• Mosh Graye

★★★★ Watched by Mosh Graye 30 Jul, 2014

I wasn't aware that Sir Ben Kingsley was capable of such things, but I'm glad to have been mistaken.

There's nothing more unsettling than a pair of middle-aged men, who live in picturesque Spain on the back of a previous life of crime, physically trembling at the utterance of a former colleague's name, and even still, at the mention of his boss.

And therein lies the strength of the film; relying so well on the actors to portray the drama…

• Selmara

★★★★★ Added by Selmara

χανομαι

• kid_diabetes

★★★★ Watched by kid_diabetes 28 Jul, 2014

Sexy Beast is a exhilarating and exhausting movie. The opening scene, paced by Peaches by the Stranglers, proves how easy it can be to succumb to an unstoppable force, as Gal comes within a few inches of becoming just another retired gangster crushed by a runaway boulder. Even after Gal avoids the tumbling rock, the boulder still proves to be an invasive presence, sitting at the bottom of his pool, smothering the interlocking hearts of Gal's perfect post-criminal life.

Ben…

• Noronen

★★★★★ Rewatched by Noronen 20 Jul, 2014

I just wanna eat calamari with Gal Dove.

• zkorpi

Watched by zkorpi 25 Jul, 2014

A great film for a first time director. Confident, stylish, and aggressive. It's a decent script which is obviously improved by the directing style. The shot choice, production design, and intercutting technique is pretty great. The story feels really slow though after a great start, and doesn't really deliver any more goods until the end. Glad I watched it, but I'll only watch it again for the style.

• scotts2323

★★★ Watched by scotts2323 25 Jul, 2014

I liked it, I just didn't understand what the hell they were saying half of the time. I think they couldn't agree on something. I think I liked it. Who the hell knows?

• feedingbrett

★★★★½ Watched by feedingbrett 25 Jul, 2014 2

Review In A Nutshell:

Sexy Beast is about a retired gangster, Gary 'Gal' Dove, living in Spain, who is suddenly visited by an old friend enticing him to do one more job with him.

This film's plot is quite simple, very little happens in this film as for about an hour of the film is primarily concerned with Don's proposition for Gal, but it never ever crosses the line of being uninteresting as Jonathan Glazer, the film's director, handles it…

• sprizzle

★★★★ Watched by sprizzle 23 Jul, 2014 2

Now this is a gangster film that will get under your skin.

This is the directorial debut from Jonathan Glazer, who many of you will know from this year's Under the Skin. Every quality that that makes UTS such a powerful film is present in Sexy Beast. It's just not fully developed yet. It's one of the best looking gangster films I've seen. One of the best British gangster films I've seen and something that makes sure it stands out…

• BreefEncounter

★★★★ Watched by BreefEncounter 18 Jul, 2014

This was such a tight script, with fantastic performances. An interesting and new take on the gangster film. Loved it.

• Mark Harrison

★★★½ Watched by Mark Harrison 20 Jul, 2014

The dialogue is sparklingly profane and the editing is beguiling and meticulous. Somehow, the overall effect left me cold, but this was well worth the eventual catch-up.

• Andrew Wertz

★★★★½ Watched by Andrew Wertz 19 Jul, 2014

One of my favorite quotes is "Brevity is the soul of wit"from Hamlet. I think it applies to film in general, especially when you compare it to TV. It's really astounding that one can make something so powerful in just a few hours.

Jonathan Glazer's debut Sexy Beast clocks in at a lean 90 minutes, and does so much in so little time. The main character- Ray Winestone's Gal- is almost the anti-gangster. He truly wants to be out, is…

• Sc8lo

★★★½ Watched by Sc8lo 01 Jul, 2014

The English Gangster movie is my least favorite type of movie. After my love of Under the Skin i wanted to see what this Director had to offer. Surprisingly enough a couple of little flourishes in this movie are used in a bigger scale in UTS. Other than that this is your basic gangster film. Until Ben Kingsley enters the movie. The movie is all about him. He turns the enjoyment level up in a big way. Highly recommended.