• Brian Stack

★★★ Added by Brian Stack

From his Formula One debut in 1984 to his death at the 1994 San Marino Grand Prix, Brazilian motor-racer Ayrton Senna dominated the sport.

My knowledge of motor racing ends with NASCAR and the Indianapolis 500. Formula One is a mystery to me. I’m familiar with names like Michael Schumacher and Mario Andretti, but that’s the limit of my expertise.

I hadn't heard of Senna or his rival Alain Prost before. It was interesting to watch their rivalry develop, but…

• Sebastian Borrazas

★★★½ Watched by Sebastian Borrazas 22 Aug, 2015

Emotional and entertaining story. Still, it unnecessarily portraits some of the people as evil or unethical, which I do not agree with.

• Guy Incognito

★★★½ Rewatched by Guy Incognito 21 Aug, 2015

Alain Prost is a marvellous villain.

• Curty

★★★★ Added by Curty

What a great documentary about the best driver of all time. It´s brilliant to hear the voices of so many comrades and rivals. Also you can see the progress of safety in formula one.

• Sam Denyer

★★★★★ Watched by Sam Denyer 14 Aug, 2015

I don't follow Formula One, but this was an absolutely brilliant documentary: thrilling, informative, emotionally resonant and, crucially, a rounded, honest look at Senna. One of the best films I've seen in a long time.

• kriss_c

★★★★★ Watched by kriss_c 19 May, 2011

Angemessenes Portrait einer Legende.

• Taylor Kimmett

★★★★½ Rewatched by Taylor Kimmett 26 Jul, 2015

There's something oddly alluring and captivating about footage from the 80s and 90s. Kapadia's decision to replace the usual filmed interview format of documentaries with purely archival footage of races and interviews with Senna works greatly to enrich the storytelling. The world of Formula 1 seems very ripe with these sort of stories involving often tragic dedication to and pursuit of greatness, most likely because of the high stakes inherent to driving these remarkable machines. Senna's story, based solely on…

• Nuru

★★★★ Watched by Nuru 26 Jul, 2015

Hits you right in the feels. The way the film shows this was always a possibility- from the car, to the circuit, to Ayrton Senna's 100% commitment personality made the inevitable even more devastating.

• Rob Langham

★★★★ Watched by Rob Langham 23 Jul, 2015

Top Gear and the way people drive on Britain’s roads have taken the sheen off anything to do with cars for me - although in a previous era, I did follow Formula 1 to a degree. That period is captured brilliantly in this tremendous documentary, pieced together lovingly via archive footage and similar in approach to the director’s later, ‘Amy’.

The pre-race drivers’ meetings are particularly gripping along with the corruption and national bias present in the international organising body…

• gurududa

★★★★ Watched by gurududa 24 Jul, 2015

There is a lot to go, a lot to learn, a lot do, but I have plenty of time.

• Guzo

★★★½ Watched by Guzo 20 Jul, 2015

Tops :
    + Great Story, great man
    + Good work on showing old race footage in HD
    + Enjoyed the political aspect of F1 depicted
    + Ayrton Senna vs. Prost, the rivalry

Flops :
    - Some pacing issues : it goes from taking its time in the beginning to jumping time a lot towards the end
    - Interviews are very limited (family and journalists) and the analysis on the accident is quite limited

• J Money