• tobe_whooper

★★★ Watched by tobe_whooper 25 May, 2015

The problem I have with most monster movies of this era: when the monster is offscreen (which is usually the bulk of the film) it's just a bunch of interchangeable dudes in suits talking to each other. This one gets points for splendid miniature work and scenes of destruction.

Cf. The Flying Claw

• AltairIV

★★★ Added by AltairIV

Honda again directs another effective "giant monster" film with a rather emotional and sad ending. Constrained as usual by Toho's small budget pictures Honda still delivers smashed cities, military mayhem, and a grand finale with a volcano, a missile assault and two lovers who can't be seperated,even by death.

• Wooderson

★★★ Watched by Wooderson 07 May, 2015

Rodan is decent, it's short and sweet. I was never a big fan of the character but Honda makes it work. For a movie from the 50s its surprisingly terrifying. The first half hour is mad creepy.

• Ernst_Bitterman

★★★½ Watched by Ernst_Bitterman 08 Aug, 1997

I haven't managed to find a subtitled version of this film yet, so I have to accept the word of others that it doesn't stray to far from the source in the dubbed version. It's loads of fun, as most of these things were when Tsubaraya was running the effects, and the strange veering into sympathy for the giant monsters gives it some freshness.

• Michael Bihari

★★½ Watched by Michael Bihari 25 Apr, 2015

Rodan and his mate should have stayed in their cave!

• Jimmy Jones

★★½ Added by Jimmy Jones

Rodan is a flying thingamabob, neither bird nor lizard, neither bat nor toad, neither caterpillar nor butterfly... he's just a monster, and he's out to terrorize Japan thanks to a bunch of greedy miners who dug too deep. Definitely not as frightening as a Balrog, but maybe in the 50s they thought he was.

This automatically draws comparisons to Godzilla, but here's the main reason why it doesn't compare: the characterizations. Godzilla himself wasn't perfectly characterized or well-developed in the…

• Nathan West

★★ Watched by Nathan West 19 Apr, 2015

As far as giant monsters go, Rodan is kind of a bitch.

• An Angry Bear

★★★★ Watched by An Angry Bear 30 Mar, 2015

I'm pretty sure in the whole huge franchise of Godzilla and his subsequent monsters, those giant caterpillars never come back. And that's a huge bummer.

• whitsbrain

★★★½ Rewatched by whitsbrain 15 Feb, 2015

I enjoyed watching this again. I'd forgotten that Rodan hatching from the egg was such a great scene. The way that the camera zooms into the terrified face of Shigeru as he witnesses the hatching is wonderful.

I've never seen the Japanese original. I'll have to buy the Classic Media DVD to see it. But the American dub isn't bad, except that Paul Frees does the voice over on half the characters. Not that anything is wrong with Paul Frees.…

• Henry

★★★ Watched by Henry 13 Jan, 2015

My friend made a list of films that I should watch.
    letterboxd.com/mjlavender/list/forcing-fosdike/

I made a list of films that he should watch.
    letterboxd.com/foz90/list/educating-lavender/

Haven't done one of these in a while so why not get the super short one out the way? This is your fairly typical fifties Japanese monster movie, not that I think I've ever seen one until now. Essentially, some miners discover weird huge prehistoric larvae are killing off a few of the team. One of them…

• Karen Morris - Kola

★★★★ Added by Karen Morris - Kola

Rodan, the flying prehistoric monster, is born in a coal mine. Much destruction and a sad ending. Gotta love Kaiju movies.

• Roebucan

★★★★½ Watched by Roebucan 16 Dec, 2014

This was a very intriguing and thrilling Kaiju film. The way they layer the monsters in this film is a great touch. You start out with a smaller human sized monster until it's revealed to be merely the food of RODAN the mighty bird. Minatures hold up, the characters are great, and the ending had me legitmately upset.