• Chevalier

★★½ Added by Chevalier

Starts as a sort of suspense thriller, before switching gears into kaiju mayhem. The final act is a bit anti-climatic, good ol' Rodan could use a good reboot these days.

• Nudeviking

★★★ Watched by Nudeviking 27 Mar, 2014

This review reportedly contains spoilers. I can handle the truth.

• Joe Cool

★★★ Watched by Joe Cool 12 Mar, 2014

I don't really care about the people in these movies. I just want to see big monsters smash everything to pieces and while the destruction happens eventually and the action scenes are pretty cool, it takes way too long to get there.

• Joachim Andersson

★★★½ Rewatched by Joachim Andersson 02 Feb, 2014

Classic kaiju with a good plot and a quite sad ending.

• Gibnerd

★★★★ Watched by Gibnerd 22 Jan, 2014

while watching Rodan again something very obvious became clear to me. the miniature city effects in these movies are absolutely incredible. the detail that went in to making these little metropolises is so good and so meticulous it blew my mind. and Rodan the monster is a hero for the ages. classy classic.

• anne_f_

★★★ Watched by anne_f_ 17 Dec, 2013

Terrifying giant monsters in Japan, accompanied by dreadful dubbing into English (English spoken with such strong Japanese accents I wasn't sure if they were making fun of the Western idea of a Japanese accent. Oh well, it's my fault for not looking harder for a subtitled version of the film.

• NinjaDomoEsq

★½ Watched by NinjaDomoEsq 15 Dec, 2013

It doesn't have Godzilla in it! I suppose me assuming that it would have Godzilla in it is my own fault though. Pretty standard fair. It's kind of neat that this sets up for the monster's return in later Godzilla films, but the flying aspect of the creatures kind of limits some of the possibilities of the film. As a result we see a lot of plane shots which are meant to look like the flying monsters. Lastly, it is nice to see mild lessons about messing with nature and the result.

• Rick Bman

★★★½ Watched by Rick Bman 30 Nov, 2013

Part of my promise to myself to watch the original Japanese cuts (without English dubbing) of more Kaiju films. Rodan is no Godzilla but the movie was still a lot of fun. The way Rodan uses his supersonic speed and gigantic size as a weapon is pretty clever.

I had originally planned to only work my way through the Godzilla films but Rodan is an important enough film that it deserved a watch. Some of the scenes of destruction in…

• Stephen

★★★ Watched by Stephen 15 Oct, 2013

The Kaiju series moves into colour, and introduces a new threat in the form of giant killer bugs and giant-er prehistoric pteranodon.

Starting very low-key, almost as a whodunnit, the drama focuses on workers at a mine near Mount Aso. Their excavations disturb something buried for millennia, and several mine workers are attacked and killed mysteriously. Foul play is suspected, until the culprit reveals itself as a huge bug with razor-sharp claws. This is a little bit of bait-and-switch though,…

• Ronan Doyle

★★½ Watched by Ronan Doyle 04 Sep, 2013

Review from my VOD column "This Week on Demand"

With Pacific Rim resurrecting mainstream interest—or at least attempting to do so—in giant Japanese monsters, and Gareth Edwards’ Godzilla reboot coming ever closer, it’s nice to see Kaiju pioneer Ishirô Honda garnering some Netflix recognition. Rodan is one of many of the maestro’s movies welcomed on demand this week—many of Godzilla’s earliest adventures against Mothra and the likes are also included—though both it and the original Gojira are presented in a…

• Christina

★★★ Rewatched by Christina 27 Aug, 2013

You can't have enough giant monsters and giant monster movies! "Rodan" follows the monster success of "Gojira" and has similar tone and theme of atomic radiation impacting nature, although here it is speculated that nuclear testing unearthed eggs of prehistoric Pteranodon.
    The movie has a nice opening as the eggs are discovered by miners and as the movie progresses we learn that the hatchlings fed on the Meganulon, ancient bugs we will see in a later movie, that had been…

• LaowaiLoser

★★★ Watched by LaowaiLoser 22 Aug, 2013

The movie starts out exciting but even with a short running time (72 minutes) it manages to drag on a bit in the middle. The final battles make up for it, though. The movie hits all the same beats as the original Godzilla picture but not as effectively. However, this is a much better movie than Godzilla on a technical level. The special effects are good for the time and the destruction is very satisfying to watch, though the amount of explosions at the end gets to be a bit much.