• JaySalahi

★★★★½ Watched by JaySalahi 31 Oct, 2014

A- (91)

• scrimmer

★★★★½ Rewatched by scrimmer 26 Oct, 2014

"We all go a little mad sometimes."
    "It smells a little creepy."
    "You eat like a bird."

Saw this for the first time since the late 80s, and it still works as a great movie. I had forgotten the manner in which Hitchcock reveals the truth, and I felt the pleasant gooseflesh of surprise with Norman's entrance to the cellar. The stuffed birds of prey offer a nice, not-so-subtle suggestion of Norman as nocturnal hunter, and the camera angles and shadows on Norman's face in various shots further emphasize this and create a nice atmosphere.

• adam_j_scott

★★★★½ Rewatched by adam_j_scott 31 Oct, 2014

Arguably one of the origins of "modern horror".

So many great moments that get you jumping out of your skin. Aside from the most talked about "shower scene".

Essential!!!

• bluevoid

★★★★ Watched by bluevoid 25 Oct, 2008

A thriller that holds up nearly 50 years after it was created. Without relying on special effects or gore, Hitchcock creates a suspenseful murder mystery. The acting in this film is phenomenal, and paired with the classic score, it is timeless.

• Ken

★★★★★ Watched by Ken 29 Oct, 2014

• Ben Hyde

★★★★½ Watched by Ben Hyde 26 Oct, 2014

So this is admittedly, for me, a low 4.5, but Psycho is almost certainly my favorite Hitchcock film that I've seen and the first one to really make me understand why he's so widely considered one of the all-time masters, even though he still generally doesn't do much for me. But Psycho is one of the clearest dichotomies of Hitchcock's blend of plainspoken straightforwardness (one of the great visual storytellers of all time really just kinda points the camera at…

• Tom Elrod

★★★★★ Rewatched by Tom Elrod 29 Oct, 2014

OK, I didn't really re-watch this, but it was on TCM last night and I caught the opening credits before my wife reminded me she really wasn't feeling well and would rather watch Seinfeld re-runs in bed. Which, fair enough. I was pretty tired, too, and had just put my daughter to bed, and she's been having a really hard time going to bed the last few weeks on account of a whole bunch of teeth coming in. This is,…

• Todd

★★★★★ Watched by Todd 26 Oct, 2014

How could I have come to this movie so late? Even though I knew most of the key scenes, it's almost impossible not to, I still felt myself pulled into the movie and become tense, anxious and scared at many points and there were still a great many surprises to be found in the movie that I was expecting.

As I was watching my 14 year old step daughter sat down and began to watch during the conversation between Marion…

• 'Becca'lise

★★★★★ Rewatched by 'Becca'lise 29 Oct, 2014 1

Goddamn, Anthony Perkins really nailed it, didn't he?

• Jacob Gehman

★★★★★ Added by Jacob Gehman

Best horror film ever? Maybe, maybe not. That could be argued until the end of time. But the fact that Psycho is in the discussion is a reflection of its greatness.

Alfred Hitchcock is a masterful director, exemplified by this horror film which has maybe 3 minutes total of violence, yet manages to be tense and engaging from the get-go.

It is a film that aims to bend minds more than terrify the soul, yet it still does both.

• Brian

★★★★ Rewatched by Brian 29 Oct, 2014 1

Film #29 from My Hoop-tober Halloween Challenge.

Not completely flawless. In particular, the epilogue seems extraneous. Simon Oakland’s performance as the psychologist is completely off; it is a smug delivery of what basically amounts to the denouement of a drawing room mystery. It’s a television performance and it doesn’t belong in the film. Instead, the film truly ends a scene earlier, with a bare swinging light bulb and a rotating rocking chair.

I’ve probably seen this five or six times…

• mat lucus

★★★★★ Watched by mat lucus 29 Oct, 2014

Seeing it on the big screen was incredible. The little touches that only Hitchcock could bring to it are so appreciated. Spectacular.