• Evelynw

★★★★½ Watched by Evelynw 11 Jul, 2014

In preparation for the latest film with apes as the main characters, I just watched the first film: “Rise of the planet of the Apes” and it was really amazing!! “Rise of the Planet of the Apes” shows the beginning of how one mutated baby ape, Ceasar, grows among men with a high intelligence. When things get a bit messy, Ceasar is taken away and from that moment Ceasar learns about his true species. Because of his high intelligence he…

• Kieron Moore

★★★★ Watched by Kieron Moore 19 Jul, 2014

Hollywood have churned out a lot of disappointing reboots in recent years, and this could easily have been one of them - after all, no-one really had high hopes for anything ape-related after what Tim Burton did to the series.

But no - this is a surprisingly deep, thoughtful take on the simian saga, jumping in at the point of the outbreak, when humanity's end is looming and lab chimp Caesar is about to become a hero for his species.…

• Steve Dickson

★★★★½ Rewatched by Steve Dickson 16 Jul, 2014

Still really like this one. Such a big surprise at the time and blew my expectations away. Great story and spectacle with several layers to it.

• Conrad Rothbaum

★★★★ Watched by Conrad Rothbaum 19 Jul, 2014

The ape stuff-- so good. The human stuff-- not so much.

• hazorx

★★★½ Added by hazorx

This review reportedly contains spoilers. I can handle the truth.

• Margaret

★★ Watched by Margaret 21 Jul, 2014

eh.

• JohnQuinn

★★★★★ Watched by JohnQuinn 18 Jul, 2014

Blu-ray: After watching (most of) the original last week, I loved seeing all the little hat tips to the original.
    Easily one of the best origin films / prequels ever made.

• Samuel Márquez Rosado

★★★★½ Watched by Samuel Márquez Rosado 18 Jul, 2014

Hacía tiempo que no me cruzaba con una película tan bien construida como esta. La propuesta inicial hacía suponer que podría haber sido un completo desastre y sin embargo todo son sorpresas.

Desde el punto de vista de la interpretación Franco y el resto de actores están muy bien en sus respectivos roles, pero sin duda la palma se la lleva el trabajo de Andy Serkis trayendo a la vida un personaje tan complejo como es César.

Por supuesto está…

• tscarp

★★★ Watched by tscarp 20 Jul, 2014

Rise of the Planet of the Apes was a nice little action romp, very heavy on creating a nice background story for the next movie. It did have it's problems but it was also an entertaining character development, for the apes at least.

The humans in the movie weren't all that interesting and in no universe would James Franco make a convincing scientific genius. But Caesar and even some of the minor apes were the most interesting characters in the…

• J. Crawford

★★★★½ Watched by J. Crawford 23 May, 2012

Very nice film that I thoroughly enjoyed.

• Mia Rose Elbo Armstrong

Watched by Mia Rose Elbo Armstrong 20 Jul, 2014

• MatthewLB

★★★★★ Watched by MatthewLB 20 Jul, 2014

When this movie was coming out back in 2011 I thought to myself "Oh great another Prequel". But this movie turned out to be freaking fantastic, The visual effect's are stunning to look at and Caesar is the biggest bad-ass ever.