• Daryl Purdie

★★★★ Watched by Daryl Purdie 25 Apr, 2015

#Filmreview Summer Wars ★★★★ More great Japanese animation, this one covers Family & the virtual world very nicely with 2 art styles to suit

• A Room with a Moose

★★★½ Watched by A Room with a Moose 22 May, 2015

What can I say? I loved the colorful designs and the detailed, fast-paced animation along with its upbeat and energetic atmosphere but it wasn´t anything mindblowing in my book. To be fair the story it´s all over the place and it has a kinda original take on virtual reality but the main characters are forgettable and the two stories (The family reunion and the whole hacking A.I plot) felt more or less forcefully joined.

The art direction was fantastic but I feel there was something missing.

• Joe Cool

★★★★★ Rewatched by Joe Cool 06 May, 2015

Mamoru Hosoda has a rare gift. He creates truly believable, sympathetic, and charming characters who feel perfectly at home in the stories he tells, no matter how fanciful. This might not sound like an extraordinary ability but my list of artists who can successfully pull it off is very short (Miyazaki and Nick Park would be a couple others).

Whenever I watch Summer Wars I'm almost disappointed when the action kicks in. It would be more than enough for me…

• MasterPike

★★★ Watched by MasterPike 13 May, 2015

Didn't enjoy it as much as "Wolf Children", though the director's obsession with families is still here, along with journeying to rural parts of Japan.

I wasn't as taken in by the trippy visuals of Oz as I guess others perhaps were. It's certainly a highly original story and a multiple character film where no-one in particular takes the lead. I did get choked up when other users were waging their avatars to take out Love Machine, slightly embarrassing but I was moved by this coordinated effort of humanity to do good.

• jasoninatree

★★★★★ Watched by jasoninatree 09 May, 2015

The A.I., Love Machine is a silent version of Ultron from Avengers: Age Of Ultron. Though Love Machine stays in the virtual world. The main characters deal with real family issues in the real world whilst fighting Love Machine in the virtual world, Avengers style. Great movie.

• Kev.

★★★★★ Rewatched by Kev. 30 Apr, 2015

SUMMER WARS combines the deep, emotionally tenous ties of family with a killer science fiction plot to produce one of the best animated films in recent years. The director, Mamoru Hosoda, has been compared to legendary Hayao Miyazaki himself and while I don't really think that is the best comparison...he's certaintly a talent to be reckoned with. Every single frame here is gorgeously animated. The score is sparse, but knows when to roar in and racket up the tension or…

• copeland57

★★★★½ Watched by copeland57 29 Apr, 2015

Really cool concept

• Thejrdzone

★★★★½ Rewatched by Thejrdzone 26 Jan, 2015

A good film that comments on the importance of family and our dependance on the information super-highway.

• Alan Jeffrey

★★★ Watched by Alan Jeffrey 24 Apr, 2015

An ever-increasingly over-the-top, endlessly joyous thrill ride while serving as a simple, singular demonstration of the value of connection amidst many enjoyably absurd unashamed leaps and bounds in narrative and emotional logic.

• Shervin Ghiami

★★★★★ Watched by Shervin Ghiami 23 Apr, 2015

Evocation of the communal spirit and the natural human condition is my weakness when it comes to film. I hold movies like 'The Little Princess', and 'A Bug's Life' precisely for this reason. The enemy is very clearly depicted, and everyone motivates each other to defeat him despite all the odds. It's the type of thing that makes for an excellent sports headline.

Summer Wars is even more emotionally penetrating because of its incredible art direction and unbelievably thrilling story.…

• Joshua Thomas

★★★★★ Added by Joshua Thomas

With great characters, emotional weight, funny humour, creative visuals, an intense climax and promoting the importance of family values, "Summer Wars" is an extremely satisfying Anime film that anyone should check out. With "The Girl Who Leapt Through Time", "Wolf Children" and this, Mamoru Hosoda is proving himself to be the best Japanese Non-Miyazaki/Studio Ghibli animator working today.

• Boost

★★★★ Added by Boost

This review reportedly contains spoilers. I can handle the truth.

A code monkey, Kenji, is taken to the countryside by the most popular girl in school, Natsuki. To his surprise, her family lives in Ueda Castle. Not only that, she has told them that he is her fiance, among other lies in order to impress the matriarch. When Kenji solves a late night puzzle sent to him by phone, a hacker uses the answer to devastate the real world with cyber-terrorism. Oz is amazing and outside the animation is good. Fun story with bits of real history (the Sanada's did defend that castle twice 400+ years ago against superior numbers).