• Cavin Hawkins

★★★½ Watched by Cavin Hawkins 11 Oct, 2015 5

A well-put-together story about family dynamics and how parents affect their children. James Dean is, in fact, as great an actor as everyone claims. Natalie Wood is still beautiful, although her character is kind of annoying. As a whole, Rebel Without a Cause is a very solid film.

• Calum Russell

★★★½ Added by Calum Russell

An odd melodrama led by James Dean in only his second cinematic role.

Odd in the sense that a lot of plot elements are simply glazed over in the film, and some pretty major stuff happens too. I mean it's an iconic film for it's james' dean(ness) as well as being one of the first films to fuel this idea of teenage angst and rebellion. It has its place in history and still remains to be a good film but it's not an amazing one.

• last7

★★★★ Watched by last7 30 Sep, 2015

isn't it a sad turn of events when you thought an iconic line in film history was an original tommy wiseau creation but actually isn't

• Zak Lopopolo

★★★★ Watched by Zak Lopopolo 08 Oct, 2015

Before I type anything else, first I must say that the filmmaking here is pretty excellent all around. This film is just dripping with exuberance and energy, experimenting with the craft in ways that were very atypical of the time period and perfectly reflect the youthful vigor of its screenplay and cast. I can completely see why the New Wave guys fell for Ray. That opening scene at the police station is magnificent, constantly opening up new dimensions of cinematic…

• plainsong

★★★★★ Added by plainsong

It's like Grease, except what lacks in musical numbers is made up entirely by the enigmatic beauty that is teenage angst.

I love coming of age/youth films, they're one of my favorite genres and when done right, they can really leave a tremendous lasting impression that sticks with you for weeks, and this is definitely one of those movies. James Dean is awkward, squirmy and looks like he's constantly in pain, but it's done so brilliantly, and works so well…

• dawn_mp

★★ Added by dawn_mp

Kind of lame, I'm a little too old to be at all sympathetic to any of these characters.

• Yuri90

★★★½ Watched by Yuri90 03 Oct, 2015

Niente male...

• Sam Van de Sande

★★★½ Watched by Sam Van de Sande 02 Oct, 2015

The highlight of this film is the way Nicholas Ray handles the cinemascope format; effortlessly he creates beautiful shots that utilise the wider frame.

For the most part the acting is good, James Dean and Sal Mineo are both good, I found that Nathalie Wood was the weak link, largely due to script written for her.

The biggest detractor from my viewing experience was my difficulty to relate to these characters, I have never experienced problems in my relationship with my parents. I guess you had to grow up in the conservative fifties to fully appreciate the story.

• walterporto

★★★★½ Watched by walterporto 23 Sep, 2015

A tragédia da confusão que é ser jovem e ter a energia de toda a vida nas mãos, sem meias palavras.

• SamCricket

★★★★★ Added by SamCricket

A cigarette dangles from his lips and he dresses in red white and blue. Both the actor and the character are allready tired of everything. Older generations are crumbling away into oblivion, but one can't say to much for youth either. There are knives, cigarettes and stolen car races.
    He puts another cigarette between his lips, he calmly points out that there are a lot of switches. He kicks in an old potrait and runs away to an abandoned house.
    He made three movies and then crashed into eternity. James Dean is not only a legend - he is THE legend.

• PaulLyons

★★★½ Rewatched by PaulLyons 30 Sep, 2015

Another film that I find hard to discuss. Haven't seen REBEL WITHOUT A CAUSE for many years, and watching it today was akin to catching up with an old friend you grew apart from, and haven't seen in a long, long time. It's weird watching REBEL WITHOUT A CAUSE today, in 2015, as much of it is still powerful, and some of it makes me cringe with embarrassment.

Lots of great, classic moments in REBELE WITHOUT A CAUSE: the drunk…

• Rob Hill

★★★★½ Rewatched by Rob Hill 30 Sep, 2015

Extraordinarily powerful account of teenage disillusion set against a changing sociological backdrop in which families are fractured by confusion over what role each member is meant to play.