• Mauricio Xavier

★½ Watched by Mauricio Xavier 13 Oct, 2014

I had received wrong information about this beforehand, but that only accounts for one of the levels of bafflement I got from learning this was directed by a trained film student. It feels like a one-and-done, a passion project from somebody whose love of the material is supposedly going to make up for the inexperience. A lot of stuff here feels genuine, like the moments when Otto fucks up while trying to be cool (driving into garbage while trying to…

• saythewordfilm

★★½ Watched by saythewordfilm 14 Oct, 2014

Considered a cult classic. Definitely a throwback to LA pulp and sci fi. It is really out there. I don't know if it has aged well. The humor is in the dialogue. The plot is a bit incoherent, especially at the end: but maybe it doesn't matter. A movie like this is obviously a piece of cinema Tarantino has taken and repackaged as Pulp Fiction: a tighter and more coherent film. Maybe the end is yelling for a desire for escapism: freedom that authority is trying hard to contain.Even the repo man is a form of authority.

• Paul Wilson

★★★ Watched by Paul Wilson 13 Oct, 2014

Truly bizarre but so well performed by all involved, especially by estevez and stanton who make for a great partnership. It may often be nonsensical but its so much fun and kept my attention throughout, mainly because I had no bloody idea what would happen next to be honest. I can definitely see why its so highly regarded but I reckon it could take me a few more viewings to get up to that level for me. Will be revisiting it for sure in the future to see if it does.

• Patricia Carol

★★★ Watched by Patricia Carol 04 Oct, 2014

Part of the Ruby Oliver Film Festival *

This has to be the most punk-rock movie I've ever seen as it refused to adhere to the conventional movie narrative. Is it sci-fi, or action/adventure or biting social commentary? It comes with a great soundtrack and will keep you interested.

Cost: free from library
    Where watched: at home.

*This movie is part of E. Lockheart's list of top 10 movies and I'd be interested to hear why she likes it.

• Suri Grennell

★★★ Added by Suri Grennell

Another film which, in the end, felt like it went no where but was a fun ride getting there.

• dr_chile

★★★★½ Rewatched by dr_chile 08 Oct, 2014

Not unlike Mulholland Drive, watching this film is like falling into the Los Angelenos subconscious. It is, to my knowledge, the only cyberpunk film that features cholos prominently. It is an absolute blast of a movie. A postmodern riff on exploitation, westerns, b-movie science fiction films, and teenage ennui. An after-school special depiction of a Sam McPheeters reality. Much like Pulp Fiction, it takes you into this heightened reality of the great American city of Los Angeles and lets you…

• Joseph William Lewis

★★ Watched by Joseph William Lewis 06 Oct, 2014

Some cool stylistic touches and bizarre one-liners aside, I genuinely have no idea what the fuck I just watched. Cult classic I get, universal acclaim I do not.

• Luke Tipton

★★★★½ Watched by Luke Tipton 05 Oct, 2014

Dead aliens in the trunk of an irradiated green glowing Chevy Malibu; that’s gotta be one of the all-time great MacGuffins. Plus it’s got a perfect ending, Harry Dean Stanton, punk rock, and it’s shot by Robby Müller. Need I say more?

• FreonFilm

★★★½ Watched by FreonFilm 04 Oct, 2014

En kultrulle i ordets alla bemärkelser.

• M.A. DeRuyter

★★★½ Added by M.A. DeRuyter

The definitive "punk" film, REPO MAN is a pseudo-philosophic odyssey into the mind of the socially alienated. This is the kind of film to memorize every line of. Packed with quotable moments. A great trip to take again & again.

• andre_k

★★★ Watched by andre_k 25 Sep, 2014

Lay off the weed, movie. Opening title sequence was nice and energetic but it was all downhill from there. A bit too directionless and rambling for me, especially the second half.

• fatpie42

★★★ Watched by fatpie42 17 Apr, 2012

By the way, this isn't the "Repo: The Genetic Opera" kind of 'repo man'. A 'repo man' here is someone who repossesses the cars of people in debt.

Our protagonist seems pretty unsympathetic from the start, but all the more reason why he becomes attracted to the nihilistic philosophy of the repo men. He finds himself with two eccentric repo men mentors who show him the ropes and get him into some extreme scenarios. Meanwhile his old friends, fellow school…