• Benjamin Devasir

★★★½ Watched by Benjamin Devasir 02 Jul, 2015

There's a lot of beautiful violence interwoven with scenes of delicate intimacy. However, that's the most interesting part of Rust and Bone, and while Marion Cotillard and Matthias Schoenaerts had some delightful chemistry, it wasn't enough to live up to the expectations of a Jacques Audiard film.

• Matty Stanfield

★★★★ Added by Matty Stanfield

Jacques Audiard's film is an intense film. It presents us with two characters who are each facing mind-blowing challenges. Matthias Schoenaerts and Marion Cotillard are both so fully committed to their roles that it is not difficult to look past some of the film's flaws to find cinematic beauty here.

Pushing past all of the key plot points and seemingly insurmountable hurdles facing these two people, it is there mutual struggle to form a bond that far exceeds the erotic…

• RanierWy

★★★★ Watched by RanierWy 23 Jun, 2015

I had previously seen Breathless (2008) before watching this, so I wasn't prepared for what I just saw. This particular film focuses on Ali and Stephanie, both having to deal with their own personal setbacks, much like the leads in Breathless. However, Rust and Bone focuses primarily on the recovery and return to normalcy. Some faults with this film include how there were some subplots that didn't seem to transition well into each other (last ten minutes, specifically). No parts…

• Taylor Kimmett

★★★★ Watched by Taylor Kimmett 22 Jun, 2015

The story of this felt very unique, even if it obviously contains elements from other stories. Ali's character interestingly wavers between completely loathsome and genuinely likeable and heartfelt while always seeming to be a realistic portrayal of someone unprepared for fatherhood. This is a beautiful film both visually and narratively, and includes great performances from both lead actors. There are several moments of hair-raising beauty that evoke the "essence of cinema" ethos, and that is not to be taken lightly.

• Dustin Riccio

★★★★ Watched by Dustin Riccio 31 May, 2015

A potentially contrived premise works like gangbusters thanks to the two leads. Cotillard and Schoenaerts are both lights out here in two unflattering and unflinching performances. That they grow and change and fall in love is wholly expected but also kinda beside the point. This is an unsentimental story about two damaged people, physically and emotionally, and Audiard never indulges in any unearned sentimentality or redemptions with either of them. Basically, Rust and Bone is my jam.

• AlvaroESalazar

★★★½ Watched by AlvaroESalazar 20 Jun, 2015

Una película ruda, asfixiante, desoladora con pequeños momentos de esperanza. Dos personajes mutilados, ella en su físico, producto del accidente que parece relacionado con su vida carente de sentido y él en su vida afectiva, incapaz de relacionarse, donde su forma física encubre su valor afectivo. Una Película dónde se transita por la Dolorosa cotidianidad en busca de esperanza que le permita a los personajes encontrarse así mismos. Excelente actuación de coutillard y manejo técnico, sin embargo da la impresión de que la brusquedad a la que se le apuesta termina convirtiéndose por momentos en melodramas típicos.

• Rodex

★★★★½ Added by Rodex

Sensible y hermosa. Fluye con una calidez y naturalidad que da gusto verla.

• Andy Lunn

★★★★ Watched by Andy Lunn 10 Jun, 2015

As a rule I'd always say, "Never judge a book by its cover, but always judge a movie by its poster". Based on that rule, I'd certainly have given Rust and Bone a wide berth. I had however, heard good things from reliable sources, so I gave it a go.

I'm glad that I did, because it's very well acted and has more of a realistic story than a lot of films of this nature. It is though, one of those movies that you're best to go into without knowing much about it.

Therefore, I'll just suggest that you check it out.

• Tomates Verdes Fritos

★★★★ Watched by Tomates Verdes Fritos 29 Nov, 2012

Press Screening

• Njabs Phungula

★★★★ Watched by Njabs Phungula 12 Jun, 2015

Don't get me wrong, I really liked this movie but I expected it to be better. Still, if you haven't gotten around to seeing it, you should. The performances are amazing. I'd have to say too that this is favourite performance by Marion Cotillard so far. She is too good in this! Rust and Bone a compelling tale which I look forward to seeing again.

• Thomas Lawrence

★★★ Watched by Thomas Lawrence 11 Jun, 2015

Cotillard and the vfx are great, but what really stands out is Audiard's understanding of The "Firework" Axiom.

• Alex Sheldon

★★★★★ Watched by Alex Sheldon 06 Jun, 2015

Every once in a while I'll watch a film that restores all my faith and respect in exceptionally authentic storytelling and outstanding performances.
    This is one of those films.
    It also makes me want to stick to just watching quality cinema too, and forget about all that other crap that inevitably ends up on my never-ending watchlist.