• sschuster

★★★★★ Added by sschuster

Dean and Ray. That's all you need to know to watch this, if you haven't.

• Patrick Mullen

★★★★ Watched by Patrick Mullen 21 Aug, 2014

A good and powerful film. A strong supporting casts backs a decent James Dean performance.

• Matt Taylor

★★★½ Watched by Matt Taylor 23 Aug, 2014

With its T-bird jackets and overdramatic title, "Rebel Without a Cause" should have been a product of its time. Instead, it was far ahead of it.

By focusing on three troubled teens living in an upperclass neighborhood, Nicholas Ray tells an absorbing tale about suburban dissatisfaction that still rings true today. The hardships faced by each of the central characters, coupled with their own psychological issues and overwhelming emotions in the face of growing up, make for a riveting drama…

• Mike P

★★★★★ Rewatched by Mike P 19 Aug, 2014

At the Griffith Observatory there is a bust of James Dean with a melting face--complete with eyes so squinty and hollow they'll haunt your dreams--that I believed to be a gross misremembering of his climatic moments in this film.
    I was wrong.

• shades

★★★★ Watched by shades 22 Aug, 2014

They called me chicken. You know, chicken.

• Omar Salas Zamora

★★★★ Watched by Omar Salas Zamora 19 Aug, 2014

"Hey, you want to come home with me? I mean, there's nobody home at my house. I'm not tired. Are you?"

Plato asks Jim Stark this after a long night, on the stoop of his home. The homo-eroticism is hardly as subtle in 2014 as it was in 1955.

Still, Rebel isn't anywhere near as campy as I've been taught to believe. The car chases are genuinely thrilling, the costuming and set deign are lavish. It's strange to see such…

• kyrak

★★★½ Watched by kyrak 17 Aug, 2014

I'm not a fan of the kitschy memorabilia adorned with Marilyn Monroe, Elvis, and James Dean, but I can appreciate how Dean's acting could kick off his cult. He's a great actor. He stole every scene and he truly elevated this film. Stay for the directing and cinematography - both textbook cases of mainstream post-noir melodrama.

Why watch it? Catch a seminal acting performance.

• Patrik Malmgren

★★★★½ Watched by Patrik Malmgren 16 Aug, 2014

Great, well made drama about youthful alienation, with many wonderful performances by the most perfect cast, including a brilliant and charismatic James Dean.

• jessikatz

★★★★½ Watched by jessikatz 12 Aug, 2014

I was going to write a review, but would any of you really believe me, knowing how in love and biased I am towards James Dean?

• Jude Seymour

Watched by Jude Seymour 30 Jun, 1999

It's a shame James Dean had to go off and die in that car accident.

After seeing "Rebel without a Cause" and "Giant," it seems to me that even at the age of 23, he had nailed some key aspects of acting (some aspects I think that some established actors have yet to hone in on). He really new how to deliver a line without making it sound cheesy as hell, and he had the good looks to go far.…

• Wesley Emblidge

★★★★ Watched by Wesley Emblidge 06 Aug, 2014

I feel like knife fights in movies always have a far more palpable sense of danger to them than any shootout does.

• robgordon

★★★★ Added by robgordon

Aunque el calado de los problemas de estos hijos de la América acomodada luce un tanto obsoleto a día de hoy (salir sola de noche con los labios pintados no es motivo como para acabar en comisaría), se trata de un documento único para entender la desorientación generacional de la época desde la óptica de una juventud aburguesada, contestataría y necesitada de atención partenal y humana. Una película muy importante por lo que cuenta y por como lo cuenta que…