• Patrick Mulcahy

★★ Watched by Patrick Mulcahy 10 Apr, 2012

A wallop of cod is the best way to describe Salmon Fishing in the Yemen, a Brit pic rom-com for dum-dums adapted from Paul Torday’s implausibly popular novel by Simon (Full Monty) Beaufoy for director Lasse Hallström. The appealing Emily Blunt is cast Miss Hyphen-Ated (actually Chetwynde-Talbot), an investment banker working for a rich Yemenese Sheikh (Amr Waked) who wants the opportunity to fish for salmon in the desert. Ewan McGregor co-stars as the least likely cinema scientist since Saffron…

• Al

★★★ Added by Al

It was sweet and inoffensive.

• Hana Kraus

★★½ Rewatched by Hana Kraus 23 Sep, 2015

• Aurora Esterlia

★★★½ Added by Aurora Esterlia

An idea of this not happy man try to report this one hope dreamer who has money to build a salmon fishing in the Yemen.

The idea was so weird, at the first time I never really get it. Then, the story was so not simple but really cute at the end. And, who knows you'll find a zip of thrilling inside of this movie. Dame, you never know.

• CDN

★★½ Watched by CDN 22 Aug, 2015

Tipicorra, pero al menos pasas un rato agradable.

• Vishnu Singh

★★★½ Watched by Vishnu Singh 17 Aug, 2015

confirming my sappy old man years have well and truly begun I found this film rather charming. It's all rather pretty too.

• zosia

½ Added by zosia

oh so bad

• Toni Roig

★★★ Watched by Toni Roig 04 Aug, 2015

[English/ Spanish review]

For the most part, a pretty functional contemporary feel-good adult best-seller adaptation. showing many of the usual downsides (fascination towards money and power, disguised in a supposedly ambiguous portrayal of the good-mannered eccentric Sheik, an approach to "foreign" cultures from a bird's eye view, predictability and a mostly flat mise en scene), but also many of the ups to be hoped for: great main and supporting cast, good dialogues, nice cinematography, a fluent pace coming from a…

• Samantha

★★★½ Rewatched by Samantha 06 Aug, 2015

"and when the salmon are coming out. And when the bad guy comes. And the one salmons like.... and you're in yemen"

• lavrego

★★★½ Watched by lavrego 04 Aug, 2015

Eu tampouco me decantaría pola pesca de salmón no iemen.

• Nihilist

★★½ Watched by Nihilist 28 Jul, 2015

Dt. Titel: Lachsfischen im Jemen

• onemarathon

★★★★ Watched by onemarathon 26 Jul, 2015 2

I'd put this one off for months, years even, but it was most satisfying once I finally settled down to watch it. Salmon Fishing in the Yemen is a quiet, mostly light-hearted story of romance. McGregor and Blunt are a fisheries expert and consultant, respectively, who are tasked with populating a dry river-bed in the Yemen desert. All for the "whims" of a sheikh, who loves fly fishing and wants to bring the sport to Yemen... and has a grander…