• Liebermintz

★★★★★ Rewatched by Liebermintz 14 Dec, 2013

The animated family film has transcendent beyond basic moralizing and funny films the entire family will enjoy. Summer Wars is noticeably darker than its Disney/Pixar counterparts - while not as dark as, say, your average Satoshi Kon film or the similarly-family-friendly-but-not-really works of Hideaki Anno, it's still heavy with the themes of mortality, honor, betrayal, and nationalism. Hell, one could argue that this is a pure nationalist film since the heroes are Japanese and the antagonist was unleashed by the…

• Jeffrey Chen

★★★★ Watched by Jeffrey Chen 15 Sep, 2014

This movie has its weaknesses -- in particular, it runs the old anime cliche of employing the threat of a worldwide cataclysm in its third act (and this for a story about a family gathering), and it also makes this particular family's members and associates the catalyst for everything extreme that happens in the virtual world of OZ, from the code cracker to the fighting game expert to the freaking designer of the rogue A.I. That's a lot of coincidence…

• bailey

★★★★★ Added by bailey

This film was all around fantastic. The direction and pacing were right on for the feel-good fun that it was. Each character felt real and the weight of their actions carried. In a short time, I felt so attached to the characters, I ended up crying like a baby twice. This film is a must see for anyone - yes, even if you don't like anime!

• Melissa_Chin

★★★½ Added by Melissa_Chin

imagine being in a video game where the events play out in real life... intense.

This film was really enjoyable and different from the other anime fims that i've seen.

Liked it a lot. A mixture of happiness, love, death, grief and strong family bonds.

• Mischka

★★★★½ Watched by Mischka 29 Aug, 2014

After hearing that my hope for ever enjoying anime was dwindling, a friend recommended this. My faith is restored.

• Rian Miller

★★★★★ Watched by Rian Miller 17 Aug, 2014 1

I had a brief flirtation with anime when I was in high school because a bunch of my friends were into it. These days I still have a lot of respect for the genre, but find that it's hard to weed out the films and series' that will appeal to me. I'm not 100% sure how I heard about Summer Wars or what drew me to it, but it is easily one of the best anime films that I have…

• Will McGrew

★★★ Watched by Will McGrew 18 Aug, 2014

Part Juu San of August is Anime Month

"And if you remember nothing else, remember to find time to eat together as a family. Even when times are rough; especially when times are rough. There's no lack of painful things in this world, but hunger and loneliness must surely be two of the worst."

If in 2004 you had told someone that Mamoru Hosoda would be one of the most exciting anime directors ten years from now, they probably would…

• Lorenzo Gallardo

★★★★½ Watched by Lorenzo Gallardo 14 Aug, 2014

A really great take on where the world is headed and how we should focus on the important things like family and worldwide cooperation. :)

• Ethan Fardoux

★★★½ Watched by Ethan Fardoux 07 Aug, 2014

While immensely enjoyable, I found Summer Wars to feel more like two movies than one cohesive one. There are two primary stories - a typical family drama, whose issues with each other are worsened by the second narrative, the impending hacker-induced apocalypse. These two stories stand well on their own, but when thrown together there doesn't seem to be much linking them. The characters don't have time to develop in the hacker world, and so the film ends up feeling…

• Brett the Wiese

★★★★½ Watched by Brett the Wiese 04 Aug, 2014

A ridiculously gripping exercise in Japanimated style with a wonderfully realized central family and beautiful animation. Yes, it is heavily influenced by Digimon The Movie's second segment, hell the director worked on it, but he also improved upon the concept in this completely different animal of a movie. Also, I didn't understand the logic of OZ's physics and affectations but in a lesser work, the characters and situations wouldn't be so gripping. I look forward to Hosoda's next work, as he's already crafted 3 masterworks.

• Jamie

★★★★ Watched by Jamie 01 Aug, 2014

Very fun! The characters were lots of the fun and the family was very fun to observe throughout the film. The final half was amazing, the stakes kept getting bigger and bigger but the end was very satisfactory. Definitely worth a watch!

• yureegasven

★★★★ Watched by yureegasven 31 Jul, 2014

very stupid but really fun