• Brendan Edwards

★★½ Watched by Brendan Edwards 09 Aug, 2015

Im a bit torn about this film. On the one side i think that the story has promising aspects but turns out a little bit bland and with to little action. On the other side it was interesting to see the development of Ceasar and the apes and the performances are fairly good just like the shots around the golden gate bridge are pretty cool.

• Carolinanz

★★★½ Added by Carolinanz

"I swear, you know everything about the human brain except the way it works."

• rmckenna19

★★★½ Added by rmckenna19

This is a wonderful reboot/prequel of a franchise that had really gone quite sour with time, and honestly I think that when this movie came out it really stuck out as the best Planet of the Apes movie released at that time. Andy Serkis provides an inspired performance as Caesar which took me from coming into the film rooting for the humans to really rooting for the apes by the end of the movie. Very deep and interesting throughout that…

• Will

★★★ Watched by Will 19 Jul, 2014

Rise of the Planet of the Apes is a reboot film that carries with it years of past cinema glory and classic status, plus some big names. Although I didn't hate this one of the franchise, I didn't think it was too great. I found it was just TOO much like the follow up to the second film and never really got into any stride or did things differently, in the end it ends up tiredly predictable. It by far…

• Junior Andrade

★★★½ Watched by Junior Andrade 27 Jul, 2015

The digital effects used here to create the apes were stunning a few years ago but now they look dated and artificial. This is compensated, though, by Andy Serkis' impressive performance as the ape Caesar, who is actually better developed than the sadly unidimensional human characters. Not great but not embarrassing either.

• Ari Niemi

★★★ Rewatched by Ari Niemi 24 Jul, 2015

I remain positively surprised by the fact that the film is more about Caesar and his evolution than the effects and action (although they work nicely too). The film is far from perfect but still extremely refreshing, intelligent and very rewatchable. The excellent Andy Serkis brings a lot of personality to the character. A fine starting point for a resurrected franchise.

• MysticSpoonAttack

★★★★ Rewatched by MysticSpoonAttack 26 Jul, 2015

This review sort of contains spoilers for the original 1968 film, but then again the mere existence of this movie is more or less one giant spoiler for the first film, so who cares?

I was actually really apprehensive of revisiting this. While I remembered really liking Rise when I saw it in the theater 4 years ago - I hadn't seen it since - and while it was in fact the film that got me very interested in this…

• Raul Marques

★★★★ Watched by Raul Marques 26 Jul, 2015

An exception. A reboot of a franchise nobody really cared for, poisoned by way too many sequels and an already awful attempt at reviving it, that ends up becoming one of today's finest franchises. The diferent take on the story works, the CGI works for the movie (not the other way around) and the action sequences work within the movie and for the financial success. It's also worth of notice how superbly directed the film is. It's not that often you see good foreshadowing and subtlelty in a blockbuster.

• filmnutreviewer

★★★★½ Added by filmnutreviewer

What got me into the Apes saga, my second favorite of the franchise

• CJSFilms

★★★★★ Added by CJSFilms

Now this is how you do a reboot! Rise of the Planet of the Apes is not only in my opinion the best in the series, but is also one of my favorite films of all time. The film actually seems more like a remake of Conquest of the Planet of the Apes, showing the apes rise up against the humans. The film follows Caesar, an ape that was exposed to a potential cure for Alzheimer's. The drug makes him…

• t2kickassjedi

★★★★★ Added by t2kickassjedi

It was a cool origin story to how the Apes rose to rule the planet, Caesar was perfectly motion captured by Andy Serkis, it had awesome action scenes and a great ending.

• Will Coffy

★★★½ Watched by Will Coffy 19 Jul, 2015

Not as great as the original, but still solid entertainment nonetheless. My big problem is that the humans aren't nearly as interesting as our main ape, Caesar. Andy Serkis is great as Caesar, Serkis seems to specialize in this kind of motion-capture acting.