• Pike Bishop

★★★★ Rewatched by Pike Bishop 28 Feb, 2015

A very interesting look not necessarily into The Shining, but into the obsession over it and film in general.

• Luke McGrath

★★ Watched by Luke McGrath 27 Feb, 2015

Caught between self belief and laughing at its contributors. Wasted opportunity.

• Vinícius Souza

Watched by Vinícius Souza 24 Feb, 2015 1

A bunch of bizarre theories about the excellent 'The Shining' are thrown out by some nutcases who we don't have any idea who they are. The search for hidden messages in the movie can be really laughable, but it gets so exaggerated that's painful to watch. Ok, it's a documentary about obsession, but the point is totally proven by the first five minutes. Then it gets boring and repetitive. There's an excellent haunting soundtrack during all the talking, but it's the kind of unnecessary seriouness that turns the WTFuckery up to eleven. If you're looking for some logic or enlightenment about Stanley's work, avoid this.

• Gerti

★★★½ Rewatched by Gerti 24 Feb, 2015

So entertaining, even if (or more like because) the theories are either partially or completely out there.

Like way out.

Like on the Moon.

• Joe Cool

★★½ Watched by Joe Cool 23 Feb, 2015

The premise to this movie sounded really fun but if I had stopped to think about it for a second I might have asked "but what's the point of having all these people just spout off their weird interpretations of The Shining for 90 minutes?" And about 1/3rd of the way into the movie that's exactly what I was asking.

At first it's fun enough just to listen to the interviewees dissect The Shining and ascribe esoteric meaning to Stanley…

• Jason MD-P

★★★½ Watched by Jason MD-P 22 Feb, 2015 1

Some of the theories are really out there, while others make some sense. It's hard to fathom how Kubrick could have incorporated all of them into one film, but he *was* a genius. Though what makes this documentary good is that it's not just about the theories about the film, it's about the people who come up with the theories. I appreciate how the film takes them seriously--whether they're right or wrong, they're sincere in their analysis, and deserving of…

• Kartik Singh

★★★½ Watched by Kartik Singh 18 Feb, 2015 1

I love geeking out in this way, especially to the puzzle film that is The Shining.

As a doc, sometimes the pacing felt slow, I wonder if they could have done it all, but just a little bit quicker.

I learned a lot, and I love the theories it presents, especially around Holocausts - the Jews and the Native Americans.

• CJ_Boddicker

★½ Watched by CJ_Boddicker 02 Oct, 2013

Really atrocious.

• Carla Salcedo Zea

★★★★ Added by Carla Salcedo Zea

Buena forma de sentir que en realidad no vi la película

• Jerry Downing

★★ Watched by Jerry Downing 08 Feb, 2015 1

Total nonsense. It was funny at first listening to some of the insane theories but it got boring after a while. You have a guy saying the movie is about white folk killing Native Americans because one of the food products has an Indian head on it. Another that says it's about Nazi's because Jack uses a German typewriter and the number 42 is shown. Why did Kubrick change the room to 237 when it was 217 in the novel?…

• Gordo

★★ Watched by Gordo 06 May, 2014

One of the worst movies I've watched so far this year and pretty much the definitive argument that serious film criticism is a complete waste of fucking time.
    There's about 20 minutes of interesting observations about the movie sandwiched around an endless barrage of inane bullshit.

• Eric Robinson

★★★ Watched by Eric Robinson 06 Feb, 2015

The theories themselves are completely useless when it comes to revealing anything interesting about "The Shining." That being said, the film completely captures the craziness and insanity of those coming up with the ridiculous theories about "The Shining."