• benh2000

Added by benh2000

Rebel Without a Cause pretty much follows all of the conventions of the teen movie genre. A privileged white male Jim moves to a new town where he encounters the tribe of Buzz's gang who challenges him to a knife fight and a car race in which one of them is killed in. Drinking is a big theme throughout the film as a way of social sacrament.

Supporting character Plato is the archetype of the weird socially awkward friend who…

• eschwa22

★★★ Added by eschwa22

6/10: ★★★★★★☆☆☆☆

• FrankieSays

★★★★ Watched by FrankieSays 27 Jun, 2015 2

James Dean gets that existential look of a sad poet in his eyes, dons a delinquent's red jacket, and whines about not belonging anywhere; whines about being lost and confused and alone, yet despite his privileged status as white, early-20's, strappin' male, I found myself able to relate with him anyway.

For a boy from such a conflicted household, Dean's Jimmy Stark just gets it. Gets how to talk to another troubled boy lost in the dark back into the…

• Gnske

★★½ Watched by Gnske 27 Jun, 2015

A bunch of truly stupid people and a mass murderer of puppies try to kill other people and in one case, themselves because life is confusing.

• Rosp

★★½ Added by Rosp

Nota = 5

• Lawrence Garcia

★★★ Watched by Lawrence Garcia 20 Jun, 2015

60/100

Oof. Given that I think Ray's They Live By Night is one of the greatest films of all time, I was expecting his most well-known, canonized work to be at least within hailing distance of greatness. But for better and for worse (though in my mind, mostly for worse), Rebel Without a Cause is just too much a product of its time for myself, as modern viewer, to really find anything to latch on aside from the astonishing formal…

• Lee Tierney

★★★★½ Added by Lee Tierney

Difficult movie to write a review about. To put it simply, it's fantastic. Just do yourself a favour and watch it. Instant classic.

• PopeAwesome

★★★ Watched by PopeAwesome 15 Jun, 2015

Good performances but rather sappy and melodramatic. Sad to say it hasn't aged well but its interesting both as a time capsule and as James Dean"s breakout role

• Jesse Thompson

★★★★½ Watched by Jesse Thompson 15 Jun, 2015

Both an enduringly relevant parable about masculinity untethered amid outdated role models, and an illustrious argument that melodrama is entirely serviceable to the troubled male hero.

• Carl

★★★★ Watched by Carl 13 Jun, 2015

This was kind of like a hardcore Breakfast Club, and I really enjoyed it. The acting is great, I can see the hype for James Dean. He is a very good looking dude, with good acting chops and charisma. There were some pretty intense sequences in here that I also really liked, and although a bit dated with some of it's dialogue, I enjoyed seeing what the 50s were like, even it is a bit exaggerated.

The story seems a…

• Rodex

★★★★★ Added by Rodex

Clásico de clásicos. James inmortalizando la juventud, belleza y talento.

• soirore

★★★½ Watched by soirore 06 Jun, 2015

Lurid 1950s greatness; can understand where all the love comes from.

Slightly impaired my own enjoyment by being unable to stop thinking "ooh this is a location from GTA V" at the observatory scenes.

Part of my Unseen Popular Films By Year project and really glad I got round to seeing it.