• mikeyzjames

★★½ Added by mikeyzjames

It's crazy how conservative this film is. Based on its reputation, you would think the film was a celebration of individuality and "rebellion", as symbolized in James Dean and his red coat, but that couldn't be further from the truth. Instead, each rebel in the film is desperately searching for a father figure: Plato's parents are absent (leading to his latent homosexuality), Jim's dad is dominated by his mother, and Judy's father is uninterested (leading to her floozy ways). They…

• Joel Vered

★★★★½ Watched by Joel Vered 23 Apr, 2015

James Dean's last completed work (besides "Giant") is probably his best. Great performances from all involved, and a little relatable. It's very complex for a "teen" movie.

• Reego

★★★★★ Added by Reego

Such a wonderful film that any teenage boy over the age of 15 can relate to. I didnt realize that Dennis hopper was also in this. The lone wolf if all films and I love every second of it, I wasn't quite the fan of the obsession that Plato had for Jim, and when the relationship of Jim and Judy happened? I loved their chemistry immediately mostly cause of how similar their lives were at home.

• Viktor Prentovski

★★★★★ Watched by Viktor Prentovski 16 Apr, 2015

Part of Vprento’s Top 150 Movies of All-Time

My father recommended this to me a few years ago, but I finally watched it today after my best female friend said she loved it. It's rare when people my age watch movies older than 1990, so you can imagine my excitement when my friend mentioned a movie from the 1950s, a movie that has always been on top of my watchlist.

Rebel Without a Cause is a phenomenal movie depicting teenage…

• Lexi C.M.K. Turner

★★★★ Added by Lexi C.M.K. Turner

A stunning and powerful film let down only by its at times violent misogyny.

• ageneral

★★★★ Watched by ageneral 15 Apr, 2015

Oh, those teens and their restless drama.
    It really is a well-made movie, though.

• Ari Niemi

★★★½ Rewatched by Ari Niemi 11 Apr, 2015

I was a teenager when I first saw this film in a class at school, but somehow I liked it better now that I'm almost thirty. The reason for that is probably simple: I wasn't that much into older classics back then. It's a good teen drama, and I certainly appreciate the performances more than I did back then. This is the only James Dean film I've seen, and the man did have a lot of charisma and talent. It's a shame that his life ended so abruptly.

• loureviews

★★★★ Added by loureviews

James Dean: legend, died young, finished three feature films, adorned posters, t-shirts and other mechandise ever since.

'Rebel' was Dean's second feature and the first to be released following his fatal car crash. It could be read as a type of Romeo and Juliet, or as an odd family unit (Dean as father, Natalie Wood as mother, Sal Mineo as child).

The fate of Dean (and the accidental drowning of Wood some years later, and the murder of Mineo) have…

• sonyaste

★★★★ Added by sonyaste

tore me apart

• rockyhorror

★★★★ Added by rockyhorror

* didn't age very well
    * found dean's acting off slightly
    * still entertaining

• Craig Duffy

★★★★ Rewatched by Craig Duffy 28 Mar, 2015

Nothing beats going to see a movie where the screen gets wider for cinemascope rather than shorter. I wonder how much of the decision to go for scope on this movie was meant in sympathy to the material and how much in mockery. The teens in this film see their lives as epic and the wide-screen technicolor reflects that. But at points it also seems to bring out the ludicrousness inherent in them feeling that way. The scene during the…

• 'Becca'lise

★★★★ Rewatched by 'Becca'lise 28 Mar, 2015

You know you're getting older when you can't relate to the young people in movies anymore. Natalie Wood says she loves James Dean, and I'm like "YOU JUST MET HIM!" But I remember being a teen, every emotion amplified, feeling like nobody understood me. This film captures a bit of that confusion and frustration. Dean and Wood are good but Sal Mineo gives the truly mesmerizing performance. Great getting to see this on the big screen at the TCM film festival!