• Henry

★★★ Watched by Henry 13 Jan, 2015

My friend made a list of films that I should watch.
    letterboxd.com/mjlavender/list/forcing-fosdike/

I made a list of films that he should watch.
    letterboxd.com/foz90/list/educating-lavender/

Haven't done one of these in a while so why not get the super short one out the way? This is your fairly typical fifties Japanese monster movie, not that I think I've ever seen one until now. Essentially, some miners discover weird huge prehistoric larvae are killing off a few of the team. One of them…

• Karen Morris - Kola

★★★★ Added by Karen Morris - Kola

Rodan, the flying prehistoric monster, is born in a coal mine. Much destruction and a sad ending. Gotta love Kaiju movies.

• Roebucan

★★★★½ Watched by Roebucan 16 Dec, 2014

This was a very intriguing and thrilling Kaiju film. The way they layer the monsters in this film is a great touch. You start out with a smaller human sized monster until it's revealed to be merely the food of RODAN the mighty bird. Minatures hold up, the characters are great, and the ending had me legitmately upset.

• Sc8lo

★★★ Watched by Sc8lo 13 Jun, 2011

One of the better Kaiju movies that does not have the big lad.

• Lars Sieval

★★★½ Watched by Lars Sieval 23 Nov, 2014

Rodan, one of the classic Toho monsters. It was about time for me to watch this classic Monster make his debut. This one is directed by Ishirõ Honda, the guy who also made the original Godzilla and he does a great job. The start of the movie is slow, with dragon insects attacking mineworkers. One guy has seen Rodan while the mine collapsed but he has Amnesia and can't remember a thing. The build up to Rodan's reveal is slow…

• Richard Doyle

★★★★ Watched by Richard Doyle 26 Oct, 2014

Really like two films stitched together. I found the early part of the film that focused on the mining town and the giant bugs to be marginally more entertaining that the second part that features rampaging pteradons, but then the incredible pathos-drenched ending won me over, so it all equals out in the end. Poor Rodan always seems overlooked compared to Mothra and Godzilla ... check his movie out. He needs some love.

• Mark Ciemcioch

★★★ Watched by Mark Ciemcioch 16 Oct, 2014

While a stand-alone introduction for the title character, Rodan would eventually become a recurring member of the Godzilla family, and it's not hard to see why. In addition to featuring a giant monster, "Rodan" leans heavily on the World War II metaphor, this time by terrifying Japanese villages and cities with death from above.

As people today complain about superhero and franchise movie fatigue, I wonder if audiences in the 50s grew tired of the giant monsters of the atomic…

• Matt Lavender

★★★★ Watched by Matt Lavender 26 Sep, 2014 2

Opens like an atom bomb documentary for some reason. Then there's some Japanese mining town that's got the heebie jeebies. Loads of narration at the start, like a camp fire story. It's good build up, they find a dead guy down in the mines, this guy died after seeing some horrible shit. It's a pretty great opening, lots of tension building. Feels like a haunted mine movie rather than a Rodan movie.
    The first monster that shows up is some…

• Lacy McKay

★★½ Watched by Lacy McKay 10 Sep, 2014

Boring.

• The Invisible Man

★★★ Rewatched by The Invisible Man 07 Sep, 2014

More Toho monster candy goodness.

• Jesse

★★★★½ Added by Jesse

One of my favorite Ishirō Honda movies, an excellent Toho film and one of the best monster movies of the Showa era. The production value is a huge step up from the original Gojira just a few years earlier.

• CineFreakDude

★★★½ Watched by CineFreakDude 07 Jul, 2014

Rodan doesn't show up for awhile, but there are some other cool monsters in the first half, and the last twenty minutes is awesome. Great ending too.