• Patrick Mullen

★★★½ Watched by Patrick Mullen 04 Feb, 2016

Recount is a very well made, interesting movie. The performances are all very good.

• Ryan Martin

★★★½ Watched by Ryan Martin 25 Jan, 2016

Frightening

• Wyatt

★★★★ Watched by Wyatt 22 Jan, 2016

The TV movie that was the precursor to The Big Short . Except in my honest opinion, this is far superior in execution and making me genuinely pissed-off.

Before the 2008 financial collapse, we had the 2000 presidential election which would ultimately be decided by the Supreme Court in Bush v. Gore. When I was going to school, this always ended up being the last topic before the reviews for finals happened. So naturally, teachers would highlight the main points…

• Corey Pierce

★★★ Watched by Corey Pierce 21 Jan, 2016

Jay Roach is addicted to so-so political dramas.

• Dave Evans

★★★½ Watched by Dave Evans 05 Jul, 2015

Recount is typical HBO--a decidedly liberal perspective, profane at times, and high-quality enough that it could easily be a big-screen movie. It makes American politics seem petty overall and works best when it appeals to higher principles, like the importance of every vote.

It's longer than it really needs to be and sometimes drags a little. There are some exciting scenes, but more of the screen-time is taken up on numerous scenes with men in rooms talking and press conferences. I enjoy movies based on true stories, but despite this one's fine cast and script I found Recount a little on the lackluster side.

• Mens_rea

★★★★★ Rewatched by Mens_rea 12 Jan, 2016

the plural of 'chad' is 'chad' and the law says, there has to be a hurricane.

• Cameron Harrison

★★★★ Added by Cameron Harrison

A fascinating look into the 2000 election and the personalities behind it. Expertly balances information and entertainment.

• Dylan

★★★★ Rewatched by Dylan 05 Nov, 2015

One of the most rewatchable films ever made. And I stand by that hyperbole.

• Ken

★★★ Watched by Ken 21 Sep, 2015

63/100

Strongly acted and sharply directed and edited (even though we know it won't happen, there's a hanging (ha, ha) mood that someone could get shot at any second), but despite being a diehard liberal who generally agrees with the characterization, a movie otherwise attempting to be politically impartial with a neutral title like Recount for one feels like a Team Gore underdog story, and a shallow one at that.

• Mike Hricik

★★★ Watched by Mike Hricik 13 Sep, 2015

Made-for-HBO movies tend to assemble better ensembles than most Hollywood prestige pictures. The casting director for Recount nabbed Kevin Spacey as the 2000 Gore campaign's head recount strategist Ron Klain. When is Spacey as a stubborn, backroom-dealing political operative not consistently enthralling? Oh, and Laura Dern gets to play an oblivious Southern lady in Florida secretary of state Katherine Harris. Drawling Tom Wilkinson also relishes delivering ironic lines about "the strength of the Constitution" in the midst of this horrendous…

• marisacarpico

★★★★★ Watched by marisacarpico 11 Sep, 2015

Too real, it's a shame the film can't quite tell the story in as compelling as a way as it played out in the news, but it succeeds in conveying what a mess the American election system is.

• Mynt Marsellus

★★★★ Rewatched by Mynt Marsellus 06 Jul, 2015

I really love this movie. Because I think that it rightly demonstrates that the American electoral system is a mess and that the systems of checks and balances on that electoral system only make it worse. I don't really fault any of the people involved with what happened. The ambiguity of the law allowed for multiple fair interpretations of the law which created a system that was bound to fail, as it has in many circumstances in America's history.

This film is, above all else, a repudiation of the electoral college. And that I can get behind.