• Steven Savona

★★★★½ Rewatched by Steven Savona 21 Dec, 2014

Pulses with a raw, cathartic resonance. In turns a sexy and tragic meditation on power dynamics. Fassbender is phenomenal.

This was my second viewing and my rating has dropped by half a star. Nonetheless, this is still one of the best films of the post-2000 era.

• Chopperfireball

★★½ Watched by Chopperfireball 20 Dec, 2014

What did we learn? What should we conclude?

The answer is nothing. A pointless film.

• Ayden Crumpton

★★★½ Watched by Ayden Crumpton 18 Dec, 2014

If you wanna see Mr. Fassbender lick a butthole, look no further.

• Ed Glendenning

★★★★ Rewatched by Ed Glendenning 15 Dec, 2014

A sharply photographed feature with a suitably sterile aesthetic. McQueens best in my opinion.

• Guzco

★★½ Watched by Guzco 15 Dec, 2014

Unintentionally the second movie in a row about addiction I've seen. Some really odd scenes in this one. It's pretty depressing, even more so as it progresses. I did really like some parts but this kind of movie isn't my thing.

• Lennart Schoors

★★★½ Watched by Lennart Schoors 12 Dec, 2014

This movie is almost as bare as Brandon's own life. A couple of really engaging and gripping scenes, coupled with some masterly film making, but ultimately a bit too empty for my taste.

• oobawa

★★ Watched by oobawa 09 Dec, 2014 2

I honestly don’t know what to make of Steve McQueen.

After watching 12 Years a Slave, I was ready to declare the man a master filmmaker, gifted with an ability to create compelling cinema through classically minimalist tastes. The man loves his long takes, adores a static camera shot, appreciates the importance of allowing actors to simply act. His stylistic choices seem to be made from a critic’s list of dream directorial traits, and his background as a visual artist…

• BTU

★★★★ Added by BTU

Unflinching, raw and devastating in its portrayal of sexual addiction.
    It brought home to me the old axiom the an addiction is really a war on desire with the end goal of murdering it in the end. This film is a cautionary tale depicting that sad dehumanizing journey. A griping watch even if there was no clear victory, or redemption.

• Ben G

★★★★★ Rewatched by Ben G 03 Dec, 2014

During the press circuit for SHAME, Steve McQueen discussed a distinctive characteristic of sex addiction compared to other forms of dependency: how it can only be satiated through an interaction with another person. When you're Brandon, scarred by childhood trauma, grappling with intense self loathing, a lack of empathy towards others and a need for instant gratification, it can make life, however "comfortable", close to unbearable. Steve McQueen directs his second feature with incredible confidence and purpose. He often shoots…

• Claudia

★★★★½ Watched by Claudia 10 Dec, 2014

I think the most wonderful thing about this film was the editing, especially in the beginning. It montages shots together, shifting time and frame to create beautiful relations with each other. Definitely hats off to Joe Walker.

And of course, each frame was beautiful in itself. Very simplistic and never too gratuitous in its shots - often, the directing is sparse which is incredibly effective.

A very heartfelt film.

• Adam Theeye Pittman

★★★★★ Added by Adam Theeye Pittman

My review -- this film is now on Blu-Ray and I would like to make this crystal clear from the very beginning there is a strong sexual current throughout this film, so I would really recommend 18 and up to watch the project only. The storyline, as viewers we join Michael Fassbender's character as he drifts through his life struggling to come to terms with sex addiction. The atmosphere grabs the viewer from the very beginning with this eerie and…

• MrLuxury_Yacht

★★★★ Added by MrLuxury_Yacht

This review reportedly contains spoilers. I can handle the truth.