• Patrick Mulcahy

★★½ Watched by Patrick Mulcahy 04 Oct, 2011

Watching the highly nonsensical big-budget Real Steel, set in a near future in which there is no real boxing between humans, so instead huge metal robots slug it out in the ring on behalf of their operators, I found myself counting down the absurdities.

Ten: why are the operators in the movie all men when clearly the robots are genderless? There are plenty of women who play video games. I didn’t buy it that the coach’s daughter (Evangeline Lilly a.k.a.…

• Conan Tan

★★★ Watched by Conan Tan 27 Sep, 2015

Derivative but fine.

• Mathias Eek

★★★ Watched by Mathias Eek 04 Oct, 2015

Too long, with a lot of unnecessary stuff. It had it's moments, but on the other hand it had it's silly moments too.

I enjoyed it, though!

• MasterPike

★★½ Watched by MasterPike 26 Sep, 2015

Well, it looked like trash back when it first came out and it didn't disappoint tonight.

What it does confirm is that Hugh Jackman can make any piece of celluloid excrement watchable simple by virtue of his charm and charisma, his on screen presence is effortless.

This is just a paint by numbers affair: you already know by the time we reach the "make Aunty a legal guardian" scene that deadbeat dad Jackman is going to bond with the kid,…

• Zirkzank Xyphrolenmir

★★★ Watched by Zirkzank Xyphrolenmir 13 Sep, 2015

Wolverine shows a bit too much restraint in this film. I much prefer when the claws come out.

• Dan Mundell

★★★★½ Rewatched by Dan Mundell 30 Aug, 2015

We challenge Zeus! To a fight.

I find this to bra very enjoyable film with a good father/son dynamic, and a good solid story. The characters are all enjoyable, say for an annoying child. The robots even feel like real characters because their personalities are so good.

Plus robots punch each other, and that's fucking awesome!

• Paul Berkeley

★★★½ Watched by Paul Berkeley 30 Aug, 2015

Heartwarming story about an ex boxer who now tries to make a living with robot boxing.At the same time he tries to connect with a son he has never really known.Hugh Jackman is quite good in this but the best part is the realism of the robots.Apparently the director Shawn Levy has made some pretty average films but not in this case.

• James Malley

★★★ Watched by James Malley 30 Aug, 2015

Much better than I expected, but at the end of the day it's just a cheesy and fun movie, nothing more.

• MovieBiz

★★★½ Rewatched by MovieBiz 30 Aug, 2015

I love this movie and although people don't like it I think it sends a good message!

• nrbeaton

★★★ Watched by nrbeaton 10 Jan, 2012

Great special effects but let down by an overly sappy storyline.

• Joey Katz

★★★ Watched by Joey Katz 27 Aug, 2015

If you like motion capture, you'll like this movie.

If you like shitty child actors that look scarily similar to Anakin Skywalker in Phantom Menace, you'll like this movie.

If you like Hugh Jackman doing a quasi-Texan accent for 10 minutes then dropping it for the rest of the film, you'll like this movie.

If you want a movie that doesn't have as much robot boxing as you hoped but what was shown was still pretty cool, you'll like this movie.

• Zodokai

★★★½ Rewatched by Zodokai 24 Aug, 2015

"I wanted you to fight for me. That's all I ever wanted."

This is one of those movies that sounds kind of ridiculous, but is unexpectedly good. The premise is a bit unusual and a lot of the story feels extremely familiar, but it's spun in a unique and entertaining fashion. Yes, it's about fighting robots but it's got a bit more of a punch to it than just that. Pun intended. So, check it out if you like a good underdog story with a hefty dose of metallic alloys.