• AdamVDM

★★★★ Added by AdamVDM

This is the film that got me into the Planet of the Apes franchise. Terrifically acted, terrifically shot, great writing, it's definitely one to check out.

• Peter Parker Harsh Jaswal

★★★½ Added by Peter Parker Harsh Jaswal

A beautiful blend of motion capture acting and special effects with a great story. This film shows the rise of the ape named "Caesar" and his humble beginnings and his tragic hardships. The film starts off with a strong opening and only goes up from there. James Franco does a solid job as the lead human actor, and brings real emotion to his role. Andy Serkis, and the other actors that portray the apes do a fantastic job, with the…

• deasnutz879

★★★★½ Watched by deasnutz879 13 Nov, 2011

Fuckin' Amazing

• phreak2day

★★★★½ Watched by phreak2day 15 Oct, 2015

Wow, I was really pleasantly surprised how interesting a subject matter of this kind was portrayed. I usually consider an "animals are taking over the world" subject matter to be overused and a "been there, done that" kind of affair, and James Franco always seems to irritate me for no apparent reason, but after 10 minutes of watching I was suddenly getting more and more interested in what will happen next and by the end of the movie I was…

• Bene

★★★★ Watched by Bene 07 Oct, 2015

Mein zweiter Planet der Affen Film, und er hat mir sehr gut gefallen. Spannende Einleitung mit schönen Handlungen. Ein sehr interessanter und fasetenreicher Film. Sehr empfehlens wert

• Michael Sweeting

★★★★ Added by Michael Sweeting

Slower than the sequel but shocked me by how good it was. Looks set to be a fantastic series.

• Steven Duerinckx

★★★½ Watched by Steven Duerinckx 14 Sep, 2015

Complete reboot of the sixties original. Shows the period in which humanity unwillingly creates smarter apes that will end human civilisation.

Slightly better than average, although certainly not bad, and still a lot better than the crappy remake Tim Burton once made.

• Dave Holmes

★★★★ Added by Dave Holmes

I adore the original Planet of the Apes film. It's just a great story, really well made. It made a very strong impression on my 12 year old self. Kinda spooky in places, but mostly exciting, enthralling, even a tad thought-provoking. The 70s sequels...not so much. Beneath is quite freaky, and just way too long. Escape quite fun, but also 70s cheesy. Conquest and Battle I barely remember, so they can't be that good. Burton's take (which I think kicked…

• Paul Moga

★★★½ Rewatched by Paul Moga 02 Oct, 2015

Dr. Will Rodman is desperately searching for a cure to his father's Alzheimer's so he develops a substance that helps the brain repair itself. During development the substance is tested on apes, which shows a dramatic rise in their intelligence. Dr. Rodman, played by James Franco, saves a baby ape named Caesar and brings him home for research. Soon Caesar has grown up and becomes part of the family, but can an ape really ever belong in a human world?…

• Joe Watson

★★½ Watched by Joe Watson 27 Sep, 2015

Script felt undeveloped and very simple, I expected much more. There was a great deal of potential to expand this familiar concept out immensely. However not a complete disgrace to the original, classic series and was a fairly enjoyable film overall.

• William Kretschmer

★★★ Rewatched by William Kretschmer 01 Oct, 2013

During experiments to find a cure for Alzheimer's disease, a genetically-enhanced chimpanzee uses its greater intelligence to lead other apes to freedom.
    Fresh and new entry to the series, standard entertainment worth a view.

On second view: still fun, and the movie manages to make you root for the apes.

• Chris