• Dante

★★★½ Rewatched by Dante 17 Aug, 2014

There is so much potential in Alex Cox's Repo Man.

Pugnacious punk rockers, fluorescent extra-terrestrial mysteries, product placement disdain, cool and grizzled Harry Dean Stanton, a voice of a generation. All these pieces have a carnal cult-allure, yet Cox lacked the competency to link each one together. A brilliant script, but a "ehh, pretty good" film.

The biggest flop is obviously the alien subplot. On its surface, it is just dumb. Aliens? Really? And while it isn't executed very well,…

• The Spenc

★★★★ Watched by The Spenc 12 Aug, 2014

Sarcastic, off beat, crazy and surreal. Does not make any sense by traditional standards,but still it's ace. Glad , I finally watched this cult classic.

• Ben Dugan

★★★★½ Rewatched by Ben Dugan 10 Aug, 2014

I cannot put into words why I love "Repo Man" as much as I do. Maybe it's because I saw it at the right age as a young teenage punk. Maybe it's because "Repo Man" is stylish and quotable for days. Maybe it's just because Harry Dead Stanton is one of the coolest dudes ever.
    Whatever it is all I can say is "Repo Man" is one of my favorite movies for any reason you can think of. It is just one of the coolest things you can watch that gets better each time you watch it.

• Knox Gray

★★★★★ Added by Knox Gray

Every once in a while I see a movie that by all explanation sounds terrible but in execution is flawless. A philosophical journey through the zeitgeist fueled punk scene of 1980's Los Angels with a stellar cast and moments of genuine hilarity.

• Rick Vance

Watched by Rick Vance 01 Aug, 2014

Intense

• Ethan Rosenberg

Watched by Ethan Rosenberg 02 Aug, 2014

Exhibit A in my upcoming Why Fight Club is Bad for You essay. Repo Man proves with vigor that a punk rock satire can be critical (and fun!) without being hypocritical.

• Tom Prankerd

★★★★ Watched by Tom Prankerd 02 Aug, 2014

Smart, wired madness from Alex Cox. It's a remarkably confident film - it sounds like the sort of thing that should have been filmed on a second hand VHS camera but instead it's full of professional actors at the top of their form while retaining a punky flavour. Harry Dean Stanton's clearly relishing having a central role here while the plot is a wonderful, genre-shifting beast, never doing what you expect it to.

• Chris Jensen

★★★★ Rewatched by Chris Jensen 30 Jul, 2014

Harry Dean Stanton helps elevate what could have been a terrible movie. Always fills me with nostalgia for oddball 80's cult film.

• SilentDawn

★★★★ Watched by SilentDawn 26 Jul, 2014 2

Repo Man is everything I wanted and more from a cult film; Biting and pitch-perfect social commentary, a witty and amazingly quotable script, and actors all at the top of their game, which is wrapped up in the trappings of a 50s paranoia Alien picture.

Sure, It's completely bonkers, but you can't help but feel utter euphoria as the final frames of this insane piece of cinema flash before your eyes, leaving you in a state of bewilderment and confused chaos.

It also has Harry Dean Stanton saying the F-Word constantly. If that doesn't sell it, I don't know what will.

• J.T. Moore

★★★★ Watched by J.T. Moore 25 Jul, 2014

Punk Rock Pulp Fiction

• Chris Purdie

★★★★★ Added by Chris Purdie

This is a movie that just improves and reveals itself a little more on every viewing. Someday, I'll take all the hard drugs before putting it on and on that day I might actually understand what it's all about, but I almost don't want to know because therein lies the fun.

I blame society.

• Lee Gaze

★★★ Watched by Lee Gaze 10 Jul, 2014

The editing in this movie is clearly on drugs.