• Starsk

★★★½ Watched by Starsk 29 Jan, 2015

Apetastic monkey madness.

• Joe-Ellen Andrews

★★★★ Watched by Joe-Ellen Andrews 27 Jan, 2015

Radical politics delivered via the medium of a popular sci-fi monkey movie? I wholeheartedly approve. I've not seen the sequel yet, but I hope they form an anarcho-communist collective in the woods.

What lets it down is the human element, and by that I mean James Franco, who has the emotional range of a brick that sometimes smiles a bit.

• sbmcdonald34

Added by sbmcdonald34

This entire movie was like one drawn-out beginning to a good movie. I kept waiting for something to happen. Even the title is ridiculously long and boring.

• Luke McGowan

★★★½ Added by Luke McGowan

A well-crafted, visually impressive prequel that, most importantly, respects and fits seamlessly alongside the original films.

• Gideon

★★★★½ Watched by Gideon 20 Jan, 2015

Surprising great. Andy Serkis does things with motion capture most actors can't in their own bodies.

• JulieC

★★★★ Rewatched by JulieC 22 Jan, 2015

Charles Rodman: Oh, he's a smart one, isn't he?

Academy Awards, 2012
    Nominated
    -Best Achievement in Visual Effects

• Dan

★★★★ Rewatched by Dan 22 Jan, 2015

Caroline Aranha: I love chimpanzees. I'm also afraid of them. And it's appropriate to be afraid of them.

Oscar Nominated 2012
    -Best Achievement in Visual Effects

• Tim Lawrence

★★★½ Added by Tim Lawrence

A notably above-average blockbuster origin story reboot, but the deft emotional tact of the first two acts is lost in a third act that's not only disappointingly action-heavy but also unsettlingly dehumanizing in its implications.

• Noah Janssen

★★★★ Watched by Noah Janssen 23 Jan, 2015

As with my last review, I watched this in the least optimal viewing experience possible; on an airplane, meaning reduced image, bad sound and worst of all, highly edited (or in this case butchered) to remove any content too 'graphic', including every single death or injury. So this review may not cover every spectrum of what makes the film great, but I'm pretty sure that the general jist of the review would still be it's an above average popcorn flick;…

• pklvs

★★★★ Added by pklvs

Pretty smart for a movie about CGI monkeys. Very enjoyable for what it is.

• Ben Garnhum

★★★½ Added by Ben Garnhum

Neat, grand, emotional, apes.

• Alexander Heff

★★★½ Added by Alexander Heff

A substance, designed to help the brain repair itself, gives rise to a super-intelligent chimp who leads an ape uprising.

I wasn't expecting much here but found myself pleasantly surprised.

I really enjoyed the first act, the second act was good but the action sequence in the third act really seemed to drag. Caesar is a well developed character and this is why movie works so well.

As far a modern blockbusters go it isn't half bad.