• svenjayne

★★★½ Rewatched by svenjayne 27 Jul, 2014

First time watching since my viewing of the sequel, "Dawn". Looking back, I was surprised to see how much of the first film the apes carry. While I consider myself a fan of James Franco, he's not at his best here, and David Oyelowo and Brian Cox are basically par "bad guys".
    Like Dawn, Rise begins and ends with Andy Serkis' Caesar. Rise shows what combining multiple art forms can do.
    Rise of the Planet of the Apes was a…

• iceberrie

★★★½ Rewatched by iceberrie 19 Jul, 2014

It’s been quite a while since I saw this film. Still, I had this warm, pleasant memory left in my mind. As of my recent visit to the sequel, I desperately wanted to see it again. It’s as good as I remembered! Although the CGs look fake in a few places (I didn’t notice them back then… but my trained eye since, picked them up instantly. Too bad) it has just right amount of sweetness and charm.

• Blake Howard
  • ricardotnet

★★ Watched by ricardotnet 22 Jul, 2014

I rolled my eyes several times at this, and if I would have watched the original Planet of the Apes beforehand I probably would have rolled them 10x more.

The original was great because it didn't explain itself, and the reboot does exactly that, but also misses the point entirely.

• Jordan_The_Bailiff

★★★★ Rewatched by Jordan_The_Bailiff 25 Jul, 2014

This is easily one of my favourite blockbusters of the last few years. It has exceptional use of computer generated imagery, wonderful action scenes, and a deeper character study of a chimpanzee. It really is a pleasure to watch.

The moment when Caesar speaks his first word, is one of my favourite movie moments ever.

• mellyp

★★★½ Watched by mellyp 27 Jul, 2014

Not quite what I was expecting in a good way. The film had good character development and set out an engaging back story that built up to the action. Interested to see how the sequels will progress but overall an enjoyable Hollywood blockbuster

• Alan Lai

★★★ Added by Alan Lai

Not a special offer in my film book,I am not fully connected with those dramatic and emotion sequence with the CG apes.So-so overall.

• evlkeith

★★★ Watched by evlkeith 27 Jul, 2014

I didn't realise that this was a prequel - the lowest form of filmic entertainment - when I started watching it. And I didn't know that it had James Franco in it, who I can't stand. Yet it won me round with a pretty decent story.

It's got a lot wrong with it. It is very similar in structure to a superhero origin story and that includes the tacked on action ending. The CGI starts off as completely embarrassing with…

• kyozoku

★★★½ Rewatched by kyozoku 26 Jul, 2014

• Luis Valenzuela

★★★★ Watched by Luis Valenzuela 26 Jul, 2014

Mojo Jojo´s backstory from The Powerpuff Girls, but you know... For adults!

• Ben (Film Intel)

★★★★ Rewatched by Ben (Film Intel) 27 Jul, 2014

Just goes to show what those damn dirty apes could do, gibbon half a chance.

• Mark C

★★★★ Rewatched by Mark C 26 Jul, 2014

When Rise of the Planet of the Apes came out you could almost hear the collective sighs go up across the world; at last, they said, a rebooted franchise that didn't sully the original films. It was a neat, smart prequel and great intelligent popcorn entertainment.

Even I agreed, and I'm a Luddite who has an aversion to CGI. But the work of WETA digital and the still too underrated Andy Serkis almost made a convert out of me.

This…