• sprizzle

★★★★ Watched by sprizzle 23 Jul, 2014 2

Now this is a gangster film that will get under your skin.

This is the directorial debut from Jonathan Glazer, who many of you will know from this year's Under the Skin. Every quality that that makes UTS such a powerful film is present in Sexy Beast. It's just not fully developed yet. It's one of the best looking gangster films I've seen. One of the best British gangster films I've seen and something that makes sure it stands out…

• BreefEncounter

★★★★ Watched by BreefEncounter 18 Jul, 2014

This was such a tight script, with fantastic performances. An interesting and new take on the gangster film. Loved it.

• Mark Harrison

★★★½ Watched by Mark Harrison 20 Jul, 2014

The dialogue is sparklingly profane and the editing is beguiling and meticulous. Somehow, the overall effect left me cold, but this was well worth the eventual catch-up.

• Andrew Wertz

★★★★½ Watched by Andrew Wertz 19 Jul, 2014

One of my favorite quotes is "Brevity is the soul of wit"from Hamlet. I think it applies to film in general, especially when you compare it to TV. It's really astounding that one can make something so powerful in just a few hours.

Jonathan Glazer's debut Sexy Beast clocks in at a lean 90 minutes, and does so much in so little time. The main character- Ray Winestone's Gal- is almost the anti-gangster. He truly wants to be out, is…

• Sc8lo

★★★½ Watched by Sc8lo 01 Jul, 2014

The English Gangster movie is my least favorite type of movie. After my love of Under the Skin i wanted to see what this Director had to offer. Surprisingly enough a couple of little flourishes in this movie are used in a bigger scale in UTS. Other than that this is your basic gangster film. Until Ben Kingsley enters the movie. The movie is all about him. He turns the enjoyment level up in a big way. Highly recommended.

• Fredrik Fyhr

★★½ Watched by Fredrik Fyhr 16 Jul, 2014

To paraphrase a line from the movie - "If I really cared, if I really gave a solitary fuck about the characters..."

And if it wasn't just another gangster film going on a desperate detour to be not just another gangster film, finally reaching a point where really it's just a film about a bunch of mid-age slackers in Spain.

I watched this film to get better acquainted with Jonathan Glazer, now that UNDER THE SKIN is getting such good…

• Kiko Vega

★★★½ Rewatched by Kiko Vega 15 Jul, 2014

Sólo un tarado como Jonathan Glazer iría a rodar a la jodida Almería una peli de gángsteres británicos.
    La personalidad del director es innegable, sobre todo si tenemos en cuenta que por aquel entonces en su industria dominaba lo Guy Ritchie, y esta mierda está en las antípodas.
    Imágenes que se quedarán para una vida en nuestras cabezas y un conejo que deja en mal lugar a Donnie Darko y que nos recuerda que Glazer viene de donde viene.
    Un divertimento que tiene tanto de cine criminal británico de los setenta como de videoclip de Massive Attack. O sea, lo que tenía que ser.

• Ash_Clark

★★★★ Rewatched by Ash_Clark 12 Jul, 2014

Third viewing; have got more out of it each time.

• Devin Williams

★★★★½ Watched by Devin Williams 11 Jul, 2014

Sexy Beast (2000) Review. Jonathan Glazer might just become one of my new favorite directors. After having watched Under the Skin earlier this year and having watched his directional debut, Sexy Beast, I must say this is one interesting guy to watch. Sexy Beast is the story of Gal (Ray Winstone), a retired burglar who is pressured to give it one last shot by an old friend, Don Logan (Ben Kingsley). A large majority of the film has nothing to…

• TrellSpreewell

★★½ Watched by TrellSpreewell 14 Jul, 2014

yeah alright

• Cameron Rice

★★★★★ Watched by Cameron Rice 12 Jul, 2014

Watched for filmographies podcast.

• butterworth

Watched by butterworth 12 Jul, 2014

No había visto nada de Jonathan Glazer, y creo que no hay mejor manera de empezar que con esta. Un thriller de argumento manido pero con un fondo enrarecido y marciano; con una primera parte que parece un homenaje a Cul-de-sac de Polanski, y con un puñado de actores molones, pero donde ninguno puede hacer sombra a un desatadísimo Ben Kingsley. Por favor, señor Kingsley, olvida de una vez tus papeles tipo "La Lista de Schindler", olvida a Gandhi, olvida al jodido George Méliès y haz de hijo de la grandísima puta, que eso lo bordas.