• rippke

★★★ Watched by rippke 26 Mar, 2015

A classic study in verbal and nonverbal aggression.

• Craig Dawson

★★★★½ Watched by Craig Dawson 12 Mar, 2015

Brutal gangster Don Logan recruits "retired" safecracker Gal for one last job, but it goes badly for both of them.

I thought I had seen Sexy Beast years ago but I soon realised that I was wrong, but as a big fan of Under the Skin and an admirer of Birth I was looking forward to it. Sexy Beast is great, while it's a straightforward story there are enough stylistic flourishes to indicate what would come in the future.

First…

• David Gómez-Rosado

★★★★ Watched by David Gómez-Rosado 20 Mar, 2008

Kingsley packs some unnerving violent energy that can be mesmerizing. Beautiful photography.

• Steve Sandberg

★★★★½ Watched by Steve Sandberg 22 Mar, 2015 2

I expected something more like Snatch than Under the Skin, but Glazer's skills and artistry were already well-formed in his debut. Greatness.

• landskip

★★★★ Rewatched by landskip 20 Mar, 2015

A classic. Glazer's mise-en-scène is tightly controlled, a fine counterpoint to the chaos Don brings to blistering coastal Spain. And the second part of the movie also provides balance, its dark hues contrasting the sunny scenes that go before. Winstone and Kingsley are perfectly paired.

• wgkleberg

★★★½ Watched by wgkleberg 11 Mar, 2015

Sexy Beast is a stylish and memorable debut film from Jonathan Glazer. The film's strengths include its sharp dialogue, great performances, and stylized direction. Kingsley graces the film with an air of menace as the memorable Don Logan. Winstone and McShane are also give strong performances. Glazer's direction provides many inspired and inventive shots throughout. Scenes like the under water heist, the boulder fall, and the film's final scene show Glazer as a director capable of translating his unique work…

• ChadS101

★★★ Watched by ChadS101 07 Mar, 2015

What the hell language was this movie in? Even with the closed captioning on I still only understood about 50%. Anyhow, Ben Kingsley was great and carried this film. His performance alone is worth watching this movie.

• beekus

★★★½ Watched by beekus 17 Feb, 2015

British gangster films are always the most fun for some reason.

• emilio

★★★★ Watched by emilio 28 Feb, 2015

This is a slimmed-down recapitulation of the crime/heist film, eight years after the trend was set off by RESERVOIR DOGS in 1992.

SEXY BEAST mainlines a suppressed tension, personified in the struggle between the savage, spittle-hurling Ben Kingsley and a surprisingly contemplative Ray Winstone. The two are at odds about a job Winstone's character solemnly refuses when he isn't given an option to do so.

For a crime film especially, SEXY BEAST is succinct and astute, almost poetic. You feel…

• Craig Duffy

★★★★ Rewatched by Craig Duffy 04 Mar, 2015

Saw this when it was originally released at my local arthouse. I'd seen the reviews and was prepared to have my mind blown. What I saw was interesting but nothing spectacular. Had I missed something? Last night I decided that after 15 years it was time for a re-visit. So how did it fare this time? Slightly better. Not hindered by expectations I was better to take this movie for what it actually is, a highly stylized heist film. Lots…

• COBRARocky

★★★★ Watched by COBRARocky 05 Mar, 2015

U fucking wot m8?

• Leo Brady

★★★★½ Watched by Leo Brady 02 Mar, 2015

That Gandhi is a real jerk in this one. "Sexy Beast" is pure madness and it is another film that reminds us how our past will always find us. Always.