• whitsbrain

★★★½ Watched by whitsbrain 04 Oct, 2015

I never realized how good these early Frankenstein movies were. "Frankenstein" is a great movie and "Bride of Frankenstein" is perfect in every way. Now, "Son of Frankenstein" isn't at the level of those two greats, but it's really good.

I enjoyed the performance of Basil Rathbone. He transforms from mild-mannered scientist to lunatic to murderer in practically the blink of an eye. And I know he didn't do a lot of the stunts, but I was impressed by his…

• Dale Nauertz

★★★ Rewatched by Dale Nauertz 03 Oct, 2015

Hoop-tober, Film #9
    "Son of Frankenstein" isn't quite up to the level of its predecessors, "Frankenstein" and "Bride of Frankenstein", but at least it's a hell of a lot of fun. Basil Rathbone, Sherlock Holmes O.G., plays the son of the late, great Victor Frankenstein who comes to his ancestral manse to collect his inheritance and is instead manipulated into resurrecting his father's creation (Boris Karloff) at the behest of a broken-necked lunatic named Ygor (Bela Lugosi). The townsfolk aren't…

• Jeff Williams

★★★½ Watched by Jeff Williams 29 Sep, 2015

Sequel that features a top-flight cast and great atmosphere due to the lavish sets. The downside is there's not as much pathos as in Bride with the monster back to being non-verbal plus there's some very bad kid acting.

• Silent J

★★★★ Rewatched by Silent J 26 Sep, 2015

For some reason I find it hilarious that Baron Frankenstein and The Monster are the same height. They're at eye level.

It's just that part of The Monster's mystique is that he's supposed to have this towering, ungodly stature that's unlike any human. Yet he's just as tall as another human.

Ever notice I find the dumbest things funny?

• Bill Riggs

★★★★ Rewatched by Bill Riggs 27 Sep, 2015

A great continuation of the series featuring superb performances from Basil Rathbone, Lionel Atwill and especially Bela Lugosi as Ygor. The Doctor's son returns home to inherit his father's obsession.

• RetroReef

★★★★½ Watched by RetroReef 22 Sep, 2015

Here's a movie where the individual elements; the characters, production, overall aesthetic, are so good that the lackluster plot and pacing are forgivable. Really the only part of Son of Frankenstein that's thrilling is the ending, but I was still happy enough to enjoy all the interactions between these wonderful characters.

I felt the same way while watching "Withnail and I" the first time; I love these characters and this world, but could have used a different plot.

• Matthew Lucas

★★★★ Watched by Matthew Lucas 17 Sep, 2015

The first three Frankenstein films represent perhaps the strongest run in any of the Universal monster franchises, with SON OF FRANKENSTEIN closing out the Karloff period in strong fashion (Lon Chaney, Jr. would take over the role in 1942's GHOST OF FRANKENSTEIN). A worthy follow-up to BRIDE OF FRANKENSTEIN, SON OF FRANKENSTEIN picks up decades after the monster's presumed death, as Wolf Frankenstein (Basil Rathbone), son of Victor Frankenstein, returns to his father's laboratory, and discovers that the monster still…

• wretchedmonkey1

★★★★ Added by wretchedmonkey1

Striking production design and cinematography. Owes a lot to German expressionism. Better than expected!

• Peng

★★★½ Watched by Peng 27 Aug, 2015

Crooked architecture, deep shadows, delectable atmosphere... German expressionism run amok.

• Not Dave Kehr

Added by Not Dave Kehr

Basil Rathbone plays the baron's offspring, taking up dad's work where he left off. This 1939 feature, the third in the Universal series, is a strangely literary and leisurely monster movie, laced with amusing gothic doodles by director Rowland V. Lee. With Boris Karloff, Bela Lugosi, and Lionel Atwill.

• GoodBadAndOdd

★★★★ Rewatched by GoodBadAndOdd 12 May, 2015

A fine entry to the Universal Frankenstein franchise, a little let down by some pacing issues and overlong scenes (especially the ones with the annoying kid), but it roars along whenever Lugosi is on screen, and Rathbone and Atwill aren't far behind.

Has one of the greatest houses in cinema.

• Ryan Meyers

★★★½ Added by Ryan Meyers

Victor Frankenstein's son comes home to the castle to find a deformed man, the product of a failed hanging, asking him to revive the monster his father created. This was much better than I expected it to be. Bela Lugosi gives his career-best performance here as Ygor the deformed man. Themes of revenge are strong here and actually play out well instead of cheaply. Basil Rathbone also elevates the material quite a bit. The sets ring true to James Whale's original vision but with a more sinister aura of dread hanging over everything. The film has a very memorable ending too. Fairly good stuff.