• James Gant

★★★★ Added by James Gant

I have watched a lot of bad martial arts movies, especially out of China. This movie is not among them. ;)

• Chevalier

★★★ Added by Chevalier

The whole film plays the story a bit too safe, enough to never become too ambitious and thus ,lacking the impact it could had. Still a decent affair, but with that cast it should had been more.

• JamesLebowski

★★★ Watched by JamesLebowski 08 Apr, 2014

Shaolin is part desaturated, grim war drama, part Buddhist propaganda and part Martial Arts movie.
    The big cast that includes Andy Lau, Nicholas Tse, Fan Bingbing, Jackie Chan, Xing Yu and Wu Jing of course drew me to this but I'd be hard pressed to recommend Shaolin.

Andy Lau plays a vile General who is betrayed and barely escapes an assault on his life. Shaolin Monks give him refuge and he starts to change his ways.
    His second in command…

• Gaz Elliott

★★★ Watched by Gaz Elliott 24 Feb, 2014

China is plunged into strife as feuding warlords try to expand their power by warring over neighboring lands. Fuelled by his success on the battlefield, young and arrogant Hao Jie sneers at Shaolin's masters after killing a rival warlord on their temple grounds. But the glory comes before a fall. His own family is wiped out in an unexpected turn of events and Hao is forced to take refuge with the monks. As the civil unrest spreads and the people suffer, Hao and the Shaolin masters are forced to take a fiery stand against the evil warlords.

• Antonio Quintero

★★★★ Watched by Antonio Quintero 01 Dec, 2013

Great martial arts film. It has a great final battle in the shaolin temple.

• Jay Singh

★★★½ Watched by Jay Singh 01 Jan, 2014

Better than average but the "unexpected element" in the ending ruined the experience for me.

• Momo_13

★★★ Added by Momo_13

There is nothing original about this film - Let me get that out there in the open. You've seen it all before; The soulless protagonist who needs a hard fall to realize the errors of his ways, the friend seething with jealousy and hatred who betrays him, the unassuming and humble character who shows our non-hero the error of his ways through an act of kindness and is in-turn shown his true strength. You know the others too, they are…

• Neil Sarver

★★★★ Watched by Neil Sarver 13 Mar, 2013

Very nice. The things I liked about this, I really liked a lot, although I felt like it did get too heavy-handed for me in more places than I'd have liked.

• madnickk

★★★ Watched by madnickk 25 Feb, 2013

Ich mag ja chinesische Filme, auch dann, wenn ich sie nicht komplett verstehe. Das liegt nicht daran, dass der Film schlecht ist oder kompliziert, ich verstehe schlicht und ergreifend deren Wertvorstellungen nicht und auf diese Basiert dieser Film. Buddah, Gerechtigkeit, Ehre, Läuterung und Rache.
    Die Bilder sind ganz besonders in HD sehr schön anzuschauen, die Einstellungen sehr fotografisch und künstlerisch. Das können die Chinesen wirklich ganz besonders gut.

• Lylias

★★★★★ Added by Lylias

This is a great movie. If you like martial arts and foreign movies, this is a must watch.

• Alexander Alves

★★★★★ Watched by Alexander Alves 01 Jan, 2013

More than just a action Kung Fu movie! Very emotional with great actors!

• Joe

★★★★ Watched by Joe 25 Nov, 2012

Pretty cool action movie with a moral philosophy that I imagine will go down easy for most viewers - you don't have to close your eyes or make allowances or whatever (like you do when watching Hero, for example). I also loved Andy Lau in the lead role, playing a genuinely complex man, but unfortunately most of that complexity goes out the window once he actually decides to become a monk. I guess that's to be expected, though.

I was expecting just a cameo from Jackie Chan but he's actually got three or four scenes, and he even gets to fight in one of them!