• DKA_NU_Reviews

★★★½ Watched by DKA_NU_Reviews 22 Oct, 2014

This review reportedly contains spoilers. I can handle the truth.

• Windyblue

★★★★ Added by Windyblue

Please seek out an impression of James Dean from Rebel Without a Cause crying "YOU'RE TEARING ME APART" done by Jim Carrey in "Earth Girls are Easy." It is unreasonably spot-on.

• Alistair

★★★½ Watched by Alistair 28 Sep, 2014

While I did enjoy the performance of James Dean as the attractive but troubled main character, I felt like his great, brooding presence isn't served by a good narrative or story and that the motivations and personalities of all the characters needed to be developed a lot more.

• Erin Latimer

★★★★★ Rewatched by Erin Latimer 25 Sep, 2014

Magnificent. More powerful every time I watch it, especially the ending.

• LUCAS HAYNES

★★★★★ Watched by LUCAS HAYNES 16 Sep, 2014

For some reason this movie really broke me. Afterwards I had this impulsive feeling to listen to Abba music, but not owning any of their records, I had to settle for Supertramp 'Breakfast in America' which did the job alright. I started brewing some herbal teas, fighting off tears and then I started doing this weird thing where I held my nose and closed my eyes and vomited out the tea, which I proceeded to gargle in my mouth and…

• Jørgen Alvestad

★★½ Watched by Jørgen Alvestad 15 Sep, 2014

My first James Dean movie turned out to be the most disappointing movie experience I've had in a long, long time. That's not Dean's fault though, although I have to say he didn't actually impress me at all. The fault lies within the script, which is surprisingly weak. Everything is over-simplified, every character is as one-dimensional as they come, and the development of Jim and Judy's relationship is not even close to realistic. I get the social commentary, and the…

• Carlos Rodríguez

★★★★½ Watched by Carlos Rodríguez 08 Dec, 2009

By far the most iconic and best remembered film out of the three James Dean starred in before his tragic death at the age of 24, Rebel Without a Cause, directed by Nicholas Ray, is a socially relevant, thought-provoking, and really human film. It benefited from excellent performances from Dean, Natalie Wood, and Sal Mineo, and it was also enhanced by compelling characterizations, good writing, and an inspired directorial work. This is a great classic from the '50s, no doubt about it.

• Rocco Tenaglia

★★★★ Rewatched by Rocco Tenaglia 03 Sep, 2014 7

A film of extreme ups and downs, from the acting to the story. Dean and Cain can go from very impressive to almost laughably over-the-top from scene to scene. The story is, at times, heavy and ponderous, but can also be almost comical (and most of the time I don't think it's intentional). I'd say it's because it doesn't hold up, but a lot of it is extremely relevant stuff that honestly holds up VERY well. The saving grace is…

• sschuster

★★★★★ Added by sschuster

Dean and Ray. That's all you need to know to watch this, if you haven't.

• Patrick Mullen

★★★★ Watched by Patrick Mullen 21 Aug, 2014

A good and powerful film. A strong supporting casts backs a decent James Dean performance.

• Matt Taylor

★★★½ Watched by Matt Taylor 23 Aug, 2014

With its T-bird jackets and overdramatic title, "Rebel Without a Cause" should have been a product of its time. Instead, it was far ahead of it.

By focusing on three troubled teens living in an upperclass neighborhood, Nicholas Ray tells an absorbing tale about suburban dissatisfaction that still rings true today. The hardships faced by each of the central characters, coupled with their own psychological issues and overwhelming emotions in the face of growing up, make for a riveting drama…

• Mike P

★★★★★ Rewatched by Mike P 19 Aug, 2014

At the Griffith Observatory there is a bust of James Dean with a melting face--complete with eyes so squinty and hollow they'll haunt your dreams--that I believed to be a gross misremembering of his climatic moments in this film.
    I was wrong.