• Wooderson

★★★★★ Watched by Wooderson 27 Jul, 2015

Film #16 of the "Scavenger Hunt #1"
    Task #16

I want to be James Dean not because he is a culture icon but because he is dead. pls kill me.

I really like this movie though, James Dean really was an incredible talent. I think it captures the essence of youth really well. It's a product of it's time but that's not a bad thing.

• Michael Audet

★★★★ Watched by Michael Audet 23 Jul, 2015 5

@James Dean circa 1955: I am gay and available

"It's just the age when nothing fits."

Rebel Without a Cause follows Jim Stark as he settles into his new town and tries to regain a piece of his innocence while being pulled further away from it. This movie also contains the best delivery of "You're tearing me apart!" since Tommy Wiseau. (I mean, this was before Tommy, but.)

James Dean, while not quite achieving the levels of nuance he strives…

• kurt k

★★★½ Added by kurt k

this has nothing to do with the film but james dean was queer fuck you

• Ryan Fischer

★★★★½ Rewatched by Ryan Fischer 21 Jul, 2015

As the youth in revolt message film that this is ostensibly supposed to be, it's pretty dated, and some of the Freudian material about the parents is almost embarrassing. But, this film thoroughly transcends its genre and message. Ray managed to make a film that captured the experience of youth and muddled the ideas about the standard culprits of the time: some young people sometimes act wildly and irresponsibly because they're young, and the central trio wonderfully represent the liminal…

• Rob Coenen

★★★★ Watched by Rob Coenen 21 Jul, 2015

Film #10 of the "Super Summer Scavenger Hunt"
    Task #8: Watch a movie starring a deceased actor/actress.
    letterboxd.com/robcoenen/list/super-summer-scavenger-hunt/
    ______________________________________________________________________

I always thought James Dean was more of a cult figure instead of a great actor. Boy was I wrong.

I'd never seen a James Dean movie, let alone a movie that's almost 60 years old! It really caught me by surprise. Right from the start Dean shows he's an amazing actor. The scenes between him and his loved ones are…

• Ben Radetski

★★★½ Watched by Ben Radetski 15 Jul, 2015

Maybe I would have liked this more if I had grown up in the 50's.

• Daniel Sarath

★★★★ Watched by Daniel Sarath 09 Jul, 2015

Quintessential teen angst drama that spoke to and for a disillusioned American youth. Poetic, angry and tragic - and that's just James Dean's iconic performance.

Also: Based on my love of this and On The Waterfront I guess I'm just a sucker for 1950s movies with jacket metaphors.

• Harrison Mitchell

★★★★★ Rewatched by Harrison Mitchell 08 Jul, 2015

Still relevant and still powerful over fifty years later.

James Dean is the still the epitome of teenage rebellion and stand for all those that are young and misunderstood.

• teapot37

★★★½ Watched by teapot37 02 Jul, 2015

The story of one night in the lives of three teens: Jim (James Dean), Judy (Natalie Wood), and Plato (Sal Mineo). Jim, the new kid in town, is sick of his milquetoast dad (Jim Backus), and hates to be called chicken. Judy's father dislikes her burgeoning womanhood. And Plato's parents have abandoned him, leaving him to be reared by the housekeeper.

• Ethan Magee

★★★½ Watched by Ethan Magee 07 Jul, 2015

Although I think the whole teen angst and youth vs. adulthood thing has been done better in other movies like The Breakfast Club and West Side Story (at least in one song), this film does a good job of addressing teen issues as much as a movie from this time period could. It more or less blames the parents (and lack of parents) for the cause of troubled teendom and gives a very 1950s conformity moral of a happy home…

• Not Dave Kehr

Added by Not Dave Kehr

Nicholas Ray's moving 1955 tale of teenage romanticism thwarted by an adult world of televisions and atomic bombs established James Dean as America's first underage icon. Dean's alienation is perfectly expressed through Ray's vertiginous mise-en-scene: the suburban LA setting becomes a land of decaying Formica and gothic split-levels. An unmissable film, made with a delirious compassion. With Natalie Wood, Sal Mineo, Jim Backus, Corey Allen, Edward Platt, and Dennis Hopper.

• Joseph Blackwell

★★★★ Rewatched by Joseph Blackwell 07 Jul, 2015

Though the problems of the angsty teens in this film can seem fickle and frustrating by today's standards, Rebel Without a Cause is still a fantastically entertaining film with an iconic James Dean performance and fantastic direction by the masterful Nicholas Ray.
    The incredible widescreen cinematography by Ernest Haller is one of the best examples of the technicolor process, and captures the moment in time of mid 50s middle class America amazingly.
    Though I think that Ray would examine the…