• Michael Schutz-Ryan

★★½ Added by Michael Schutz-Ryan

Well acted, but I found the theme to be watered down. A movie about a sex addict--titled Shame--should have been more powerful and devastating. I felt this movie lost its way.

• Andy Diep

★★★★★ Added by Andy Diep

One of my all-time favorites.

Just a few dot points on why this is a fantastic movie until i can put it into proper prose:

- Manages to portray cheap, dirty sex without glamorizing it, which is not how a sex addict sees his life.

- Allows us to look at Brandon's life without reducing him to some disturbed, crazed pervert. Obviously a sympathetic character, and we can see the world through his eyes, but anyone who hasn't had sex…

• Milo

★★★★ Watched by Milo 26 Jul, 2015

Scavenger Hunt 4! (17/30) "A film featuring a fetish!": letterboxd.com/milo123/list/milo123s-scavenger-hunt-4-scavenger-world/.
    2011 Films Ranked: letterboxd.com/milo123/list/milo123s-2011-films-ranked/

"We're not bad people. We just come from a bad place."

Shame is a movie that I picked for this category because even if it loosely fits it, Steve McQueen's (12 Years A Slave) movie has been on my to watch list for a while due to the praise that it's received even if a movie about a sex addict isn't something that I'd normally watch.…

• sam2015

★½ Watched by sam2015 25 Jul, 2015

What the fuck did i just watch?!!

• Serbian Man

★★★★★ Added by Serbian Man

michael fassbender's penis is really big, as big as the scale of this film.

• Mary Smith

★★★★ Watched by Mary Smith 20 Jul, 2015

After I got to sit and contemplate how I felt about this film, my perception has changed drastically. The title within itself really defines the whole film. The depth that Michael Fassbender brings to his character is astonishing. Like others said, it is not just about his sex addiction, but his own inner conflict within himself. It kind of reminds me of his character in Fish Tank. Not only did he do an amazing job but, Carey Mulligan did a…

• M Kitchell

★★★ Rewatched by M Kitchell 30 Jan, 2012

I saw this in theater for the second time so I wouldn't have the memory of seeing it with my (recently, at the time) ex-boyfriend.

• Alexander Heff

★★★★ Added by Alexander Heff

In New York City, Brandon's carefully cultivated private life -- which allows him to indulge his sexual addiction -- is disrupted when his sister arrives unannounced for an indefinite stay.

"We're not bad people, we just come from a bad place."

This is a really morbid and sterile character study exploring addiction. Fassbinder is no doubt one of the finest living actors around and he carries this film with his incredible performance. It's good to see films made where the main character haven't learned or changed from their experiences.

Poignant and bold.

• mfulton

★★★★½ Added by mfulton

A-

• Alex Vlad

★★★★★ Watched by Alex Vlad 18 Jul, 2015 7

This review reportedly contains spoilers. I can handle the truth.

Fantastic performances all round! There are scenes, in particular towards the beginning, that are pure visual poetry. The way it is filmed and directed is beautiful. It won't appeal to everyone; there are some intense and gruelling scenes that may disturb. One sequence in particular that follows Fassbender's character, Brandon, carrying out his sexual urge on anyone he finds, while avoiding his sister at home who is clearly in need of her brother to help her. This sequence stayed with me the most; it was horrifying. You will not find a more emotionally compelling character study of a sex addict.

• Matty Stanfield

★★★★ Rewatched by Matty Stanfield 15 Dec, 2011

Almost too dark to bare, but Steve McQueen's film is very dark study of damaged people caught in despair, isolation and loneliness. This is not a film that holds your hand.

It is simultaneously distant and intensely close to the bone. Sexuality has taken the form of addiction. And as in psychological truth, most often sexual addiction has very little to do with sexual pleasure.

In our two main characters we are offered very little in the way of narrative…

• dr_chile

½ Added by dr_chile

A film about a turd made by a turd for turds.