• Abdullah Muhana

★★★★ Watched by Abdullah Muhana 04 Mar, 2015

Emotional movie I loved it

• luizsoares

★★ Added by luizsoares

This review reportedly contains spoilers. I can handle the truth.

To Jacques Audiard, it's not enough to have a happy ending. Oh, no, sir. You gotta have a happy ending with your characters bathed in a golden light walking towards each other in slow motion while the voiceover says something sappy and slushy that has to do with the title.

• Laura Mead

★★★ Watched by Laura Mead 27 Feb, 2015

Good soundtrack, and moving moments. Not a big fan of the lead actor but Marion was brilliant.

• personalhelicon

★★★½ Watched by personalhelicon 21 Feb, 2015

Uplifting yet bleak all at once!

• Sim_Honor

★★★★★ Added by Sim_Honor

Totally beautifully brilliant

• Rob Hope

★★★★ Watched by Rob Hope 15 Feb, 2015

Very well shot and acted with a few tough scenes to watch. Marion Cotillard was incredible.

• Ana

★★★★½ Rewatched by Ana 16 Feb, 2015

This made me burst into actual tears? That whale scene is just pure poetry

• Liam Fogarty

★★★★ Watched by Liam Fogarty 15 Feb, 2015

Emotionally charged drama involving two physically and emotionally broken characters from two different environments.

The film occasionally delves into melodrama usually by the over bearing score. However the films main strength is when the two performers are allowed to act realistically, and both the performances feel completely raw and real.

Also featuring really amazing effects and make-up, Rust and Bone is a very effective piece of drama in a world with a lot of similar films offering heated competition.

• Daniela Loera

★★★★ Watched by Daniela Loera 12 Feb, 2015

Talk about great performances.

• Bintang Lestada

★★★★★ Rewatched by Bintang Lestada 11 Feb, 2015

CAN'T BELIEVE I HAVE NEVER LOG THIS ON LETTERBOXD...

Welp now I have.

• TJ Duane

★★★½ Watched by TJ Duane 04 Feb, 2015 3

For some reason, Rust and Bone, which is about a whale trainer who loses her legs in an accident going on to tame a beast-of-a-man (and street fighter) is less ridiculous than it sounds. It is a film that constantly reinvents itself. It asks you take some big leaps, and in that regard it reminds me of The Place Beyond the Pines.

I enjoyed it quite a bit, though a rewatch at some point might clarify some issues I had with the plotting.

Cotillard, as ever, is a goddess and completely believable in every moment. Schoenerts, too, is fantastic as the brutish lead actor.

• Aaron O'Brien

★★★★ Added by Aaron O'Brien

Rust & Bone overcomes its soapy, uncontrolled storyline through astounding performances and strong direction from Jacques Audiard.