• Dan

★★½ Watched by Dan 14 Apr, 2014

‘Say hello to my little friend!’

‘Scarface’ is considered a classic amongst many a film goer, it has a great cultural impact and is a huge influence to the mob film genre. Nonetheless when I watched it I wasn’t really blown away by its content, to be honest I found it boring. Now maybe I am looking at this film retrospectively, I am so used to the specific tropes and themes used in the film that it seems cliché now,…

• Anthony

★★★★★ Watched by Anthony 14 Apr, 2014

One of my favorite movies of all time with some of the most recognizable lines in movie history, including my favorite: "You need people like me..."

• Chevalier

★★★★ Added by Chevalier

Yeah, this movie spawned the careers of dozens of terrible gangsta rappers who think they're so tough cuz they're from da streetz yo! Still, Scarface is a well directed crime epic with iconic moments and performances. We just don't get characters like Tony Montana anymore in the world of cinema.

• Carolinanz

★★★★ Added by Carolinanz

"Say hello to my little friend!"

• Filmjunkiejames

★★★★½ Added by Filmjunkiejames

This review reportedly contains spoilers. I can handle the truth.

• Beppo The Super Monkey

★★½ Rewatched by Beppo The Super Monkey 09 Apr, 2014

Scarface is exhilarating when it embraces its cinematic impulses but grinds to a halt when it's melodramatic nature presents itself, culminating in a loud and obnoxious sum zero work.

• Brandon

★★★★½ Watched by Brandon 07 Apr, 2014

If you've ever seen Howard Hawk's 1930s original Scarface, you can appreciate the work put forth by Brian DePalma on this 1983 remake. It's almost eerie how similar the two films are, granted a few major differences. The story arcs are practically identical; we see an immigrant coming to America escaping political turmoil, we follow his rise through an organization, his overtaking of the helm, and his downfall after succumbing to greed. DePalma explicitly shows the incestuous relationship between Gina…

• cineedo
  • Eric

★★★ Watched by Eric 31 Mar, 2011

Despite its shortcomings, one must admit that Scarface is one of the rare conceptually successful remakes. Updating the Depression-era Chicago setting to 1980s Miami in the aftermath of the Mariel Harbor boat lift, Brian De Palma and screenwriter Oliver Stone successfully give the movie new relevance while retaining the original’s anxieties regarding immigration. What they fail to do, however, is provide much of a counterpoint for this anxiety. While title cards enforce the fact that most of these Cuban immigrants…

• Scarface

Added by Scarface

In 1980 Miami, a determined Cuban immigrant takes over a drug cartel while succumbing to greed.

• washington

★★★ Rewatched by washington 25 Mar, 2014

Watching this for the first time in about a decade it's surprising how Psycho the violence is cut like. Even the chainsaw scene is just blood splatters and reaction shots. Restrained is probably not the right word for a three hour teaming of Stone and DePalma, but the movie kind of is. I suspect that effect mostly comes from DePalma sleepwalking the movie. There's a few establishing shots that make it clear who is behind the camera, but outside of…

• rakésh mohandas

★★★★★ Added by rakésh mohandas

Voyage of an illegal immigrant who lived the american dream bigger and at its best became a drug warlord of Miami.

Al Pacino is the heart and soul of the movie, his mannerisms are so striking that even after all these years i'vent seen anyone perform a character manifested in aggressive behavior with such ease.