• Dylan

★★★★ Rewatched by Dylan 05 Nov, 2015

One of the most rewatchable films ever made. And I stand by that hyperbole.

• Ken

★★★ Watched by Ken 21 Sep, 2015

Strongly acted and sharply directed and edited (even though we know it won't happen, there's a hanging (ha, ha) mood that someone could get shot at any second), but despite being a diehard liberal who generally agrees with the characterization, a movie otherwise attempting to be politically impartial with a neutral title like Recount for one feels like a Team Gore underdog story, and a shallow one at that.

• Mike Hricik

★★★ Watched by Mike Hricik 13 Sep, 2015

Made-for-HBO movies tend to assemble better ensembles than most Hollywood prestige pictures. The casting director for Recount nabbed Kevin Spacey as the 2000 Gore campaign's head recount strategist Ron Klain. When is Spacey as a stubborn, backroom-dealing political operative not consistently enthralling? Oh, and Laura Dern gets to play an oblivious Southern lady in Florida secretary of state Katherine Harris. Drawling Tom Wilkinson also relishes delivering ironic lines about "the strength of the Constitution" in the midst of this horrendous…

• marisacarpico

★★★★★ Watched by marisacarpico 11 Sep, 2015

Too real, it's a shame the film can't quite tell the story in as compelling as a way as it played out in the news, but it succeeds in conveying what a mess the American election system is.

• Mynt Marsellus

★★★★ Rewatched by Mynt Marsellus 06 Jul, 2015

I really love this movie. Because I think that it rightly demonstrates that the American electoral system is a mess and that the systems of checks and balances on that electoral system only make it worse. I don't really fault any of the people involved with what happened. The ambiguity of the law allowed for multiple fair interpretations of the law which created a system that was bound to fail, as it has in many circumstances in America's history.

This film is, above all else, a repudiation of the electoral college. And that I can get behind.

• Johnathan Detrick

★★★½ Watched by Johnathan Detrick 14 Jun, 2015

I would suspect that one's enjoyment of this film may have much to do with one's politics, as I think this movie tends to skew somewhat to the left. It's not completely unsympathetic to one side, but it's certainly leaning in one direction. That being said, it's also a rather depressing look at the problems with our democracy and the horrible mess that both sides made of the 2000 presidential election. The take away is that politics trumped democracy and that's extremely disheartening.

• Craig Duffy

★★★½ Watched by Craig Duffy 25 May, 2015

Nothing remarkable. Nothing too cinematic about it but absolutely functional. Also, absolutely heartbreaking. How close we were to a different world. This was one of those turning points where alternate dimension branch off from each other. If I were Jerry O'Connell I would slide there if I could.

• Robert Joseph Schneider

★★★ Watched by Robert Joseph Schneider 23 May, 2015

Movies about politics make me feel like a grown up.

• JaySalahi

★★★½ Rewatched by JaySalahi 25 Feb, 2013

B (86)

• Sam's Labyrinth

★★★★ Watched by Sam's Labyrinth 05 May, 2015

"Recount," "Game Change," "Too Big to Fail" ... HBO does an awesome job with these political dramatizations of real events.

• J. Matthew Lucas

★★★½ Watched by J. Matthew Lucas 08 Apr, 2015

Fun Fact: The only year out of my first 14 where I did not live in Florida was the year 2000, when my home state was even more of a laughing stock than usual. And since I was only 10 at the time, and much more concerned with Legos than politics, I have literally no memory of this soap opera. Therefore, if nothing else, I found this film informative in helping me get a sense what things were like at…

• Reece Leonard

★★★½ Added by Reece Leonard

Although those not interested in the details of the voting process might find it a bit dry, the performances (Dern is excellent in her few scenes) and the intelligent script offer up a compelling look at the very likely victory for Al Gore that was unconstitutionally given to Bush by the Supreme Court thanks to gross partisanship, inacccurate voting procedures, and Republican voter fraud.