• Nathan

Watched by Nathan 22 May, 2015

It isn't about finding out different, interesting new theories on 'The Shining', although I did. It's just fun listening to people geek-out about a film I love.

3.5/4

• Monkeyboy42

★★½ Watched by Monkeyboy42 20 May, 2015

I actually really enjoyed this film, but the only thing about it that was good was the theories themselves.

The filmmakers did not deign to show any of the theorists, which for me would have been much more enjoyable than watching bits and pieces of the Shining (and other Kubrick films), sometimes with things circled on the screen to point out what the narrators were saying.

It seemed lazy, and would have been more interesting as a *film* to show…

• Corey Miller

Watched by Corey Miller 20 May, 2015

If you're interested in talking back to your tv and calling the conspirators "morons" this is for you. I was curious to see this for awhile being a Shining fan but the people featured are absolutely insane trying to see things that just aren't there even thinking continuity issues are down on purpose. I'm giving. It one star only because I want to watch The Shining and enjoy it for what it is.

• Sarah

★★★ Watched by Sarah 19 May, 2015

I felt like I spent this entire documentary going "what?"

Some parts are far-fetched, but it's an interesting subject and I liked it overall.

• Si Sharp

★★★ Watched by Si Sharp 16 May, 2015

Enjoyable not so much for the explanations it gives about Kubrick's horror masterpiece so much as a fascinating exploration of how films can be analysed and whether a subtext needs to be deliberate in order for its observation to be valid.

It's also beautifully put together visually and with a wonderfully synthetic and oppressive original soundtrack.

• Kevin Matthews

★★½ Added by Kevin Matthews

The Shining is, for me, one of the greatest horror movies of the 20th century. Whenever I rewatch it, which isn’t often enough, I am reminded of how brilliant and effective it is. It starts to unsettle viewers from the very first minute and doesn’t let up until the end credits roll. Stephen King famously took a dislike to it, claiming that director Stanley Kubrick missed out vital elements of the book and that Jack Nicholson’s performance showed a man…

• Wooderson

★★ Watched by Wooderson 16 May, 2015

No, its not a very good documentary and most of the theories don't make any sense. But it is an interesting look at obsession in film.

• SmokingPizza

★★★★★ Added by SmokingPizza

I really enjoyed this documentary. Whether it's all bullshit or not it's worth a watch. Especially if you like Kubrick and the Shining. It puts some interesting viewpoints out there.

• Alex Gidley

½ Watched by Alex Gidley 07 May, 2015

I have to admit, I bailed on this movie after 35 minutes. I couldn't take it anymore. I have never seen in my entire life a more lifeless, boring and poorly produced documentary. In, my, entire, life. There is a part where one of the people who contributed to this has to stop mid way through his point to shut his fucking child up.

This is a absolute disgrace of a movie and completely unfitting of Kubrick's 1980 masterpiece. The…

• Luke B

★★½ Watched by Luke B 02 May, 2015

I would have loved this in my late teens/early 20's. Now that I'm on the other side of thirty, and have started to assimilate into "the man," my programming won't allow me to enjoy the the majority of the theories presented here. Great editing and soundtrack though.

• damatoism

★★½ Watched by damatoism 20 Apr, 2015

Kind of disappointing

• Noah LePage

★★ Watched by Noah LePage 27 Apr, 2015

I gritted my teeth all the way through, with only the slightest release in knowing that these people are tax-evading losers. I guess that's the tradeoff when marketing in top-of-the-barrel intelligentsia. Neither David Lynch nor Eraserhead are mentioned (which confirms that even this film has a deep-seeded subtext of denial), and beyond the last five minutes there is absolutely no compelling filmmaking (some cute visual cues dreamed up in After Effects don't count). Errol Morris would have followed these VHS…