• David Gómez-Rosado

★★★★★ Watched by David Gómez-Rosado 20 Apr, 2013

I love movies that treat me like an adult. This is one of them: Complex relationships, multi-layered plots, ambiguous morals... a full journey in the vast landscape between black and white! This story may appear simple for lack of loquacious characters (this ain't The King's Speech) but I felt it quite rich and full of nuance... I was also taken by the stunning photography. There are many gorgeous moments full of masterful staging and commandeering of light and shadow (look for the last visit at the orca pool!)

• Brandon Bryson

★★★★ Watched by Brandon Bryson 07 Feb, 2013

Illuminating the Pain

Rust and Bone is the story of two people who lose a certain control of their lives, and follows their fight to discover a means of coping. The first, Ali, with no home and no money, finds that he is now the sole caretaker for his son Sam, which has taken him away from his dream of becoming a kickboxing champion. The two of them journey to stay with Ali’s sister in the hope for a better…

• Christina Huynh

★★★★ Watched by Christina Huynh 21 Mar, 2015

What do you do when you feel as if you've lost everything?

Somehow, Ali and Stephanie meet at the worst (and yet, best) time. Through adversity, Stephanie becomes a stronger person and doesn't let her disability define who she is.

I loved the contrast between Ali and Stephanie. He's hulking and tender, she's petite and resilient.

My main frustration was with Ali. I despised him for being so stupid and irresponsible most of the time, but then I would feel so warm and appreciative for how much he helps Stephanie. His son deserves better though, even by the end of the film.

• Emmamatt

Watched by Emmamatt 20 Mar, 2015

<3 Marion, <3 having legs.

• Evan Cogswell

★★½ Watched by Evan Cogswell 01 Mar, 2015

Admittedly, Rust and Bone isn't that contrived, but it's contrived enough that I really struggled with suspension of disbelief. Sure, the characters' actions are consistent given their personalities and the world they inhabit, but despite Schoenaerts and Cotillard doing some excellent work, Audiard failed to persuade me that this world was even the slightest bit believable. It did not help that once a scene started, I easily predicted the outcome of nearly every scene, including the tragic life changing moment that comes towards the film's end. Anyway, two great performances undermined by an uninteresting script and clumsy directing.

• donnie_brasco

★★★ Watched by donnie_brasco 27 Feb, 2015

Despite the topic, surprisingly unsentimental and prosaic; yes even funny in certain scenes and dialogues. Cotillard remains one of the best actresses of her generation.

• Abdullah Muhana

★★★★ Watched by Abdullah Muhana 04 Mar, 2015

Emotional movie I loved it

• Luiz

★★ Added by Luiz

This review reportedly contains spoilers. I can handle the truth.

So incredibly heavy-handed. It's not enough to have a happy ending, for example. You gotta have a happy ending with your characters bathed in a golden light walking towards each other in slow motion while a sappy song plays and the voiceover says something slushy that has to do with the title.

• Laura Mead

★★★ Watched by Laura Mead 27 Feb, 2015

Good soundtrack, and moving moments. Not a big fan of the lead actor but Marion was brilliant.

• personalhelicon

★★★½ Watched by personalhelicon 21 Feb, 2015

Uplifting yet bleak all at once!

• Simone Michaelis

★★★★★ Added by Simone Michaelis

Totally beautifully brilliant

• Rob Hope

★★★★ Watched by Rob Hope 15 Feb, 2015

Very well shot and acted with a few tough scenes to watch. Marion Cotillard was incredible.