• Elias Elias

★★★★ Added by Elias Elias

This kind of things really makes you think of all the wrong things in our world...

• Roger Joseph Ebert

★★★½ Added by Roger Joseph Ebert

Katherine Harris was a piece of work. The Florida Secretary of State during the 2000 elections is not intended as the leading role in "Recount," an HBO docudrama about that lamentable fiasco, but every time Laura Dern appears on the screen, she owns it. Watch her stride into a room of powerful men, pick up a little paper packet of sugar for her coffee, and shake it with great sweeping arm gestures as if she were a demonstrator in an…

• kylegarvey

Added by kylegarvey

A lazy and disappointing movie. It's more concerned with excruciatingly boring bureaucracy (frantic phone calls and awkward press conferences -- fascinating!) than with any number of more interesting possibilities (a wider look at the recount's context, a character study, or even just a more interesting take on the story itself). There is so much possibility here, but all we end up with is a frustrating, humdrum slog.

• Edith Nelson

★★★★ Watched by Edith Nelson 10 Jan, 2014

Democracy at Work?

Full disclosure--I cried that first night. And again when the Gore camp finally gave up. I am not unbiased in the events this movie portrays. However, I'm not sure I believe anyone who cares about politics possibly could be. It's worth noting that filmmakers Jay Roach and Danny Strong interviewed as many people associated with the historical events as they could. The goal, in fact, had been to interview at least one person who appeared in every…

• Lucas Zegwaard

★★★★ Added by Lucas Zegwaard

These are some crazy shenanigans inside the US voting system. Sure there are some things that make the Republicans seems very close to looking like the evil empire itself, but it does make the film somewhat more exciting.

• David Owen

★★½ Watched by David Owen 26 Sep, 2013

This picks up a lot in the second half and just as well cause the first half drags like crazy. It's a ridiculous story and one that is painful to admit is true. Crazy stuff.

• Jay

★★★½ Watched by Jay 21 Sep, 2013

Directed by - Jay Roach
    Written by - Danny Strong
    Based on the events of the 2000 US Presidential Election
    Starring - Kevin Spacey, Bob Balaban, Laura Dern, John Hurt, Bruce McGill, Tom Wilkinson, Jayne Atkinson and Denis Leary

It’s almost thirteen years since George W. Bush stole the Presidency (I jest, I shall try to remain nonpartisan in this review) and it’s still a stain on America that such a shambolic event was even allowed to happen. Recount, a…

• Michaeldmanley

★★★★ Watched by Michaeldmanley 25 May, 2008

An insanely entertaining docudrama with an excellent cast.

• vgeorgie

★★★½ Added by vgeorgie

Great cast (especially Laura Dern), smart script. Of its time.

• trentflix

★★★½ Watched by trentflix 07 Sep, 2012

I'm already sick of politics and the upcoming election but I had heard a lot of good things about this and I really enjoyed Game Change which was made by the same team. I wasn't old enough to really care about the 2000 election but I remember the controversy and confusion surrounding it. Recount is mainly one-sided but the true frustration comes because this should not have happened at all in this day and age with the technology available. I highly recommend it for anyone interested in the event.

• iceberrie

★★★½ Watched by iceberrie 05 Apr, 2013

I tend to give leeway to political-oriented movies in narrative, and thus once again the stars I'm giving are somewhat generous. Back in 2000, I was gripped by this recount and saw the news all day, but never knew that it could become a proper thriller like Jay Roach made. Great job!

• Chuck Pedroza

★★★½ Watched by Chuck Pedroza 16 Mar, 2013

One of HBO films that retell the stories of influential political events in recent years. A good example of the problems that a complex political system like the American one can make and how the partisan idiosyncrasies are exalted on confrontations. Solid writing and acting across the board.