• deepblue

★★★★ Rewatched by deepblue 25 Jul, 2015

Parodies are usually pretty uninspired. It's a genre full of movies going for cheap laughs and taking advantage of established works. The term "parody" doesn't really do this film justice.

There's an important balance here - It's intelligent without being overtly smart, it's ridiculously funny without ever being TOO ridiculous. Edgar Wright's camera work keeps you focused and his writing keeps things from getting stale as the plot moves forward.

After a few rewatches, I've found that I'm not really a huge fan of the third act of the film - it seems overly long. But the first hour is comedic gold.

• Artpig (Brett)

★★★★★ Watched by Artpig (Brett) 29 Jul, 2015 1

Absolutely breathtaking. A full review later, but, to make things short. This is Edgar Wrights masterpiece, and a favorite film of mine now. Second best horror comedy behind Ghostbusters. If you haven't seen it. Do it. NOW.

• VeganPilgrim

★★★★½ Added by VeganPilgrim

Grandioser Film. Nur da ich mich kaum im Horrorgenre bewege gefällt mir der Film nicht so gut wie Hot Fuzz.
    Mit Shaun of the Dead bewies Edgar Wright zum ersten Mal, dass er einer der ganz großen Regisseure der Gegenwart ist.

• Jason Darby

★★★★½ Rewatched by Jason Darby 26 Jul, 2015

The first of a British trilogy of films directed by Edgar Wright and starring Simon Pegg is easily the funniest out of the three. Shaun of the Dead is a hilarious homage to zombie films that no other film has been able to duplicate in the intervening years (though some have certainly tried.)

The film doesn't start off as a zombie comedy, rather as just a standard issue romantic comedy with relationship issues at the core. Once the zombie apocalypse…

• filibustier

★★★ Watched by filibustier 26 Jul, 2015

Take car. Go to mum's. Kill Phil. Grab Liz, go to the Winchester, have a nice cold pint, and wait for all of this to blow over. How's that for a slice of fried gold?

• WeeklyWelder

★★★★★ Rewatched by WeeklyWelder 25 Jul, 2015

I'm completely, non-ironically, genuinely scared of zombies and I still love this film. I loved when I saw it at The Kendall in 2004, I loved it today when I was ironing clothes (and then just stood at my ironing board watching), and I loved it the 20-odd times I've seen it in the last 11 years.

• Ben Rasmin

★★★★★ Rewatched by Ben Rasmin 21 Jul, 2015

The millenium heralded a bright new era for British comedy; just as Ricky Gervais and Stephen Merchant changed the televisual landscape with the seminal The Office, the trio of Edgar Wright, Nick Frost and Simon Pegg made an indelible mark on cinema with this debut feature. Key to the success of this new brand of comedy was the balance it struck between the anarchic spirit of the Nineties - a landmark decade in the history of British pop culture -…

• Mr. DuLac

★★★★½ Rewatched by Mr. DuLac 24 Jul, 2015 5

Now, as well as, er, Mr. Sloane being off today, I'm afraid Ash is, er, feeling a little bit, erm, under the weather. So I will be taking charge as the, erm...
    -Shaun

The corruption of my stepdaughter continues as we take a break from the Scream films and watch Shaun of the Dead... at her request! This came about because I showed her the scene from YouTube where Shaun (Simon Pegg) stumbles to the store after a night of…

• Leticia

★★★★ Rewatched by Leticia 24 Jul, 2015

awesome movie but still not as funny as hot fuzz imo

• kurt k

★★★★ Watched by kurt k 24 Jul, 2015

it was predictable as hell but i had a great time

• Audiences Everywhere

★★★★★ Added by Audiences Everywhere

"It’s all in the chances that Wright and his actors take. There is no other way to explain how a movie constructed almost exclusively out of homage to other zombie films can, itself, turn out to be best zombie film ever made. That sort of accomplishment requires inventiveness, creativity, fresh perspective, and know how. The sort of thing that Wright, Pegg, and Frost provide to this film and all their others. That kind of energy can really wake something up in a person. It sure did with me."

Read Travis Losh's full review here.

• _Jorgos

★★★ Watched by _Jorgos 22 Jul, 2015

Entertaining filmmaking. Nothing special story- or characterwise.