• choombaz

★★★½ Watched by choombaz 14 Aug, 2014

Much of this film seems a huge stretches but there are sections that make a lot of sense taking into the personality and MO of director Stanley Kubrick. I can see why some people would think this film was silly but being a fan I found it fascinating.

• choombaz

★★★½ Watched by choombaz 14 Aug, 2014

S

• sahara88

★½ Rewatched by sahara88 22 Aug, 2014

One of the most inconsistent and unapologetically lazy documentaries I have ever seen.

• Elias Tafwed

★★ Watched by Elias Tafwed 21 Aug, 2014

I'm surprised that a documentary on one of the greatest horror films of all time turns out to be nothing but boring. Seriously, I could care less about the way a skier looks like a Minotaur on a poster.

• Jon Birondo

★★★★½ Watched by Jon Birondo 18 Aug, 2014

An incredibly engrossing and intriguing analysis to one of the greatest film, and horror films, of all time. Everything you know about The Shining is surface level nonsense compared to what this movie has to offer.

• Daniel Nava

★★★★ Rewatched by Daniel Nava 17 Aug, 2014

Well take it from me
    What else could you do?
    Where do you get off?
    And how can I get there too?

I think there's a Bukowski quote out there, about how we all need a little craziness in our lives, that fits as well.

Anyway, Room 237. We all have that movie, don't we? Those that linger in the mind? Kinda eating away at us? There's a great line in the film about how someone kept returning to The Shining despite not really liking it. The subjects are obsessed, but passionate. That makes for compelling cinema.

• Tony Black

★★½ Watched by Tony Black 18 Aug, 2014

It's hard to conjure in the mind a movie that has created more theory, enigma and speculation than Stanley Kubrick's 1980 masterpiece The Shining, which stands personally as one of my all-time favourite pieces of cinema, precisely because it's so open to analysis and interpretation. Room 237 is concerned with such analysis, Rodney Ascher's documentary focusing as it does on the testimony of five filmmakers & researchers--Geoffrey Cocks, Bill Blakemore, Juli Kearns, John Fell Ryan & Jay Weidner--each of whom have their…

• fieldmouse

★★½ Watched by fieldmouse 16 Aug, 2014

Frustrating because the film never really commits to an in-depth analysis of the The Shining using any of the theories presented. Partially this is because the actual explication is being performed by the interviewees off the cuff. It doesn't seem that they are sitting in front of the film themselves, with us. This undercuts the theories themselves, because the interviewees aren't really given the space or opportunity to develop an extended, text-based analysis. So, we get small snippets and examples.…

• eduardovictory

★★★½ Watched by eduardovictory 11 Aug, 2014

This film definitely isn't for everyone. Rodney Ascher's documentary picks apart even the most subtle details within Stanley Kubrick's adaptation of Stephen King's novel and they make you wonder, could any of this be true? Starting at the most believable and likely true analysis that the film is an allegory for the slaughter of the American Indians and/or the Holocaust to the outlandish conspiracies regarding minotaurs and the moon landing. Also examined are ties to Kubrick's previous films Barry Lyndon…

• Carlyle Coash

★★★★ Watched by Carlyle Coash 31 Jul, 2014

For lovers of the Shining and Stanley Kubrick - this documentary must be seen immediately. The theories of the true meaning behind the Shining make it worth the viewing. A highlight comes when they overlap playing the Shining forwards and backwards. Chilling. Clearly people have some serious time on their hands to come up with this stuff but thank God they do.

• Tom Fitzpatrick

★★★ Added by Tom Fitzpatrick

This is definitely a must watch for those who admire Kubrick's horror masterpiece and while some of the theories/ interpretations of the film are interesting and plausible, a few seem a little bit ludicrous. And for all its worth, its just a bunch of cinephiles expressing their own OCD with The Shining.

Nonetheless, it is a film that delivers, but non-fans of The Shining will find this to be one big long yawn.

• MaidReptile

★★½ Watched by MaidReptile 07 Aug, 2014

I like the idea, but I wanted a better execution. The commentators all kind of blend together. We never see them and we only see their names the first time they speak.

And I think by having 9 commentators they muddy the waters a bit. Some of the people have interesting, well-thought out theories and some have very little to offer.