• beekus

★★★½ Watched by beekus 17 Feb, 2015

British gangster films are always the most fun for some reason.

• emilio

★★★★ Watched by emilio 28 Feb, 2015

This is a slimmed-down recapitulation of the crime/heist film, eight years after the trend was set off by RESERVOIR DOGS in 1992.

SEXY BEAST mainlines a suppressed tension, personified in the struggle between the savage, spittle-hurling Ben Kingsley and a surprisingly contemplative Ray Winstone. The two are at odds about a job Winstone's character solemnly refuses when he isn't given an option to do so.

For a crime film especially, SEXY BEAST is succinct and astute, almost poetic. You feel…

• Craig Duffy

★★★★ Rewatched by Craig Duffy 04 Mar, 2015

Saw this when it was originally released at my local arthouse. I'd seen the reviews and was prepared to have my mind blown. What I saw was interesting but nothing spectacular. Had I missed something? Last night I decided that after 15 years it was time for a re-visit. So how did it fare this time? Slightly better. Not hindered by expectations I was better to take this movie for what it actually is, a highly stylized heist film. Lots…

• COBRARocky

★★★★ Watched by COBRARocky 05 Mar, 2015

U fucking wot m8?

• Leo Brady

★★★★½ Watched by Leo Brady 02 Mar, 2015

That Gandhi is a real jerk in this one. "Sexy Beast" is pure madness and it is another film that reminds us how our past will always find us. Always.

• Alex Miller

★★★★★ Rewatched by Alex Miller 02 Mar, 2015

Such a great film. Love the surreal touch Glazer puts on this, it is a match made in heaven.

(apologies for the laziness in my writing lately [/lazier than usual]).

• Adam Arellano

★★ Watched by Adam Arellano 28 Feb, 2015

Given the high praise for Under the Skin and my affinity for Birth, I decided to go back and view Glazer's first film.

Unfortunately, I'm an outlier on this film. Ben Kingsley is handed the entire film and takes full advantage of that to chew the entire scenery and play to the rafters. Outside of great camera work to capture visuals, locations, and color, I was never invested in the storyline, mood, or resolutions.

• Colin Rinehart

★★★★½ Watched by Colin Rinehart 28 Feb, 2015

"Right, well, I've fucked you now haven't I?"

Jonathan Glazer is one of those rare directors who you can immediately recognize their work by their distinct style. If you're not completely transfixed by that opening scene then this isn't the film for you. Ben Kingsley and Ray Winstone both deliver incredible performances here, career highlights in fact thick British accents be damned. A wonderfully tense, atmospheric film that immediately captures your attention and then enraptures your emotions. Powerhouse performances from…

• James Reynov

★★★½ Watched by James Reynov 23 Feb, 2015

Very cool edited sequences that build up the film's tension, and some slick cinematography, this is a cool movie with many well done sequences and great acting, but the ending came up a little underwhelming for me.

• Alex Miller

★★★★★ Watched by Alex Miller 23 Feb, 2015 1

Holy fuck. Probably the best "one last job" movie I've ever seen. There needs to be more art-house neo-noir films in the world (and if there are, feel free to leave a comment as a recommendation).

• Damian Costanza

★★★★ Watched by Damian Costanza 23 Feb, 2015

Está claro que Don es ese puto canto que cae en la piscina por sorpresa y se estampa en medio de la vida tranquila de un gangster británico retirado en Almería.
    Genial la interpretación de Ben Kingsley, con ese acentazo cockney y haciendo de un gansgster que sin mostrarte un ápice de violencia explícita hace que se te encoja el ojete, si, Gandhi. A mi parecer una heist movie desprovista de glamour y con contrapunto gracioso, pero sin jugar en la misma liga de humor a la que acostumbramos en este tipo de tematica.

• Sarfaraz Abbasi

★★★★ Added by Sarfaraz Abbasi

Directed by Jonathan Glazer and written by Louis Mellis , David Scinto. Starring Ben Kingsley, Ray Winstone and Ian McShane. Film was made over budget of $6.0million. Ben Kingsley was nominated for Best Supporting Actor at Academy Award. A perfect performance from Kingsley filled with outstanding so-called comedic behavior.