• Connor Lightbody

★★★½ Rewatched by Connor Lightbody 30 Jun, 2015

How is this good? Everything about it's premise screams cringe, but it works. It's got a heart of gold to it and as cliche and silly and stupid as it is, it's ridiculously entertaining and I kinda love it. It's a win in my book. Go ATOM!!

• Joe Hastings

★★★½ Watched by Joe Hastings 11 Jun, 2015

Where's Michael Buffer?

When I first saw the trailer, I laughed until I couldn't breathe. Everyone and their mother will make a comparison to rock em sock em robots after watching the previews. However, I thought of the anime called Medabots almost immediately. I was looking for something lighthearted or fun, so I picked this one out of the library in the hopes that it would be one of the two. Sure, there were some predictable moments here, but I…

• David Eduardo

★★½ Rewatched by David Eduardo 07 Jun, 2015

Para mi lista de "niños odiosos".

• Andy Summers

★★★½ Rewatched by Andy Summers 08 Jun, 2015 2

Shaun Levy has had more commercial success than his films possibly deserve. Aside from the Night At The Museum movies and The Rocker (which I actually liked) his filmography has more turds on it than Nelson's Column. He does however know how to shoot a decent array of special effects which feature heavily in this science fiction sports drama starring Hugh Jackman.
    Real Steel is Rocky with robots. In a nutshell, that's the crux of the plot here as mechanized…

• Travis Wagner

★★★ Watched by Travis Wagner 06 Jun, 2015

I am often a fan of weird variations to any respective genre, however, I do not wonder if this would not have worked better purely as a boxing film.

• Rob Schultz

★★ Watched by Rob Schultz 31 May, 2015

Reminded me a lot of OVER THE TOP. I think I was less upset with Hugh Jackman for selling his child than I was for losing a supposedly important fight in a dumb way. If the sport of Roboxing makes sense, I'm pretty sure the explanation of why was cut for time. Why would you punch a robot in the head? Why would a robot block with his hands, which are more valuable than his head? How is a robot…

• Kristina Carlson

½ Watched by Kristina Carlson 31 May, 2015

The only redeemable moment of this movie for me was scenes with the robot dancing.

• Jessie

★★ Watched by Jessie 02 Jun, 2015

While I would rather watch robots fight than actual humans, I was left a bit disappointed with Real Steel. Hugh Jackman is good as always, practically the high point in an otherwise bland film. Most of the dialogue seems forced and contrived, along with the love interest (Evangeline Lilly) and the whole father-son dynamic. It just seemed that nothing other than a mutual interest in robots held the relationship together and bonded them. Though it was fun to see the bots battle it out, this film really seemed to be trying too hard

• Connor Keegan

★★★★★ Watched by Connor Keegan 23 May, 2015 1

This is one of the best movies about a father son relationship ever. The kid is jawsome (because robots get hit in the jaw) the robots looked cool and badass I thought it might be a little violent for a wall-e prequel but I was wrong it was heart felt and amazing. (noisy boy is shit) you will get that once you watch the movie.

• Calum Iain MacIver

Watched by Calum Iain MacIver 30 Jul, 2012

One of the most sub-textually miserable films I’ve come across in a long time, where a negligent father bonds with his abandoned son through the healing powers of gratuitous ultra-violence. It’s the near future and boxing has been outlawed and replaced by “robot boxing”, where giant machines battle each other, with humans providing commands via remote control. Charlie Kenton (Hugh Jackman) a washed-up former boxer and now a bottom-of-the-pile robo-fighter is informed that his ex-girlfriend has died and that he…

• James

Watched by James 21 May, 2015

This is a film so formulaic and derivative, grounded on such a contrived and hollow emotional base, so completely predictable and unsurprising in every way, coated in the Hollywood sheen of being completely manufactured and overproduced, that it is actually nauseating and uncomfortable to watch.

• DavidGarcia

★★★½ Watched by DavidGarcia 12 May, 2015

Actually a pretty cute father son sport movie