• spider_borg

★★★★ Rewatched by spider_borg 20 Nov, 2014

This was my second viewing of this movie. It just solidified my initial assessment, which was that I like this movie a lot.

I wasn't too impressed with the CGI apes sometimes, but the movie was good enough that I can look past that to a certain extent.

• Charles Johnson

★★½ Rewatched by Charles Johnson 19 Nov, 2014

I liked the bit where the gorilla fought the horse, and then fought a helicopter.

I was fairly bored by the rest of the film, although what I found very interesting is how the credits sequence acts as a set up for the sequel.

Decent, but I wouldn't put it amongst the decade's top blockbusters.

• Andy Summers

★★★★½ Rewatched by Andy Summers 17 Nov, 2014 1

Remakes, or as they get described these days "re-imaginings" don't always go to plan. Tim Burton proved that back in the early part of the century with his ill-advised and often laughable attempt to bring an updated Planet Of The Apes to fruition. Let's face it, it was shit. Rupert Wyatt however had different ideas back in 2011 and aided by the advance in technology and a certain Andy Serkis, brought a whole new dimension to a film franchise most…

• Vinicius Oliveira

★★★ Rewatched by Vinicius Oliveira 14 Nov, 2014

This year (2014) I decided to review all the Planet of the Apes' movies, I said all! Because that I can talk more precisely about the story here. First, forget all the others films, specially one 2001. Who saw the 1970's movies remember those begin with a discovery of a planet where apes commands and speak; after (in the next films) we know why it happens. Now it's completely different, the story show really the begin, we follow the life…

• scotts2323

★★½ Watched by scotts2323 16 Nov, 2014

So, I don't know. I liked the original with Charlton Heston. Refused to see the Wahlberg remake and am glad I didn't.

Didn't really want to see this new franchise, cause it's just more monkeys. Heard the movies were really good so I was excited. Watched it and like I said, I don't know.

It really didn't do much for me. Just kind of felt like it was another monkey movie to me. Some good stuff in it, but it didn't do too much for me.

• petewest

★★★½ Watched by petewest 16 Nov, 2014

Smart movie, which provides a great setup for the sequel. It does well in making the viewer support Cesar and the apes, rather than the damn dirty humans.

• burk3

★★★½ Watched by burk3 13 Nov, 2014 2

Felt the familiar wonderment from when I watch movies where AI/robots gain intelligence/creativity/etc. The expected themes of human/animal rights and the struggle between scientific discovery and profit were not very well developed, probably due to the flat Pharmaceutical exec and animal prison guards. Story was meh.

• Rian Mercer

★★½ Rewatched by Rian Mercer 12 Nov, 2014

Raising this half a star on my rewatch after noticing the small tributes to the original films scattered throughout the film.

• trolleyfreak

★★½ Added by trolleyfreak

As a fan of the '60's/'70's Apes films, especially Schaffner's original which I consider to be a masterpiece, I approached this reboot (I loathe that word!) with interest - and caution.

It turned out to be exactly as I expected: engaging enough throughout its running time with some nice nods and winks to the Heston version, but thoroughly unmemorable.

I await further installments with a healthy degree of scepticism..

• Adrian Zachow

★★★★ Watched by Adrian Zachow 20 Nov, 2011

Smart reboot (or just a prequel?) to Planet Of The Apes, makes the concept of a planet eventually devoid of humans, inhabited by talking apes, perfectly credible. Kudos to the writers for thinking this up. Also, credit must go to Andy Serkis for nailing yet another digital performance, this time as Caesar, the leader of the newly intelligent apes. Good entertainment.

• Nick Nguyen

★★★½ Rewatched by Nick Nguyen 08 Nov, 2014

Still holds up on the repeat viewing, and that's a major credit to Serkis' incredible performance whose every little considered physical nuance continues to impress. Some great in-joke tributes to the original movie (gotta love that the orangutan is named Maurice) though the foregrounding of the scientific hubris discourse at the expense of that film's racial undertones is sorely missing.

• Bill Wheat

★★★★½ Added by Bill Wheat

As a huge fan of the originals, the fact this didn't anger me was a huge plus. I actually enjoyed the story changes and the respect it paid to the original films. The CGI was incredible.