• mj

★★★★★ Added by mj

terrifying

• Ann Motas

★★★½ Watched by Ann Motas 22 Jul, 2014

This was my first time viewing. An incredibly powerful film and at times very hard to watch. By the end of the film, I felt sad, frustrated, and miserable. FYI, do not watch this film right before you go to bed. I need to think happy thoughts now.

• Tristiac

★★★★★ Rewatched by Tristiac 17 Jul, 2014

One of those gamechanger movies in my film fandom. It always comes up in conversations about films that you can only watch once, which I find ridiculous. While I recognize it's intense, honestly the subject matter is besides the point; the filmmaking on display is so kinetic, inventive and assured that it's always a pleasure to revisit even as I'm always taken in by its build to the ultimate operatic tragedy. Moreover Ellen Burstyn's is one of the best performances ever committed to celluloid. Her speech to Harry about the red dress never fails to bring tears to my eyes.
    And what a soundtrack!

• Nick Hansen

★★★★½ Watched by Nick Hansen 16 Jul, 2014

Darren Aronofsky's Requiem for a Dream doesn't feel like a normal cinematic experience, but like what its title suggests. It's a very heightened and dark interpretation of a scarily dreamlike experience that in truth is the stark reality of these peoples' lives. It's thematic exploration of the consequences of drug addiction is probably one of the best interpretations of drug addiction in cinema. It's not the kind of depiction of the state of addiction that embraces us to enjoy, but…

• Gex

★★★★½ Added by Gex

Depressing as shit, but difficult to stop watching once you start. If that isn't the sign of a masterful director, masterful editing, and masterful music, I don't know what is.

• Josh Karr

★★★½ Watched by Josh Karr 14 Jul, 2014 3

Fuck Addiction.

I have recently decided to revisit all of Aronofsky's films. I wanted to start with Requiem for a Dream because I remembered it the least. I thought I had seen Requiem shortly after it came out. I have memories of how disturbing I found it.

Yesterday as I watched, I quickly realized none of this was familiar. More importantly it was really good. I don't know if I was fusing Pi and Trainspotting in my head, but I…

• Gene

★★½ Added by Gene

Everyone else seems to rave about this film and I just don't get it. It just seems shallow and slick and way too clever for its good and for the good of the story. I would have liked for Aronofsky to have toned down a lot of his directorial quirks and just let the story drive the movie. It just seems like a cold and calculated exercise in audience manipulation; I had real trouble seeing any of the characters as anything but cardboard stereotypes.

• CinemaClown

★★★★★ Watched by CinemaClown 14 Jul, 2014 10

Darren Aronofsky's breakthrough feature after his strong debut with the 1998 indie, Pi, is actually an intensely grim, depressing, hard-hitting & emotionally devastating tale of drug addiction leading to delusions of a dream world which is then ultimately overtaken & destroyed by reality. Easily one of the most powerful, shocking & extremely moving films you're ever going to come across, Requiem for a Dream remains Aronofsky's finest work to date & is a difficult film to sit through for even the most hardened souls…

• alphonse

★★★★½ Rewatched by alphonse 11 Jul, 2014 8

Requiem for a Dream is Aronofsky's most effective social commentary, not because it's one of the best studies over the powerful consequences of drugs, but because it explores secondary subjects wonderfully, and it perfectly captures the behaviors of the society in general. Its study over drugs' consequences is quite unsettling and disturbing, which makes it pretty effective, but, sometimes its exploitation over the 'worst case scenario' seems a bit forced and exaggerated.

Ellen Burstyn plays the role of Sara Goldfarb,…

• Brett

★★★★ Watched by Brett 06 Jul, 2014

342/365 (365 films in 365 days)

I often hear about people not "getting" this film, so I won't try to assume I got it. I did like it though, it was intense - especially that ending. Also I could feel that arm, gave me shivers.

• Sir_Kahless

★★★★★ Added by Sir_Kahless

One of the best movies I have ever seen

• Rizki Fachriansyah

★★★★★ Watched by Rizki Fachriansyah 09 Jul, 2014

A powerful and devastating experience. Certainly one that will linger with me for quite some time.

Gathering thoughts.