• Glassman

★★★★ Rewatched by Glassman 25 Oct, 2014

This review reportedly contains spoilers. I can handle the truth.

• misha winchester

★★★★½ Added by misha winchester

ok this is a really good movie it's really bold and honest and amazing

• Richard Doyle

★★★★½ Rewatched by Richard Doyle 05 Oct, 2014

When I first saw this film, I admired it's artistry without particularly liking it. It's an extremely cold and clinical take on the subject and it doesn't really take it's characters anywhere so much as observe them sitting in their suffering. Nobody has a character arc to speak of, so it's difficult to see what the point is. On second viewing, I liked it a lot more. Perhaps I knew what to expect, so I was less bothered by it's…

• Riley Peasnell

★★★★½ Watched by Riley Peasnell 22 Oct, 2014

Micheal Fassbender stars as Brandon the young, successful, 30 something year old sex addict who keeps his life in tight control. but that control is unravelled when his sister Cissy played by Casey Mulligan rocks up out of nowhere saying she needs to stay for a few days. From then on Brandon's whole routine collapses as he begins to lose his grip with himself whilst his growing sex addiction slowly overtakes him.

Shame was a very different film when i…

• Corey Hollis Brown

• David

★★★★★ Watched by David 19 Oct, 2014

"Brandon, es Sissy.
    Necesito hablar contigo.
    Por favor, contesta el maldito teléfono.
    Brandon, te necesito.
    No somos malas personas, solo venimos de un mal lugar...
    Gracias por permitir que me quedara.
    "

—Sissy

• Mathias Axberg

★★★ Watched by Mathias Axberg 19 Oct, 2014

"Look: the sex is all mechanical and devoid of any human emotion! GEDDIT!?!?"

The characters are cartoons, their actions are ridiculous; I can't relate/empathize to any of this. The movie is nicely shot, I like Fassbender. That's about it.

• Alex

★★ Watched by Alex 19 Oct, 2014

Didn't go nearly far enough in my opinion. I was supposed to see how completely life ruining Brandon's lifestyle is, but he seemed bored more than anything.

• Nick Dauphin

★★★★★ Rewatched by Nick Dauphin 17 Oct, 2014

One could argue that Steve McQueen's direction and Sean Bobbitt's cinematography are the stars of Shame, but it is truly Michael Fassbender's performance as Brandon that makes Shame such an effective portrayal of addiction. So much is said in Shame through just faces and camera angles, rather than the minimal amount of dialogue. Brandon's fixation with immediate satisfaction rather than long term emotional/intimate relationships comes in direct conflict of the film's contemplative direction creating an entirely enthralling and mesmerizing experience.

Sex isn't depicted so much so erotic in Shame, but rather as how an addictive substance is typically portrayed. Dangerous, painful, and blinding.

• Tom Prankerd

★★★½ Watched by Tom Prankerd 14 Oct, 2014

Superb lead performances and frank, slick direction lift yet a bloody another "addiction is bad, m-kay" script out of the doldrums. It's worth seeing for Fassbender especially and has lots of strengths but it's about as illuminating as a three-day old glowstick.

• Stella_Kat