• rambessy

★★½ Watched by rambessy 24 Apr, 2016

Rather odd though loved Ewan's long hair :)

• Liam McConnell

★★★★★ Rewatched by Liam McConnell 02 Apr, 2016

That is a nearly impossible question, but I would choose Danny Boyle's 'Shallow Grave.' This film is driven by a perfectly symbiotic relationship between proficient acting, a great script, beautiful cinematography and, above all, masterful direction. Boyle utilizes a brilliant contrast between physical colour and emotional tone: the darkest scenes happen in a spacious, flowery, brightly lit, and vibrantly coloured apartment. The emotional and mental degradation of the characters is accentuated by a score that is reminiscent of Kubrick’s ‘A…

• sebastian_drogo

★★★ Watched by sebastian_drogo 16 Apr, 2016

L'ipercinetico Danny Boyle contamina la commedia nera inglese con ammazzamenti efferati, litri di sangue e gore (anche se fuori quadro),
    dove il gioco è a perdere, e i tre giovanotti bombe pronte ad esplodere.
    Leftfield nella colonna sonora.

• Scout Cripps

★★★★ Added by Scout Cripps

Great low budget thriller.

• James Sansom

★★★★ Rewatched by James Sansom 05 Apr, 2016

Three flatmates find their fourth dead from an overdose with a suitcase of money under the bed. Rather than call the police they dispose of the body, and then start spending and turning on each other.

Danny Boyle's debut film is a triumph. An homage to Scorsese and the Coens while being wholly its own animal. Any plot holes that exist are paved over with an energy that few thrillers can match. For a debut, it's as incendiary as Tarantino's…

• Giacomo Dantini

★★★½ Watched by Giacomo Dantini 21 Mar, 2016

After watching Trainspotting the other night, I was so pumped by how much I liked that movie that I wanted to see more of Danny Boyle. So my choice was his directorial debut Shallow Grave, and man it was a right choice.

This is a movie with a pretty basic plot but is delivered at perfection, with great performances (Ecclestone in particular), fantastc camerawork, and an excellent pace. Unfortunatelly it was a little too predictable, but still very enjoyable.

• BradyTheGuy

★★★½ Rewatched by BradyTheGuy 27 Mar, 2016

Saw again with friends. Very satisfying Hitchcockian slow-burn thriller.

• hayley

★★★½ Watched by hayley 26 Mar, 2016

kink: ewan mcgregor in makeup xx

• ArizonaJim

★★★ Added by ArizonaJim

When this was released I couldn’t see what all the fuss was about: it was an efficient, slick thriller (very slick for a British film), set in a very cool apartment, but finally not that interesting. Since then Danny Boyle has become a phenomenon, often critically acknowledged as the leading British filmmaker of his generation, while some of his films are immensely popular – in a poll of audiences’ favourite Channel 4 films (the TV Channel 4 bankrolling much of…

• Victoria

★★★½ Added by Victoria

B-

• Robert

★★★★ Watched by Robert 19 Mar, 2016

An absolutely electric first film from director Danny Boyle. His style and touch is so clear from this picture, and it really makes me sad coming out of Jobs this year.

The score, the acting, the camera work -- it's all just so fun.

It's not much new in terms of story or theme I believe, sort of shallow if you will. But it's incredibly entertaining and layered, even if it's not particularly unique.

• Asti Prasetyo

★★★★ Watched by Asti Prasetyo 12 Mar, 2016

Wow, just wow. Slow terrifying psychological game. Amazing and convincing debut :)