• joanne myers

★★★★ Added by joanne myers

This review reportedly contains spoilers. I can handle the truth.

• Hannah M

★★★★ Watched by Hannah M 04 Sep, 2014

I wasn't sure how I would feel about this one, but I really enjoyed it. The scenes with the apes are beautiful examples of telling a lot of story and developing clear characters without dialogue -- something I'm always impressed by. It manages to have a lot of good action going on without getting overwhelming or feeling tedious for me. Now I'm especially intrigued to see Dawn sometime.

How it entered my Flickchart:
    Rise of the Planet of the Apes…

• Vectorman82

★★★★ Rewatched by Vectorman82 03 Sep, 2014

It's just an amazing father-son story. That and Andy Serkis blows my mind. The man is a genius.

• Chris Sumner

★★★★ Rewatched by Chris Sumner 07 Sep, 2014

All the power of an Ape. All the charisma of a Franco.

• drpritch

★★★★ Watched by drpritch 25 Aug, 2014

More entertaining than it has any right to be. Chimpanzee revenge flick? Well, perhaps not a Tarantino revenge flick, but yes, shades of that. The vegans in your life will cheer loudly.

• Cobb

★★½ Added by Cobb

Although it has interesting points, the continued emphasis of these throughout the film, hampers their development. Seems to stretch too much in their half to reach an end that give rise to the continuation.

• Garrett Irwin

★★★½ Added by Garrett Irwin

A fresh and intriguing restart of an impressive franchise, even if the ape characters upstage the human characters. Andy Serkis is the god of motion-capture; he blends tech sophistication with real emotion in every scene he's in.

• Timothy Graham

★★★★½ Rewatched by Timothy Graham 10 Jul, 2014

Had zero expectations for this to be good after the awful Tim Burton installment. Was more than surprised by how much I loved this film. I enjoyed it so much that when the sequel was released I had to see the double feature. This was the first time I saw it on the big screen and I am so glad I got to see it the way it was meant to be seen. So good!

Caesar is home.

• Mel S

★★★★ Watched by Mel S 01 Sep, 2012

Very impressive, and actually scientifically sound! This is how you do science fiction set in the modern day: don't give a lot of detail, and ask like ONE scientist if it sounds right.

• Fredrik Sellevold

★★★★ Added by Fredrik Sellevold

From the trailers, this looked like a very cheesy ape assault film, and consequently I wasn't too keen on seing it. The surprisingly good reviews sparked my curiosity however, and I'm glad they did, for this is in fact anything but a dumb action film! It's a setup to the Planet of the Apes setting yes, but first and foremost it's a genuine character drama about the relationship between a man and a chimp, and how the best intentions can go wrong in the worst ways.

• Joe Hastings

★★★½ Added by Joe Hastings

The first trailer I saw made me doubt this film's supposed greatness. James Franco's turn as a scientist wasn't very believable, but I'm not exactly a big fan of his anyway. Acting was watchable at best with CGI Andy Serkis stealing the whole show from the cheesy humans. I never cared about any of the humans with the exception of John Lithgow's character who was someone I immediately sympathized with.Was I not supposed to feel anything when humans get knocked…

• Joe Belton

★★★★½ Watched by Joe Belton 28 Aug, 2014

With the recent release of the sequel to this film, I decided to watch this and I can't believe I didn't watch this when it came out.

Andy Serkis puts in a stunning performance as Caesar but it is unfortunate that I can't say the same about James Franco who was balancing on the line between average and fairly decent.

I have never been a huge Planet of the apes fan and I have only seen the original and the…