• Oscar Rosales

★★★½ Watched by Oscar Rosales 19 Apr, 2014

Showcasing a style than he later perfected in Trainspotting, Danny's Boyle direction is what makes the film. There's nothing bad per se with the script but it would have been nothing without the confident hands of Boyle. Whlist the film does have its unrealistic characters and characters' decisions, the actors have the talent and chemistry enough to make it a banal complaint.

I didn't like the nihilistic ending, and it always promises more than it delivers, but Boyle's debut is so filled with energy and grace to make this a perfect 90-minutes slice of thrilling entertainment.

• Oliver Greenall

★★★★ Watched by Oliver Greenall 16 Apr, 2014

One hell of a debut from Danny Boyle. Brilliant.

I reckon that guy will go places.

• cineedo
  • Charlie Derry

★★★½ Watched by Charlie Derry 06 Apr, 2014

Shallow Grave quickly goes from hilariously funny to awkwardly intense when three friends are faced with a moral dilemma. Whilst not particularly likeable on their own, their actions are believable and their deteriorations are portrayed well. Overall, a great debut from Danny Boyle.

• Fawndolyn

★★★★★ Watched by Fawndolyn 30 Mar, 2014

The Danny Boyle and John Hodge team never fail to amaze me. It's like being a long-term house guest forced to listen awkwardly from the couch while the couple you're staying with have a huge fight out in the kitchen... about you.

Chris Eccleston's performance was eerie as fuck, while the other two delivered their usual awesomeness. I really do love these early Ewan McGregor movies. And Chris Eccleston has amazing eyes.

• Logan Jones

★★★★ Watched by Logan Jones 22 Mar, 2014

Danny Boyle is a director who really knows how to make you feel uncomfortable. He has only made one obvious horror film in his career, but many of his other films have moments or elements that are horrific. Shallow Grave is no different. It's a comedy so dark that it begs the question as to whether it's actually a comedy. Sure, there are some darkly funny one-liners ("I've never seen a dead body before. I saw my grandmother, but I…

• JaumeMuntane

★★★½ Watched by JaumeMuntane 10 Mar, 2014

Saps aquella sensació de "està bé, però podria haver estat molt millor?" Doncs això mateix.

• Tyler

★★★★ Watched by Tyler 09 Mar, 2014

Really awesome film. Kind of lagged in the middle a bit, but the last 25-30 minutes were really killer. Definitely loved this film, but it's Danny Boyle so i'm not surprised.

• JayKay99

★★★ Watched by JayKay99 07 Mar, 2014

First 30 minutes were superb, brilliant dialogue, funny and a very charismatic performance from Ewan Mcgregor. But the rest of the film was a real mess for me, the tone was all over the place and the story got out of hand. Good ending but I was left disappointed after such an excellent opening.

• Mike P

★★★★ Watched by Mike P 03 Jun, 2013

Things got a bit out of hand...

• Boost

★★★½ Rewatched by Boost 27 Feb, 2014

Impressive Boyle debut.

• Pignut

★★★★½ Added by Pignut

I like my horror/thriller/comedies like I like my coffee: strong, dark and classy and with Ewan McGregor in them. No, hang on.

This film isn't about death, or what to do when you have to hide a corpse - it's about people, and what money, guilt and paranoia do to friendships. The dynamic between the three main players is exceptional, with tensions we can only guess at bubbling under the surface in every scene. The real gore and horror happen inside your head, not on-screen, and the soundtrack is lovely.