• funsohng

Added by funsohng

While never trying to be anything more than it is expected to be, Real Steel still delivers an emotional punch to be memorable.

• John Connor

★★★ Watched by John Connor 06 Oct, 2011

While a lot about Real Steel is pretty rote Hollywood fare, there are moments that punch through the wholesome, unthreatening vibe ... namely, Jackman is actually presented as a terrible father, who's mean to his kid. Yes, he comes good by the end, of course he does, but the film goes a lot further than would customarily be considered 'safe.' Other points of interest: the fight scenes are well-orchestrated (soooo rare in U.S. movies these days), and the kid isn't (quite) as annoying as the trailer made him seem.

• KMOKLER

★★★★ Added by KMOKLER

I loved this film well it was in my top 10 of 2011 and it was the most underatted of 2011 to just pure fun.

• Dukefrukem

★★★ Watched by Dukefrukem 30 Aug, 2014

I'm a sucker for this kinda father-son-relationship movie.
    I thought this worked great as a sports movie; the conflict is the only thing I was annoyed about. "I can't, I can't..." What?, you can't pretend to fight like a boxer again in front of a stadium full of people? Yes you can.

• Brett

★★★ Rewatched by Brett 29 Aug, 2014

No complaints about being paid to watch this again at work, it's a pretty entertaining film.

• Gonçalo

★★★½ Watched by Gonçalo 24 Aug, 2014

It's the kind of film you already know how it's going to end from the beginning, but it's still very entertaining.
    The three leads are great. I can't understand how Evangeline Lilly is not a movie star yet.

• Obistrike 25

★★★½ Watched by Obistrike 25 21 Aug, 2014

Boyhood fantasy of a violent videogame brought to real life. All of the glory, none of the bruises. Hitting the sports genre tropes note for note, this straightforward, fun and strangely moving tale of a washout connecting with his son, punches way above its weight due to the slick effects and knockout performance by the always reliable leading man. Takes the time to develop the father, son and robot relationship while exploring the world of futuristic underground bareknuckle bionic cage…

• MatthewLB

★★★★ Watched by MatthewLB 18 Aug, 2014

A movie that I didn't think was going to be good but I was so wrong.

• toadpink

★★★★ Watched by toadpink 17 Aug, 2014

Really nice family movie.

• Gnske

★★★ Added by Gnske

Decent film full of all the "Dodgy father trying to bond with his son" cliches in the book.

• moviedave

★★★ Rewatched by moviedave 05 Aug, 2014

Hugh Jackman, Evangeline Lilly.

the sport of boxing has been replaced by battling robots.

Jackman is an old boxer scraping a living by putting on fights with a broken down old robots.

an old girlfriend dies in a accident and leaves his estranged 9 year old son for him to bring up.

the son is a robot boxing fan.

this is a story of a father and son getting to know one another with the backdrop of exciting, robot boxing in the ring.

an enjoyable family film that any kid (big kid!) will love.

• MichaelFriedman