• Vinicius Oliveira

★★★★ Rewatched by Vinicius Oliveira 19 Oct, 2014

In fact, I reviewed this movie in this date. Fantastic story about Sid Vicious (bass player of Sex Pistols); how he, and his wife, lived the fame and the rock'n'roll! A little sad at the end, but it's a true story!

Of course, Gary Oldman was perfect.

• Joe DiCanio

★★★★ Watched by Joe DiCanio 08 Dec, 2013

Rating: B+

• Josh Rosenfield

★★★½ Watched by Josh Rosenfield 06 Oct, 2014

I like how it makes such a "dangerous" artist seem so utterly boring.

• brian BV

★★★ Added by brian BV

This is a study of an extremely self-destructive couple. I can understand Sid Vicious: He was a member of a groundbreaking punk band, before performing perhaps the most memorable cover of Frank Sinatra's My Way in 1978. But Nancy Spungen? She was pure ugliness, and even worse in real life compared to Chloe Webb's performance. If anything else, this abrasive film graphically shows the dregs of heroin addiction.

If you want to see a film about The Sex Pistols, watch The Great Rock 'n' Roll Swindle and/or The Filth and the Fury.

• Daniel

★★★★ Watched by Daniel 07 Sep, 2014

I didn't really know anything about Sid Vicious, Nancy Spungen, or even The Sex Pistols prior to watching this movie. But I knew about drugs, and I knew about love, and I knew about movies. "Drugs are bad" or something, and director Alex Cox did a great job at saying that without using it as a crutch or bias, but instead just using the camera as a mirror of this particular form of lifestyle. I went back and forth on…

• Joseph Brown

★★★½ Watched by Joseph Brown 04 Sep, 2014

I was convinced to finally watch Sid & Nancy after my friend Greg deemed it as the worst movie he's ever seen. This was proclaimed mere minutes after watching The Room, I may add.

I hate biopics by default. It's a genre that's never agreed with me, partially because there's so much pressure for the actors to live up to the reputation of whoever they're portraying, a goal they can only hope to achieve. The genre exists as Oscar-bait almost exclusively.…

• Cinemole

★★ Watched by Cinemole 17 Aug, 2014

I usually argue that historical accuracy is irrelevant in a biopic. This film works as a counter argument, with all events in the film taking place in the wrong order as if to squeeze in every element of the sex pistols legacy, and British history of the late 70's. For example, there's a Thatcher campaign poster from the 1979 election in the background of a scene set in 1977; if a minor detail like that is irritating me, the film really isn't engaging enough.

• Erin

★★ Watched by Erin 18 Jul, 2014

I wanted to finish this movie but I just couldn't. I tried. I really did. Maybe some other time.

• Sean Wicks

★★★ Watched by Sean Wicks 28 Jun, 2014

This is the bio-pic that turns the bio-pic formula on its ear - only fitting given the subject at the center of it.

We all know how these things USUALLY work. Person with talent has dreams of making it big, rides a wave of success (in music pictures, usually with a concert/recording/on tour/billboard charts montage) only to crash and burn thanks to drugs/ego/domestic disputes/infidelity...etc.

Nope not here. When we first meet Sid & Nancy, they're already messy, despicable characters. Our first…

• Phil Worfel

★★★½ Rewatched by Phil Worfel 09 Jun, 2014

The craft is so plainly clear and laudable in this film that I'll always feel guilty about giving less than 5 stars. There's nothing about the film that I connect with above the level of superb artistry and performance. I've never liked punk and the characters that Oldman and Webb portray are as far from my existence as I imagine aliens would be. It is because of its fully realized evocation of a foreign land that I will always respect the film, the actors and Cox. But I don't know that I'll ever enjoy it.

• Todd Knaak

★★★★★ Added by Todd Knaak

• Greg Dinskisk

Watched by Greg Dinskisk 11 May, 2014

A lot of similar themes to REPO MAN, specifically people fighting against boredom. It's more focused, two characters instead of six or so. Less fun, but still has some great lines of dialogue. "He got beat up by some fascists" made me laugh a lot, as did the look of offense on someone's face after Nancy calls his drugs garbage. Alex Cox seemed to get better at directing, as a lot of the imagery was gorgeous. The poster seen here on Letterboxd captured one of the best shots in the film.