• Roger Joseph Ebert

★★★★½ Added by Roger Joseph Ebert

Who would have guessed that the most savage mad-dog frothing gangster in recent movies would be played by--Ben Kingsley? Ben Kingsley, who was Gandhi, and the accountant in "Schindler's List," and the publisher in "Betrayal," and Dr. Watson in "Without a Clue." Ben Kingsley, whose previous criminal was the financial wizard Meyer Lansky in "Bugsy"? Yes, Ben Kingsley. Or, as his character Don Logan says in "Sexy Beast," "Yes! Yes! Yes! Yes! Yes." Logan spits the words into the face…

• Elias Elias

★★★★★ Added by Elias Elias

Just the acting by Kingsley… another level!

• James Christopher Lawrence

★★★★ Watched by James Christopher Lawrence 20 Apr, 2014

Hopper levels of screen chewing from Kingsley. The cinematic equivalent of kicking in a set of double doors with no top on. It's been over ten years since I last saw this. Absolutely superb

• the_narrator

★★★★½ Rewatched by the_narrator 18 Apr, 2014

It's rather remarkable how well Glazer handles the pacing here. For a first-time director, he seems keenly aware of how fast you can pace a movie without making it confusing or exhausting. It's about 85 minutes without credits, and yet it feels like it goes by in an hour. I still am in the greatly minority position of preferring Birth, but they work best viewed together, creating a portrait of the artist as a chameleon.

• Jack McPherson

★★★½ Watched by Jack McPherson 15 Apr, 2014

"Don: But quite frankly your attitude appalls me. It's not what you're saying. It's all this stuff you're not saying. Insinnuendos."

Absurdly well shot by Franzen but all life drains out of the picture when Kingsley isn't on the screen.

• Matt Suppes

★★★★★ Watched by Matt Suppes 17 Apr, 2014

In preparation for Under the Skin, I might as well watch one of Jonathan Glazer's other movies. And of course, it's like it was made specifically for me. And everyone else who want a movie that's mostly Ben Kingsley, Ray Winstone, and Ian McShane looking dour and saying "fuck" and "shit" and "cunt" a lot. It's wonderful.

• Eugene McCrann

★★★ Watched by Eugene McCrann 13 Apr, 2014

Watched ten minutes, thought about how Glazer’s music video background was informing everything, and then restarted it with subtitles. Now I can’t imagine watching it any other way. Dialogue, with the heavy cockney accents, is truly profane poetry, slurred and blended for affect, with unnatural repetition of phrases, Kingsley drubbing Winstone with “yes, yes, yes,” calling him a “fat crocodile… like fucking Idi Amin,” a fantastic insult if I’ve ever heard one. Pace is fast. Talk is fast. But these…

• TJ Duane

★★★★ Watched by TJ Duane 14 Apr, 2014

What's on the surface (what's sexy) v. what lies underneath (what's scary and demon-bunny-beast like).

Personal Note: I thought I'd leave this movie parroting Ray Winstone's accent, but, rather, I'm parroting Ben Kingsley's. Some of the best, most engaging scene chewing I've seen in A WHILE.

• stevenedwards

★★★★ Watched by stevenedwards 09 Apr, 2014

While this covers familiar territory (a retired criminal who is persuaded to come back for one last job) it does so in a way that kept you engaged at all times. While Kingsley got the majority of the awards attention at the time of release (and deservedly so, he is great as the motor mouth with no filter) and is terrifyingly unhinged throughout, it is Winstone who I thought was the high point here.

Usually playing a thug who spits…

• Baz Film

★★★★ Rewatched by Baz Film 12 Apr, 2014

"No! No no no no no no no no! No! No no no no no no no no no! No! Not this fucking time! No fucking way, no fucking way, no fucking way! No fucking way, you made me look a right cunt!"

Kingsley is hilariously terrifying. See above quote for proof.

• releasethebats

★★★★½ Rewatched by releasethebats 07 Apr, 2014

Insinuendos.

• Chevalier

★★★ Added by Chevalier

Don fucking Logan will rip your heart out, and make you watch while he eats and spits the whole thing in your face.