• AlvaroESalazar

★★★★★ Rewatched by AlvaroESalazar 22 Nov, 2014

Hombre que a pesar de estar inmerso en los placeres de la sexualidad y el exceso, encarna la frustración, el vacío emocional y la incapacidad de amar o relacionarse que poco a poco lo van consumiendo.

• McMac Henry

★★★★½ Watched by McMac Henry 20 Nov, 2014

I wonder if Steve inspects actors cocks/butts before he puts them in his movies.

Aight, got my lame joke out of the way. This Steve McQueen guy does silence extremely well. That scene in the metro at the start and the sequel to it at the end, the majority of hunger, the repeating scenes of slaves looking at the slave drivers before starting work. That's all I got. I'l let you movie nerds actually review the film.

• salma

★★★ Added by salma

Unsettling and upsetting but good also

• Lucas

★★★★½ Rewatched by Lucas 17 Nov, 2014

It sneaks up on you. Subtly.

• Logan Jones

★★★★ Rewatched by Logan Jones 08 Nov, 2014 2

“We’re not bad people. We just come from a bad place.”

Anyone who’s seen 12 Years a Slave will most likely be aware of Steve McQueen’s ability to simultaneously create compelling cinema and tackle difficult subject matter with unflinching honesty. This, his second feature film and a dark drama about sex addiction and broken families, also marks his second collaboration with Michael Fassbender, with whom he previously worked in the brilliant but brutal Hunger. Fassbender plays Brandon Sullivan, an Irish-American…

• Josh Liles

★★★★★ Watched by Josh Liles 14 Nov, 2014

McQueen's second feature collaboration with Fassbender stands to be a heartbreakingly beautiful film that resonates inside long after the credits have rolled.

For the duration I was completely invested. My eyes seemed locked onto the screen, not much appeared to be happening but I was fascinated continually by the story's portrayal. This is one of Michael Fassbender's strongest performances, he didn't say much but his facial expression paints a bigger picture than words possibly could. McQueen's direction was wonderful, the…

• moonlitfloor

★★★★ Added by moonlitfloor

Greatly disturbing yet extremely watchable film.

• MovieGuru

★★★½ Watched by MovieGuru 01 Nov, 2014

You can just tell that this film could have been stale, but Fassbender clearly prevents it from being so. Rather, it is entertaining, puzzling and questions are being asked about this the pyschological side of Fassbender's character actions at many points in this film.

The film ending is ambiguous, quite fittingly to be honest, and tells a rather disturbingly serious story about addiction - regardless of whther this might not be a seriously seen as one like alcohol or drugs are.

• Anne Ashton

★★★★ Watched by Anne Ashton 08 Nov, 2014

Shame was brilliant; a mesmerizing display by one of Hollywood's most profound actors. Fassbender alone pulls the movie through being a bleak hollow script into a riveting display of addiction. McQueen's direction is nothing but precise and to the point, leaving the audience to decide how they feel about Brandon's actions, rather than persuading them in a particular direction. That being said, it definitely was not perfect.

• Inez

★★★ Added by Inez

Cold, pitiful and pitiless. To sum up this movie i'd say : we aren't ashamed of our addictions but of showing them.

• Gex

★★★½ Added by Gex

Ok, I'm not gonna lie, I'm a terrible reviewer. When it comes to top class reviewers like Adam Cook, Aaron, and CinemaClown, I'm just not in the same league. I wouldn't be able to do this film justice if I reviewed it my own way, so I'm going to do something ballsy yet unoriginal.

The scene near the end of the film, where our main character Magneto, er um, Brandon, played by Michael Fassbender, finally has an emotional breakdown in…

• Stu Kirwan

★★★ Watched by Stu Kirwan 03 Nov, 2014

Looks good and very well acted but beyond that it didn't really resonate. It started off well but then where did it go? Perhaps that's the point but it doesn't exactly make for the most interesting of watches.