• Maxwell Elliott

★★★ Watched by Maxwell Elliott 16 Mar, 2014

A chaotic descent into sickness and insanity that, unfortunately, lacks strong direction. Plot threads seem to come and go without reason, and the atmosphere is likewise confused. It wants to be a tragicomedy, but it's not quite one thing or the other. Some sequences are riveting, subtle, and emotionally complex, while others are overblown and lack substance. Some of its most principal characters are often the least developed and interesting, while more noteworthy minor characters get inadequate screen time. It's…

• Megan_Maggot

★★★½ Rewatched by Megan_Maggot 10 Feb, 2014

A decent adaptation of Burroughs' popular memoir.

• Hannah M

★★½ Watched by Hannah M 04 Feb, 2014

This was written and directed by Ryan Murphy, of Glee fame, and that actually makes total sense. It walks a weird line between comedy and drama, and while I think it's trying to be a Royal Tenenbaums or a Little Miss Sunshine, it just all feels a little disjointed to me. I didn't care about any of the characters except Annette Bening's, and I really only wanted to see her story. Everybody else was kind of mushed together in such…

• Dayna Newman

★★★★★ Rewatched by Dayna Newman 31 Jan, 2014

Running with Scissors has become one of my favorite movies.
    It's characters are as colorful as a box of crayola crayons and twice as fun.
    The story is heartbreaking as well as heart warming.All set to a fantastic Seventies Soundtrack.
    It's hard to pick out a Stand out because They're all so wonderful.

Although In my opinion Evan Rachel Wood and Jill Clayburgh were the most effective in their roles. Jill Clayburgh could have overplayed her role but she didn't…

• gbaker

★★½ Watched by gbaker 18 Jan, 2014

i don't know what i expected seven years ago when i saw the posters at for this movie at the rialto. but i'm pretty sure i wasn't expecting a disfunctional family memoir filled with mental health issues.

that's what you get though. big time.

it was perfectly fine, and the pace was good, but i found it a bit hard to engage with, maybe because i just wanted everyone to clean the bloody house already.

• Carl Ingebretsen

★★½ Watched by Carl Ingebretsen 05 Nov, 2013

Running with Scissors is a mess. There's really no other way to say it.

Filled with great performances and a couple of terrific scenes, but it's all pointless when all they do is wander about on the screen, feeling sorry for themselves, getting depressed, suffering from mental illness and almost kill people (including themselves). That's only half the problem though; the most glaring mistake here is the tone. You're never sure whether you're supposed to laugh at things like Dr.…

• Andrea Tejeda

★★★½ Added by Andrea Tejeda

Gwyneth Paltrow tiene un papel parecido al de Margot Tenembaum, hay un gato llamado Freud, sale Alec Baldwin y sí, Annette Bening vuelve a salir de loca: la película está interesante.

• Tommy

★★★½ Watched by Tommy 16 Oct, 2013

Really not what I was expecting! loved it

• Kyle Lauren

★★★ Watched by Kyle Lauren 01 Jan, 2007

Annette Bening's performance was much better than the movie as a whole. It really didn't translate well from the book. At all. It was interesting enough, because of the subject matter, but it was sort of a mess.

• Jared Mobarak

★★½ Watched by Jared Mobarak 11 Feb, 2007

• srtammmm

★★★★★ Added by srtammmm

This review reportedly contains spoilers. I can handle the truth.

• doppelganger

½ Added by doppelganger

omg no one understands me better write a bunch of terrible books