• Jake M

★★½ Watched by Jake M 28 Aug, 2015

interesting, but also utter nonsense.

• petrilloz

★★★½ Added by petrilloz

There’s a haunting simplicity to The Shining. Those words, combined with the director’s mysterious approach to discussing his films, makes this a work ripe for obsessives. The next gateway to obsession comes by way of accessibility. The Shining, dressed as a horror film, with an enormously recognizable leading man, adapted from a novel by one of the most adapted authors ever, allows many who might have otherwise kept away from Kubrick’s work to come to this one in particular. Additionally,…

• Arne G.

★★★★ Added by Arne G.

[...] Wie man an der Rezeption der Dokumentation erkennt, ist das wohl leider für viele nur verworrener Schwachsinn, aber mal ehrlich, da wo die Meisten mit dem Werk durch sind und es ad acta legen, wird es doch eigentlich erst interessant?! Sicher ist manches hier etwas zu frei ausgelegt und höchst streitbar, aber im Endeffekt weiß doch niemand genau was in Kubrick’s (oder jedes anderen Filmemachers) Kopf so los war. Welche Symbole Zufall sind und welche gewollt? Was lediglich Anschlussfehler…

• James Ian McKenzie

★★★½ Added by James Ian McKenzie

Yeah, the theories are ridiculous, but you're supposed to be aware of that. A very entertaining documentary that has rekindled my interest in Stanley Kubrick.

• filmcollective

★★★½ Added by filmcollective

Whilst this film made for interesting viewing, I can't help but think that a lot of the conspiracy theories are a little too far fetched. Or are they? Who knows? Maybe Kubrick's 2001 was so mind bloeingly accurate that NASA thought it made sence to employ the director to take them. Anf maybe Kubrick did need to confess in subliminal messages throughout the shining. Who knows? I did particularly like the effect of over lapping the film played in forward and revWyse, whether or not Kubrick had ever actually thought that deeply into the films production. Again, who knows.

Anyway, Room 237 made interesting viewing.

• Brian Stack

★★★½ Added by Brian Stack

This documentary highlights a few of the endless number of conspiracy theories surrounding The Shining (1980) by Stanley Kubrick.

It's an apology for mistreatment of Native Americans.

It's an admission Kubrick helped fake the Apollo lunar landing.

It's an allegorical film about the Holocaust.

The point of this movie is not to uncover the true meaning behind the film, but to demonstrate how little intention matters in artistic endeavors. Every film is an individual experience. One movie can be a…

• Arya Harsono

★★ Watched by Arya Harsono 18 Aug, 2015

Honestly just a bunch of hogwash comparisons between scenes in the movie and things in real life.

• Robert

★★★ Watched by Robert 19 Aug, 2015

Room 237 at it's core is not about The Shining, or Stanley Kubrick but rather fandom of an art. It just so happens that director Rodney Ascher decided to focus on The Shining and is an examination of the film over nine parts. Ascher made the interesting decision of largely taking a backseat with little narration and instead letting the various people speak about their theories on the film. Ascher doesn't even put one theory above another, instead having them…

• LMFSilva

Watched by LMFSilva 17 Aug, 2015

The wave of rolling eyes that swept across my head.

• Eden Palmer

★★★ Watched by Eden Palmer 16 Aug, 2015

Apophenia /æpɵˈfiːniə/ is a human tendency of perceiving patterns or connections in random or meaningless information.

Room 237 is an engrossing film that convinces you for brief moments of completely inane theories. There are plenty of valid ideas to begin with but nearly every interviewee reaches a point where they are grasping at straws. Worth a watch for any and all those who are interested in The Shining and Kubrick, even if you don't buy into some of these wild conjectures.

• Christopher Tennant

★★★★ Watched by Christopher Tennant 13 Aug, 2015

It really dips you further into insanity than the shining itself.

Also, let's stop referring to this as a guide to the shining. I think that's missing the point of both works.

• Pube

★★★½ Added by Pube

I wish I smoked pot because this would absolutely blow my mind if I were high. Unfortunately, sometimes when you are high you make sense out of nothing and rationalize circumstances into enlightening breakthroughs. I can't quite decipher what scrutinizing fan theories about The Shining might be facts demonstrating the genius of Kubrick or just fanboy pipe dreams. Regardless, this is very interesting and worth a watch.