• Philip Schmidt

★★★★½ Watched by Philip Schmidt 29 Jan, 2015

Estevez, much like his father as Capt. Willard before him, is our entry point into this bizarre world. He anchors it just enough to let the film be what it is: wild, anarchic fun.

Though the plot is quite loose, Cox puts such great attention into each shot, each character, and each line of dialog, that nothing feels accidental. It is that rare movie that achieves a rigorous looseness.

• Oliver Killen

★★★★★ Added by Oliver Killen

Classic!

• Dave Bobowski

★★★½ Watched by Dave Bobowski 25 Jan, 2015

71/100

"I do my best thinking on the bus. That's how come I don't drive, see.
    "You don't even know how to drive."
    "I don't want to know how. I don't want to learn. See? The more you drive the less intelligent you are."

• sydney

★★★★ Rewatched by sydney 24 Jan, 2015 2

"A lot of people don't realize what's really going on. They view life as a bunch of unconnected incidents 'n things. They don't realize that there's this, like, lattice of coincidence that lays on top of everything. Give you an example, show you what I mean - suppose you're thinkin' about a plate of shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate of shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness."

• john lichman

★★★★ Watched by john lichman 17 Jan, 2015

Finally dug into a backlog of Criterion stuff I bought. Brought back weird memories of maybe watching this on TV as a kid on some Saturday movie slot, but that seems impossible given the surreal role Alex Cox gives everyone (punks, supermarkets, what I assume is the daily life of Harry Dean Stanton) and Los Angeles.

• Ethan Warren

★★★½ Watched by Ethan Warren 06 Aug, 2013

I was so confused by this movie and what it wanted to be. It's weird, but not through-and-through weird enough to hold my attention, until the ending where it's suddenly VERY weird. But it was too late, too much pretty normal stuff had happened for me to totally buy into the weirdness. I'm still not even sure what the whole idea is--does it take place in a dystopia? It seems to, except when it doesn't. I so wanted to be in, but it just didn't happen.

• seanwhiteman

Rewatched by seanwhiteman 19 Jan, 2015

Backgrounded VHS while revising Banshee Supplements.

• Jason MD-P

★★★½ Added by Jason MD-P

Strange, interesting, and so beautifully eighties!

• Elisa Shoff

★★★★ Added by Elisa Shoff

Emilio!!!!

• Caleb Herring

★★★★ Watched by Caleb Herring 11 Jan, 2015

I don't know. I think I liked it?

• Victor Guimarães

★★★★ Watched by Victor Guimarães 05 Jan, 2015

The film presents itself at the beginning as a sci-fi suspense, but soon we notice its weirdness and its taste for auto-irony. It is, at the same time, an absurdist action movie and a very inventive satire on relations between government, crime and outlying communities.

• Dave Imboden

★★★★ Watched by Dave Imboden 05 Jan, 2015

"What about our relationship?"
    "...what? Fuck that."

Repo Man is punk rock as fucking shit.