• Thomas Williams

★★★ Added by Thomas Williams

Director Jacques Audiard (Un Prophet) tackles some tough, difficult subject matter with Rust and Bone, a French-language melodrama starring Academy Award-winning French actress Marion Cotillard (La Vie en Rose, Inception) as a whale trainer who must try to recover her life after a tragic accident changes it forever.

After having briefly met hulky bouncer Ali (Matthias Schoenaerts - Bullhead) at a club and showing little interest in him, Stephanie (Cotillard) reaches out to him after her tragedy for companionship and…

• nicksav

★★★★ Added by nicksav

An emotional tour de force of a performance from the perfect Marion Cotillard. Perhaps the performance of her career. A emotionally involving and thoroughly moving work, even though it slightly drags around the midpoint.

• Daniel Ulysses

★★ Added by Daniel Ulysses

Ultra melodramatic plot devices. De rouille et d'os fails to show how characters evolve. Psychological repercussions of Stéphanie's loss seem oversimplified. Ali's family/friends are props to move the story along. He undergoes an offscreen behavioral change between the accident and success, but we don't see him bootstrap himself into maturity. Poorly curated pop (Bon Iver, Li, Perry, &tc) makes for problems in tone.

• Daniel O'Raw

★★★ Watched by Daniel O'Raw 23 Sep, 2014

Rust and Bore, half kidding. The acting is excellent but I'm not convinced the film is. There's good stuff in there but the actual story itself and the relationship at the heart of it didn't really grab me, I never felt that emotionally involved in it. Also some of it felt cliched to me, I've seen these sort of plot elements before and you can see where the story is going and kind of know what's going to happen next.…

• Carlos Laron

★★★★★ Watched by Carlos Laron 21 Sep, 2014 5

I felt all sorts of emotions after watching this gem of a film. Matthias Schoenaerts and Marion Cotillard were EXCEPTIONAL. No wonder people loved it. They carried the film til the end. No other words. Go see this. You will not regret it.

• Wendy

★★★★ Watched by Wendy 20 Sep, 2014

Matthias Schoenaerts puts on a serious performance in this movie. I'm so impressed by him. Marion Cotillard is of course, fantastic as always, but Matthias is so carefree in the way he portrays Ali, it doesn't even feel like you're watching an actor. He's completely casual with his movements, it's almost as if it's all second nature to him.

Cinematography is beautiful (e.g. the shots of water, the sun, the light on the actors' faces) and the film score (e.g.…

• femesmo

★★★★★ Watched by femesmo 30 Jul, 2014

Incredible movie! Incredible Marion Coutillard!!

• spacegirlgail

★★★★ Added by spacegirlgail

More Cotillard amazingness.

• John Connor

★★★★ Watched by John Connor 16 Apr, 2013

A fascinating portrait of a relationship between two damaged people, 'Rust and Bone' is great precisely because it's so intimate. Cotillard and Schoenaerts are both remarkable, and the slow, tentative push and pull of their burgeoning relationship is wonderfully finely etched. In particular, I don't know if I've ever seen thoughtless, instinctive, meat headed masculinity portrayed as well as Schoenaerts does here: he makes his bouncer/back-street boxer both simple and complex at the same time. After this and 'A Prophet', Audiard is definitely one to keep an eye on.

• Richard F

★★★★ Watched by Richard F 02 Apr, 2014

A sad romantic drama. Marion Cotillard loses her legs in an accident and has to learn to live without them and she meets this guy who has a bunch of his own problems. It was pretty slow at first, but by the halfway point I was into it. I liked it, but don't care if I never see it again.

• Radu Conopan

★★★★½ Watched by Radu Conopan 31 Aug, 2014

Put in charge of his young son, Alain leaves Belgium for Antibes to live with his sister and her husband as a family. Alain's bond with Stephanie, a killer whale trainer, grows deeper after Stephanie suffers a horrible accident.

• sschuster

★★★★★ Added by sschuster

Just perfect. Perfect writing, perfect acting.