• Adam8174

★★★ Watched by Adam8174 01 Mar, 2014

A cautionary tale on the dangers of expectation. Having recently read and been fairly impressed (www.goodreads.com/review/show/840054192?book_show_action=false) by the original Roadside Picnic, my expectations for Stalker were high; everyone seems to be very impressed by it. There is a lot to be impressed by here. The cinematography is lush, expressive, and suggestive. The landscape of Tarkovsky's Zone is a rich and intricate post-industrial wastescape, stone crumbling under slick, foamy water and rusting frames disappearing in a vibrant and foregrounded weed ecology.…

• george the beast

★★★★★ Watched by george the beast 01 Mar, 2015

in case you decide to watch it just be patient, is not an easy trip but in the end you will have entered the room

• milo

Watched by Bobby Ge 22 Feb, 2015

wat

• Pedro Monteiro

★★★★★ Watched by Pedro Monteiro 20 Feb, 2015 12

When a man thinks of the past, he becomes kinder.

When the film ended, I just stayed there, staring at the screen. I had just witnessed something truly unique, extraordinary, transcendent: Andrei Tarkovsky's Stalker. My mind was dazzled and spinning. And this is the film, finally, that makes me question every other 5-star rating I've given.
    Stalker approaches countless themes, some of which very slightly, but they are there. And it can be interpreted in many different ways, depending on…

• Luis Baia

★★★★½ Watched by Luis Baia 20 Feb, 2015

The first thing to notice is that this is one of the most gorgeous filmed movies I've seen, each frame is like a painting of a master.

I cannot say that I fully understand it but I challenge anyone to try such a thing on first viewing (or 10 views). The review and partial theory that I've read from Jonathan White on this site seems to go closer to my own impressions, and since he writes much better than me better leave it like this.

Now I need to find time for a second viewing.

• util_monster

★★★½ Added by util_monster

im zonin

• Pulcinella

★★★★½ Watched by Pulcinella 15 Feb, 2015

This review reportedly contains spoilers. I can handle the truth.

Andrei Tarkovsky's Stalker (the name has no connection with the english word) is a meditative sci-fi arthouse film based on the Strugatsky brothers' novel Roadside Picnic. The movie was shot in an Estonian industrial facility whose radiations lead to sickness and death of several crew members, including Tarkovsky and his wife, both of whom died of cancer years later.

The movie incorporates some poems by Tarkovsky's father Arseniy and flows in a dreamlike manner like most of Tarkovsky's films, except…

• unhommesombre

★★★½ Watched by unhommesombre 14 Feb, 2015

Classic Tarkovsky and by that I mean like the other film by him I saw: Nostalghia... slow-paced, deeply meditative, has one constantly attempting to discern the meaning or just sit back and enjoy the tableaux vivants he shows. Leaves one with a sense of not knowing exactly what it all means, but feeling like one understands exactly the thoughts and actions of the characters

• Leonardo de Miranda Borba

★★★★½ Watched by Leonardo de Miranda Borba 14 Feb, 2015

If you end this film as you have began it, something is wrong... with you.

• Fsjallink