• PopsiclePete

★★★★★ Added by PopsiclePete

An easy five stars, this movie captures a part of what can make true science fiction great: a deep and complex setting that we spend the whole movie exploring. As we travel through this setting alongside deeply complicated and masterfully written characters we, at the same time, travel through the human condition, exploring the questions this genre is most apt to explore.

• alexbhades

★★★½ Watched by alexbhades 22 Apr, 2015

Me es tremendamente difícil juzgar esta película.
    Me pregunto como la valoraría si la hubiera visto sin tener ninguna información sobre ella, de cero. Pero como la he visto con el hype de lo que se comenta sobre ella, pero a la vez sin profundizar en el como y el porque de Tarkovsky pues me he quedado con la cara rara.
    Supongo que es una obra maestra, una peli increíble y todo eso, pero seguro, seguro no lo tengo.

• akash roy

★★★★★ Added by akash roy 2

Andrei Tarkovsky was the most spiritual and poetic director of all time.his films is like a dream . that is why he is one of the greatest director of all time. he doesn't explain. what should be explain any how? for him film were much more than synthesis of art . As he wrote himself he want to sculpt time and reach to inner truth of our existence . for him film is a way to reach the truth.his movie…

• exoplanett

★★★★½ Watched by exoplanett 04 Jan, 2012

A film to truly study and dissect. A leisurely paced adventure, following two men who are led by a "Stalker;" a man who has a certain mind power that can lead people to a Room where their secret desires are granted. A unique story based on a novel, captures raw footage in nature, with a sense of panic throughout.

• Jason Coyle

★★★★★ Rewatched by Jason Coyle 15 Apr, 2015

It is a wonderful thing to see a 35mm print of a film you consider one of the greats. Tarkovsky's majestic sci-fi demands that you up your game, concentrate dammit. It is bleak and yet oddly hopeful. Beautifully structured and shot in the most wonderful sepia at the beginning and end. Frustrating, beguiling, technically and thematically an absolute masterpiece.

• Philip Bagnall

★★★★★ Added by Philip Bagnall

The real sepia-tinged world is bleak. The coloured realm of the Zone is full of risk. Three men question their worth in a world losing faith. Their journey is perilous, and no outcome is guaranteed.

Despite all this, Stalker is one of the most profoundly hopeful things you could ever hope to see. Devastating.

• Andrew

★★½ Watched by Andrew 14 Apr, 2015

This review reportedly contains spoilers. I can handle the truth.

So I watched this film in three sittings and I want to take you through my thoughts during each sitting. I started the film on Sunday afternoon, following my writing of the Chinatown review. I went in expecting to dislike it, especially after my low opinion of The Mirror, but I'd seen stills that looked glorious and have heard great things, so I was hopeful. I made it through about forty five minutes before having to stop to go pick…

• radioclubjp

★★★★★ Watched by radioclubjp 14 Apr, 2015

There are films to which I can do nothing but standing in awe of. This is one of them.

• Alex Tărău

★★★★ Watched by Alex Tărău 14 Apr, 2015

78/100

Stalker is a slow film that lacks substance at times. But the director manages to hide it's flaws and to fool the audience by asking existential and philosophical questions - just like he does in Andrei Rublev. The film is filled with monologues about life and the meaning of our existence that distract the audience from the main plot. However, we never get to know the answers to this questions. They are placed there to be thought-provoking and to…

• Robert hhc

★★★★★ Rewatched by Robert hhc 13 Apr, 2015

Watching through this film 15 minutes or so at a time while reading Geoff Dyer's book Zona was a task I'd wanted to undertake for some time.

Yet I was worried that frequently stopping and starting a film that demands submission to its languid and contemplative pacing would ruin the experience by making it too fractured.

But it was foolish to worry. As it turned out I didn't have nearly as much trouble getting back into the film each time…

• Warren

★★★★½ Watched by Warren 05 Apr, 2015

For the first 15 minutes of this film, I was engaged but kind of dreading what I was in for. Then, for the next two hours, I was rapt. I'm still trying to process what happened after that. Tarkovsky creates a world that is so intriguing and so frightening that it astounds me how he did it, considering what was actually put in the frame. It would have been so easy to not do this right, and for the effect…

• Ian Campbell

★★★★½ Watched by Ian Campbell 04 Apr, 2015

Don't be surprised if I add that final half star in the next couple days. I'll definitely be thinking this one over for at least that long.