• Alison

★★★★½ Watched by Alison 19 Aug, 2014

This movie is so deliciously dark and in many aspects, a lot better than Kick-Ass. The ending was actually extremely satisfying in that is wasn't a "Disney" ending but more realistic. Also, I'm probably extremely mental for finding all the darkness so funny.

• Michael

★★★½ Watched by Michael 15 Apr, 2011

Chances are you'll either think "Super" is great or you'll think it's horrible, disturbing, and obscene. I think it's pretty great. And horrible. And disturbing. And perpetually on the brink of toppling from cutting, insightful commentary into vulgar exploitation.

• Dan Gibel

★★★★ Watched by Dan Gibel 18 Aug, 2014

This is certainly a hard watch, and I'm not entirely sure if it even has anything to say but I couldn't help but be enthralled (probably because of the style and the involvement of James Gunn). An obvious comparison is Kick-Ass, but that film was clearly a tongue in cheek satire on hyper-violence and youth culture, this seems to be aiming at something much darker. There will definitely be conversations about this one to come, which means I have to respect it at the very least.

• Jason Ooi

★★½ Watched by Jason Ooi 17 Aug, 2014

I honestly don't know what I feel about this film.

Despite making me laugh, Super was just a very uncomfortable, cringe-inducing experience at times. I'm normally an advocate of dark humor, but this was just a bit hard to watch.

You could definitely tell that this movie was made by James Gunn though: the use of music was very well done and the dialogue was very anti-cliche, in a so stupid it's funny way. Nathan Fillion as the Holy Avenger was hilarious though!

Super was a movie that was worse than Kick Ass but better than Kick Ass 2 .

• HarpoGarza

★★★★½ Added by HarpoGarza

This was not AT ALL what I was expecting based on the brief snippet I saw before watching this film. This is the type of movie that I think Kickass (and to a much lesser extent, Kickass 2) was trying to be. I'd call it a "dark comedy" but frankly this is much more a drama than anything resembling comedy. There are jokes and gags to be had, for certain, but this is a movie with a dark, bleak soul…

• Mild Sauce

★★★½ Added by Mild Sauce

I confess I wasn't expecting much from this, and I was very pleasantly surprised. It's a very rewarding twisted black comedy tweaking comic book tropes--like a more gonzo Kick Ass or Watchmen if Zack Snyder got the joke.

• Bankyed

★★★ Watched by Bankyed 11 Aug, 2014

This was a weird film, felt like a bit of an odd-ball comedy at times then culminated in quite a dark conclusion to the film.

Overall it was a good watch, another top James Gunn film, Rainn Wilson does a good job as the lead character & Kevin Bacon is always watchable.

• Cody Lang

★★ Watched by Cody Lang 16 Aug, 2014

This movie is the definition of half-baked. A lot of potential and Ellen Page is pretty good but otherwise this movie is a huge misfire.

• Chris Sumner

★★★★ Rewatched by Chris Sumner 13 Aug, 2014

The heart warming story of Psychopath.
    With Bacon!

• Andrew

★★★★ Watched by Andrew 10 Aug, 2014

It's weird to think of this as a superhero movie because of how it actively avoids all trappings and tropes of the usual Hollywood blockbuster. Rainn Wilson is terrific in it and the laughs are consistent.

• MatthewLB

★★½ Watched by MatthewLB 13 Aug, 2014

After his wife leaves him for a drug-dealing scumbag, Frank D'Arbo decides that his miserable life has meaning after all and he transforms into the Crimson Bolt. He metes out justice, in increasingly psychopathic fashion, to those he feels deserve punishment. This movie was a big rip-off of kick-ass and this movie is not funny more like messed up.

• seasondays

★★★½ Watched by seasondays 08 Aug, 2014

great ideas but the movie falls flat directed with little or no energy; everything could be great but there is something missing.