• Lauren

★★★★ Watched by Lauren 01 Oct, 2015

"For you two to have a good time, we don't know the cost of that yet."

Oh wow. Eccleston was particularly excellent.

• ConnerRWood

★★★★ Watched by ConnerRWood 24 Sep, 2015

A solid thriller that has Danny Boyle written all over it. It's the debut of a masterful filmmaker.

• Bastiaan

★★★★ Watched by Bastiaan 24 Sep, 2015 2

3.9 stars

• Doug Dillaman

★★★ Rewatched by Doug Dillaman 21 Sep, 2015

First viewing in 20 years, maybe? Dunno when I saw it on VHS. Would have seemed super-human in its kineticism at the time, whereas now it plays merely as snappy. Boyle's always been swinging for the rafters, but the nastiness of his leads is difficult to swallow at points, and I'm not sure the big reveal is playing fair given how we see one character act whilst alone. Will be curious to revisit with commentary.

• Gage

★★★★ Watched by Gage 20 Sep, 2015

One of Danny's first films, this really shows the directors beautiful directions he takes especially with the spinning camera angles in the middle of the main room going from room to room by spinning the camera. Beyond on that you get great performances from everyone even the young Ewan Mcgregor who stands out as one of the roommates. Really solid dark comedy thriller, just shows that Danny Boyle has to be one of the most diverse directors of all time.

• Mike Scholtz

★★★★★ Rewatched by Mike Scholtz 14 Sep, 2015

The next time you watch Shallow Grave, imagine that the film is all an elaborate plot set in motion by Cameron, the prospective flatmate who is rejected at the beginning of the film, played by Colin McCredie.

Here is Cameron's master plan, more or less:
    1) Send Hugo to live at the flat with a suitcase of money.
    2) Kill Hugo.
    3) Wait to see what the flatmates decide to do with the money.
    4) Follow the flatmates and see…

• Matthew E. Ryan

★★★★★ Rewatched by Matthew E. Ryan 12 Sep, 2015

"The goal is to lose a million."

This movie is pretty ridiculously great for a first feature. Danny Boyle will never be one of the greats but this is an astounding movie.

• Jye Briscoe

★★★½ Watched by Jye Briscoe 11 Sep, 2015

Danny Boyle's proper directorial debut is a good one. Shallow Grave manages to be a captivating and twisty film, with great performances from the three leads, who were all relatively unknown at the time.

However, I did think the third act was slightly less engaging than the two before it, but it's still definitely worth a watch.

• Mario Waller

★★★★ Added by Mario Waller

Can't believe I've never watched this before now

• Matt Wooldridge

★★★½ Watched by Matt Wooldridge 28 Jan, 1995

1995 Movielog #12

A great indie thriller that has three friends pushed to their limits as their lives are changed with the appearance of a large sum of money. Danny Boyle, in his feature debut, injects the story with a sense of playfulness but also a lot of tension as the running time increases. McGregor is wonderful and Eccleston hilariously good. It would be a mistake to call this film 'fun', but as dark as it gets, it is enjoyable on some morbid level.

• GumboGumbo

Watched by GumboGumbo 29 Aug, 2015

Jarrett Duncan Memorial Film Challenge
    15/30 A movie with Grave in the title

Didn't really work for me. Boyle's films are hit and miss for me. This missed. Is it more virtuous to blame myself? Mom?

Thought the score was poor. Bad thriller shit kills me. I couldn't connect with the cartoon anxiety. Has some pepper.

• Connor

★★★★½ Added by Connor

This is another amazing directorial debut. Danny Boyle proves that he can direct with this gem. What a great and suspensful yet funny flick. I loved Ewan McGregor in this movie. Probably one of my favorite endings in a film.