• Antonio Sanchez

★★★★ Added by Antonio Sanchez

So, I've seen this film about 5 times this year. I have no clear motivation as to why, but I did anyways. My verdict on the first viewing was not so enthusiastic. Many reviews have sold this film as a Ben Kingsley vehicle, so imagine my disappointment when I found out that he wasn't in this for long. It was because of the overwhelmingly positive reviews, I've decided to give this another chance. Needless to say, my verdict changed drastically.…

• Salim Ibrahim

★★★★½ Rewatched by Salim Ibrahim 17 Apr, 2016

Perfectly surrealistic when Ray Winstone dreams of being confronted by Black Mambo (exceptionally played in BlackFuRce by THE GRINCH) who ends up revealing himself as an Uzi clad cowboy.

• Cliff

★★★★½ Added by Cliff

So weird how there's half an hour of hilarious character comedy plonked in the middle of what is otherwise a taut, dark crime thriller. But that's what makes this film stand out.

I think Glazer's vice-like grip on the material loosens in the final ten minutes, but that's the only flaw in an otherwise perfect movie.

• Peter Scurr

Watched by Peter Scurr 14 Apr, 2016

To me the film felt like how it was about the push and pull between wanting a nice quiet life, and the things from the outside that can intrude on that, and how destructive that can be. I really felt for Gal, if I was having a big relax, I wouldn't want to be disturbed either.

• Joel

★★★★★ Watched by Joel 14 Apr, 2016 4

This is the first-time viewing that I desperately needed today, and few experiences following this in the immediate (and probably extended) future will live up to it. A sleek and stylish and visually dynamic genre effort? Sure, why not. And how, screenwriters Louis Mellis and David Scinto ask, about we throw in one of the most complex studies of the attitude and power dynamics of crime you'll ever see? That's where this film is elevated far above the potentially paper-thin…

• Jcherry5

★★★★½ Watched by Jcherry5 07 Apr, 2016

Apart from seeing Jonathan Glazer's most current project Under the Skin I practically went into this film blind. Nevertheless, I can confidently say that the gangster flick/crime flick Sexy Beast is another extraordinary piece of Glazer's ever growing resume.

This movie's plot is pretty straightforward Gal is a retired safecracker, who lives in the scorching hot bliss of rural Spain, with his wive and is content with chilling by the poolside of his villa. However, the unexpected arrival of the…

• mascineporfavor

★★★ Watched by mascineporfavor 03 Apr, 2016

Gran uso de ritmo y aprovechamiento del montaje para generar tensión.
    El montaje es espectacular, merece la pena analizarlo con detalle.

• Henrik

★★★ Watched by Henrik 30 Mar, 2016

A very clever and psychotic crime film. Kingsley, McShane, and Winstone are all brilliant. It takes a lot of unexpected turns along the way, and Glazer perfectly sets up all of them. Overall a damn good movie, though not one I’m likely to rewatch it anytime soon. It’s a bit slow and somber, but it’s still a solid technical achievement.

• Sean Scott

★★★★★ Rewatched by Sean Scott 30 Mar, 2016

Lyrical and real, tense and surprising. The greatest example of a first movie. An astounding performance by all. A script that cooks and cooks and cooks until it's perfect.

This is British filmmaking at its finest. It's a very smart affair where the best that can be said for it, is that everybody knows exactly what this movie is and they all pull together to make it something truly unique and special.

It is by far, on of my favourites.

• EvanstonDad

★★★½ Added by EvanstonDad

A sharp, quickly-paced thriller about a mobster's last job before quitting the life.

Ray Winstone is said mobster, and he's good. But he's up against Ben Kingsley's portrayal of the mob boss who gives him his orders, and Kingsley tears into the material like a junkyard dog. Trust me -- this performance will wipe away memories of his gentle, benevolent portrayal of Gandhi.

"Sexy Beast" is the kind of tawdry, well-crafted little B movie that falls through the cracks and is discovered on DVD or cable. See it for Kingsley's performance if nothing else -- it brought him a deserved Academy Award nomination.

Grade: B+

• Grant Meuers

★★★★½ Watched by Grant Meuers 22 Mar, 2016

Week by Week, Decade by Decade #46: God damn. Glazer's got style to spare.

• billrob23

★★★★½ Watched by billrob23 19 Mar, 2016

Watched this because Greg Proops said I should. It's been on my list for ages. Good flick. Tight and well done. Could have used subtitles, but watching free on YouTube does have its disadvantages.

Ray Winstone is super cool.