• Col Todd

★★★★ Watched by Col Todd 20 Apr, 2014

A good film. Did something new at the time which was then ruined by countless crappy sequels...

• Rachel

★★½ Watched by Rachel 14 Apr, 2014

Two men, played by the awful Cary Elwes and the bearable Leigh Whannell (also the screenplay writer), are trapped in a room and given instructions by the sadistic Jigsaw Killer on how to escape. I've heard this film is the best one of the franchise and it wasn't all that great so I don't think I'll be continuing with it. I applaud it for its entertainment value and originality though, and its influence (good or bad) on other horror films of recent years.

• skubrick

★★★½ Added by skubrick

Performances 4/5
    Writing 3/5
    Production 3.5/5
    Total 3.5/5

Its ok, just people getting tortured though, still entertaining. It all goes down hill from the first one though...

• Marcio Melo

★★★★ Added by Marcio Melo 3

O único de toda franquia que é realmente digno de nota

• Brandon Hart

★★★★½ Rewatched by Brandon Hart 07 Apr, 2014

The acting is bad, but in a charming way. The direction is at times strange, but in a unique way. The problems are numerous, but in a way that leaves you unopposed to them. It might only be because I'm a big Saw fan, but this first one is very nostalgic for me.

• MysticSpoon

★★★ Watched by MysticSpoon 07 Apr, 2014

The editing in this was a nightmare. Which is a shame, because I really liked everything else in Saw. The acting is good (although it is unintentionally cartoony at times), the premise is great, the film has a fantastic twist ending that ties everything together rather beautifully, the characters were interesting...but the editing was so atrocious. James Wan's direction tends to get borderline cartoony and unintenionally outlandish once his films get to the climax (as seen in Insidious Chapter 2

• Morbus

★★★★★ Rewatched by Morbus 06 Apr, 2014

Rewatched this after not seeing it in a few years. After the shit sequels I had almost forgotten how good this movie actually is.
    I just really love the overall morbid feel to this movie which it does so much better than the sequels. And the bathroom set, it looks disgusting and I love it.
    And then there's the ending with the leg sawing and the final plot twist that is still awesome after all these years.

It's not like this is a perfect movie or anything, it has it's flaws, but I'll give it a 5 stars anyway.

• cineedo
  • Sarah Collins

★★★★★ Rewatched by Sarah Collins 26 Mar, 2014 2

Cary your acting is painful, but all your sexual grunting and panting at one point was what made up for it. I still think Leigh Whannell is brilliant in this, I still love the story and everyone else involved with this beautiful and fantastic franchise.

• MasterRick

★★½ Watched by MasterRick 04 Oct, 2013

Buried somewhere in this is a pretty good horror movie. The scenes where the two heroes are trapped in the room, breaking down psychologically and trying to beat the villain’s game, are pretty potent, even if the acting isn’t always up to snuff. Had it stuck to just these scenes and played out all their possibilities, it could have made for a tense and inventive film. Unfortunately, it isn’t confident enough in the power of these scenes and expands to…

• fatpie42

★★ Watched by fatpie42 15 Nov, 2011

Best thing about this film? Danny Glover. Danny Glover is both able to embrace the silly factor of the movie while keeping up some serious proper actor gravitas. He not only pulled me in, but helped me to accept the shlocky nature of this film. The acting isn't bad in this film, but Danny Glover captures the mood and I think the film really needed him to be included in the cast in order to make this work.

Saw was…

• Stacy

★★★★★ Added by Stacy

This movie is close to my heart. It's hard to explain. I just love it, ok?