• Randolph Clapp

★★ Watched by Randolph Clapp 17 Apr, 2016

After hearing constant swooning over James Dean from so many people, I decided to finally check out his biggest role. Needless to say, I am not a believer.

I thought he was incredibly obnoxious. Rebellious characters can be likable if the actor portrays them well, but I absolutely could not stand Dean's character. His performance was about on par with Liam Neeson in *The Phantom Menace*: stoic, emotionless, and uninterested in anything. The only characters I enjoyed were the mother…

• Dave Holmes

★★★★ Added by Dave Holmes

A perfect title in search of movie. OK, the movie is pretty good. But it's exhaulted fame/supposed coolness is more related to that title/the pouty poster and stills/the cult of James Dean than any inherent awesomeness. The film is certainly groundbreaking and historically interesting in the dissaffected youth/teen film genre. I love the locations and the opening credits. But I'm not a massive fan of Jimmy Dean's pouty/whiny/sulky/melodramatic "acting". I get that it was such a "thing" and that it has appealed to generations of insecure youth. But I've always found it a bit OTT.

• OMC

★★★★ Added by OMC 1

This would be like critizing The Last Supper. Rebel Without a Cause stopped being a film a long time ago and became an icon of post-war culture in which bisexual dudes wearing red jackets shine with messianic force. Incredibly influential and pretty good when you actually watch it.

• Maria José

★★ Watched by Maria José 29 Apr, 2016

This is one of the most ridiculous movies I've ever seen.

• Liam Ball

★★ Rewatched by Liam Ball 27 Apr, 2016

James Dean was beyond terrible.

• Tae

★★★★ Watched by Tae 07 Feb, 2016

Film #2 of 100 for 2016

My first James Dean film. I started watching this shortly before a move, and had to stop for the night; it took me a whole year, an auto-deleting off the DVR, and a re-recording off of TCM to finally see it in full. I didn't watch past the first scene that time, but it definitely led to some unfair expectations of what the rest of the movie was going to be like.

That opening…

• Matthew McCracken

★★★★½ Watched by Matthew McCracken 24 Apr, 2016

"We are confronted with a difficulty similar to that of the child who is free to deny the adult, but who cannot do so without becoming an adult in his turn, and thereby forfeiting his freedom." – Georges Bataille

The inescapable terms of failure. In the future, in ten years, we will forget what has been wrought. The terrible apologetics for the acceptance of the world historical horror of WWII. Ideals, and the will to commit to them, rendered null…

• Akiva

★★★★ Watched by Akiva 01 Feb, 2016

Part of my and Sam's quest to see every movie listed in The Celluloid Closet.

• Leandro Kindermann

★★★½ Watched by Leandro Kindermann 22 Apr, 2016

Juventude Transviada fala sobre a eterna rebeldia dos filhos para com seus pais que não só são incapazes de compreender/ouvir os jovens como também são parte da razão destes serem problemáticos. No filme vemos três situações: os pais super-protetores de Jim Stark; o pai frio e rígido de Judy; e os pais ausentes de Platão. Juntos os jovens tentam compreender essas questões e tornam-se mais próximos, a ponto de Platão ver o casal de amigos como a família que não…

• Paulo Junior

★★★★ Added by Paulo Junior

Como é incrível assistir e visualizar toda influência na estrutura de filmes representando a juventude que iria ser utilizada nos anos seguintes.

• jinky

★★★★ Watched by jinky 19 Apr, 2016

Ah, my McDreamy (James Dean) did not disappoint. Another fabulous performance. As with Sal Mineo. It was a treat to see Natalie Wood and "Mr. Howell, III", Jim Backus. I enjoyed this motion picture.

• tavomama