• RedDirect

★★★½ Watched by RedDirect 19 Dec, 2014

In which Draco Malfoy pushes a monkey too far and causes the end of humanity as we know it.

Heads up: This is the first Planet of the Apes film I have seen.

The best part of this film is the realization of these apes. Thanks to some cutting edge computer work and motion capture performances turned in by Andy Serkis, the beasts look really terrific. Caesar looks really great, and I also really love how authentic the orangutans look.…

• Joel Lake

★★★★ Rewatched by Joel Lake 18 Dec, 2014

A movie with a great origin story to be told, great action with a final battle scene on the Golden Gate Bridge being most memorable and a great motion capture performance by Andy Serkis as Cesar. James Franco and Frieda Pinto give great performances as well with the chemistry Franco and Serkis have in the film bringing a lot of the heart and soul to the story.
    The ending feels a little lackluster, but seeing this with Dawn helps to see how the ending serves the franchise as a whole.
    8/10
    My Take: Strong reenergizing of an old franchise with a great motion capture performance.

• maya-noëlle

★★★ Watched by maya-noëlle 17 Dec, 2014

satisfying, incredibly predictable (i guessed literally everything that was going to happen 30 minutes in), but endearing and entertaining.

i wouldn't give it a high rating because it's a largely forgettable, summer-blockbuster kind of film, and the sides (ape versus man) are so black-and-white that there's not much room for debate, but it does really well delivering emotion and intensity to the audience. can't wait to see what kind of apocalyptic pandemic hellscape the sequel brings.

• Alexander Offord

Watched by Alexander Offord 08 Nov, 2014

I loved the "Dawn of the Planet of the Apes." It felt campy in the way that the originals were.

"Rise of the Planet of the Apes" is a movie so bad it doesn't even have charm. Mostly this is the fault of the script - the human characters are so fucking generic and boring (yes, including Gary Oldman) one wonders why they're in the film at all. Moreover, Ceasar is basically a static character - why make him a…

• cwcarruth23

★★★½ Watched by cwcarruth23 13 Dec, 2014

Wasn't a bad movie but a lot of what gradually went on was surprisingly predictable to me in what was going to happen next. Even though the whole "prison break" from the zoo is impossible it was pretty enjoyable yo watch. The last 25 minutes was solid which formed a suspenseful and heart-tugging ending.

• Gavin Bard

★★★½ Added by Gavin Bard

"Some things aren't meant to be changed."

James Franco Ruins Everything: The Movie. Caesar is such an awesome and sympathetic character (oh god the whole animal sanctuary and being caged for the first time thing is some heartrending shit) and there are so many really good call backs to the original that the occasionally iffy CGI and dull human parts don't weigh things down as heavily as they normally do in situations like this. The most important thing is that the movie nails the traditional Planet of the Apes "ah shit" ending.

• joelhwa

★★★½ Watched by joelhwa 14 Jan, 2012

7/10: Powerful, thought-provoking, with great prequel origins story to the original Planet of the Apes (1968), brilliant camerawork, and amazing CGI makes this film one of the best in 2011.

• CoolStarBro

★★★★★ Rewatched by CoolStarBro 05 Dec, 2014

I remember watching this around when it first came out and I remember bashing it the whole time but man the second time I watched it, and I've only seen it twice, this movie is definitely in my top 100 for sure and possibly top 10.

• pearlcaddy

★★★★★ Watched by pearlcaddy 08 Oct, 2014

This review reportedly contains spoilers. I can handle the truth.

• Julian

★★★ Added by Julian

I liked the beginning when's they are showing the life at home and the scene, when he talks.

But the story is not that great like in the originals.

• Chloe

★★★★ Added by Chloe

This review reportedly contains spoilers. I can handle the truth.

• Spencer Vale

★★½ Watched by Spencer Vale 05 Dec, 2014

A trailer for the next film