• Chiddaling

★★★★ Watched by Chiddaling 15 Sep, 2014

A disturbing and sad story of a man so controlled by his desires that when something interrupts it, he loses control. Michael Fassbender put on a great performance in Shame along with his co-star Carey Mulligan. The cinematography, writing, and directing were all wonderful in this movie. I was slightly overwhelmed and bored with the gratuitous amounts of nudity and sex scenes which is odd considering the plot of this movie. I felt that some of these scenes went on a bit too long and I just lost attention. Overall, a great movie with some impeccable performances.

• Naughty

★★★★ Watched by Naughty 15 Sep, 2014 3

Films about addictions are not my cup of tea as I prefer escapism over realism so I wasn't really expecting much from the film going in! But it didn't take long for me to realize this was not your average film about addiction!

This was something very special indeed! Of course Steve McQueen's directing skills were impeccable and above reproach but in the end it was Michael Fassbender's powerhouse performance that won my undying respect and admiration!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Film was recommended via my Movie Request Hotline list by Sir William of Letterboxd! Thanks Will for this wonderful request!

• funsohng

Added by funsohng

McQueen perfectly captures the cold skyline of New York in this exceptional examination of addiction, loneliness, and twisted human relationships.

• Dirk van Eck

★★★★ Watched by Dirk van Eck 14 Sep, 2014 3

2011 was a great year for Carey Mulligan lovers like myself, since she not only had a sexy romance with Ryan Gosling in ‘Drive’ that year, but also played the playful sister of The Fass in Steve McQueen’s ‘Shame’. Brandon - the character played by mister Fassbender - lives sort of a double life as he is not only a successful executive, but a sex addict as well. When his sister moves in with him, he struggles to keep this…

• John Connor

★★★★ Watched by John Connor 21 Feb, 2012

Fassbender is brilliant in this portrait of Brandon, a self-loathing sex addict. He's matched by Mulligan and Beharie (who I've never seen before, but who was magnificent in her three long scenes), but unfortunately Dale, as Brandon's louche boss, felt all wrong to me, playing way too broad. The direction is elegant, though at times it feels inorganic and overly studied --- and there are shots (and some entire scenes) that we stay with way too long. But still, it's a spiky, daring piece of cinema, and includes a handful of moments of genuine brilliance.

• nikae

★★★★ Added by nikae

We are not bad-then why are we this lonely?

• Gonçalo

★★★★ Watched by Gonçalo 10 Sep, 2014

Brilliant character study. I'm becoming a true fan of the works of Steve McQueen. He impresses me with every film he makes. One of the best directors working today.

• Windyblue

Incest
    Physical abuse

• Neil McCalmont

★★★★ Watched by Neil McCalmont 07 Sep, 2014 3

I liked this movie a lot. I don't think I'll ever watch it again.

• Jayson Quearry

★★★★ Watched by Jayson Quearry 03 Sep, 2014

The gaze of McQueen's camera tells the viewer everything they need to know about this film. Intently still as it studies the facial and physical ticks of the performers, McQueen's camera is interested in the external reveals of the internal (also symbolized by a motif of blinds opening, letting in daylight). Fassbender's Brandon has distanced himself from his sister, from his peers, from anyone with a personal connection. His inner thoughts and desires perpetuate based off of a lack of…

• Érico Martini

★★ Watched by Érico Martini 02 Sep, 2014

Toda a concepção do filme conduz a um trama completamente introspectivo, o que é claro, faz com que o filme seja extremamente parado. Fui mais pelo diretor, mas não é um filme que aconselharia a assisitirem, esperava bem mais deste.

• Beatrice Folque

★★★ Watched by Beatrice Folque 29 Aug, 2014

There were many people telling me 'you must watch this film! It's awesome"...and then I was like....not so great!