• Ali Egseem

★★★★ Watched by Ali Egseem 20 May, 2015

Fantastic performances all around and great chemistry between the two leads. The film becomes a bit overbearing towards the end and revels a bit too much in its depressing tone. Still, Rust and Bone manages to delight and inspire when its two leads are at their best.

• Danillo Bragança

★★★★ Watched by Danillo Bragança 16 May, 2015

Marion Cotillard é bonita demais.

• Rudi

★★★★½ Watched by Rudi 14 May, 2015

One of the foremost reasons to be on Letterboxd is that it gives you the possibility to encounter movies that you otherwise would have totally missed. Rush and Bone is one of those. This French movie shows the lost life of a father and his little son who are trying to make a living and go to life with his sister in Southern France. He gets a bond with Stephanie who is a whale trainer. He first saves her as…

• ERafferty

★★★½ Watched by ERafferty 08 Jan, 2015

Taking a different approach after A Prophet, Jacques Audiard brings a film where two people meet on a chance encounter, one that normally would never likely happen again until events in motion set them on a path for the two of them to share a deeper connection and really, whether they want to admit it or not, need each other more than they believe. Matthias Schoenaerts plays Ali brilliantly, a man at his lowest point that ignores the warnings from…

• Alex Kozak

★★★½ Added by Alex Kozak

Well this sure is exciting. This is the first foreign film here on the Honest John show. That’s right, we are branching out a little bit. The fact is, this has been an amazing year for film all around. Pretty much every category has had a huge hit. This includes foreign films. There’s three that came out this year that have really been the talk of the town. The first was “The Intouchables” which technically came out last year, but…

• jurrrk

★★★★ Added by jurrrk

Gorgeous movie -- had some of the best use of lighting I've seen in a while. While that may sound like I'm grasping, lighting can serve the hell out of a movie like this.

• Laura

★★★★ Watched by Laura 03 May, 2015 3

Rust and Bone has a solid plot, lovely cinematography and a pair of amazing performances by Marion Cotillard and Matthias Schoenaerts.

I'm pleasently surprised by how much I liked this.

• Mrchef

Watched by Mrchef 30 Apr, 2015

I was very mixed on this film. I really appreciated all the formal elements; the cinematography, the editing, the score, and of course the performances, but I was never invested in these characterss

• Matt J.

★★★★½ Watched by Matt J. 25 Apr, 2015 3

* very minor spoilers *

Ms. Cotillard plays Stéphanie, a beautiful young woman who works as a whale trainer at a marina. Matthias Schoenaerts plays Ali, a broke man with a young son who is is apparently leaving behind an unhappy past. Ali has a violent side, but ultimately has a tender side, and is a loving father to his son.

Stéphanie and Ali meet one night at a club where he works as a bouncer, when he breaks up…

• mark scott

★★★½ Added by mark scott

this movie gave me feels which were so powerful that i was able to slice a steamboat in half with my Katana

• Gui Park

★★★★★ Rewatched by Gui Park 16 Apr, 2015

more i see this, more i feel this.

C'est génial.

• Reece Leonard

★★★★ Added by Reece Leonard

Bleakly honest and fueled by a mesmerizing performance from Cotillard.