• Miami Conroy

½ Watched by Miami Conroy 01 Nov, 2015

Did anyone else hear that part where he had to stop narrating and shut his kid up???

I love deeper meanings of movies as mush as the next guy, but you have to be kidding me... Every semi-reasonable connection was overruled by some irrational and irrelevant connection about the fucking moon landing????

If you made enough stupid connections I'm pretty sure that you could prove I faked the moon landing and I wasn't even alive back then.

• Rian Mercer

Watched by Rian Mercer 13 Nov, 2015

I like The Shining and some of its symbolism but wow; some people need to find a new hobby for their own health.

• Curtis Wong

★★½ Watched by Curtis Wong 17 Nov, 2015

This review reportedly contains spoilers. I can handle the truth.

Seen after watching The Shining for the first time. It's an interesting movie with a few really insightful comments, such as theories pertaining to the genocide of the Native American peoples and the incongruity of space in the hotel. However, it's also plagued with so much fanfiction and nebulous ideas masquerading as truth that it's hard to take it seriously at times. This also weakens the impact of the stronger ideas made in the film, which is unfortunate. The end…

• Eamon Willis

★★★ Watched by Eamon Willis 13 Nov, 2015

Some of the theories are pretty interesting, and some of the theories are "the second they touch hands, he gets a boner."
    Still better than 'The Nightmare' by a mile, and I can admire this for exclusively using footage from other films as opposed to showing the interviews, which works pretty well.

• Paul Zoccolillo

★★★½ Added by Paul Zoccolillo

(Original review outdated, re-evaluation required at later date)

• nrbeaton

★★★★ Watched by nrbeaton 07 Nov, 2015

Most of the conspiracy theories are pretty wacky, but it's fascinating nonetheless and the editing and sound is very nicely done.

• Rocky Pajarito

★★★½ Watched by Rocky Pajarito 04 Nov, 2015

Ridiculous, but also a testament to the power of art, and the transferring of importance from artist to the individual viewer. Again, many of these posited theories are quite ridiculous, but they're so well thought out and specific that it drags you into the mindset of the commentator per chapter. At this point, it's VERY indulgent, but also very human and real, to the point where the commentators can be heard living their lives or breaking into thought in the…

• Garrett the Mad

Watched by Garrett the Mad 31 Oct, 2015

You can tell me a bunch of theories about what little background details in The Shining refer to, but unless you somehow tie the larger details of the movie into those details, the theories are pretty much useless. For instance, as one of the theories goes, the movie is about American genocide of Native Americans because of the Calumet cans in the store room; ok, great, but how exactly is the rest of the movie about that? Oh, it's not.…

• JennyM

★★★★ Added by JennyM

Fascinating even if the a lot of the theories were far fetched. It's just a tribute to how good Kubrick was with angles and details, really

• Calum Iain MacIver

★★½ Watched by Calum Iain MacIver 29 Aug, 2013

Stanley Kubrick's horror masterpiece, with its complex puzzle of allusions, metaphor, ambiguities and paradoxes, which belie its simple surface narrative, has always lent itself to interpretation. Over the years many theories, ideas and conspiracies have developed around "The Shining and what all the ambiguities in the film may mean. Cinephiles are notorious for finding subtext and the meaning in even the most mundane of movies – a complex, ambiguous film such as "The Shining" is therefore a treasure trove to…

• Matthew Sigur

★★★ Added by Matthew Sigur

Some interesting theories, and I would definitely watch a projection of The Shining playing backwards on top of the film playing forwards. But, also, some of this stuff is just looney.

• Tim Bennett

Watched by Tim Bennett 25 Oct, 2015

The one thing this film has going for it is the concept: an exploration of the possible hidden messages and meanings within Stanley Kubrick’s The Shining. An interesting idea, as Kubrick’s horror classic can be very hard to wrap your head around at times, but the film ruins any potential it had by filling itself with idiots.

To be fair, there are a couple of really interesting points made, mostly early on. Namely, that Kubrick used symbolism meant to invoke…