• M Kitchell

★★★½ Watched by M Kitchell 28 Dec, 2010

The last time I had watched a Tarkovsky film I was still living with my parents, and while I enjoyed it, I barely had the attention span necessary.  I understood that the movies I'd watched (Solaris and Mirror) were good, but basically I had to watch each of them in five minute chunks because they move so slowly.  Now it's easier for me to sort of just bask in the aestheticism.

• cerpts

★★★★½ Added by cerpts

___________________________________________________________
    Film # 18 of the "Scavenger Hunt #4" Challenge!
    Task #18 : An exquisite mindbender!
    letterboxd.com/naughty/list/scavenger-hunt-4/>
    letterboxd.com/cerpts/list/scavenger-hunt-4/)
    ___________________________________________________________
    If there's a way to sum up Andrei Tarkovsky's STALKER in a capsule review, then I sure don't know how to go about it. I can only say that STALKER is my favourite Tarkovsky film. Why? I'm not sure I can really put that into words either; other than to say that probably because it makes me think constantly throughout it's…

• Etan Weisfogel

★★★★½ Watched by Etan Weisfogel 17 Jul, 2015

My first Tarkovsky, and, though it was daunting, the film was much easier to adjust to than expected. Yes, it's "slow", but I found its rhythms totally hypnotic, especially on the gorgeous 35mm print I saw (sorry for the humblebrag). If you can't enjoy the film's meditation on faith, I'd argue you could just as easily enjoy this as an engrossing science fiction thriller, with a surprisingly healthy sense of humor. Not entirely sold on that ending (I understand its thematic purpose, but the film's post-Zone coda felt a little too protracted), but otherwise, a great introduction to Tarkovsky's work.

• GreatGuyJohnny

★★★★ Added by GreatGuyJohnny

Woa this was some fucked up shit!

I watched this a few weeks ago with a friend, Carlos. A mexican guy (I like mexicans). I thought it will be about zombies and shit, man. I heard It was a videogame about this thing of Stalkers and zombies, but I never played... And when I see the poster, I though "This seems so fucking zombie, and I like fucking zombies"

It was weird. I didn't understand it, it was the kind…

• Herrguth

★★ Watched by Herrguth 18 Jul, 2015

Movie #1 in Scavenger Hunt #4.
    Task #18: An exquisite mindbender!

I have to face it. Tarkovsky is just not my cup of tea.
    A couple of months ago I watched "Solaris" and I thought it was a decent movie, but I wasn't hooked on it.
    Now I thought I would give him another try and "Stalker" just didn't do it for me.
    I have no problems with slow movies, but this one was extremely slow and at times it…

• DannyGloverJr

★★★★★ Added by DannyGloverJr

Need to re-watch. 5/5 for now

• mannybeso

★★★★★ Watched by mannybeso 03 Jul, 2015

They say a couple people died from the effects of the toxic environment of the shooting locations for this film.
    People give up their lives for far more peltry things then one of the greatest films of all time. hell I'd probably willingly hang out on Tarkovskys set with the full knowledge of the consequences.

• Ryland Dinneen

★★★★★ Rewatched by Ryland Dinneen 05 Jul, 2015 1

Three cups of coffee and bowl of butter spaghetti later, I have realized that Stalker is the most beautiful movie I've ever seen.

I love films I can't understand. There's something about them...the mystery, the feeling that these films are "beyond" me...I can't pinpoint why. 2001: A Space Odyssey, Eraserhead, Persona, Stalker; they've all thrown my mind in a fucking loop-de-loop over and over again, yet they're still some of my most cherished films.

Stalker is deeply mysterious in a…

• Spesh to Death

★★★★ Added by Spesh to Death

There is a lot to unpack with Stalker, and I haven't really even begun, but my initial impression is one of a melancholy sort of loveliness that permeates the scenes in The Zone and the scenes with Monkey. The dense religious allegory and the open ended questions of purpose and desire are another, more difficult matter, one that I'm sure I'll be thinking about for some time.

• Yuri90

★★★★ Watched by Yuri90 02 Jul, 2015

24.

Un film importante, coraggioso e meritevole. Un film dove si incontrano tre diverse personalità che mettono a nudo il loro io interiore. Un profondo viaggio alla ricerca di se stessi.

• Mike Gorman

★★★★★ Added by Mike Gorman

Shameful I took so long to actually see it. If you are not familiar imagine Wings of Desire meets Terence Malick in slow motion. You have either been scared away or your curiosity has peaked. A brilliant film.

• TheAnalyzer

★★★★½ Added by TheAnalyzer 2

This review reportedly contains spoilers. I can handle the truth.

I saw this just yesterday, hoping to see a really cool sci-fi world with some amazing scenery. Although I got the scenery, the sci-fi was pretty weak. I should've expected that from an art film.

Now, don't get me wrong. I thought the movie was great. There are multiple aspects of film-making. Music, acting, character, scenery, cinematography, and story are all factors. But they need to work together. All aspects of the film amazed me on some level, b ut…