• Todd Sullivan

★★★½ Watched by Todd Sullivan 18 Oct, 2014

An interesting look into the kind of rabid, fanatical, analysis that Stanley Kubrick's film The Shining has inspired over the years. Is it a movie about the holocaust? Or about the white man's destruction of American natives? Is it Kubrick's attempt to confess his part in faking the footage of the moon landing? Or is it maybe just a horror film adapted from a Stephen King novel?

Well, yeah, it's probably just the latter, but that doesn't mean it's not fun to listen to some of the increasingly batshit theories presented here.

Does Barry Lyndon get the scrutiny? Somehow I doubt it.

• Breanna Justice

★★★½ Watched by Breanna Justice 01 Apr, 2013

I snuck an ice cream into this movie and my boyfriend had to sneak in to ask me for his house keys. Overall a great movie, I recommend.

• luis reséndiz

★★½ Watched by luis reséndiz 16 Oct, 2014 1

una apasionada defensa a la vez que una sonora denostación de la sobreinterpretación.

• BobTheKiller

★★ Watched by BobTheKiller 15 Oct, 2014

I love 'The Shining', and I'm pretty lenient on anything related to 'The Shining', since I love the film/book so much.

This is utter crap. This is a movie about some randos seeing what they want to see, convincing themselves that there is some evidence in their grand "Kubrickian/Shining" theory. This is sensationalist and conspiracy-driven, the ultimate glass of truther warm milk.

Beyond that obvious flaw, this documentary is so poorly organized that each theory flies at you seemingly from nowhere, completely unrelated from the last point that was said.

A real disappointment.

• Carlos

★★★★½ Added by Carlos

• JJ

★★★ Watched by JJ 14 Oct, 2014

It was interesting and entertaining to see what kind of symbolism all of these different people can see in the The Shining and to me it wasn't really a boring documentary to watch.
    But at the same time it was also a lot of just speculating, conspiracy theories and seeing what you want to be seeing, a lot of it is very very farfetched.
    I think the documentary tells us more about the people being interviewed than it tells us about The Shining and Stanley Kubrick himself.

• Brent May

★★★ Watched by Brent May 13 Oct, 2014

Meh, I had a hard time getting through it. I found some of the items very interesting, but most of it is just silly conjecture.

In the end, it's like anything else in life. It's easy to build a case for something you want to believe if you look hard enough.

• Jonathan

½ Watched by Jonathan 22 May, 2014

A fucking pile of tripe movie. I loved the Shining, so naturally, when I heard that there would be a documentary looking to unearth elements in it, I was game to watch it.

What a huge mistake.

Room 237 essentially is nothing more than 3 ridiculous hypotheses that are so outlandish and unpractical, it defies belief. The weird thing is that people actually agree with some of the stuff in in this film (such as the Shining being a metaphor…

• Jack Rys

★★★ Watched by Jack Rys 09 Oct, 2014

Most of the reviews of this film were crackpot interpretations that are laughable, while some might hold some plausibility. What makes this film great is the display of the myriad of interpretations a single film can have. The film is presented in an artistic and engaging way that keeps me hooked regardless of the ridiculousness.

• Daniel "PG" Simpson

★★★★ Watched by Daniel "PG" Simpson 08 Oct, 2014

Room 237 is a documentary where a bunch of Stanley Kubrick enthusiasts each present their various interpretations of his classic horror film The Shining. Though it got good reviews, many people really turned on the film, citing how ridiculous some of the theories are. Indeed, some of the ideas presented are a bit of a stretch. Sometimes it's just bizarre, like the guy who claims there's boner imagery when Jack is hired, or downright insane like the guy who believes…

• Rian

★★★ Watched by Rian 08 Oct, 2014

It is the view of the filmmakers of Room 237, an in-depth analysis of Stanley Kubrick's (allegorical) masterwork, The Shining, that a man in a bear suit giving a blow-job (arguably the most bizarre thing in the film, really) is completely void of any significant symbolic meaning, but the man in a skiing poster is most definitely imitating a minotaur - which is important because (?!) The Shining has a lot of hidden minotaur imagery in it for some reason…

• Joe DiCanio