• yureegasven

★★★★ Watched by yureegasven 31 Jul, 2014

very stupid but really fun

• Hannah M

★★★★ Watched by Hannah M 29 Jul, 2014

This review reportedly contains spoilers. I can handle the truth.

• frankenscales

★★★★ Rewatched by frankenscales 27 Jul, 2014

I have a lot of affection for this one. Recently discovered this was directed my Mamoru Hosoda, who had previously directed the Digimon Movies. I'm not familiar with Digimon, but I'm aware it's similarly about the digital world being infected by a virus and affecting the real world. It's hard not to make the assumption that Summer Wars may have been in his mind even then, something he wanted to make but instead he had to focus on a video…

• Ben Ace

★★★★ Watched by Ben Ace 26 Jul, 2014

Summer Wars is a visually stunning and heart warming anime film about family and cyber-terrorism. It's up to an awkward nerdy kid and a hot girl's family to save the world from a nuclear attack through virtual fighting game battles, hacking/math skills, and card games. Only in Japan.

• Anna

★★★★★ Watched by Anna 17 Jul, 2014

I can admit that there may be a few misconceptions about the movie that may lead the viewer astray from what he or she was expecting; the title and beginning scene with Kenji/Natsuki assumed an innocent romance adventure between two teenagers. Little did I know - INTERNET WAR WITH ARTIFICIAL INTELLIGENCE, FAMILY DYNAMICS, AND COLLECTIVE GOODNESS FROM STRANGERS ALL OVER THE WORLD. Perhaps the sort of frivolousness and rather convenient plotline may turn people off, but how can general fans…

• Craig Duffy

★★★★ Watched by Craig Duffy 15 Jul, 2014

A fun little flick and beautifully animated. A real clever way to balance a more domestic story with a more fantastical one. The action scenes in particular are amazing. A wonderful fluidity to them that you can't really recreate in live action.

• anne_f_

★★★★ Watched by anne_f_ 03 Jul, 2014

A surprisingly good science fiction animation - the idea of everyone around the world depending on an online platform and the way that this can be misused and endanger the world was interesting.

• javilost

★★★★ Watched by javilost 18 Jun, 2014

Que bien me lo he pasado. Me ha encantado todo, aunque creo que me quedo más con la trama familiar que la virtual.
    Enorme lo abuela. Lo mejor de todo.

• Phortuin

★★★ Added by Phortuin

Alle ingrediënten voor typische anime: vrolijk, grappig verhaal over familiereünie bij adellijke oma, temidden waarvan een wizzkid - verliefd op oma's kleindochter - een wereldbedreigend computervirus bestrijdt

• MartAiConan

★★★★★ Watched by MartAiConan 15 Jun, 2014

Siempre que haya ciencia ficción, fantasía, realidad virtual o algo similar, rompiendo con la rutina y la realidad, acabo locamente encantada y emocionada ♥
    No tenía ni idea de esta película, ni tan siquiera de que iba. Y he alucinado bastante!!!! La recomiendo!

• David

★★★★½ Watched by David 14 Jun, 2014

De Hosoda había visto sólo Wolf Children en un Sitges hace unos años (¿2012?) y me prometí ver más cosas de él nada más salir de la sala. Por fin me he puesto a ello, y creo que Summer Wars me ha gustado TODAVÍA más. ¡Que derroche de imaginación, que bien funciona la dualidad entre el mundo real y Oz, que fácilmente se explica la idiosincrasia de ese mundo virtual y que sorprendentemente épico y sensible resulta cuando le toca!.…

• vexeneven

★★★★ Watched by vexeneven 26 Jan, 2014

So cool.

Animation is BEAUTIFUL, story is good, and the characters are likable.

I would say more but I'd probably just ramble on about the animation.
    (cries silently because it is so beautiful)