• Thejrdzone

★★★★½ Rewatched by Thejrdzone 26 Jan, 2015

A good film that comments on the importance of family and our dependance on the information super-highway.

• Alan Jeffrey

★★★ Watched by Alan Jeffrey 24 Apr, 2015

An ever-increasingly over-the-top, endlessly joyous thrill ride while serving as a simple, singular demonstration of the value of connection amidst many enjoyably absurd unashamed leaps and bounds in narrative and emotional logic.

• Shervin Ghiami

★★★★★ Watched by Shervin Ghiami 23 Apr, 2015

Evocation of the communal spirit and the natural human condition is my weakness when it comes to film. I hold movies like 'The Little Princess', and 'A Bug's Life' precisely for this reason. The enemy is very clearly depicted, and everyone motivates each other to defeat him despite all the odds. It's the type of thing that makes for an excellent sports headline.

Summer Wars is even more emotionally penetrating because of its incredible art direction and unbelievably thrilling story.…

• Joshua Thomas

★★★★½ Added by Joshua Thomas

Visually creative, funny, charming, emotional and downright intense and engaging, "Summer Wars" is a great Anime film that anyone can get themselves wrapped into the storyline and enjoy the world of Oz.

• Boost

★★★★ Added by Boost

This review reportedly contains spoilers. I can handle the truth.

A code monkey, Kenji, is taken to the countryside by the most popular girl in school, Natsuki. To his surprise, her family lives in Ueda Castle. Not only that, she has told them that he is her fiance, among other lies in order to impress the matriarch. When Kenji solves a late night puzzle sent to him by phone, a hacker uses the answer to devastate the real world with cyber-terrorism. Oz is amazing and outside the animation is good. Fun story with bits of real history (the Sanada's did defend that castle twice 400+ years ago against superior numbers).

• Yumin Ha

★★★½ Added by Yumin Ha

pretty new

• Jason Southern

★★★★½ Rewatched by Jason Southern 04 Apr, 2015

Oh damn! The Internet is messed up. And the land of Oz, a virtual world that combines social networking with video games and the word wide web, has been corrupted.

It's a technical catastrophe, but luckily there's a teenage math brainiac named Kenji who may be able to save the day, if only he can get his avatar to face off with the towering cyber-villain Love Machine who sets Kenji up as the fall guy for the ensuing. Aided by…

• russman

★★★½ Watched by russman 05 Apr, 2015 1

Hack the planet

• Nil

★★★★★ Watched by Nil 31 Mar, 2015

Let's fight!

• Cameron M. Gambas Johnson

★★★ Added by Cameron M. Gambas Johnson

Here’s a disappointing anime that pulls us in with masterful visual wizardry and leaves us confused at the end. It’s not that we don’t know how we got here, but why we got here. A 2009 film directed by Mamoru Hosoda, with writing by Satoko Okudera (also writer of “The Wolf Children”), “Summer Wars” is pleasing to the eye but lacks substance and logical characterization. It’s a film that opens all the roads to being a masterpiece, but takes a…

• Kevin Nickens

★★★★½ Watched by Kevin Nickens 23 Mar, 2015

This review reportedly contains spoilers. I can handle the truth.

This anime movie was just superb. The English voice acting was on point. The animation was awe-inspiring, and the story was multi-focal. On one front of this movie, it is a coming of age story about a boy who likes a girl. On another front, this movie serves as a very poignant reminder of just how pervasive and controlling the internet is in our every day lives. I agree with this movie for its many aspects and the layered storytelling that was implemented. Summer Wars is a refreshing breath of air that does not disappoint. Definitely worth a watch and maybe a purchase!

• AkiyoH

★★★ Watched by AkiyoH 21 Mar, 2015

A lot of mixed feelings about this one.

In some ways, this is a very ambitious film, mashing together a heartfelt family drama (not unlike a more kid-friendly Ozu) with colorful virtual world characters duking it out. It's an interesting and odd combination, and I applaud the way it mostly comes together well. Much of the animation—both of countryside and home life scenes in the "real world," and of the frenetic virtual world—is gorgeous.

...Which is why it was all…