• Cinemole

★★ Watched by Cinemole 17 Aug, 2014

I usually argue that historical accuracy is irrelevant in a biopic. This film works as a counter argument, with all events in the film taking place in the wrong order as if to squeeze in every element of the sex pistols legacy, and British history of the late 70's. For example, there's a Thatcher campaign poster from the 1979 election in the background of a scene set in 1977; if a minor detail like that is irritating me, the film really isn't engaging enough.

• Erin

★★ Watched by Erin 18 Jul, 2014

I wanted to finish this movie but I just couldn't. I tried. I really did. Maybe some other time.

• Sean Wicks

★★★ Watched by Sean Wicks 28 Jun, 2014

This is the bio-pic that turns the bio-pic formula on its ear - only fitting given the subject at the center of it.

We all know how these things USUALLY work. Person with talent has dreams of making it big, rides a wave of success (in music pictures, usually with a concert/recording/on tour/billboard charts montage) only to crash and burn thanks to drugs/ego/domestic disputes/infidelity...etc.

Nope not here. When we first meet Sid & Nancy, they're already messy, despicable characters. Our first…

• Phil Worfel

★★★½ Rewatched by Phil Worfel 09 Jun, 2014

The craft is so plainly clear and laudable in this film that I'll always feel guilty about giving less than 5 stars. There's nothing about the film that I connect with above the level of superb artistry and performance. I've never liked punk and the characters that Oldman and Webb portray are as far from my existence as I imagine aliens would be. It is because of its fully realized evocation of a foreign land that I will always respect the film, the actors and Cox. But I don't know that I'll ever enjoy it.

• Todd Knaak

★★★★★ Added by Todd Knaak

• Greg Dinskisk

Watched by Greg Dinskisk 11 May, 2014

A lot of similar themes to REPO MAN, specifically people fighting against boredom. It's more focused, two characters instead of six or so. Less fun, but still has some great lines of dialogue. "He got beat up by some fascists" made me laugh a lot, as did the look of offense on someone's face after Nancy calls his drugs garbage. Alex Cox seemed to get better at directing, as a lot of the imagery was gorgeous. The poster seen here on Letterboxd captured one of the best shots in the film.

• bdavis

★★★ Watched by bdavis 03 May, 2014

"But Sidney's more than a mere bass player. He's a fabulous disaster. He's a symbol, a metaphor, he embodies the dementia of a nihilistic generation. He's a fuckin' star."

• Corey Hackathorn

★★★★ Watched by Corey Hackathorn 30 Apr, 2014

A film about two useless fucks and their bad lives played by some good actors.

• Shanta

Watched by Shanta 25 Apr, 2014

Finally finished watching this extremely painful film.
    I have no words to describe how excruciating it was to watch this love story. Having said that, I had to persevere through to the end.
    Gary Oldman was so incredible in this role. What a chameleon he is.

Don't think I will ever watch it again. Once was enough. But I'm glad to have experienced it.

Can't even say whether or not I liked it.

Might be a good time to watch The Sound of Music now, just to get the bitter taste out of my head...

• Stéfany Lacerda

★★★ Watched by Stéfany Lacerda 01 Apr, 2014

Punk!

• Anne-Julie

★★★½ Watched by Anne-Julie 04 Apr, 2014

This is a movie about two of the most pathetic celebrities that ever lived. And still, because of Gary Oldman's incredible performance, I cannot hate anything about them. Everything about their life .. and death is just so depressing. Still, it is a great movie about a self-destructive couple drove by drugs and nothing else. With Gary Oldman, who simply IS Sid Vicious. Gary Oldman deserves an oscar for every role he just gets. And the ending sequence was beautiful,…

• Tom Prankerd

★★★ Added by Tom Prankerd

A pair of stunning lead performances and a semi-accurate look at an infamous relationship. However, the film comes far too close to idolising an idiotic yob who couldn't play bass and stabbed his girlfriend to death.