• Bob R.

★★★½ Watched by Bob R. 30 Nov, 2013

"Redline" features humans, aliens, robots and anthropomorphic animals competing in a galaxy spanning super-car race. Not exactly a new concept, but the animation is lovely and there a real sense energy running through the whole story. It's made even more impressive when one considers that the film makers made the conscious decision to forgo computer animation in favor of hand-drawn frames - over 100,000 in total. Pretty cool.

• Mark_Lemmond

★★★★½ Watched by Mark_Lemmond 11 Nov, 2013

A visually impressive and insane movie.

• Phil Newton

★★★ Watched by Phil Newton 08 Nov, 2013

Set in a distant future, a few people still enjoy the thrills of motor racing and are competing to get a spot in the upcoming Redline tournament. We follow racers JP - formerly charged with race-fixing - and Sonoshee as they prepare for the deathly race, as the drivers are not only threatened by each other but also the unfriendly inhabitants of the planet they're due to compete on. Redline is like a more adult-orientated anime of Speed Racer, with that zany humour, pace and candy-coated visuals.

• VNPryor

★★★½ Watched by VNPryor 17 Oct, 2013

This may be the most impressive looking animated movie I've ever seen.

It's so impressive looking that sometimes I didn't understand what was actually happening? But, really, who cares? it looked awesome...

• Eamon Copher

★★★★ Watched by Eamon Copher 14 Oct, 2013

Redline is: winning a race powered completely by love and haircuts. Or, more frames of animation for some guy turning off a tv than an entire anime television series' first two seasons.

• Joseph Blackwell

★★★½ Added by Joseph Blackwell

REAAAAAAL ULTIMATEE POWERRRRR!!!

If you like your animation fast, psychadelic and even more fast on top of that then this is right up your alley, I would suggest this as a double feature with The Wachowski's Speed Racer.

• Patrick Welker

★★★½ Watched by Patrick Welker 07 Oct, 2013

Personally I was hoping for something more extreme. Anyway, nice animation artwork.

• JamesLebowski

★★★★½ Watched by JamesLebowski 04 Oct, 2013

I'm getting a bit video-gamey now but I guess a lot of people might understand it.
    Just imagine the weapons and fun of Mario Kart mixed with the speed and science fiction of Wipeout and blended with the crashes and insanity of Burnout and finally everything sped up and intensified a billion times and spiced up with eccentric and amazing character designs straight out of Guilty Gear XX.

"Redline" follows the driver JP and opens up during a qualifying race…

• FanBoyCritic

★★★★★ Added by FanBoyCritic

Redline is a racing film created by studio Madhouse (Paprika, The Girl Who Leapt Through Time, Summer Wars). Redline is about the biggest and most deadly racing tournament in the universe. Only held once every five years, everyone wants to stake their claim to fame, including JP, a reckless dare-devil driver oblivious to speed limits with his ultra-customized car - all the while, organized crime and militaristic governments want to leverage the race to their own ends. Amongst the other…

• lokiduck

★★★★½ Added by lokiduck

This movie is more or less Speed Racer on crack to me. Plus the Pompadour, amazing visuals and fun premise give it bonus points. This is right now my favorite racing movie, as it isn't just a race but a race on a planet which is trying to stop them and it is just a completely fun ride.

• Paul Robinson

★★★½ Watched by Paul Robinson 20 Jul, 2013

A simple story elevated by a really full and creative universe. The animation is unique and spectacular to look at. But brought down by it's pretty standard and unoriginal storyline and it's annoying soundtrack.

• evlkeith

★★ Watched by evlkeith 07 Jan, 2013

It's Wacky Races in anime form. Only not as good.

That's being a tad harsh because at its best Redline is stunning. The first race is a blistering exercise in linking speed, sound, visual distortion and sensory overload. I played the Blu-ray at the normal volume setting that I generally use. The soundtrack came belting out and shook all of the pictures off the walls. Fair enough. It needs to be watched at a very high volume to get the…