• Ryland Dinneen

★★★★★ Rewatched by Ryland Dinneen 05 Jul, 2015

Three cups of coffee and bowl of butter spaghetti later, I have realized that Stalker is the most beautiful movie I've ever seen.

I love films I can't understand. There's something about them...the mystery, the feeling that these films are "beyond" me...I can't pinpoint why. 2001: A Space Odyssey, Eraserhead, Persona, Stalker; they've all thrown my mind in a fucking loop-de-loop over and over again, yet they're still some of my most cherished films.

Stalker is deeply mysterious in a…

• Spesh to Death

★★★★ Added by Spesh to Death

There is a lot to unpack with Stalker, and I haven't really even begun, but my initial impression is one of a melancholy sort of loveliness that permeates the scenes in The Zone and the scenes with Monkey. The dense religious allegory and the open ended questions of purpose and desire are another, more difficult matter, one that I'm sure I'll be thinking about for some time.

• Yuri90

★★★★ Watched by Yuri90 02 Jul, 2015

24.

Un film importante, coraggioso e meritevole. Un film dove si incontrano tre diverse personalità che mettono a nudo il loro io interiore. Un profondo viaggio alla ricerca di se stessi.

• Mike Gorman

★★★★★ Added by Mike Gorman

Shameful I took so long to actually see it. If you are not familiar imagine Wings of Desire meets Terence Malick in slow motion. You have either been scared away or your curiosity has peaked. A brilliant film.

• TheAnalyzer

★★★★½ Added by TheAnalyzer 2

This review reportedly contains spoilers. I can handle the truth.

I saw this just yesterday, hoping to see a really cool sci-fi world with some amazing scenery. Although I got the scenery, the sci-fi was pretty weak. I should've expected that from an art film.

Now, don't get me wrong. I thought the movie was great. There are multiple aspects of film-making. Music, acting, character, scenery, cinematography, and story are all factors. But they need to work together. All aspects of the film amazed me on some level, b ut…

• James Utley

★★★★★ Rewatched by James Utley 29 Jun, 2015

Every so often, you come across a film that you just can’t put into words. This happens more often if you get into Tarkovsky films, of course. I’ve been reading his book, Sculpting in Time, which is what prompted me to seek out Stalker again. The first time I saw it, I’m not going to lie, I was bored. I put some rubbish in my review about how I was not excited to watch more Tarkovsky films, but I was…

• Pablo Massa

★★★½ Watched by Pablo Massa 28 Jun, 2015

El Señor de los Anillos de los intelectuales incogibles.

Cuando le di play mi mente me decía "Más te vale que seas inteligente como para entenderla y no clavarte tres horas no entendiendo nada y perdiendo tiempo, más te vale que seas inteligente como para entenderla y no clavarte tres horas no entendiendo nada y perdiendo tiempo, más te vale que seas inteligente como para entenderla y no clavarte tres horas no entendiendo nada y perdiendo tiempo".

Pensé que Tarkovsky…

• notjonw

Watched by notjonw 28 Jun, 2015

How in hell is this considered a classic?! The only shots are pan in and pan out for 15 minutes at a time along with lame poetry as its script and better than average cinemography... I was fooled.

• Foggy Pebble

★★ Watched by Foggy Pebble 27 Jun, 2015

At least twice as long as it needed to be, two hours are devoted to watching three middle aged dudes (or, rather, two dudes and an alien) walk through a building (that looks like a plain old abandoned house) at a snail's pace while occasionally napping along the way and complaining about their professions. While its a very important detail that the rooms change around, we never see it happen. Most of the screen time is devoted to watching the…

• Banquo

★★★★★ Rewatched by Banquo 23 Jun, 2015

"A man writes because he is tormented, because he doubts. He needs to constantly prove to himself and the others that he's worth something. And if I know for sure that I'm a genius? Why write then? What the hell for?"

After the initial viewing I immediately went back to see it again. To call this film anything less than a masterpiece would be a great disservice. Exploring the complexities and struggles of human desire, Andrei Tarkovsky’s “Stalker” is a psychoanalytic triumph. A singular piece of work.

• ayylmao233

★★★★★ Added by ayylmao233

Stalker is a haunting, mind blowing masterpiece. Andrei Tarkovsky created one of the most intellectually stimulating, sensory assaulting films I've ever seen. The themes, story, and characters are developed by Tarkovsky in a way that can only be called genius. He allows all of the characters to convey their personalities on the screen, with three incredible actors doing amazing jobs. Tarkovsky also communicates the themes of the story through imagery and heavy symbolism, which makes the film a bit dense.…

• AlpineSuperstar

★★★★★ Watched by AlpineSuperstar 21 Apr, 2015

There is only one bad thing about Stalker. They say it closely resembles Solaris.

Stalker contains a lot of similar ideas as Tarkovsky's previous efforts, but these ideas are conveyed with a stronger attention to the philosophical undertones rather than the emotional ones. Both modes of expression are perfect for these concepts and I'm really happy Tarkovsky decided to make use of each one!

A beautifully bleak and depressing film that will leave you thinking for days.