was watchable.

• tarmokullas

★★★½ Added by tarmokullas

• Dennie van der Tuuk

★★★½ Rewatched by Dennie van der Tuuk 06 Nov, 2015

Enjoyed this a lot more this time. At fist i thought there could be done a lot more with the dagger and the movie descended quickly into a simple adventure/chase movie with some decent acting and not that great action.

Now a few years later i appreciated it more. It's still not a perfect movie. And that has to do a lot with Gyllenhaal who isn't that convincing as a action hero. Also his accent is pretty bad. Shows also…

• Marisa

★★½ Rewatched by Marisa 04 Oct, 2015

still an experience every time i watch it

• Yvette

★★ Watched by Yvette 04 Oct, 2015

this movie is so extra

• Dániel Hári
  • Mark_Lemmond

★★★★ Rewatched by Mark_Lemmond 07 Sep, 2015

I've never been a fan of Jake Gyllenhaal but its amazing what you will watch for Gemma Arterton.

• Cameron Wayne Johnson

★★½ Watched by Cameron Wayne Johnson 05 Sep, 2015

"And the falling sands of time blow my wind and drifted by." Yup, I am so out of touch that this title made me think of a pre-Buckingham Nicks Fleetwood Mac song before a Judas Priest song that I still thought of sooner than the "Prince of Persia" video game, not that the makers of this film have a complete understanding of this property or, for that matter, ethnicity. As if a certain other video game movie, "300", didn't offend…

• Alexander Sigsworth

½ Watched by Alexander Sigsworth 29 Aug, 2015

This review reportedly contains spoilers. I can handle the truth.

Well, I suppose the warning sign was there from the start. Prince of Persia: the Sands of Time is based on the video-game reboot of the Prince of Persia series, and for some reason, the adaptation of that franchise decided to start with that, rather than at least beginning it first. The cardinal sin of film-making is to assume there’ll be a sequel, which too many features with brand recognition assume, be it a mid-credits sequence establishing its villain or…