• Chelsey Stewart

★★★★ Added by Chelsey Stewart

This film was really emotional and powerful. It's like nothing I've ever seen before and quite straightforward in dialogue. The acting is impeccable from both Marion Cotillard and Mathias Schoenaerts. Not something I would watch on the regular because it is so straightforward and has some really depressing (and also really uplifting) scenes, but absolutely definitely worth your time.

• Edgar Cochran

★★★½ Watched by Edgar Cochran 14 Apr, 2014 10

Several renowned directors made a comeback in 2012 to show their cards under the sleeve. Most of them were worthwhile, if not great. Audiard, unfortunately, failed to live up to the big expectations that his past film had set beforehand.

What we have here is a story with interesting visuals and a soundtrack as uneven as the lines in the palm of my hand, an underdeveloped chemistry and family issues utilized as dramatic fillers to keep a dubious (and somewhat…

• Roni Laukkarinen

★★★ Watched by Roni Laukkarinen 03 Apr, 2014

Don't judge the book by its cover - this film is the opposite of its cover image. Was surprised the rawness and boldness of the film. Really liked the tragic stories around characters, but was quite anxious about the problems they both and their families had.

Great film about life and its surprises. Nothing that bad to say. Lead female actor Marion Cotillard seems like a good guy, she said in an interview that she didn't like to act the part in the amusement park, because she's against whale and sea mammal captivity. Nice film, but expected more 'love story' and didn't quite get it.

• Daniel Charchuk

★★★½ Watched by Daniel Charchuk 17 Oct, 2012

A modern French melodrama, starring Marion Cotillard as a killer whale trainer and Matthias Schoenaerts as a washed-up boxer struggling to raise his young son; of course, tragedy soon strikes to bring the pair together, leading to an emotionally complex but ultimately cathartic relationship. Though rather contrived, even by melodrama’s usual standards, and boasting some rather goofy plot developments, it nonetheless rings true and feels genuine, even amidst the pulp. Director Audiard never lets the tone devolve into mockery or…

• mattmav45

★★★ Watched by mattmav45 12 Mar, 2014 1

In the end this just barely worked for me.

It was in many ways a hard film for me to connect to. I found this to be an uneven and unfocused film. Let's be honest, it's simply all over the fucking place at times. Not only that, but the characters are hit-or-miss from scene to scene. One minute I think the film is catching on, and then there's a scene that breaks all the momentum. It's the kind of film…

• ruizinhoandre

★★★½ Watched by ruizinhoandre 05 Mar, 2014

Good movie. The finale it's a bit disapointing but still not that bad.

• Raquel Guilhoto

★★★½ Watched by Raquel Guilhoto 01 Mar, 2014

Mensagem de superação, motivação e companheirismo no amor. Fiquei com a vontade de que a história dela fosse mais explorada do que a dele.

• Loreano Tuccori

★★★★½ Watched by Loreano Tuccori 03 Mar, 2014

Damn those French & their great story telling.

• Jordan Barrett

★★★ Watched by Jordan Barrett 02 Mar, 2014

A heart warming story different to what I thought it would be. Rust and Bone has some very touching moments and Marion Cotillard and Mathias Schoenaerts have great chemistry, it just gets a little lost with B plots and character choices that make you question them more than you should.

• mary-anne korosi

★★★★½ Watched by mary-anne korosi 27 Feb, 2014

Wow this was unexpectedly great! Kind of beautifully sad and altogether intense.

• Michael Sy A Foek

★★★½ Watched by Michael Sy A Foek 16 Feb, 2014

Rust and Bone, overall, was something I enjoyed. I loved the performances of the two leads, Marion Cotillard and Mathias Schoenaerts. Cotillard plays an orca trainer whose legs get chomped off, yes, you read that right. And Schoenaerts plays a down-on-his-luck, hobo, absent, terrible single dad, who moves in with his sister and her husband in Southern France. Cotillard and Schoenaerts meet and have a romance, while both struggle with their own issues. The films looks great and there are…

• mazzyhope815

★★★★ Watched by mazzyhope815 27 Dec, 2012

A bleak, tragic romance, played very natural, with two incredible performances at the center. Marion Cotillard is, I think, my favourite actress, and also my #1 movie star crush. One of the better films of the year, for sure.