• Ronin

★★★½ Rewatched by Ronin 01 Aug, 2015

"Not this fucking time. No. No no no no no no no no! No! No no no no no no no no no no no no no! No! Not this fucking time! No fucking way! No fucking way, no fucking way, no fucking way! You've made me look a right cunt!"

• Michael Bishay

★★★★★ Watched by Michael Bishay 27 Jul, 2015

No. No no no no no no no no no! No! No no no no no no no no no no no no no! No!

• Derek Diercksmeier

★★★★★ Watched by Derek Diercksmeier 25 Jul, 2015 3

Fucking fantastic. British gangsters as done by an artist with Under The Skin in the back of his mind. All of the performances here are absolutely superb. Ray Winstone is riveting. Ben Kingsley is explosive. Amanda Redman captivated me. Sexy Beast combines the various pleasures of your typical British gangster film with the visionary style of Jonathan Glazer. It's one of the most accomplished debuts we'll ever see.

• Joshua David

★★★★ Watched by Joshua David 24 Jul, 2015

One of my favorite aspects of Jonathan Glazer's style - particularly considering his start in music videos and commercials - is his patience. This is a film ostensibly about a heist, but the heist is more a MacGuffin than anything; this is a vicious movie with a very endearing playfulness (I couldn't help but think of Lucky Number Slevin, a weaker film but one I enjoyed watching very much), about the struggle to be a good man against both temptation and threat. There are some moments where he gets a little too cute, but these are mostly quibbles around a very strong film.

• LoveofCelluloid

★★★½ Watched by LoveofCelluloid 17 Jun, 2015

Without Ben Kingsley's stellar performance, this would only be an okay heist thriller...

Full review located at:
    fortheloveofcelluloid.com/2015/06/17/sexy-beast-2001/

• ditte

★★★★ Watched by ditte 18 Jul, 2015

"Fan-dabby-doozy-tastic."

• Dan Grguras

★★★★ Rewatched by Dan Grguras 14 Jul, 2015

Glazer's MEAN STREETS. A story of repression with its homoeroticism left floating on the surface like leaves in Ray Winstone's pool.

Within ten minutes of being on screen, Kingsley pisses on his host's bathroom floor to mark his territory, but the act is redundant. He owns the movie from the second we see him.

• Zac Goldkind

★★★½ Watched by Zac Goldkind 10 Jul, 2015

Fun, sharp and always on it's feet, Glazer delivers a stylized gangster flick that begs the question: He made this and Under the Skin?

Sexy Beast, at least for the first hour, a small and well built film that was being strangled in it's own tension, but in a BDSM kind of way. We have characters with depth and excellent performances from everyone. The subtle nuances of each actor bring their character to life in the situation they found themselves…

• mrmonagle

★★★★★ Watched by mrmonagle 05 Jul, 2015

Ben Kingsley proves that acting, like any job, comes with long periods of half-assing and short bursts of brilliance. (HBOGo)

• Michael Stuhlman

★★★ Watched by Michael Stuhlman 05 Jul, 2015

Stylistic to the point of almost being overbearing but Glazer keeps things in check through the short runtime. The performances and dialogue are razor sharp, but the big issue in my mind is I've seen all this before from the genre. No amount of style is going to compensate for lack of originality. Definitely worth a single watch. Some of my friends love it.

• Dan Bremner

★★★★ Watched by Dan Bremner 04 Jul, 2015 2

Film 272 of my 2015 500 Film Challenge

"Gandhi Goes Bananas"

After Under the Skin, I had no idea what to expect with this. There was some nice abstract imagery and weird symbolism I didn't understand, which I liked.

It was a mostly straightforward film. Ray Winstone was surprisingly great and rises above the straight-to-DVD garbage he's known for these days. Ben Kingsley was amazing here, he was unhinged, unstable and definitely deserved his Oscar nomination for this.

I'm still…

• Kartik Singh

★★★★ Rewatched by Kartik Singh 03 Jul, 2015

One of my favorite genre movies: performances, use of camera, music, mood.

Kingsley's Don Logan is one of the all-time great movie characters.