• gestell

★★★½ Watched by gestell 30 Aug, 2015

"Criminals are funny" type of movie. You know like Thursday, Killing Zoe, Guy Ritchie's films, Breaking Bad et cetera. Something entertaining that moviegoer-without-perversions would like. "Noice movie, yay".

Released through Fox Searchlight, 21st Fox Century's subsidiary for independent and foreign films.

• ScreeningNotes

★★★★ Watched by ScreeningNotes 17 Aug, 2015 9

Just when I thought I'd seen it all (just kidding, obviously I haven't, I haven't even seen The Godfather Part II, it's a rhetorical device, try to keep up), Jonathan Glazer comes out with one of the most creative crime films of the new millennium. I went into Sexy Beast knowing nothing about it except that I absolutely loved Glazer's Under the Skin, and it put me so far on the edge of my seat wondering where it was going…

• Patrick Dunham

★★★★½ Watched by Patrick Dunham 17 Aug, 2015

Absolutely brilliant. This is an even better British crime film than The Long Good Friday and Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels. Not to discredit the two, but this one really blew me away for all of its separate filmic aspects assembling into total harmony. The speedy banter of the script is played excellently by the two leads, Ray Winstone and Ben Kingsley, and Kingsley completely dominates the film with his performance: he was nominated for both an Oscar and…

• Ethan Rosenberg

Watched by Ethan Rosenberg 16 Aug, 2015

Reservoir Dogs, Fight Club, and every other male-centric 90s action flick rolled into one and done a million times better. Smart, funny, shocking, masterful. Greatest title card of all-time.

• mbritt1

★★★★½ Watched by mbritt1 09 Aug, 2015

Have always loved British films - and crime dramas in particular - so this was right up my alley. Two things standout in this film: Ben Kingsley and Jonathan Glazer. First, Kingsley is dynamite in this movie. His portrayal of the villainous Don Logan is probably my favorite acting performance that I have seen of the great actor's. His movement and diction is charged with so much power and force that he literally bursts off the screen. Although his character…

• kike herrmann

★★★½ Watched by kike herrmann 09 Aug, 2015

Sexy beast
    Interesante película y un buen ejercicio de como una historia simple puede llevarse con gran destreza a la pantalla.
    La película engancha desde el principio y aunque no ocurren grandes cosas, está muy bien contada.
    Las interpretaciones son extraordinarias, quizás lo más destacado. La puesta en escena sencilla pero de gran impacto.
    Una película muy recomendable, de esas que me gustan, aquellas de sensaciones, de tensiones sin tener que desplegar grandes medios, simplemente ingenio.

• lavrego

★★★★ Rewatched by lavrego 06 Aug, 2015

Pelicula extraña, pousona, transmite a tranquilidade e pachorra do protagonista, pero esa tranquilidade de infarto. Esa que fai ver cara afora o que non se ve por dentro. Polo demais ten cousas brillantes e outras desagradables.

• vale90

★★★★ Watched by vale90 28 Jul, 2015

An astonishing underwater robbery scene highlights this amazingly staged and acted film. A must-see.

• Ronin

★★★½ Rewatched by Ronin 01 Aug, 2015

"Not this fucking time. No. No no no no no no no no! No! No no no no no no no no no no no no no! No! Not this fucking time! No fucking way! No fucking way, no fucking way, no fucking way! You've made me look a right cunt!"

• Michael Bishay

★★★★★ Watched by Michael Bishay 27 Jul, 2015

No. No no no no no no no no no! No! No no no no no no no no no no no no no! No!

• Derek Diercksmeier

★★★★★ Watched by Derek Diercksmeier 25 Jul, 2015 3

Fucking fantastic. British gangsters as done by an artist with Under The Skin in the back of his mind. All of the performances here are absolutely superb. Ray Winstone is riveting. Ben Kingsley is explosive. Amanda Redman captivated me. Sexy Beast combines the various pleasures of your typical British gangster film with the visionary style of Jonathan Glazer. It's one of the most accomplished debuts we'll ever see.

• Joshua David

★★★★ Watched by Joshua David 24 Jul, 2015

One of my favorite aspects of Jonathan Glazer's style - particularly considering his start in music videos and commercials - is his patience. This is a film ostensibly about a heist, but the heist is more a MacGuffin than anything; this is a vicious movie with a very endearing playfulness (I couldn't help but think of Lucky Number Slevin, a weaker film but one I enjoyed watching very much), about the struggle to be a good man against both temptation and threat. There are some moments where he gets a little too cute, but these are mostly quibbles around a very strong film.