• Martin White

★★★★ Watched by Martin White 23 Jan, 2015 2

This film is a belting 50s classic exploring teenage rebellion, teen angst and adolescence. It demonstrates easily why James Dean had so much fantastic potential as a screen actor, had he not die so young in a car crash.

• Nadine Keels

★★½ Added by Nadine Keels

"You can't--turn it off."

I'll never forget the image of dude's dad going around in that frilly apron, trying to make a list.

Eeesh, sir.

Not one I'm likely to watch again, but its appeal wasn't lost on me.

• John Sant

★★★★ Rewatched by John Sant 04 Jan, 2015

"Rebel Without a Cause" is quite the quintessential 1950s teenage drama. Doesn't get more classic than this. Glorious color!
    Oh, James, the camera LOVES you! It was impossible not to be loved by the audience! Definition of star quality. I have a soft spot for the tragic Sal Mineo too. He is great in this role. He nails it.
    ★★★★☆

• haleybourgeois

★★★★★ Added by haleybourgeois

This movie lived up to all of the expectations i had Dean and Natalie were excellent sad that dean only lived to star in 3 movies

• mdh

★★★★½ Rewatched by mdh 19 Jan, 2015

All the wonder, confusion, and terror of adolescence. Love how when his tire is deflated, Dean mirrors it, sinking in the frame and releasing a sigh.

• Tom Bannatyne

★★★½ Watched by Tom Bannatyne 06 Jan, 2015

'You're tearing me apart!'

Rebel Without a Cause is best known for defining the historic perception of James Dean, the effortless paradigm of youthful cool, but it also captured the feeling of a generation. For the first time, teenagers in the 50s found a voice, and what resulted was disillusionment and the aimless rebellion of the masses. The trio at the heart of Rebel Without a Cause are only marginally out of the ordinary - they embody a common feeling…

• Persia

★★★★½ Watched by Persia 14 Jan, 2015

When you hear about 'the greats,' this movie comes up, but I hadn't realized just how good it is--the legend of it overshadowed the fact it's a damn good movie, with believable characters and amazing cinematography. (They originally shot in black-and-white, what a crime that would have been.)

• winonabug

Watched by winonabug 20 Dec, 2014

Avoided this for way too long. Pretty much what you'd expect.

• Kartik Singh

★★★★★ Rewatched by Kartik Singh 05 May, 2012

Dialogue sounds just as crisp now as it must have then. Ray really captured the way these teenagers spoke and related to each other.

• Cinematic Justice

★★ Watched by Cinematic Justice 09 Feb, 2010

The psychology of this film, and its thematic content, are far too entwined with every aspect of its action for me to get over how incredibly gross they are. While it's certainly understandable for a 1950s film to have essentialist views of gender and its function in society (even a lot of modern films do the same), it leads to the film being both dated and potentially pernicious if not addressed appropriately.

All three of the film's main characters experience…

• Jordan McLaughlin

★★★★★ Rewatched by Jordan McLaughlin 03 Jan, 2015

This film perplexed me for a long time and is one of my favorite films. I can only imagine the history that he would have made if he hadn't died so young.
    People have picked apart and analyzed this film, but it simply comes down to a film about teenage angst and disillusion on the state of society. James Dean and Natalie Wood deliver stellar performances, my favorites of their careers.
    This film, all these years later, still resonates with me on a deeper level than other films. It's a masterpiece

• Euripedes

Added by Euripedes

Em Rebel Without a Cause (Juventude Transviada), James Dean - "Jim Stark" é um garoto que tomou o caminho errado na vida e ninguém sabe explicar porque. Nem seus professores, nem os policiais que o prenderam mais de uma vez, nem mesmo seus pais. Como milhares de outros rapazes da classe média, Jim é apenas mais um rebelde sem causa. Em um de seus papéis de maior destaque, James Dean é o novo garoto da cidade, cuja solidão e raiva espelham os sentimentos dos adolescentes do pós-guerra... e de dezenas de anos mais tarde!