• KMOKLER

★★★★ Added by KMOKLER

Sexy beast is an awesome film its funny and has amazing performances from both ray Winstone (Scum, The Departed) and Ben Kingsley (Hugo, Shutter Island) who both give it their all in this movie. This is the first time ive watched sexy beast as i downloaded it to my laptop and I'm glad I did because after hearing pretty good reviews about the film some negative I ended up thinking it was fantastic and is better than most british Mafia…

• Grooveman

★★★★★ Rewatched by Grooveman 18 Oct, 2014

"You're the problem! You're the fucking problem you fucking Dr White honkin' jam-rag fucking spunk-bubble! I'm telling you Aitch you keep looking at me I'll put you in the fucking ground, promise you!"

Ben Kingsly based Don off of his grandmother. That's amazing!!

• Carlos

★★★★½ Added by Carlos

• Wouter De Bruycker

★★★★ Watched by Wouter De Bruycker 12 Oct, 2014

"Now I'm not saying this is gonna happen in the next couple of years, but it will happen. Oh it's definitely coming. Hairdressers are shittin' themselves."

Great stylish flick with fascinating characters and freakin' amazing dialogue.

• Dylan Brandsema

★★★★½ Added by Dylan Brandsema

The feature directorial debut of filmmaker Jonathan Glazer, Sexy Beast takes the cliched overused mafia movie formula of a gangster coming out of retirement for "one last job" and turns it on its ass. Even with a fan-fucking-tastic from veteran actor Ben Kingsley, and an A+ performance from Ray Winstone, Sexy Beast is kind of a hard movie to describe, but it's so awesome. It's funny, it's suspenseful, it's weird, has fantastic visuals, a great soundtrack, and even though there are some uneven pacing issues towards the end of the movie, it's still a great flick overall.

Overall rating:
    8/10

• Zachary Zahos

★★★ Watched by Zachary Zahos 10 Oct, 2014

The story here is next to nothing, which would be great if not for the second half's reliance on tropes — not just the heist, but the silent tension between Gal and Teddy, which is an effective macho device that goes nowhere imo. The film could have deconstructed its premise more, and the symbolism that does so is a bit ostentatious for my taste, yet it's hard to deny the final subterranean moments as anything but committed and hauntingly memorable.…

• Iain Dickie

★★★★★ Rewatched by Iain Dickie 09 Oct, 2014

The two best films I have watched this year Under the Skin and Sexy Beast were both directed by Jonathan Glazer.

Both visual treats but Sexy Beast is a more vocal film with a great script, and an iconic performance from Ben Kingsly, as villian Don Logan, the rest of the cast are all great and the reaction when they are informed Don is coming to town is priceless.

But why is Don coming to town? Well ex-con Gal has…

• Grimbo

★★★★★ Rewatched by Grimbo 09 Oct, 2014 4

I won tickets to see this at the GFT and a copy of Ray Winstone's book and for him to sign it, so I was pretty happy last night.

All this didn't cloud my judgement though, as Sexy Beast is a brilliant film. From Ben Kingsley's horribly real psychopath who won't take no for an answer to Ray's more sensitive criminal, the performances are superb.

In the Q&A Ray said he couldn't act but everyone in the theatre last night had just seen this film and knew he was being humble.

• Joe DiCanio

★½ Watched by Joe DiCanio 15 Feb, 2014

Rating: D+

• Chris Campbell

★★★★½ Watched by Chris Campbell 21 Mar, 2006

Unlike most people, I saw Jonathan Glazer’s Birth before I saw his Sexy Beast and I was pleasantly surprised and loved the film (as well as Birth). But Sexy Beast is quite a different beast indeed. It’s an odd mix of romance and ganster film with a remarkable supporting performance from the always watchable Ben Kingsley that almost overwhelms the entire film. I’m glad that I didn’t know a lot about the film and won’t spoil the fun for you…

• Martin Jensen

★★★ Watched by Martin Jensen 23 Sep, 2014

Shots were cool, editing was cool, Ray Winstone was good, but Ben Kingsley was utterly unbelievable, the kind of performance where you can see the actor thinking about every decision he's making and it just ended up being lesser than the sum of its parts.

• pyszny