• Luke B

★★½ Watched by Luke B 02 May, 2015

I would have loved this in my late teens/early 20's. Now that I'm on the other side of thirty, and have started to assimilate into "the man," my programming won't allow me to enjoy the the majority of the theories presented here. Great editing and soundtrack though.

• damatoism

★★½ Watched by damatoism 20 Apr, 2015

Kind of disappointing

• Noah LePage

★★ Watched by Noah LePage 27 Apr, 2015

I gritted my teeth all the way through, with only the slightest release in knowing that these people are tax-evading losers. I guess that's the tradeoff when marketing in top-of-the-barrel intelligentsia. Neither David Lynch nor Eraserhead are mentioned (which confirms that even this film has a deep-seeded subtext of denial), and beyond the last five minutes there is absolutely no compelling filmmaking (some cute visual cues dreamed up in After Effects don't count). Errol Morris would have followed these VHS…

• windowseat

★★★½ Watched by windowseat 26 Apr, 2015

Room 237 is sort of like a conversation among several stoned friends about one of the greatest movies of all time. I could probably listen to these crackpots babble on about The Shining for a couple more hours. Some of the theories I couldn't even begin to follow. The fact that the movie mostly incorporates relevant images from The Shining instead of talking heads gives a little bit of grounding to the wilder theories. If nothing else the subjects of Room 237 have pointed out that even a meticulous director such as Kubrick is capable of a few continuity errors.

• David Ashley

★½ Watched by David Ashley 26 Mar, 2013

• Evan Daniels

★★½ Watched by Evan Daniels 26 Apr, 2015

I don't really know about this one. On the one hand, there are some interesting points and observations. On the other, what the fuck are some of these people talking about. To me, The Shining is simply a great horror film and that's all I want it to be in my mind. I don't need The Shining to be an allegory for the Holocaust, or better yet, for how Kubrick faked the moon landing. This film probably would have done better as a Youtube video, since there's hardly any actual footage shot for this film.

• Mark Taylor

★½ Watched by Mark Taylor 24 Apr, 2015

Apollo theories had me steaming, but otherwise the goofy fun I expected.

• Nathan Sizemore

★★★★½ Watched by Nathan Sizemore 21 Apr, 2015

I enjoyed this more than I thought I would and was surprised at its staying power. After an hour I didn't feel like we were exhausting Shining conspiracy theories. It felt like there was a lot more to explore.

82/100

• Colin Rudge

★★★★½ Rewatched by Colin Rudge 14 Apr, 2015

A very fun film. In some ways it is less about all the theories about The Shining, which vary from the ingenious to the scarily plausible to the disturbingly lunatic, but about the power of art and the way that a great film can speak to and inspire individuals in so many different ways. A mass media film illustrates individual preoccupations and points of views: these may be extreme examples (almost consipracy theorist levels of dissection, and a film that…

• Erik Skybak

★★★★ Rewatched by Erik Skybak 15 Apr, 2015

I've been working a theory in my head lately that says this: the real connection that an audience makes with a film is not in the information given to them, it's in the gaps in between that information. The filmmaker provides the context surrounding those gaps, then the audience fills in those gaps with their own experience of the world. The artistry and poetry comes from that contextualization. Some filmmakers leave bigger gaps than others, which explains films that take…

• Paul Bulger

★★★★ Watched by Paul Bulger 13 Apr, 2015

Room 237 is not a documentary that is actually concerned with understanding the so-called "subtexts" in The Shining, this is an often times hysterically funny mockery of obsessive cinephiles.

• Ella

★★ Added by Ella

Absolutely hilarious, but ultimately a waste of time. If you have nothing better to do, it's fun to listen to people's batshit theories about The Shining.