• Gabe Seidman

★★★½ Watched by Gabe Seidman 18 Jan, 2015

This review reportedly contains spoilers. I can handle the truth.

(note: I watched the dubbed version)

This movie is ridiculous. The final fight/battle scene or whatever was like some kind of combination between the old Digimon movie (same director, so makes sense) and an episode of YuGiOh. Anyways...

The movie is beautiful as you can tell from even the first 5 minutes. I loved the intro sequence with the orchestral arrangement and Kazuma's rabbit dude fighting the lightsaber robot or whatever that thing was. It got me really excited. And…

• eedgars

★★★ Added by eedgars

Nav tā, ka visas Mamoru Hosoda animē būtu ļoti labas. Liekas ka vairāk šim velk uz romatisko animē... Un Digimoniem.
    Arī šeit. Ir romantiskā līnija reālajā pasaulē un visādi digimonveidīgie - virtuālajā pasaulē OZ, kurā visi dzīvo gluži kā mēs feisbukā vai tviterī. Tikai tā OZ baigi advancēta un caur to var kontrolēt reālo pasauli.
    Un tad tur ir ļaunās progas un visāda izmēra hakeri.
    Nedaudz traucē tā mētāšanās starp romantisko un kiberpanku, bet ir interesati. Īpaši, ja lauzi galvu, kas notiks ja beigsies feisbuks :D

• Pallisadenhonko

★★ Added by Pallisadenhonko

Technically nice, but not very exciting

• Barrington

★★★★½ Rewatched by Barrington 06 Jan, 2015

Like the Digimon movie, but with math.

• Jason MD-P

★★★½ Watched by Jason MD-P 28 Dec, 2014

I liked the mix of real-life drama and science fiction. Detailed backgrounds, really pretty setting. Good message about family.

• Dorian Rodríguez

★★★ Watched by Dorian Rodríguez 15 Dec, 2014

Matrix with family values

• Alex Watson

★★★★★ Rewatched by Alex Watson 07 Dec, 2014

This review reportedly contains spoilers. I can handle the truth.

I’d have never thought the phrase “Please use my account!” would make me cry, yet here I am, leaking tears.

• Bludgeoner86

★★★★½ Watched by Bludgeoner86 14 Nov, 2014

One glance at the poster/cover of Summer Wars and one might expect... well I don't know honestly. A rabbit wearing a vest, a yellow squirrel and a girl with bunny ears? As it turns out these are avatars in the world's largest online community called Oz. These avatars have real life counterparts of course. Kenji is one such person, a boy in high school who actually moderates the online community part time with his friend Takashi. One day one of…

• Popkorn

★★★★★ Added by Popkorn

I do go into some very slight spoilers here, and I also go on at length about the Digimon TV series. This is how much of a nerd I am.

Summer Wars is not a great film on its own. The romance is underdeveloped, it keeps changing which character it puts the spotlight on without rhyme or reason, and it hardly seems to find any sort of direction until just before the very end. And yet, this movie flipped some…

• Jose González

★★★★½ Watched by Jose González 07 Nov, 2014

Fantástica. Inteligentemente construída y maravillosamente animada. Lo mejor es la forma en la que están articulados los distintos niveles de acción; el plano de las relaciones personales y los conflictos de la familia protagonista con la amenaza mundial y el mundo virtual. Realmente te absorbe rápidamente.

• Marco

★★★★½ Watched by Marco 05 Nov, 2014 1

Every now and then a film comes along that touches your soul in a special way. Hosoda's Summer Wars definitely fits into that category. It's bright,colourful and lots of fun. It has a story with heart and soul. And the concept of using a digital world of Oz where each living person has joined and created an avatar and mixing that up with the real world is just brilliant. Summer Wars is a highly recommended Japanese animation.

• Lee Towler

★★★½ Watched by Lee Towler 05 Nov, 2014

Oh my days! I have a huge guilty pleasure for Digimon: The Movie and only recently did I realise the guy that directed that essentially redid one of the chapters of that movie in Summer Wars. The great bit about this though, is that Summer Wars isn't terrible!

What surprised me though is that the digital world of Oz actually wasn't the greatest appeal the movie had for me. I watched this with the expectation that the family drama element…