• Pedro Cinemaxunga

Watched by IfWeMadeIt 03 Oct, 2014

Episode 151

• Rob Samuelson

★★★★½ Watched by Rob Samuelson 01 Oct, 2014

This is the first sequel to capture the spirit of the original from end to end. Rocky gives advice, never stops talking, remains a lovable dimwit, HAS TURTLES, and shows his heart to the very end by standing up through the final fight.

But there's more to it than that. There's a love story without any romantic love. Rocky's relationship with his son receives a nuanced approach (no more, "He took my room!" histrionics, naked drawings of French teachers, and…

• Chris Williams

★★★★ Rewatched by Chris Williams 28 Sep, 2014

A scrappy sequel, but it works wonderfully. Like the best of the Rocky movies, it returns to a character focus and existential crisis -- the question of whether our actions did any good and whether we've still got it. Stallone's winning, and the final fight is rousing. The "that's how winning is done" speech may be my favorite moment in the franchise.

• Cody MacDougall

★★★★½ Rewatched by Cody MacDougall 21 Sep, 2014

This movie still wrecks me. When Burt Young is like "You treated her good. I treated her bad". Damn. How do you recover from a line like that? But yeah, end of the line. And you know what? I only dislike one of these movies. That's damn impressive. I've come out of this little marathon gaining SO much more respect for this series. You really gotta hand it to Sly for catching lightning in a bottle so many times. OMG Tony Burton's speech before the montage is a treasure.

Bring on CREED!

• Thom D.J.

★★★★½ Rewatched by Thom D.J. 21 Sep, 2014 2

"Rocky Balboa" has a rare quality. Not only is it a well written, well directed, and well executed film in general, but it also manages to end up as one of the best in its franchise. 30 years after the first one!
    What Sylvester Stallone has done with his beloved Rocky character in this film, is giving him the humanity, the emotions, the depth and respect he deserves. Rocky has some pretty heavy baggage. He is clearly troubled with his…

• matt lynch

★★★½ Watched by matt lynch 06 Sep, 2014

vanity has always been a big component of Stallone's franchise work, but Rocky, for better or worse, was always his most idealized look at himself, who he most wanted to be. sometimes it's the prideful fighter, other times it's an icon of American exceptionalism. here it's just the kind, humble, strong man. this isn't as fascinatingly politically freighted as the first film but it does have ROCKY's magnanimity and occasional introspection.

• AndyDufresne

Added by AndyDufresne

Someone check Stallone for brain damage.

• Nathan West

★★★★½ Watched by Nathan West 06 Sep, 2014

This is the second best Rocky movie and easily Stallone's best film as a director. Powerful and great stuff. Cliché quote: it's a knockout.

• Roberts

★★★★ Rewatched by Roberts 22 Aug, 2014

Great way to put an end to this wonderful saga. I wish Stallone didn't superimpose Adrian on that staircase, but I guess Rocky was never about subtlety. And I don't necessary mean it as a bad thing.

• Stribit

★★★ Watched by Stribit 06 Sep, 2014

... it is about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward.