• john lichman

★★ Watched by john lichman 14 Sep, 2014

Incredible sets, incredibly sparse on everything else as a warlord becomes a former warlord that becomes a shaolin monk that fights against his former protege that (spoiler) dies in the arms of Buddha.

Jackie Chan cameos as a janitor using ladders, noodles and brooms to fight much younger men.

• Jose González

★★½ Watched by Jose González 13 Jul, 2014

Tal y como esperaba es la típica película de hombre perdido que encuentra la luz, se convierte en héroe y blablablabla. Típica de kung-fu, monjes budistas y toda la parafernalia para explicar la historia más simple del mundo: el bien contra el mal. Que luego no está tan mal, las peleítas están entretenidas y eso pero ya está.

• Emilio J. Barrero

★★★★ Added by Emilio J. Barrero

Un brillante y humilde ejemplo del significado de la filosofía budista y de lo que es capaz de alcanzar el ser humano por mucha oscuridad que invada su corazón. Musicalmente es un paraíso deseado y la mezcla de acción y sentimiento hace de una película de artes marciales una obra de arte armónica y emotiva. Quizás, por añadir algún fallo, alguna escena llega a alcanzar lo surreal, pero no es un dato necesario para poder purificar nuestros corazones con esta lección ejemplar que nos ofrece.

• Boost

★★★½ Added by Boost

Too long and drama heavy. Well directed and acted.

• James Gant

★★★★ Added by James Gant

I have watched a lot of bad martial arts movies, especially out of China. This movie is not among them. ;)

• Chevalier

★★★ Added by Chevalier

The whole film plays the story a bit too safe, enough to never become too ambitious and thus ,lacking the impact it could had. Still a decent affair, but with that cast it should had been more.

• JamesLebowski

★★★ Watched by JamesLebowski 08 Apr, 2014

Shaolin is part desaturated, grim war drama, part Buddhist propaganda and part Martial Arts movie.
    The big cast that includes Andy Lau, Nicholas Tse, Fan Bingbing, Jackie Chan, Xing Yu and Wu Jing of course drew me to this but I'd be hard pressed to recommend Shaolin.

Andy Lau plays a vile General who is betrayed and barely escapes an assault on his life. Shaolin Monks give him refuge and he starts to change his ways.
    His second in command…

• Gaz Elliott

★★★ Watched by Gaz Elliott 24 Feb, 2014

China is plunged into strife as feuding warlords try to expand their power by warring over neighboring lands. Fuelled by his success on the battlefield, young and arrogant Hao Jie sneers at Shaolin's masters after killing a rival warlord on their temple grounds. But the glory comes before a fall. His own family is wiped out in an unexpected turn of events and Hao is forced to take refuge with the monks. As the civil unrest spreads and the people suffer, Hao and the Shaolin masters are forced to take a fiery stand against the evil warlords.

• Antonio Quintero

★★★★ Watched by Antonio Quintero 01 Dec, 2013

Great martial arts film. It has a great final battle in the shaolin temple.

• Jay Singh

★★★½ Watched by Jay Singh 01 Jan, 2014

Better than average but the "unexpected element" in the ending ruined the experience for me.

• Momo_13

★★★ Added by Momo_13

There is nothing original about this film - Let me get that out there in the open. You've seen it all before; The soulless protagonist who needs a hard fall to realize the errors of his ways, the friend seething with jealousy and hatred who betrays him, the unassuming and humble character who shows our non-hero the error of his ways through an act of kindness and is in-turn shown his true strength. You know the others too, they are…

• Neil Sarver

★★★★ Watched by Neil Sarver 13 Mar, 2013

Very nice. The things I liked about this, I really liked a lot, although I felt like it did get too heavy-handed for me in more places than I'd have liked.