• Michael Strenski

★★★★½ Rewatched by Michael Strenski 19 Apr, 2014

Last week I went to a punk rock show headlined by a band featuring a seminal figure in the early '80s Southern California punk scene. While there was certainly a sizable contingent of old guard punks with graying hair nursing their PBRs, the crowd mostly skewed younger.

One of this younger set was right in front of me, about three rows back from the stage. He was shirtless and on his right bicep he had a perfectly composed anarchy tattoo…

• Chevalier

★★★ Added by Chevalier

I couldn't get into this film as much as other people. Might have something to do with it's punk asthetics.

• Mitch Anderson

★★★★½ Rewatched by Mitch Anderson 10 Apr, 2014

I miss this type of studio picture; the kind where the director has a clear vision and idea for what they want to make, and are willing to take a smaller-than-usual budget in exchange for being able to figure out how to realize it. It seems that these flat-out odd, strange films like Repo Man will actually leave much more of an impression than the mega-blockbusters scientifically designed to appeal to EVERYBODY.

Also, the ADR in this movie is so goddamn great.

• VeganBen

★★★★ Watched by VeganBen 10 Apr, 2014

I have seriously no idea what I just watched. But I think I liked it.

• Scott Audetat

★★½ Watched by Scott Audetat 05 Apr, 2014

I couldn't really get into this one, and it felt very dull for the most part.

The acting was so so and the plot wasn't very fully realized. Like it just seemed like a jumbled mess in the end, and the ending made little sense.

The effects were pretty awful looking, despite the kind of alright trunk bit.

• Brian Pitts

★★★★ Rewatched by Brian Pitts 05 Apr, 2014

After a lifetime of watching the film exclusively on VHS, I was really not prepared for how good the Criterion Blu-Ray would look...still just as awesome and weird as I remember, and the whole punk/generic aesthetic gives the thing a partial timelessness, where it doesn't feel quite as dated as some of the other films of the era.

• runningboffin

★★★ Added by runningboffin

This film is intense!

• Rodney Sedgwick

★★★½ Watched by Rodney Sedgwick 01 Apr, 2014 4

''The life of a repo man is always intense.''

Alex Cox's 1984 cult favourite Repo Man wades in a melting pot of social satire and commentary but has a rebellious punk ethos. With the under-current of nuclear holocaust paranoia and impending doom that was sweeping the 80's (War Games and Red Dawn from around the same era touched on the same nerve) there is a similar streak throughout this film with it's alien sub-plot that adds as a point of…

• John Barnes

★★★★½ Rewatched by John Barnes 29 Mar, 2014

I don't think any viewing will ever equal that initial one when I had no idea what to expect.

I was feeling mentally like shit the other day and threw this on in the background while screwing around on the Internet, and for the first time I felt like I identified with Otto and punk music on an emotional level.

It was a bit too much and I had to go for a walk and clear my head. Anyway I don't know why I don't own the soundtrack yet. That's the only thing that could have made the Criterion release better.

• mattmav45

★★★½ Watched by mattmav45 29 Mar, 2014

I didn't quite love it, but this is still simply a damn good time.

It's quite frankly hilarious with a slight sci-fi twist and some slick car chases to boot. This is the kind of film in which you need to just stop giving a fuck and let the absurdity abound. Special mention of course to the punk music. I'm not a punk fan myself, but there are some killer tunes on display here.

Going to keep this review short as words won't do the film justice. Watch and experience, plain and simple.

• Jamie S. Rich

★★★ Rewatched by Jamie S. Rich 21 Mar, 2014

• MasterRick

★★★★½ Rewatched by MasterRick 23 Aug, 2013

This is a sneakily good movie. On the surface, its mix of punk attitude, social commentary and science fiction elements are enough to merit a cult following, but it’s actually a pretty strong piece of filmmaking. It’s not that it just contains oddball characters, it’s truly eccentric at its heart, with left field plot turns and strange philosophies coalescing into a distinct worldview. The story follows a young punk (Emilio Estevez) getting tricked into joining the repossession business by an…