• Avalanche

★★★★ Watched by Avalanche 30 Apr, 2016

This is an extremely well constructed exploration into the psyche of characters like Tony Montana (brilliantly played by Al Pacino). This is not so much a film about that actions that this character takes and the choices he makes, but rather the motivation and impact that those decisions and actions have on him and his own personally world.

There is a surprising amount of character driven drama throughout this film as various relationships between characters are developed and explored. It's…

• Gerry Maravilla

★★★★ Watched by Gerry Maravilla 27 Apr, 2016

Streaming. Netflix.

• Cole Bradley

★★★½ Rewatched by Cole Bradley 28 Apr, 2016

Best movie

• sjc4ye

★★★★½ Watched by sjc4ye 26 Apr, 2016 1

Crazy over the top gangster film, great central character and an interesting story

• JC13

★★★★★ Rewatched by JC13 25 Apr, 2016

"I'm Tony Montana! You fuck with me, you fuckin' with the best!"

Today is the great Al Pacino's 76th birthday. He's my favorite actor so to celebrate the occasion, I decided to rewatch one of my favorites: Scarface. I've watched a bunch of Brian De Palma films recently and though I've liked most of them, none of them compare to Scarface. From the fantastic camerawork, to the brilliant soundtrack, to the amazing cast Scarface is a masterpiece. It's nearly three…

• Sam Donchess

★★★½ Watched by Sam Donchess 24 Apr, 2016 2

Despite De Palma's perfect direction, the story simply couldn't hold my attention. Maybe it's the pinnacle story of the crime lord who had it all then lost it, but I've seen it done better since the film's release (The Wolf of Wall Street). I get that it's all excess, with the women and the drugs and the discos, but beyond that I had nothing to chew on. The technical aspects make it worth returning to... and I could even stand to see Pacino chew scenery more as Montana.

• Phoebe Dowling

★★★★★ Watched by Phoebe Dowling 23 Apr, 2016

Al Pacino's performance was absolutely flawless; how he made such a ruthless, gruesome, power-hungry gangster so funny, likeable and incredibly sexy is beyond me.

• KyleMint

★★½ Added by KyleMint

It's not Scarface or De Palma's fault that his film became most notably emblazoned on dorm room walls and became one of the de facto desktop wallpapers for Mr. Tough Guys who saw Tony Montana as merely a drug-fueled badass, but it does detract from the experience now. Can you imagine seeing Fight Club for the first time as an adult? I think this film suffers a similar fate. Maybe this is a shallow first appraisal. One day I'll give Mr. Montana another shot.

• Hector Tabora

★★★★★ Watched by Hector Tabora 23 Apr, 2016 1

"This town is like great big pussy just waiting to get fucked!"

God damn it is this movie a masterpiece. A great tale of what happens when you give a man who already has a criminal past (unlike the traditional money corrupts a good heart stories) more money, Scarface is rightfully hailed as a classic.
    It's a fun 3 hours to sit through, mostly because you don't ever feel the runtime. By the end of the 3 hour epic I just wanted more of this world.
    And this is the last time we saw a bad guy look that good let me tell you that.

• Ian W. Pugh

★★★★½ Rewatched by Ian W. Pugh 22 Apr, 2016

Tony is thrown out of his mother's house and launches into another lecture about Communist oppression; Gina contends that this is something that "Mama doesn't understand." Except Mama got to America first, years before Mariel Harbor--so how could she possibly not understand life under that regime? At first the character seems to be a simple apologia, but her counterpoint is crucial, stripping him of any excuse, explaining what he is and what she is not. Fucked up by Communism, only…

• Michel87

★★★★½ Watched by Michel87 13 Dec, 2009

I love De Palma version of this classic. Pacino's best perfomance in his career.

9/10

• Truman Segal

★★★★★ Watched by Truman Segal 19 Apr, 2016

Every day above ground is a good day.