• Graham Williamson

★★★★½ Watched by Graham Williamson 27 Aug, 2016 2

Reviewed on The Geek Show.

Or: Andrei Tarkovsky's It's a Completely Fucking Terrible Life. I thought large stretches of this were almost wilfully unlovable when I watched it, but the whole thing was utterly admirable. As it settles in my head, I'm becoming more and more straightforwardly enamoured by it; call back in a week and I'll love it. Watching it is much like being a character in it; it's an arduous trek, but you might just get everything you ever dreamed of if you see it through.

• Nick

★★★★★ Watched by Nick 25 Aug, 2016

I'm not quite sure what to make of this upon my first viewing and I'm not sure I'll ever understand everything that Tarkovsky was trying to get across here, but it's been a while since a film has left such a profound mark on me and left me in a state of such bewilderment. Every word spoken and every frame captured feels powerful and beautiful. Tarkovsky, I love you.

• Simon Ramshaw

★★★★★ Rewatched by Simon Ramshaw 23 Aug, 2016 3

"That's the Zone. You might even call it capricious."

Had an essay-worthy idea brewing in last night's rewatch, but it's faded away a bit throughout the day. However, I feel like I need to watch it again before I can make an educated assertion about this behemoth, so I guess I'll just have to force myself to watch it sometime soon, I mean, urrrrrrrgh, just get lost, Andrei.

• EnteredTheVoid

★★★★★ Rewatched by EnteredTheVoid 24 Aug, 2016

One of the most hauntingly beautiful pieces of poetry ever put to film. Tarkovsky directed this with pure wizardry. With visuals that are beyond words. Second times a charm, this is, quite simply, one of the best films I've ever seen and will ever see.

• TheMovieWaffler.com

★★★★★ Added by TheMovieWaffler.com

What does it all mean? I can't answer that. You'll just have to journey into The Zone, if not The Room, yourself. This Stalker makes for an effective guide.

Read the full review at themoviewaffler.com

• honorsphysics

★★½ Watched by honorsphysics 19 Aug, 2016

As with many "art films", there's philosophical discussion, interesting composition in the cinematography, and scenes worth shooting that way. The plot, however, does not manage to suspend my disbelief. While the Zone is purportedly a place where paths change and traps abound, we encounter these troubles only nominally. I did not get a sense of danger from the time spent in the Zone, so the path was arbitrary and choices were largely without consequence. Arguably, that may be intentional as…

• Paddy Hannan

Watched by Paddy Hannan 21 Aug, 2016

Sculpting Time: Andrei Tarkovsky Retrospective
    Barn Cinema,
    Dartington, Totnes

• Sandy Connell

★★★★★ Rewatched by Sandy Connell 21 Aug, 2016

Seen at the 25th Chichester Film Festival.

It's notable how the number of twenty-something cinema-goers significantly lowered the average age of the audience in this screening. Chichester Cinema typically attracts an older audience but the popularity of Tarkovsky among more youthful cineastes cannot be denied.

• Eithne

★★★ Watched by Eithne 20 Aug, 2016

• antoniobret

★★★★★ Added by antoniobret

Una experiencia completamente fuera de este mundo. Hombres en busca de respuesta, ruinas de posguerra, telequinesis. Una cosa muy maravillosa y muy abstracta, que cuesta de ver como una fuerza oscura de 40 toneladas pero que permanece en la memoria hasta el día en que te mueras.

• dave_or_did