• Nola47

★★★★ Watched by Nola47 12 Apr, 2014

Everyone is miserable in a different way.

I heard a lecture a few weeks ago by a prominent art historian regarding McQueen's work (largely his video art), and the general consensus seemed to be a strong dislike of his "Hollywood" work. This film was discussed most. I still don't really get the AH hating.

• Mike P

★★★★ Watched by Mike P 07 Apr, 2014

A version of Play Misty for Me where empty sexual pursuits are the arch-villain.

• Abdil Ali

★★★★½ Watched by Abdil Ali 10 Apr, 2014

Steve McQueen's films are characterized by average screenplays. This allows the full might of his idiosyncratic direction to come to the fore. Although difficult to watch at times, it was a marvellous experience. Great soundtrack, wonderful cinematography from Bobbitt, and a tour de force from Fassbender.

• Dylaned

★★★½ Watched by Dylaned 07 Apr, 2014

I'm probably too dumb to understand all the hype around every single McQueen's movie.

They're good, visually well made and all, but they're watchable at best.

'Shame' is way better than '12 years a slave' though.

• Susan Howson

★★★★ Watched by Susan Howson 01 Apr, 2014

Bleaugh. But beautiful?

• lorrie

★★★★★ Rewatched by lorrie 05 Apr, 2014

I will never grow tired of this film, it's so beautiful, one of my favorites.

• joshers

★★★★½ Added by joshers

My favourite from McQueen so far. Michael Fassbender is superb.

• Nikolas Alvarenga

★★★★★ Watched by Nikolas Alvarenga 03 Apr, 2014

A sublime, insightful, subtle, incredibly, original movie!

Extremely exhausting act of Michael Fassbender.

You can't see a cliché point in "Shame", it's a long journey to the deep of a sex fiend man named Brandon that lives his life as the routine commands, but its sex addict needs to be set free, if you know what i'm saying... until the his depressed sister arrives to torment his life... And you will follow until the conclusion.

Steve McQueen, you turned me as your fan! =)

• dvana

★★★★ Added by dvana

amazing work by steve mcqueen. the continuous takes are so interesting and captivating, making this film more like an experience than something cinematic. the material is both dark and emotionally heavy and manages to bring to light multiple characters with similar themes of self-inflicted battles of desire. it felt real, like i was imposing on realtime surveillance of real people and their struggles.

• Lucas

★★★★ Watched by Lucas 06 Oct, 2013

Don't watch this with your parents.

• Lianne Motshagen

★★★½ Watched by Lianne Motshagen 31 Mar, 2014

Actually not a movie about sex addiction, but about loneliness.
    Poor man...

• Bob Rutiger

★★★½ Watched by Bob Rutiger 24 Jan, 2014

Watching 12 Years A Slave, I would be thinking to myself, this is great drama. Steve McQueen really knows how to recreate the times of slavery for film. I thought he did a solid job. With Shame though, it's totally different. Holy shit does the man have filmmaking chops. It's hard to do, but when you can make sex seem horrifying, then you deserve some kind of medal.

Brandon is a young 30 something sex addict. Seriously, the sex comes…