• Elvira

★★★ Added by Elvira

This prequel to the original Planet Of The Apes franchise from the late sixties and seventies tells the story of how and why the apes rebelled against humankind.

Though technically well made and Andy Serkis really brings to life the emotions of Ceasar, the ringleader of the apes, this film just takes too long in really getting going to satisfy. When the action finally explodes on screen it is exhilarating enough but all too brief - the backstory, although for…

• sirEdson

★★★ Watched by sirEdson 05 Dec, 2014

Definitely a better movie than the first one and better than expected too, it's a good movie, with lot of scenes of action, fights and explosions and a little bit of drama.

• The Ron

★★★½ Rewatched by The Ron 05 Dec, 2014

Film 20 on my Re-watch Wednesday list.

I gotta admit, Rise of the Planet of the Apes was one of 2012's pleasant surprises. I wasn't expecting much out of this reboot to the classic Planet of the Apes franchise, but I ending up really enjoying it the first time I saw it. I didn't get to see the follow up, Dawn of the Planet of the Apes in theaters so I rented it and decided to re-watch the first film…

• ShadetreeDad

★★★★½ Rewatched by ShadetreeDad 05 Dec, 2014

Just watched again to prep myself for "Dawn of". This is actually much better than I remember. Moving it into my top films' list. Enjoy!

• Adam Theeye Pittman

★★★★½ Added by Adam Theeye Pittman

My film review -- This film is now at your local cinema and in a nutshell it is worth very much going into the cinema to see it. Because this film has a legacy, the other film critics and I were very much apprehensive, that being said this next generation of planet of the apes do its legendary predecessors proud. [The viewer] will feel the atmosphere of this film from the very beginning, this will assist [the viewer] to identify…

• Grooveman

★★★★½ Rewatched by Grooveman 03 Dec, 2014 2

"Apes alone weak. Apes together strong."

• Jesse

★★★★ Added by Jesse

This film doesn't monkey around.

• James Turpin

★★★½ Watched by James Turpin 29 Nov, 2014

A couple strong performances, great CGI, and some ultra-effecient story-telling help lift a very light script into a fairly compelling watch. Human characters are given nothing to do, and much more time should have been spent on the apes (especially Caesar), but in the end we do end up caring about what we see.

MY THREE WORDS
    Light-weight, swift, interesting.

• Matthew Vallée

★★★★ Rewatched by Matthew Vallée 28 Nov, 2014

Despite being an action movie, this film was not mindless and instead focused a lot on character development and had some great action scenes when the story called for it. I enjoyed that the origin story was not rushed and gave you plenty of time to learn about the background of the characters and to get attached to them before the action kicked in. The way the story was told really made you sympathize with the apes as most of…

• Gary Foster

★★★½ Rewatched by Gary Foster 30 Nov, 2014

ready for the sequel

• Chris Vallée

★★★★ Rewatched by Chris Vallée 28 Nov, 2014

A great origin story that lays excellent footings for a rebooted franchise and takes great strides to not only allow the viewer to empathize with the apes, but to see both sides of the story and feel for the misguided but heartfelt human angle as well.

• Phips

★★★½ Rewatched by Phips 28 Nov, 2014

I really hope that one day Andy Serkis gets recognized for his stellar performance capture work.