• Blake Garnsey

★★★★ Watched by Blake Garnsey 19 Jul, 2014

"Rise, Caesar..."

Didn't expect to enjoy this one so much. I was genuinely on the edge of my seat the whole time. Having little no to no prior knowledge of the "Apes" universe before watching this, I was surprised at how engaging the story was in its execution; the way it unfolded was so gripping and interesting to me, in a way I can't really describe haha. Caesar's rise to power is an emotionally turbulent one, filled with a balanced…

• Shaun

★★★½ Added by Shaun

Don't get me wrong, it's a good movie (much better than Tim Burton's disastrous 2003 "Planet of the Apes") but it's not without faults. The characters play second to the apes so we don't really care what happens to them. Visually the film is spectacularly done and Andy Serkis delivers a fantastic performance, so full of emotion and genuine feeling. But I couldn't help but feel that "Rise of the Planet of the Apes" only a minor entry into the series.

• pomade

★★★★ Watched by pomade 19 Jul, 2014

cool action special fx movie!

• Hayden Rogers

★★★★ Rewatched by Hayden Rogers 19 Jul, 2014

Classy prequel.

• Lars Sieval

★★★★ Rewatched by Lars Sieval 24 Jul, 2014

I've rewatched this one in preperation for Dawn of the Planet of the Apes which I will see in a few hours. The most amazing thing about this film is still Ceasar. I love Ceasar, he looks good and Andy Serkis did an amazing job! James Franco is at his usual level and does his job but the great thing about this one is the apes.

This rewatch got me even more excited for Dawn! YES!

• Polo

★★★★ Rewatched by Polo 23 Jul, 2014

Reboot de la franchise planète des singes.

Très intelligent (nombreux petits clin d'œil, scénario, plan de vue, timelapse, scènes qui fonctionnent bien, ...), le scénario est bien écrit et on se prend au jeu : on encourage César à la place des humains.

James Franco et Trinity sont excellents, la doctoresse est super biche et les effets spéciaux sont bluffants. Bref, un bon moment de détente !

• Erix Antoine

★★★★ Rewatched by Erix Antoine 23 Jul, 2014

So when they finally set about really reinventing this franchise, as opposed to just remaking it, they got it right.

There are many joys in this film, which far outweigh the occasional lapses into silliness or "fan service." The motion capture animation is just stunning, terrific effects and stunt work towards the end.

And none of it would really matter, were it not for a refreshingly grounded storyline that puts genuine emotion ahead of any razzle dazzle.

Which is not…

• dartagnan

★★★½ Watched by dartagnan 23 Jul, 2014

Every excellent prison break movie ever meets Congo, with guest star San Francisco. Thoroughly enjoyed this film, especially the bit on the Golden Gate bridge. And the set up to the ending...just great.

Also features Draco Malfoy being a douche (contain your astonishment) and providing a pleasing link back to the original film.

• Kevin Wight

★★★½ Watched by Kevin Wight 21 Jul, 2014

There is an argument to be made that this prequel ruins the mystery and charm of the classic original in the same way that I accused Oz The Great and Powerful of doing. Yet whereas I believe that film is truly demeaning to the original, Rise of the Planet of the Apes is a pretty fine work.

For a blockbuster it comes across as a restrained character study that uses some very decent CGI and reliably sterling motion capture work…

• Aren Bergstrom

★★ Rewatched by Aren Bergstrom 17 Jul, 2014

My problems with RISE OF THE PLANET OF THE APES don’t have to do with its CGI craftsmanship or the way it characterizes the apes. I’m still fond of the orangutan Maurice, with his jowly cheeks and gentle eyes. I understand the appeal of immense computer resources being put to work animating an ape stealing cookies from a cookie jar or enjoying the freedom of the California redwoods instead of depicting a metropolitan centre being decimated. Sadly the entire film…

• jack_nance

★★★★ Rewatched by jack_nance 22 Jul, 2014

Just having a quick peek at it before seeing the sequel. Except for the genetic pseudo-science and the almost-but-not-quite corporate villain in David Oyelowo (oh, and Freida Pinto's character who was pretty much just someone for James Franco to talk to after Caesar's departure), it's still a pretty solid, and surprisingly soulful, actioner.

It was nice to see the little easter eggs that set up not just the current but the following sequel (the TV news report announcing “Icarus Entering Mars Atmosphere” and a few scenes later, a newspaper reporting that the same vessel was “Lost in Space")... we shall see.

• CigarsOnMars

★★★½ Watched by CigarsOnMars 22 Jul, 2014

Rise of the Planet of the Apes var, trods den skæve titel, en meget vellykket film. Historien er en prequel til Abernes Planet-filmene, og handler om oprindelsen på abernes intelligens.

Hovedpersonen i denne film er aben Cæsar, og det er også denne karakter der bær filmen. Den bliver spillet fantastisk af Andy Serkis, og meget følsomt. Cæsar er sådan en markant karakter at de andre skuespillere ryger en anelse i bagrunden, specielt James Franco virker ret anonym i sin, ellers…