• Aracno

★★★★ Watched by Aracno 10 Jul, 2014

“Cameron, what a surprise!”

Decent acting, unique and interesting camera angles, and a great musical score.

This definitely has a great concept and builds upon the suspense very well, but at the end, it doesn't quite feel "complete". There's just something missing.

Some of the characters feel very shallow and one-dimensional, especially Kerry Fox's character. There was a point in the film where she got really annoying.

However, the fact that this is Danny Boyle's directorial debut is very impressive.

Overall, Shallow Grave is a very solid suspense film with very impressive filmmaking elements and a very good direction by Boyle.

• Brent Paton

★★½ Added by Brent Paton

Creative and darkly funny.

• Burrito Science

★★★½ Added by Burrito Science

Wasn't sure what to think of this film.. At points it's great and other not so much. Danny Boyle is very hit or miss with me.. I'm gonna say this one is more positive. I think I just wrote a whole lot of nothing just now.. Meh

• robert_holly

★★★★ Added by robert_holly

Morbidly funny. All the ingredients of a Hitchcock film. Would make for a perfect double feature with Treasure of The Sierra Madre.

• Austin Gorski

★★★★ Watched by Austin Gorski 03 Jul, 2014

Some of the character motivations don't make much sense and the film is a little rough on the edges at times, but when you consider that it's Danny Boyle's first time directing, it's pretty damn impressive. And this is only the second film that Boyle has made that didn't have a somewhat disappointing third act (the other being 28 Days Later). One of his stronger efforts as a filmmaker.

• Zach Murphy

★★★★ Added by Zach Murphy

I liked this quite a lot - Danny Boyle is the man. Good recommend Rachel West!

• Richard Iliff

★★½ Watched by Richard Iliff 09 Jun, 2014

Shallow Grave follows three roommates after a new fourth roommate suddenly dies leaving millions of dollars, er, pounds in a suitcase. I watched this solely because it was a film directed by Danny Boyle that I've never seen. If you're looking for a movie with an interesting and twisting plot, this isn't it. This is more of a stylized character piece about what money can do to people. The problem is, it's just not very interesting. Yeah, money makes people paranoid and crazy, but this crazy? C'mon.

• PapaRock

★★★½ Watched by PapaRock 29 May, 2014

Shallow Grave can mostly be commended for being stylistic, lightweight, and sleek. Those are all elements I enjoy in smaller pictures, especially when dealing with a small-scope story. The actors all give good performances. Ewan McGregor has the chemistry of an up and coming movie star.

I guess my problem with it is that the characters' motivations don't really make much sense. I like that the movie mostly deals with their guilt and the aftermath of their actions but many…

• Jonathan Gadd

★★★★★ Watched by Jonathan Gadd 31 May, 2014

Cracking film, possibly the best directorial debut I've ever seen - the first of many fine films from the wonderful Danny Boyle. Great music, great acting (particularly from Eccleston, playing an increasingly unhinged accountant) and great cinematography - one especially memorable shot was from the inside of a cash machine. A fantastic watch

• Ellie Clem

★★★★ Watched by Ellie Clem 30 May, 2014

This is by no means a perfect film but it's thoroughly enjoyable. What better way to spend a Friday evening than watching three likable law-abiding characters spiral down a road of increasingly sinister actions after they take a risky immoral decision. Great performances from Eccleston, Fox, and McGregor. The deterioration of the three's relationship and the build up of paranoia was executed brilliantly, and I wasn't let down by the finale either. This is the first of Danny Boyle's work that I've properly seen and I'll definitely be coming back for more!

• Peter Zingg

★★★½ Watched by Peter Zingg 23 May, 2014

ALEX: But Juliet, you're a doctor. You kill people every day.

Bold use of color and camera lens (Brian Tufano, DP from Quadrophenia and A Life Less Ordinary) in Danny Boyle's yuppie Scot prequel to Trainspotting. Ewan McGregor's movie debut, and also an early outing by the great Peter Mullan (he had been in Ken Loach's Riff-Raff 3 years before).

Plot starts out off-beat but soon descends into your typical "clueless trio stumbles on a suitcase full of cash" comedy of compounded errors.

• Thomas Ringdal