• MatthewLB

★★★★ Watched by MatthewLB 28 Aug, 2014

Shallow Grave is a dark comedy and Danny Boyle directed this movie well.

• Chris

★★★★ Watched by Chris 25 Aug, 2014

Dark, funny, witty and the perfect dry run for the later masterpiece of Trainspotting.

• rossboyask

★★★★ Rewatched by rossboyask 24 Aug, 2014

Fantastic still. Also, where's THIS Ewan MacGregor been? He's ace!

• ScottPhillips

★★★ Added by ScottPhillips

The debut film of Danny Boyle is both an homage to Hitchcock and a dark comedy. Beginning with a group of friends finding a large sum of questionable cash, events quickly spin out of control as they discover there is no honor among thieves.

• Jake Cooley

★★★★★ Watched by Jake Cooley 10 Aug, 2014 1

i almost didn't watch it because of the stupid cover. that staircase isn't even in the fucking movie.

• Ben Bronsink

★★★ Watched by Ben Bronsink 07 Aug, 2014

I wish I connected with Danny Boyle more. Had I seen this before I knew his other work I would have been very excited about his potential as a filmmaker. He is a brilliant visual artist. Still, I have trouble connecting with his characters. Apparently I'm not the only one, as that seems to be a common complaint.

There are a hundred other movies like this, but this is as good as they are (except Treasure of the Sierra Madre and A Simple Plan of course).

• Aracno

★★★★ Watched by Aracno 10 Jul, 2014

“Cameron, what a surprise!”

Decent acting, unique and interesting camera angles, and a great musical score.

This definitely has a great concept and builds upon the suspense very well, but at the end, it doesn't quite feel "complete". There's just something missing.

Some of the characters feel very shallow and one-dimensional, especially Kerry Fox's character. There was a point in the film where she got really annoying.

However, the fact that this is Danny Boyle's directorial debut is very impressive.

Overall, Shallow Grave is a very solid suspense film with very impressive filmmaking elements and a very good direction by Boyle.

• Brent Paton

★★½ Added by Brent Paton

Creative and darkly funny.

• Burrito Science

★★★½ Added by Burrito Science

Wasn't sure what to think of this film.. At points it's great and other not so much. Danny Boyle is very hit or miss with me.. I'm gonna say this one is more positive. I think I just wrote a whole lot of nothing just now.. Meh

• robert_holly

★★★★ Added by robert_holly

Morbidly funny. All the ingredients of a Hitchcock film. Would make for a perfect double feature with Treasure of The Sierra Madre.

• Austin Gorski

★★★★ Watched by Austin Gorski 03 Jul, 2014

Some of the character motivations don't make much sense and the film is a little rough on the edges at times, but when you consider that it's Danny Boyle's first time directing, it's pretty damn impressive. And this is only the second film that Boyle has made that didn't have a somewhat disappointing third act (the other being 28 Days Later). One of his stronger efforts as a filmmaker.

• Zach Murphy

★★★★ Added by Zach Murphy

I liked this quite a lot - Danny Boyle is the man. Good recommend Rachel West!