• Jeff Blickle

★★★★½ Watched by Jeff Blickle 19 Feb, 2005

This is when the franchise was good, before they turned it into a blood and guts fest. When it was just not just horror, but a thriller with a plot and a successful low budget film.

• Keith LaFountaine

★★★★ Watched by Keith LaFountaine 12 Oct, 2015

Day 12 - Watchlist Purge: Horror Edition

While certainly rough around the edges, Saw is surprisingly entertaining. James Wan most certainly knows his way around a horror film, and while the editing was a bit much at times, his directorial decisions enhanced the experience. And then there's that killer twist at the end which, while improbable, still was effective.

• DeepSearch

★★★ Rewatched by DeepSearch 11 Oct, 2015

Hadn't seen this since the original theatrical run. It's still a moderately effective horror film, but as I age I find myself losing patience with depictions of utter depravity. I probably won't watch it ever again.

• Kevin McKay

★★ Added by Kevin McKay

The concept of two strangers trapped in a deadly game as an outside force eats away at their psyches is compelling.
    The rest of the film is not.

Acting is hammy.
    Looks like a ADD violence-loving teenager edited the entire movie.
    Tonal inconsistencies. Never sure if I'm supposed to be terrified or genuinely pleased with what's going on. An entire sequence of exciting rock music plays as a woman tries to pry a death machine off her head.

• matthewmarkham

★★★★ Watched by matthewmarkham 08 Oct, 2015

Some really great scares here. Very poor acting in places, mostly from the very competent writer, Leigh Whannell. Great low budget scares.

• Ryne Moore

★★★★ Watched by Ryne Moore 07 Oct, 2015

• Molly Faust

★★★★ Watched by Molly Faust 06 Oct, 2015

This review reportedly contains spoilers. I can handle the truth.

An interlocking, elemental, slow burning puzzle film, Saw pieces each element out logically into the next. It uses emotional connective tissue of fear, sin, and distrust, but the blunt, physical resourcefulness on display between plot points is satisfying by itself, even with the tissue's intermittent success. Thus, the film itself operates like its core conceit of an elaborately constructed death trap, eventually taking on the facade of a breakdown only to have it revealed it was all under control all…

• PetriDish88

★★★★ Watched by PetriDish88 06 Oct, 2015

I was actually a bit impressed. I expected a run of the mill cheesy slasher, and got a psychological, diabolical plot, with an ending even I didn't see coming.

• Kira

★★★★ Rewatched by Kira 06 Oct, 2015

my family needs me

• STinG

★½ Rewatched by STinG 04 Oct, 2015

Oh god, fuck this movie. It's poorly-made (shot like somebody grabbed a turd and added a lens to it), poorly-written (convolutions all over the place within its flashback narrative and continuity issues), and nihilistic like a motherfucker.

It's bad attempt to Se7en and why people still try to praise it like a masterpiece is mind-blowing. Mind-blowing I tell ya.

• Liam Haber

★★½ Watched by Liam Haber 03 Oct, 2015

This review reportedly contains spoilers. I can handle the truth.

So Lawrence is smart enough to take his shirt off in order to cut the blood flow to his leg when sawing off his foot, but never considers using the same shirt to grab the ringing phone sitting really close by? I mean, think a little longer, doc. Or even use the shirt to get the gun!

I'm reading too much into this, aren't I?

• Matt Curione

★★★★ Rewatched by Matt Curione 05 Oct, 2015

Pixels & Reels Spooky Season

Great feature debut from current horror master James Wan. The low budget works to its advantage and the twists are well earned.

Does it owe a debt to Fincher's Se7en? Of course. Does that diminish its impact? Not one bit.