• Matt Greene

★★½ Rewatched by Matt Greene 13 Apr, 2016

“Recount” works at bringing to light the desperate failure of the American “democratic” system in 2000…we’re shown corrupt behind-the-scenes wheeling-and-dealing, and are shocked to see the most important job-hire in the world left to volunteers studying thousands of tiny slips of paper. However, despite his best efforts, Roach failed to show how people on BOTH sides of the aisle were morally sinister. Combined with his style (or lack thereof), “Recount” the film is more forgettable than reality.

• Alex

★★★½ Watched by Alex 30 Apr, 2016

Brilliant, well acted political drama, Recount focuses on the events following the 2000 election. With a great cast of actors, director Jay Roach, who would later helm Game Change, crafts a solid drama that tells a good story about the election. The cast all bring something solid to the screen, and it is a film that stands out as a film that uses the political subject, and delivers something compelling and memorable. Jay Roach is more famous for directing the…

• Peter Webb

★★★½ Watched by Peter Webb 15 Apr, 2016 2

The timeless story of how undemocratic and unrepresentative the election process is of the American people.

An illuminating yet fairly average made-for-TV biopic, with limited directorial style but lots of archival footage, filled with one dimensional characters: David Boies loves Baskin Robbins; Warren Christopher loves Dr Pepper; Katherine Harris loves God.

Perhaps of most interest to the diehard 'House of Cards' fans who want more Kevin Spacey.

also: dinglechad is such a ridiculous world, and Antonin Scalia was such a dick

• levialpert

★★★½ Rewatched by levialpert 28 Mar, 2016

By the same people, but I found "Game Change," the spiritual sequel is a bit better. Watching this begs the question- what kind of movie will be made about this election and who will be cast?

• Davis McCardle

★★★★ Rewatched by Davis McCardle 28 Mar, 2016 1

Setting the story in Florida, instead of what could have been a roving political story or DC-based 'walk and talk', makes the film as interesting as it is. It peeks in on DC, primarily for the Supreme Court hearings, but sticks pretty close to sunny Florida, and is as much about statewide political lunacy as the national brand. Kevin Spacey is an inspired pick here, and I much prefer his mid-level advisor performance than his megalomaniacal politician in House of Cards.

• Dudeist Pianist

★★★½ Watched by Dudeist Pianist 30 Mar, 2016

hail 2 the thief

• Petter Åberg

★★★ Watched by Petter Åberg 28 Mar, 2016

The presidential election in 2000 was to become one of the most controversial in american history. The film shows us the florida recount that finally decided the election, it does this in a good but rather biased way.
    all in all a good movie but with some rather heavy shortcomings. A dull photo and quite flawed script makes the film fail to reach any higher ratings for me.

• MeJoAn

★★★★½ Rewatched by MeJoAn 17 Mar, 2016

Really well done and thought provoking, atleast for me. Excessive language I can only assume is supposed to be an "accurate portrayal" of how it really way. More gripping than you would expect a film about an election to be.

• PhillipAram

★★★★ Watched by PhillipAram 17 Mar, 2016

My apatite for all things politics is pretty insatiable right now. Found this HBO production circulating on Amazon Prime.

If it came out today I imagine Netflix/HBO/Amazing/Hulu would compete like mad to release it as an original film.

It's a smart and well paced examination of chad, double sided ballots, and punch card voting. Recount clocks in at 2 hours but feels more like a tight 90 minute takedown of the events following the 200 presidential election. The cast is…

• Zac Barr

★★★½ Watched by Zac Barr 10 Mar, 2016

For a made for TV movie it's very good. Good performances, slightly biased at times, but still, a good film.

• Michael Audet

★★★½ Watched by Michael Audet 20 Feb, 2016

Seemed like a decent watch as I wait for the results of today's Nevada caucus to roll in. Recount is the retelling of the days immediately following the 2000 Bush vs. Gore election. As the movie shows, it's a bit of a clusterfuck. I suppose the only thing that would make this situation more fucked up would be an Electoral College tie a la Veep.

This is made by some of the same people who made Game Change, a film…

• Ron Bronson

★★★ Rewatched by Ron Bronson 14 Feb, 2016

It's an interesting take on the events of the Presidential election of 2000. It'll be something that eventually gets reflected on and studied well after we're all gone and this review is no longer accessible.

As for the film itself, I thought they did a solid job of casting a film with so many relatively well-known political characters. The story didn't spend a lot of time on fluff outside of the actual events, which makes it more watchable, even if you obviously know the outcome.