• ricardotnet

★★ Watched by ricardotnet 22 Jul, 2014

I rolled my eyes several times at this, and if I would have watched the original Planet of the Apes beforehand I probably would have rolled them 10x more.

The original was great because it didn't explain itself, and the reboot does exactly that, but also misses the point entirely.

• Jordan_The_Bailiff

★★★★ Rewatched by Jordan_The_Bailiff 25 Jul, 2014

This is easily one of my favourite blockbusters of the last few years. It has exceptional use of computer generated imagery, wonderful action scenes, and a deeper character study of a chimpanzee. It really is a pleasure to watch.

The moment when Caesar speaks his first word, is one of my favourite movie moments ever.

• mellyp

★★★½ Watched by mellyp 27 Jul, 2014

Not quite what I was expecting in a good way. The film had good character development and set out an engaging back story that built up to the action. Interested to see how the sequels will progress but overall an enjoyable Hollywood blockbuster

• Alan Lai

★★★ Added by Alan Lai

Not a special offer in my film book,I am not fully connected with those dramatic and emotion sequence with the CG apes.So-so overall.

• evlkeith

★★★ Watched by evlkeith 27 Jul, 2014

I didn't realise that this was a prequel - the lowest form of filmic entertainment - when I started watching it. And I didn't know that it had James Franco in it, who I can't stand. Yet it won me round with a pretty decent story.

It's got a lot wrong with it. It is very similar in structure to a superhero origin story and that includes the tacked on action ending. The CGI starts off as completely embarrassing with…

• kyozoku

★★★½ Rewatched by kyozoku 26 Jul, 2014

• Luis Valenzuela

★★★★ Watched by Luis Valenzuela 26 Jul, 2014

Mojo Jojo´s backstory from The Powerpuff Girls, but you know... For adults!

• Ben (Film Intel)

★★★★ Rewatched by Ben (Film Intel) 27 Jul, 2014

Just goes to show what those damn dirty apes could do, gibbon half a chance.

• Mark C

★★★★ Rewatched by Mark C 26 Jul, 2014

When Rise of the Planet of the Apes came out you could almost hear the collective sighs go up across the world; at last, they said, a rebooted franchise that didn't sully the original films. It was a neat, smart prequel and great intelligent popcorn entertainment.

Even I agreed, and I'm a Luddite who has an aversion to CGI. But the work of WETA digital and the still too underrated Andy Serkis almost made a convert out of me.

This…

• Dave Jackson

★★★½ Watched by Dave Jackson 26 Jul, 2014

Despite being a fan of the original Planet of the Apes, I avoided this when it came out. It looked a little too CG for my liking. I should have listened to the positive reviews, because I thoroughly enjoyed Rise of the Planet of the Apes. The film successfully creates a sympathetic characters out of a computer generated chimpanzee — something I would have never thought possible. The CGI fell flat in certain moments, especially earlier on when Caesar is…

• Redivo

★★★★ Watched by Redivo 24 Jul, 2014

Como em outras ficções, a merda começa com o humano brincando de ser Deus.

Também, como outras ficções, tem aqueles momentos que vc fica meio "ein??? mas como assim??", mas vc releva pq o ponto não é ficar procurando explicações pro filme.

O filme é muito bem dirigido, a CG é bem realista, tanto nos movimentos, como, principalmente, expressões dos macacos, onde muito é dito sem nenhuma palavra.

Pequenas referências ao primeiro filme, de 1968, deixam o filme ainda mais divertido. Um prequal digno. Ansioso pelos próximos da franquia.

"To Ceasar what is Ceasar's."

• George Machin

★★★★½ Watched by George Machin 26 Jul, 2014

Combining perfect amounts of science fiction, medical satire, amazing special effects and human drama, Rise of the Planet of the Apes delivers in almost every way. An incredibly potent and memorable first act paves the way for an engaging and at times, brutal story that manages to deliver one surprise after another.

How this hold up against previous entries in the franchise, I cannot say as at time of writing I haven't seen any of the others. I understand that…