• HannibalChew

★★★★★ Watched by HannibalChew 21 Nov, 2015

I've been intimidated by Tarkovsky, but the man is a genius. This one of the best films I've seen in my life, and I don't say this often; a true masterpiece in every way.

100 Favorite films

• Aron Steinn

★★★★½ Watched by Aron Steinn 26 Nov, 2015

Tarkovsky's Stalker is truly a film like no other...

It's very visually beautiful and i suppose that it could be interpreted in many ways but somehow i kept thinking of "The Zone" as the contaminated area otherwise known as chernobyl. I don't know if there's any connection with that and the zone but it might explain the supernatural powers the daughter has haha.

Im up for a discussion if you are :)

• Megan Anderson

★★★★★ Added by Megan Anderson

can't really say anything, i just wanna keep floating with it and not analyse the shit out of it

• Yum

★★★★★ Watched by Yum 23 Nov, 2015

The Temple of Doom has nothing on the ZONE

• mattmav45

Watched by mattmav45 23 Nov, 2015

Brief moments of clarity followed by stretches of unadulterated bewilderment.

My first Stalker viewing. As such, any attempt to provide analysis will ultimately be futile in nature. I awoke this morning with the realization that the viewing itself very much feels like a dream. Scenes in the film seem to mesh together with one another with philosophical discussions sprinkled in throughout. The imagery alone is simply fantastic, and that long take through the tunnel stands out at the moment as…

• Luke McCarthy

Watched by Luke McCarthy 23 Nov, 2015 4

In 35mm.

Rarely does a film leave me so completely enraptured, totally swept up within it's meditative, hypnotic rhythms, punctuated by a purely cinematic poeticism which rivals, and perhaps supersedes, any other. The first half is essentially perfect, introducing us into a foreign landscape through Tarkovsky's masterful manipulation of space, time and atmosphere, the methodical pacing never for a second giving way to boredom thanks to the pure inventiveness of everything which is splashed upon the screen (so many of…

• Samuel Harris

★★★★½ Watched by Samuel Harris 23 Nov, 2015

Viewed in 35mm

Tarvoksky's Stalker is wholly unique, inexplicably holy and possibly the greatest infusion of drama, thriller and sci-fi to grace the planet at this point in time; the only thing stopping me from giving this the full rating that it deserves is the ending, so we'll pretend it ends here and leave it at that.

• Eamon Willis

★★★★★ Watched by Eamon Willis 23 Nov, 2015

Although I think the last 15 minutes shouldn't be there, and I can think of at least 3 better points to end the movie, I can't drop this from 5. This is without a doubt a masterpiece and I would feel uncomfortable letting those last 15 minutes take that title away from it.

• Jacqueline

Watched by Jacqueline 23 Nov, 2015

Another film I fell asleep in at the Astor.

• Rashid

Added by Rashid

X-men Origins: Jean Grey

• Vinnie De Craim

★★ Added by Vinnie De Craim

Apart from the amazing production design, this was almost unendurable. How can an excellent film theorist, whose statements include 'cinema is the capture of reality over time' or 'cinema is the careful observation of reality', make a film like this? The characters talk like they swallowed a library, and after the first part, Stalker lost every bit of my emotional or intellectual involvement. That last shot was a perfect illustration of my boredom.

• Flovv

★★★★★ Watched by Flovv 14 Nov, 2015 1

What is the meaning of life? What is the Zone? And what exactly is reality? These questions and many more you will find yourselves asking as you enter the Zone, a place with a Room where all wishes come true. Don't expect too many answers, but try to enjoy the journey, even amidst the decay and ruin of both man and machine.

Tarkovsky's Zone is a place of magic, a place where ordinary physical laws don't apply. If one is…