• TheUnholyMesiah

★★★★ Added by TheUnholyMesiah

"I think that a really perfect ambiguity is something which means several things, all of which might be true, and which, at the same time, move the audience, emotionally, in the general direction you want them to be moving." - Stanley Kubrick. With such an ambiguous, enigmatic and mysterious movie as The Shining, the quote is truer than ever.

The 1st time I saw The Shining I was disappointed; which rarely happens with a Kubrick film. It wasn't as scary…

• Joe

★★★★ Watched by Joe 12 Oct, 2014

I really enjoyed the format of this movie. It was a fun companion piece to watch right after The Shining. They remind me of the Ancient Aliens commentators in the way they start making a point that's completely sensible and coherent, and mid-sentence just go wildly in an absurd direction.

• Chris Lay

★★★½ Watched by Chris Lay 17 Apr, 2013

I don't think any of these cockamamie theories hold much water insofar as Kubrick's actual intentions, but this wonderfully well put together doc is a multi-layered series of entertaining thought experiments for anyone who's seen The Shining and wants to go deeper.

• cvez

★★★★ Watched by cvez 28 Oct, 2014

Halloween Season 2014

Even if you think that the majority of the theories offered here are bullshit, you cannot help being enthralled by the presentation of the evidence. In what other film is someone going to count the cars parked in a particular establishing shot and make the leap that the 42 stationary vehicles symbolizes the holocaust? What cannot be denied is the enduring power of Kubrick's film and this only serves to perpetuate it.

• coolihoma

★★★ Rewatched by coolihoma 25 Oct, 2014

Essential viewing for Kubrick fans, or for fans of The Shining specifically. I've seen this doc three times now, and I have a different reaction each time - this time, the moon landing dissection was the most compelling whereas the first time I saw it, it was the least.

Look forward to seeing similar treatment to Eyes Wide Shut and the exploration of the notion that it was Kubrick warning the American public that an elite cabal was slowly tightening…

• Joseph William Lewis

★★★ Rewatched by Joseph William Lewis 23 Oct, 2014 1

Still extraordinarily edited. Still has moments of intrigue. Still mostly annoying.

• grimey6

★★★ Added by grimey6

Makes you look at the shining differently. Some of the theory's are far-fetched, actually to the point where it is funny. Makes you think "is it possible to look into a film too much." or is art what you make of it.

Kubrick is known to be a perfectionist but people think any theory is true because of this.

• Julio Almeida

★★★ Watched by Julio Almeida 12 Oct, 2014

A bunch of wacky people explaining in details their wacky theories about a whacky movie directed by a whacky dude? Well, depending on your mood it can be fun as a rollercoaster or boring as a dentist appointment. I enjoyed a lot this documentary, but I can see some people easily getting bored with it. / Um monte de gente maluca explicando em detalhes suas teorias malucas sobre um filme maluco dirigido por um cara maluco? Bem, dependendo do seu…

• Danny Gray

★★★ Watched by Danny Gray 16 Oct, 2014

It's no secret that Kubrick put an insane amount of detail into every scene of every film he made, and nothing was shown on camera without a specific purpose or meaning. Whilst this can be an interesting thing to examine, the biggest problem with Room 237 is that some people have simply looked into some elements far too much.

The best thing about this documentary is that it takes the interesting, insightful stories and explanations, narrated by contributors with genuine…

• Joseph Neff

★★★★ Watched by Joseph Neff 18 Oct, 2014

I have a theory about this movie.

• Patrick Thompson

★★ Watched by Patrick Thompson 21 Oct, 2014

I'm not sure what is weirder: The Shining or the people on this documentary with their crackpot theories about the Shining?

• Todd Sullivan

★★★½ Watched by Todd Sullivan 18 Oct, 2014

An interesting look into the kind of rabid, fanatical, analysis that Stanley Kubrick's film The Shining has inspired over the years. Is it a movie about the holocaust? Or about the white man's destruction of American natives? Is it Kubrick's attempt to confess his part in faking the footage of the moon landing? Or is it maybe just a horror film adapted from a Stephen King novel?

Well, yeah, it's probably just the latter, but that doesn't mean it's not fun to listen to some of the increasingly batshit theories presented here.

Does Barry Lyndon get the scrutiny? Somehow I doubt it.