• Connor Keegan

★★★★★ Watched by Connor Keegan 23 May, 2015 1

This is one of the best movies about a father son relationship ever. The kid is jawsome (because robots get hit in the jaw) the robots looked cool and badass I thought it might be a little violent for a wall-e prequel but I was wrong it was heart felt and amazing. (noisy boy is shit) you will get that once you watch the movie.

• Calum Iain MacIver

Watched by Calum Iain MacIver 30 Jul, 2012

One of the most sub-textually miserable films I’ve come across in a long time, where a negligent father bonds with his abandoned son through the healing powers of gratuitous ultra-violence. It’s the near future and boxing has been outlawed and replaced by “robot boxing”, where giant machines battle each other, with humans providing commands via remote control. Charlie Kenton (Hugh Jackman) a washed-up former boxer and now a bottom-of-the-pile robo-fighter is informed that his ex-girlfriend has died and that he…

• James

Watched by James 21 May, 2015

This is a film so formulaic and derivative, grounded on such a contrived and hollow emotional base, so completely predictable and unsurprising in every way, coated in the Hollywood sheen of being completely manufactured and overproduced, that it is actually nauseating and uncomfortable to watch.

• DavidGarcia

★★★½ Watched by DavidGarcia 12 May, 2015

Actually a pretty cute father son sport movie

• Woefully Esoteric

★★ Watched by Woefully Esoteric 10 May, 2015

This review reportedly contains spoilers. I can handle the truth.

That kids dancing with the robot was cool if it wasn't bookended by the rest of the movie. I'm sorry I didn't like it more.

Also, the characters name is hammered in.

• matwithahat

★★★★ Watched by matwithahat 29 Apr, 2015

It's an underdog boxing story with cool robots what more could anyone want. It's manipulative at moments and it's completely predictable but I was sucked in.

• Michael Kastner

★★ Watched by Michael Kastner 24 Apr, 2015

Hugh Jackman und die gut animierten Robokämpfe sind noch das beste an diesem Film. Das nervtötende Kind, die dummen Tanzeinlagen und die viel zu lange Laufzeit haben mich echt gestört.

• mook

★★★½ Rewatched by mook 10 Apr, 2015 1

This is a curious mix of Robot Wars and Rocky that maybe shouldn't work but it does, even on a second watch.

It's no suprise to see Robert Zemeckis and Stephen Spielberg listed in Producer roles as the sentimental Father/Son angle and the nostalgic vibe (despite being set in the near future) recall several of thier films.

A good yarn for all the family, I'd happily watch it again. 7/10.

• Agnis

★★ Watched by Agnis 13 Apr, 2015

It feel like it's written on top of a plot skeleton that is as typical as they come. No deviations whatsoever. Dialogue and acting isn't up to snuff. Essentially I think it's meant to be a kids movie.

• Jakub Flasz

★★½ Watched by Jakub Flasz 10 Apr, 2015

While watching "Real steel" I kept having these thoughts that every now and again Steven Spielberg (one of the executive producers) must have been wandering onto the set to make suggestions, because some of the ideas and character moments really smell like they were ghost-directed by him. The boy-and-his-robot theme, the father-and-son moments all look like they were lifted from a Spielberg movie that he never made.

The problem is that it was so easy to spot those genuinely good…

• Jena Navarro