• Jesse Kujala

★★★½ Watched by Jesse Kujala 20 Sep, 2014

• rycar88

★★★★ Added by rycar88

Andrei Tarkovsky is by all means an impossible director: his meticulous long-shots seem to unravel time itself; his sparse philosophical dialogue creeps into your vacuous head and spins around; his characters seem to be more caught up in themselves than in the world around them. All of this together creates a necessarily cerebral product, a film that both requires and repels your attention. With this methodology, Tarkovsky created some of his greatest masterpieces, including "Andrei Rublev" and "Solaris," and it…

• AngryAssSloth

Watched by AngryAssSloth 13 Sep, 2014

I'm not going to rate this one. I guess I'm too causal for this movie. Maybe I'll watch it again when I'm feeling more philosophical. The LONG drawn out shots just did not keep me interested.

• Tadas

[X] Yes
    [ ] No

• Landry Smith

★★★★★ Watched by Landry Smith 04 Sep, 2014

"In the end, everything can be reduced to the one simple element which is all a person can count upon in his existence: the capacity to love." Andrei Tarkovsky

"Stalker" is a slow crawl through an alien and non-linear world that offers a myriad of spiritual under currents. It is as visually striking as it is intellectually demanding.

• ab

★★★½ Watched by ab 03 Sep, 2014

2deep4me

• NickSalvo

★★★★★ Added by NickSalvo

Hauntingly beautiful and deeply thoughtful. A masterpiece.

• Michael

★★★½ Watched by Michael 20 Aug, 2011

Seems to be seeking a greater profundity than is actually communicated by the movie. Most of the time the attempt is absorbing; maintaining a perpetual state of impending revelation. And it's always, always beautiful - sometimes in horrible, disturbing ways.

• Naughty

★★★★ Watched by Naughty 24 Aug, 2014 5

Not a film I would recommend to the casual movie enthusiast! But if you are looking for a film that not only offers cinematic beauty but is also chock full of cerebral delicacies such as spirituality and philosophical conundrums!

In many ways the physical and emotional journey of the 3 men (And the Audience) appeared to be a spiritual pilgrimage of some sort!

On a side note Tarkovsky and several others may have died due to filming for extended periods of time in highly toxic areas while making this film!

• Robert Motherwell

★★★★½ Added by Robert Motherwell

Bizarre and hypnotic film that feels like a fable plays like one of the more exciting works that Andrei Tarkovsky ever directed.
    At just shy of three hours in length the film seems to go by relatively quickly.
    The first half is rather exciting as the three men: the stalker, the writer, and the scientist; find their ways to sneak past guards and boundaries to get to the zone-a transformative and cinematic move that reaches as high as the moment…

• Andrew

★★★★★ Added by Andrew

Intense, yet not exciting. Stalker is a that is poetic and meditative film that explores the nature of belief and human desire. Now currently available, legally, for free. News article linked here www.openculture.com/2010/07/tarkovksy.html

• Cameron Morewood

★★★★★ Rewatched by Cameron Morewood 16 Aug, 2014 2

Finally gave up on waiting for a blu-ray release and picked up the Kino DVD. Suffice it to say, a re-watch was needed. What a massive picture. I love how Tarkovsky was able, with both this film and Solaris, to craft science fiction that instead of gazing outward at fantasy, forces the audience to look inward at themselves. I adore films that are in equal parts aesthetically beautiful and thematically thought-provoking. To call Stalker thought-provoking though, is certainly understatement. What…