• Junior Andrade

★★★½ Watched by Junior Andrade 27 Jul, 2015

The digital effects used here to create the apes were stunning a few years ago but now they look dated and artificial. This is compensated, though, by Andy Serkis' impressive performance as the ape Caesar, who is actually better developed than the sadly unidimensional human characters. Not great but not embarrassing either.

• Ari Niemi

★★★½ Rewatched by Ari Niemi 24 Jul, 2015

I remain positively surprised by the fact that the film is more about Caesar and his evolution than the effects and action (although they work nicely too). The film is far from perfect but still extremely refreshing, intelligent and very rewatchable. The excellent Andy Serkis brings a lot of personality to the character. A fine starting point for a resurrected franchise.

• MysticSpoonAttack

★★★★ Rewatched by MysticSpoonAttack 26 Jul, 2015

This review sort of contains spoilers for the original 1968 film, but then again the mere existence of this movie is more or less one giant spoiler for the first film, so who cares?

I was actually really apprehensive of revisiting this. While I remembered really liking Rise when I saw it in the theater 4 years ago - I hadn't seen it since - and while it was in fact the film that got me very interested in this…

• Raul Marques

★★★★ Watched by Raul Marques 26 Jul, 2015

An exception. A reboot of a franchise nobody really cared for, poisoned by way too many sequels and an already awful attempt at reviving it, that ends up becoming one of today's finest franchises. The diferent take on the story works, the CGI works for the movie (not the other way around) and the action sequences work within the movie and for the financial success. It's also worth of notice how superbly directed the film is. It's not that often you see good foreshadowing and subtlelty in a blockbuster.

• filmnutreviewer

★★★★½ Added by filmnutreviewer

What got me into the Apes saga, my second favorite of the franchise

• CJSFilms

★★★★★ Added by CJSFilms

Now this is how you do a reboot! Rise of the Planet of the Apes is not only in my opinion the best in the series, but is also one of my favorite films of all time. The film actually seems more like a remake of Conquest of the Planet of the Apes, showing the apes rise up against the humans. The film follows Caesar, an ape that was exposed to a potential cure for Alzheimer's. The drug makes him…

• t2kickassjedi

★★★★★ Added by t2kickassjedi

It was a cool origin story to how the Apes rose to rule the planet, Caesar was perfectly motion captured by Andy Serkis, it had awesome action scenes and a great ending.

• Will Coffy

★★★½ Watched by Will Coffy 19 Jul, 2015

Not as great as the original, but still solid entertainment nonetheless. My big problem is that the humans aren't nearly as interesting as our main ape, Caesar. Andy Serkis is great as Caesar, Serkis seems to specialize in this kind of motion-capture acting.

• Brian J. "Tyrannorabbit" Wright

★★★½ Rewatched by Brian J. "Tyrannorabbit" Wright 19 Jul, 2015

Well this was a rare one - a big-budget, effects-heavy blockbuster that for the most part didn't have spectacle on its mind, and balances most of its exciting bits on character moments. And for that matter, asked us to invest most of our sympathies in a CGI chimp. And it was a big hit, big enough to get a more epic-scale sequel.

It starts out being mostly about (thinly-sketched) humans, and like it might have something to say about animal…

• mfulton

★★ Added by mfulton

C

• Wade Ford

★★★★★ Added by Wade Ford

Where to start with this movie Andy Serkis is brilliant in this movie he captures the actions and sounds a ape would make and makes you feel for this character and you can feel the bond between Caesar and Will. James Franco gives a brilliant performance and so does Tom Felton. John Lithgow is heart breaking in this movie. The story is a very good, the plot is compelling and the original Planet Of The Apes movies in canon. I recommend this movie too anyone who wants a good movie with heart

• ericf129