• Madeleine Pitsch

Added by Madeleine Pitsch

Two physical people get physical after one of them has lost their legs in a whale crash. This film has Marion Cotillard slowly roll an awful lot of tears down her cheeks.

• ndoane

★★★ Watched by ndoane 27 Jul, 2014

This review reportedly contains spoilers. I can handle the truth.

• kakariki_green

★★★★½ Added by kakariki_green

A really satisfying film, this one. Somewhat unpredictable and very compelling.
    The acting was spot on - gorgeously subtle and knowing.

• Ryan

★★★½ Watched by Ryan 22 Jul, 2014

Certainly a unique story. I would have preferred more focus on the woman, who has a much more interesting journey and internal conflict than the man.

• Karl Gauss-Benz

★★★½ Watched by Karl Gauss-Benz 02 Jan, 2014

62/100

• Kate Veismane

★★★★ Watched by Kate Veismane 16 Jul, 2014 1

Very moving performances from both Marion Cotillard and Matthias Schoenaerts. Great directing. Frenchmen did a wonderful job showing some of life's struggles and how people may or may not deal with them. It showed such strength, fear, courage, power, willingness and unselfishness I really could feel the whole movie through.
    And if I can feel it through, it's at least Great (4 stars). Thank you, 2 hours well spent.

• Andrew Bemis

★★★ Watched by Andrew Bemis 21 Jun, 2014

I wish I'd seen Rust and Bone what Roger Ebert and its other biggest fans saw in it; if nothing else, director Jacques Audiard has the kind of emotional directness that is a great asset for any filmmaker. The central relationship between a whale trainer (Marion Cotillard) who has lost her legs in an accident and a broke street fighter and single dad (Mathais Schoenaerts) is moving, if a bit too schematic; Cotillard is great and Schoenaearts is good in…

• Ali Heidari

★★★★½ Watched by Ali Heidari 12 Jul, 2014

I tremendously enjoyed this movie. Some people think this is a story about a girl who loses her legs. It's not. The story isn't about her. The real main character in this story perhaps is Ali, played by Matthias Schoenaerts. Well maybe it's not about him as well. What this story is definitely about is fighting. This story is not meant to be touching, it is all about coping strategies. With Ali it's really fight or flee, for Marie it's…

• AndresMtl

★★★ Watched by AndresMtl 09 Jul, 2014

Like its characters, this is a flawed film, but it manages to pull together two intriguing story lines, stunning cinematography and probably the best amputee VFX ever seen on film (sorry, Lt. Dan). The sister and child subplot was a bit of a miss, but it was all about depth of character I suppose. Far from the greatness of Audiard's A Prophet, this is nonetheless a very interesting watch.

• sidasta

★★★ Watched by sidasta 08 Jul, 2014

Actually found this a little dull. But otherwise an excellent film.

• Jameson Worley

★★★★ Watched by Jameson Worley 17 May, 2014

While the plot was unfocused at times, RUST AND BONE is a terrific romance film featuring two great lead performances from Marion Cotillard and Matthias Schoenaerts. A unique and soulful drama. I enjoyed it immensely.

• WolfBoy

★★★ Watched by WolfBoy 29 Jun, 2014

The two merging storylines feel a little odd together, but i liked that it also becomes somewhat of an unconventional love story. The performances were good, especially Cotillard.