• Karen Morris - Kola

★★★★ Added by Karen Morris - Kola

James Dean is a rebellious teen with problems.

• Mark Allen

★★½ Watched by Mark Allen 09 Dec, 2014 2

I don't know, maybe I'm just disappointed because I thought there would be more to this. It's the myth of James Dean, who's an undeniably magnetic presence, though (wonderfully) far more skittish and neurotic than his bad-boy reputation has us commonly believe.

But, unfortunately, there's just not all that much there. After a couple of great emotional scenes with leads Dean and Natalie Wood stating their doomed teenage cases to the law, the story just kind of flounders until the…

• David

★★★★★ Rewatched by David 08 Dec, 2014

So, Rebel Without a Cause is a masterpiece. I never realized how gorgeously shot it is. The colors are immaculate and the framing is beautiful. It's filled with such a fire and passion, and Dean's performance is magnificent. I don't think there's a better teen drama out there. The melodrama is rich, fiery and truly In-your-face. I think it says more with its passionate, statement-making drama than most do when they attempt calm, pensive insightfulness. Sometimes it takes some good 'ole emotional intensity. The beautiful colors, melodramatic music and wonderful performances sell this thing to no end. It's melodrama at its best and most iconic.

• StephenFurda

★★★★★ Watched by StephenFurda 02 Jul, 2011

I saw Rebel Without a Cause (1955) at my local arthouse. This was my second time seeing it. It was my first Nicholas Ray film a couple of summers ago; now, he's one of my favorite directors, so I was very excited to revisit this one. Honestly, this film kind of puzzles me. There's a lot of reasons why it shouldn't work, namely its 50's roots (I don't believe in "dated" as a form of criticism, but as far as…

• seasondays

★★★½ Watched by seasondays 21 Nov, 2012

it is an icon and in a strange way you really know close to nothing about the movie, so it was mildly interesting watching.
    it is also very strange knowing the faith of the three actors because you are expecting tragic ends for them but yet is not the tragedy one might expect.
    however DEAN, MINEO and WOOD do in fact an amazing job, specially the two men, but the movie belongs without a doubt to its lead, the iconic…

• ScreeningNotes

★★★★ Watched by ScreeningNotes 28 Nov, 2014 5

Decades Project: 1/5 of the 50's

"It's just the age when nothing fits."

James Dean's unforgettable performance and Ernest Haller's gorgeous Technicolor photography have made Rebel Without a Cause a classic piece of historical Americana, but it's more than just pretty colors and a prettier face. It features a coming of age tale about how family, friendship, and interpersonal relationships define identity (in general) and masculinity (in particular).

Jim Stark (Dean) begins the movie as an aimless drifter. He arrives…

• mdh

★★★★★ Watched by mdh 29 Nov, 2014

Too soon to adequately express how much I loved this film. Those beautiful, careful compositions will be imprinted on my brain for quite some time, and I don't even know that they'd be in my top five favorite things here (but they probably would). The three leads are mind-bogglingly great. Wonderfully evocative of both THE CATCHER IN THE RYE and BLUE VELVET.

• ScarpiaGS

★★★½ Watched by ScarpiaGS 19 Feb, 2012

Weimar
    -Gran personalidad de Dean: rebelde, enredado en sí mismo, no termina las frases al hablar
    -Al igual que en Bergman, está presente el tema de la irresponsabilidad de los padres

• frognebula

★★★★ Added by frognebula

honestly this is like a 3 1/2 star movie but james dean bumps it up just because his jacket makes him somehow hotter

• bmart17

★★½ Watched by bmart17 12 Nov, 2014

I was extremely impressed with James Dean in East of Eden, but I came out of this film with a mostly deflated opinion. It's hard for me to empathize with teenagers, and it may be because of this that I was so turned off from the film. His performance never really felt as outstanding as it was with Eden. Perhaps because Kazan was a master of getting the best from his actors, I'm not sure.

Additionally, the rest of the…

• James Healey

★★★½ Watched by James Healey 06 Jan, 2013

Alright story, not as good as I was expecting for the amount of times I hear the name. Opening scene is particularly good.

• Toomah

Added by Toomah

I really liked this movie but wasn't paying attention while watching it.
    I should watch it again.
    I probably will.... sometime.