• Xplodera

★★★★½ Rewatched by Xplodera 19 Sep, 2014

This movie does with sex what ”127 Hours” did with adventuring.

• Andrew Hurley

★★★½ Added by Andrew Hurley

An interesting look at a sex addict. Not always the most comfortable movie, and I didn't love where it ultimately left off...but compelling nonetheless.

• JC13

★★★★½ Watched by JC13 07 Sep, 2014

"We're not bad people. We just come from a bad place."- Sissy

Director Steve McQueen's second feature film is powerful to say the least. I always wanted to see this because the trailer made it look great, plus I love Michael Fassbender. Fassbender was of course brilliant in perhaps his most dedicated and demanding role to date. He deserved an Oscar nod in my opinion, but this film was overlooked most likely because of its NC-17 rating (which I've always…

• Logan B. Anderson

★★★★½ Added by Logan B. Anderson

A draining and powerful motion picture that doesn't explore sex as much as it explores people and the baggage be bring along with us, and whether we allow ourselves to be controlled by those memories and problems. Michael Fassbender is a fantastic actor when he is given a role where he has to invent a performance, and his role as Brandon has him going to places that feel like their lowest lows. Fantastic picture.

• femesmo

★★★★★ Watched by femesmo 20 Jul, 2014

Very nice this film! Steve Mcqueen is really a great director!

• Chiddaling

★★★★ Watched by Chiddaling 15 Sep, 2014

A disturbing and sad story of a man so controlled by his desires that when something interrupts it, he loses control. Michael Fassbender put on a great performance in Shame along with his co-star Carey Mulligan. The cinematography, writing, and directing were all wonderful in this movie. I was slightly overwhelmed and bored with the gratuitous amounts of nudity and sex scenes which is odd considering the plot of this movie. I felt that some of these scenes went on a bit too long and I just lost attention. Overall, a great movie with some impeccable performances.

• Naughty

★★★★ Watched by Naughty 15 Sep, 2014 5

Films about addictions are not my cup of tea as I prefer escapism over realism so I wasn't really expecting much from the film going in! But it didn't take long for me to realize this was not your average film about addiction!

This was something very special indeed! Of course Steve McQueen's directing skills were impeccable and above reproach but in the end it was Michael Fassbender's powerhouse performance that won my undying respect and admiration!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Film was recommended via my Movie Request Hotline list by Sir William of Letterboxd! Thanks Will for this wonderful request!

• funsohng

Added by funsohng

McQueen perfectly captures the cold skyline of New York in this exceptional examination of addiction, loneliness, and twisted human relationships.

• Dirk van Eck

★★★★ Watched by Dirk van Eck 14 Sep, 2014 3

2011 was a great year for Carey Mulligan lovers like myself, since she not only had a sexy romance with Ryan Gosling in ‘Drive’ that year, but also played the playful sister of The Fass in Steve McQueen’s ‘Shame’. Brandon - the character played by mister Fassbender - lives sort of a double life as he is not only a successful executive, but a sex addict as well. When his sister moves in with him, he struggles to keep this…

• John Connor

★★★★ Watched by John Connor 21 Feb, 2012

Fassbender is brilliant in this portrait of Brandon, a self-loathing sex addict. He's matched by Mulligan and Beharie (who I've never seen before, but who was magnificent in her three long scenes), but unfortunately Dale, as Brandon's louche boss, felt all wrong to me, playing way too broad. The direction is elegant, though at times it feels inorganic and overly studied --- and there are shots (and some entire scenes) that we stay with way too long. But still, it's a spiky, daring piece of cinema, and includes a handful of moments of genuine brilliance.

• nikae

★★★★ Added by nikae

We are not bad-then why are we this lonely?

• Gonçalo

★★★★ Watched by Gonçalo 10 Sep, 2014

Brilliant character study. I'm becoming a true fan of the works of Steve McQueen. He impresses me with every film he makes. One of the best directors working today.