• Bob Hovey

★★★ Watched by Bob Hovey 05 Feb, 2014

Ewan Macgregor is a naturalist, and Emily Blunt is a project manager for an Arab Shiek who's an avid fly-fisherman. Together they're tasked with establishing a breeding population of 10,000 salmon in a river in Yemen. Sounded quirky and interesting when I first heard about it, but it wasn't as interesting as I expected. It turned out to be mostly a light and predictable romantic tale between the two leads, while the potentially interesting political and environmental subtext was either treated as comic relief or not explored sufficiently.

• JoseIgnacioWert

★★★ Added by JoseIgnacioWert

Una novela de Paul Torday es el origen de esta amable comedia con la que el cine británico volvió a anotarse otro tanto en las taquillas de todo el mundo. El oficio de Hallström y el carisma de los actores salvan de sobra la dignidad de la propuesta, por más que se tenga la sensación de que se ha perdido mucha información en el trasvase de la letra impresa a la gran pantalla.

Soberbia Kristin Scott Thomas.

• Niki Storr

½ Watched by Niki Storr 06 Feb, 2014

This movie sucks. Not even Ewen McGregor could save it. Half a star for being the background to catching up on Pinterest & Instagram.

• Luana Gomes

★★★½ Added by Luana Gomes

Not that bad.

• Hadaraqui

★★ Watched by Hadaraqui 02 Feb, 2014

Partiendo de una premisa ridícula (el intento de un jeque árabe de pescar salmón en Yemen) esta se convierte en mera excusa para construir una historia de amor llena de delicadeza y sutileza pero que puede pecar al mismo tiempo de almibarada. Una comedia con elementos satíricos (el personaje, quizá algo pasado de rosca, de Scott Thomas) y algún pequeño elemento crítico en esa trama terrorista que nada aporta (como tampoco lo hace el regreso del novio militar de la protagonista) el film se salva por el buen oficio de su director y la banda sonora de Darío Marinelli.

• EvilTwinRuss

★★★ Watched by EvilTwinRuss 23 Jan, 2014

Yeah. I watched this. So sue me. Two of my favorite actors who are of course, fantastic. The movie is exactly the sort of intelligent gauzy fluff that Hallstrom has made a career out of. You could do worse. The film's politics are shallow at best and offensive at worst. Still, if you look to this kind of film for a dissection of the Middle Eastern relations and culture you might want to rethink your Netflix queue.

The romance is…

• Chris Turner

★★ Added by Chris Turner

Overly long, not very interesting and pretty unengaging. It's ok in a mindless entertaintment type of a way, but as far as good cinema goes, forget it.

• Glenn

★★½ Watched by Glenn 09 Jan, 2014

Not as good as I had hoped, I felt it was a bit boring in parts. I still enjoyed the story though.

• Adam Waldowski

★½ Watched by Adam Waldowski 07 Jan, 2014

So desperate and overeager to be cute, there's really not a charming or human moment here. Emily Blunt, to her credit, escapes unscathed, though she's saddled with a character defined by love affairs with men she hardly knows. Ewan McGregor doesn't fare nearly as well, never so much as hinting at the likability required for his romance with Blunt. Kristin Scott Thomas embarrasses herself thoroughly by attempting to channel Peter Capaldi in In the Loop. Only HFPA members could cherish such a poorly conceived and executed premise and its clumsy, predictable salmon metaphors.

• Graham Keyte

★★★★ Watched by Graham Keyte 05 Jan, 2014

Strange title but it the movie actually works well for what it is. It's got some funny moments and doesn't over do it with the sentimentality. Don't get me wrong it's a rom-com, but without the cliche, and for its kind it's one of the best examples of this type of movie I've seen

• Christopher Sorgiovanni

★½ Watched by Christopher Sorgiovanni 02 Jan, 2014

Never connected with it. And immediately forgot every second that passed.

• Simon Carletti

★★½ Watched by Simon Carletti 05 Jan, 2014

Although beautifully directed, acted, and shot, one can't help but notice one dimensional characters, familiar and predictable plot, and occasionally inexplicable miracles saving the day - as a replacement for good storytelling.

What a pity that a movie with such good source material also had to fall back on the Hollywood troupe of everything coming right at the end...