• Nour Regaya

★★★★★ Added by Nour Regaya

this one is also not critically acclaimed but I fucking ADORE this movie

• Ben

★★ Added by Ben

Movie Review: Running with Scissors (2006)
    Characters: I feel oppressed... WE NEED HIGHER CEILINGS!!! (Jumps on table and stabs roof with the end of a broom, or SOMETHING like that) .

So, I watched this movie because of a recommendation from a good friend, and... I can't really figure out what he sees in it. The entire movie's a mess. The characters are a mess, the tone is a mess, the lame excuses for "comedy" (one if which includes trapping…

• Hans

★★★ Watched by Hans 22 Apr, 2015

completely wacko movie but still showing a good picture of then time and era. People were crazy then.

• Jordan

★★ Watched by Jordan 15 Feb, 2015

Tonally unbalanced with no real narrative structure, Running with Scissors has some great scenes and performances that are lost in an overall bland film.

• Matt Wooldridge

★½ Watched by Matt Wooldridge 24 Aug, 2007

This arty quirky dramedy is not completely bad, but it is around 85% bad. You have a solid cast in Annette Bening, Brian Cox, Alec Baldwin and Gwyneth Paltrow, and an amazing performance from Joseph Fiennes, who was so good I couldn't believe it was him until halfway through the film, his accent was flawless. But none of these guys stopped this from being a heinous waste of two hours.

The film tries to be TOO quirky. ME AND YOU…

• markbotts

★★★ Watched by markbotts 07 Nov, 2014

Family deconstructed.

• Rob

★★★½ Watched by Rob 21 Sep, 2014

Interesting auto-biographical film about a young gay man and his constant struggles for a sane life against his mother's artistic, insane, pill-driven ego.

• thewayofcinema

½ Added by thewayofcinema

One of the worst films I've had the displeasure of seeing. No one gets out with all of their dignity in tact except, perhaps, Jill Clayburgh.

• Reece Roberts

★★★★ Watched by Reece Roberts 05 Aug, 2014

A pretty entertaining coming of age flick.
    Annette Bening is flawless as usual as an estrange lesbian, pill popping poetry writer.
    Chaotically the plot was a bit of a mess. Fun, though, with a lot of twists and turnings but I couldn't really understand what the thematic statement was.
    I guess it was about family cause it seemed to have a lot to do with that.
    So we'll run with that.

• TajLV

★½ Added by TajLV

I really wanted to like this movie. I’d heard good things about the book. But despite my best efforts, I could not identify with any of the characters – not one of them. Good acting (Bening & Clayburgh did their best) cannot make dysfunctional characters likeable. I felt no compassion for 15-yearold Augusten, the main character, whose smoking, class-cutting, self-pity, and vandalism can be explained as reactions to the insanity that surrounds him, but cannot be excused. He is a delinquent,…

• Maxwell Elliott

★★★ Watched by Maxwell Elliott 16 Mar, 2014

A chaotic descent into sickness and insanity that, unfortunately, lacks strong direction. Plot threads seem to come and go without reason, and the atmosphere is likewise confused. It wants to be a tragicomedy, but it's not quite one thing or the other. Some sequences are riveting, subtle, and emotionally complex, while others are overblown and lack substance. Some of its most principal characters are often the least developed and interesting, while more noteworthy minor characters get inadequate screen time. It's…

• Megan_Maggot

★★★½ Rewatched by Megan_Maggot 10 Feb, 2014

A decent adaptation of Burroughs' popular memoir.