• christianbale

★★★★½ Watched by christianbale 09 Oct, 2015

Steve McQueen’s second collaboration with Michael Fassbender is one of quality. The film hits every mark. The haunting score, the stunning cinematography that shows the emptiness of the world. The lack of dialogue creates a distance, yet never makes the film dull. It is captivating and cold, hard and heavy. Both Fassbender and Mulligan are electrifying in their roles. A very good film, about a very difficult subject.

• Craig Dawson

★★★ Watched by Craig Dawson 03 Sep, 2015

In New York City, Brandon's carefully cultivated private life -- which allows him to indulge his sexual addiction -- is disrupted when his sister arrives unannounced for an indefinite stay.

I certainly didn't like Shame, but didn't like it as much as a lot of people do. The performances from Fassbender and Mulligan and the film-making are good enough to give it a positive score but it never really grabbed me like a good character drama should do.

Maybe it…

• Reid Sweatt

★★★★ Added by Reid Sweatt

Shame displays Steve McQueen as a powerhouse filmmaker. A film about sex addiction may turn people in the opposite direction, but the message that Shame conveys is important. It is a dour film, and while I never want to see it again, it excells in being able to convey what it needs to, without feeling over-exaggerated.

• Mark Granados

★★★★½ Added by Mark Granados

Thanks to the stellar direction by Steve McQueen, some phenomenal performances by Michael Fassbender and Carey Mulligan, a haunting score that fits the overall tone, Shame is a brutally honest and uncompromising portrayal of sex addiction that can be a difficult watch at times. However, with that being said, it is still a near-perfect work of cinema in my eyes.

• Niva

★★★★ Rewatched by Niva 05 Oct, 2015

eu ja vi esse filme quatro anos atras e nao achei la essas coisas mas agora to aqui jogada no chão

se tem uma coisa que eu gosto é filme em que se fala demais ou q nao se fala

• Luca Lagerstrom

★★★★★ Rewatched by Luca Lagerstrom 04 Oct, 2015 1

This review reportedly contains spoilers. I can handle the truth.

Steve McQueen has an excellent way of directing. When Fassbender jogs and how the camera moves and the heated argument between two characters and the placement of the camera is interesting. I think, if he had made three more films, he might potentially be my favorite director.

What is Shame about?

Shame examines the nature of need, the way we live our lives and the experiences that shape us. It is so powerful and moving and the music puts everything…

• Patrick Mulcahy

★★★ Watched by Patrick Mulcahy 10 Dec, 2011

Shame, the second film by artist-turned-film director Steve McQueen, is nominally about sex addiction. Brandon (Michael Fassbender) is a New York executive of some description – I couldn’t work out what he did for a living, who he did for a living, yes, but not what – who has an eye for the ladies. If he cannot seduce woman on the subway, he consorts with a prostitute. If prostitutes are unavailable, he logs on for an X-rated web chat. If…

• Ana F Torres

★★★★ Watched by Ana F Torres 04 Oct, 2015

Me encantan las tomas azules.
    Me encanta Michael Fassbender.
    Me encanta Carey Mulligan.
    Me encula Michael Fassbender.

Did I mention I love Michael Fassbender?

• CodyTriplett

★★★★★ Added by CodyTriplett

Relentlessly desolate. One of the most powerful films I've ever seen. Deals with sex addiction in one of the most real and dark ways possible. I have never seen so many lonely characters. Fassbender is unreal.

• Dan

★★★★ Added by Dan

I really didn't need to see his penis

• Kevin White

★★★★ Watched by Kevin White 02 Oct, 2015

Devastating and beautifully shot and acted. So glad I finally caught up with this one.

• Ben Davis

★★★ Watched by Ben Davis 01 Oct, 2015

For such a renown director, stacked cast, and heavy subject matter I was simply left wanting more exploration. Although, if the point was to make the audience as numb and apathetic as Fassbender... it worked.