• JohnTyler

★★★★★ Added by JohnTyler

Emotionally devastating, deeply affecting, and relentlessly grim, Requiem for a Dream is a brilliant film about the downward spiral associated associated with drug abuse and is overall a masterpiece of filmmaking, with phenomenal acting all-around, a breathtaking visual style, strong writing and direction from Darren Aronofsky, a haunting musical score courtesy of Clint Mansell, and fascinating characters.

• ageneral

★★★½ Watched by ageneral 18 Jul, 2015

In case you're desperate for a depressing movie with an overly dramatic score, yes.

• ShartWeek

★★★½ Added by ShartWeek

i love drug movies. extra points for heroin.

• ERafferty

★★★★½ Watched by ERafferty 13 Jul, 2015

Requiem For A Dream is a film that hits an emotionally devastating, grim look at drug addiction and here we get no happy endings but we see their ups. The film rolls along smoothly with it's hectic fast cuts of the drugs taking effect on the characters and progression of time and how it seems that everything is starting to turn a corner for them, from the trio gathering plenty of money along the way selling drugs on the street…

• mfulton

★★★★★ Added by mfulton

A

• Daniel Rodriguez

★★★★★ Watched by Daniel Rodriguez 19 Jul, 2015

Although I wasn't one of its characters, I also was in fetal position by the time the movie ended, feeling completely shattered.

I think I'm gonna show this to my students to convince them to stay out of drugs. I bet it's going to be effective as hell.

• Dustpan

★★★★ Watched by Dustpan 18 Jul, 2015

If this film doesn't make you straight edge, I don't know what will.

• Quynh Anh Hoang

★★★★★ Added by Quynh Anh Hoang

The story about those junkies is disturbing yet enthralling with astounding cinematography and fierce soundtrack. Suicidal and irreparably harrowing.

• Aaron Hammond

★★★★ Rewatched by Aaron Hammond 15 Jul, 2015

Part ridiculous, part lacerating. Beneath Aronofsky's sound and fury are kernels of honesty dealing with drug addiction; the emotional polarities; the guilt trips, the constant justifications for everything you do to chase the high. Some see an overblown scold, I see some good old-fashioned "ecstatic truth."

• lebutterschnaps

★★★★½ Added by lebutterschnaps

Hip hop montage is used abundantly, but it doesn't get old. Aronofsky's use of this technique puts the viewer beautifully well in the protagonists' shoes. It feels like the closest thing to taking the drugs itself, without actually taking the drug (not that I have ever taken drugs). The movie is cinematically beautiful; from the plot structure, cinematography, color palette, score (bravo Mansell), mise-en-scene (though, it wasn't a tough ask).

I can't find a single dent in this film; that…

• James Locke

★★★★½ Watched by James Locke 12 Jul, 2015

Film #14 of Scavenger Hunt #4 Challenge
    Task #13: A film featuring an obsession!

Many films portray a downward spiral, but few have done as well as this one to actually transport me and make me viscerally and emotionally feel the spiral. This is due in large part to the physical spinning of the camera for almost the entire movie. Combined with quick cuts and superb editing, the movie was energized by great camerawork and driven forward by a great…

• DannyGloverJr