• Carlos

★★★★ Added by BazbauersT

EXTREAMELY PLEASENT TO WATCH

• ShotbyShe

★★ Watched by ShotbyShe 30 Sep, 2014

Weird plot; massive ridiculous overacting; only real action conflict is in the end; eighty-eight minutes feels like 888 minutes. Completely boring and pointless throughout. I’ll curse my co-worker forever for making me watch this.

• Éloïse Thompson

★★★★ Watched by Éloïse Thompson 30 Sep, 2014

In what ressemble Trainspotting's style, Danny Boyle is truly impressive in his first effort as a director!
    He builds up the tension like nobody can.
    This is absolutely great :)

• Tom Ward

★★★★ Watched by Tom Ward 21 Sep, 2014

Danny Boyle's first film is darkly comic, taking its three leads on a ride of guilt, jealousy, greed and murder. Eccleston steals the show and Boyle showcases early hints of where his work would eventually take him. A wonderful debut.

• Luke Grima

★★★★ Watched by Luke Grima 18 Sep, 2014

Haven't seen this years. In fact, I don't think I had seen it properly until now. Boyle's debut is a fantastic 90 min bit of cinema with some of his great Boyle-isms.

• Atlinator

★★★ Rewatched by Atlinator 08 Sep, 2014

I thought this was great fun back in '95, but then again I was 11. It's still fun and stylish and the three leads are excellent, especially McGregor, and I would say it's a fine "calling card" movie for Boyle (even though he was nearly forty at the time). But man, are these characters not remotely convincing for a second. All of their actions seem strictly motivated by the scriptwriters contrivances, in fact the whole script is just a collection of contrivances. But Boyle's enough of a visual stylist to hold your attention. Judging from this and Trance, "plot" movies are not really his strong suit.

• Lowbacca

★★½ Watched by Lowbacca 22 Jul, 2014

I never really got a solid grounding during this film, and I think that ended up undermining its effectiveness. The concept relies, I presume, on the concept of three friends getting mixed up into something, but they never really seem like friends in how they act, only in what they say. It's a bit of a dichotomy that meant that I wasn't as enveloped because on some level, all the interpersonal interactions felt a bit fake.

Beyond that, the film…

• Princess Of Darkness

★★ Added by Princess Of Darkness

Whut?

• MatthewLB

★★★★ Watched by MatthewLB 28 Aug, 2014

Shallow Grave is a dark comedy and Danny Boyle directed this movie well.

• Chris

★★★★ Watched by Chris 25 Aug, 2014

Dark, funny, witty and the perfect dry run for the later masterpiece of Trainspotting.

• rossboyask

★★★★ Rewatched by rossboyask 24 Aug, 2014

Fantastic still. Also, where's THIS Ewan MacGregor been? He's ace!