• Atlinator

★★★ Rewatched by Atlinator 08 Sep, 2014

I thought this was great fun back in '95, but then again I was 11. It's still fun and stylish and the three leads are excellent, especially McGregor, and I would say it's a fine "calling card" movie for Boyle (even though he was nearly forty at the time). But man, are these characters not remotely convincing for a second. All of their actions seem strictly motivated by the scriptwriters contrivances, in fact the whole script is just a collection of contrivances. But Boyle's enough of a visual stylist to hold your attention. Judging from this and Trance, "plot" movies are not really his strong suit.

• Lowbacca

★★½ Watched by Lowbacca 22 Jul, 2014

I never really got a solid grounding during this film, and I think that ended up undermining its effectiveness. The concept relies, I presume, on the concept of three friends getting mixed up into something, but they never really seem like friends in how they act, only in what they say. It's a bit of a dichotomy that meant that I wasn't as enveloped because on some level, all the interpersonal interactions felt a bit fake.

Beyond that, the film…

• Princess Of Darkness

★★ Added by Princess Of Darkness

Whut?

• MatthewLB

★★★★ Watched by MatthewLB 28 Aug, 2014

Shallow Grave is a dark comedy and Danny Boyle directed this movie well.

• Chris

★★★★ Watched by Chris 25 Aug, 2014

Dark, funny, witty and the perfect dry run for the later masterpiece of Trainspotting.

• rossboyask

★★★★ Rewatched by rossboyask 24 Aug, 2014

Fantastic still. Also, where's THIS Ewan MacGregor been? He's ace!

• ScottPhillips

★★★ Added by ScottPhillips

The debut film of Danny Boyle is both an homage to Hitchcock and a dark comedy. Beginning with a group of friends finding a large sum of questionable cash, events quickly spin out of control as they discover there is no honor among thieves.

• Jake Cooley

★★★★★ Watched by Jake Cooley 10 Aug, 2014 1

i almost didn't watch it because of the stupid cover. that staircase isn't even in the fucking movie.

• Ben Bronsink

★★★ Watched by Ben Bronsink 07 Aug, 2014

I wish I connected with Danny Boyle more. Had I seen this before I knew his other work I would have been very excited about his potential as a filmmaker. He is a brilliant visual artist. Still, I have trouble connecting with his characters. Apparently I'm not the only one, as that seems to be a common complaint.

There are a hundred other movies like this, but this is as good as they are (except Treasure of the Sierra Madre and A Simple Plan of course).

• Aracno

★★★★ Watched by Aracno 10 Jul, 2014

“Cameron, what a surprise!”

Decent acting, unique and interesting camera angles, and a great musical score.

This definitely has a great concept and builds upon the suspense very well, but at the end, it doesn't quite feel "complete". There's just something missing.

Some of the characters feel very shallow and one-dimensional, especially Kerry Fox's character. There was a point in the film where she got really annoying.

However, the fact that this is Danny Boyle's directorial debut is very impressive.

Overall, Shallow Grave is a very solid suspense film with very impressive filmmaking elements and a very good direction by Boyle.

• Brent Paton

★★½ Added by Brent Paton

Creative and darkly funny.

• Burrito Science

★★★½ Added by Burrito Science

Wasn't sure what to think of this film.. At points it's great and other not so much. Danny Boyle is very hit or miss with me.. I'm gonna say this one is more positive. I think I just wrote a whole lot of nothing just now.. Meh