• nights57

★★★½ Added by nights57 1

Who the hell decided character outlines had to be black anyway?

Summer Wars is a delightful movie exploring the concept of family, identity and the internet at large, which are all very popular themes explored in Japanese media.
    Being an internet dweller, I found myself thoroughly enjoying how well thought-out the world felt. But let me jump to what I really want to talk about here: The animation.
    I absolutely adored seeing traditional animation and computer animation working in tandem…

• Jackier

★★★★½ Watched by Jackier 07 Oct, 2015

Summer Wars manages to do a lot with its nearly two hours runtime, and while it means it doesn't manage to excel in any of its themes and tends to fall back on familiar anime tropes, the film delivers a satisfactory experience wrapped in fantastic visuals.

• Rob Smith

★★★ Watched by Rob Smith 04 Oct, 2015

Shy and bumbling student Kenji is a maths whizz who finds himself well out of his depth when he agrees to masquerade as the beautiful Natsuki's fiancee at her family's get together. Bamboozled by her family as well as trying to cope with the fact he's in love with his fake fiancee he also becomes a wanted criminal. Accused of cyber crimes when one of his hacks is used to take over the internet and imperil the world his whole…

• Francois beavertree.

★★★★ Watched by Francois beavertree. 27 Sep, 2015

Oh boy the visuals were really great and the OZ world that they were in looked really cool, and the art style was really nice to look at, real interesting movie kept me immersed the whole time but the way things worked in the OZ world were a little vague or maybe I just missed it either way this was a really great movie.

• Alan

★★½ Watched by Alan 22 Sep, 2015

The first half is promising, but the plot quickly becomes extraordinarily corny. The 3DCG is pretty good, and the film isn't ugly; it's just not that great, especially for a theatrical release.

• Amy G

★★★★ Added by Amy G

The creativity actually blew my mind. So many things to look at. Brilliant animation.

• José Malvárez Carleos

★★★ Watched by José Malvárez Carleos 25 Mar, 2014

de cómo el anime puede hacer épico hasta un juego de cartas, ida de olla cibernética japonesa

• Carlos Rodríguez

★★★★★ Watched by Carlos Rodríguez 30 Aug, 2015

An ode to family values and their never-dying importance, this is a visually dazzling and masterful animated film that offers a display of imaginative storytelling, superb characterizations, outstanding timing for comedy and poignant emotional components. Its sci-fi-influenced storyline may present quite a few outlandish elements that are necessary to get used to during the first few minutes, but once the story kicked off and all the major characters were properly introduced, it grabbed my full attention to never let it…

• Antonio Quintero

★★★★ Watched by Antonio Quintero 07 Aug, 2011

A great fun anime about a family having an adventure in the internet. It has the most clever use of fighting on the internet.

• Jordan McLaughlin

★★★★½ Watched by Jordan McLaughlin 24 Aug, 2015

What started out as a cliche teen love story evolved into a badass cyper-brawl for the ages!

• Logan

★★★½ Watched by Logan 21 Aug, 2015

Summer Wars is an amalgamation of several things. It's like a Charles Dickens novel where everyone important somehow knows each other, it's like an average anime film where it's extremely melodramatic with all the other hallmarks that go along with that (most obviously in its final phase), it's like and it's even like a Yasujiro Ozu movie in the way that it largely focuses on a Japanese family in their beautiful old-style home, and has the old matriarch of the…

• jayjum

★★ Watched by jayjum 08 Aug, 2015

Not as fun as expected... Not recommended but not horrible