• Jacob Gehman

★★★★★ Added by Jacob Gehman

Super is a normal premise these days--common man decides to turn superhero. However, James Gunn takes the premise into the absurd--utilizing dark, violent comedy in a way that would make Robert Rodriguez proud.

Ellen Page starts off the endearing sort of character we're familiar with from Juno and Hard Candy, before going completely Ritalin-psycho with it. It's rather refreshing to see her in such a no-holds barred role. Rainn Wilson is not the most versatile actor ever, but he is…

• barcalounger

★★★½ Watched by barcalounger 05 Oct, 2014

Have you ever seen somebody cut in line and wanted to brain them with a pipe wrench? Eaten eggs with Kevin Bacon (there's an eggs and bacon joke in there somewhere)? Spoken directly to god and his holy answer to your problems included becoming a super hero?

Funny, disturbing, unexpectedly realistic in it's violence. The tone is all over the place, but somehow it still works. Ellen Page is great.

• Jonathan Wright

★★ Watched by Jonathan Wright 05 Oct, 2014

Watching the first 20 minutes of Super is not fun, in the traditional sense. Almost every joke falls flat, the excessive violence is not shocking, just unwanted, and one forgets why they once thought Rainn Wilson was a genuinely funny guy. It is only after this, once Ellen Page enters the film as a comic-book nerd and bloodthirsty fangirl do things get interesting. Page's energy is electric, and she throws herself into the role that it is almost embarrassing, almost…

• Joe DiCanio

• Jaime Schroemgens

★★★★ Watched by Jaime Schroemgens 02 Oct, 2014

• ReCreation

★★★★½ Rewatched by ReCreation 01 Oct, 2014

There are numerous themes and ideas in this film that are handled with more intelligence and wit then any of its peers. It never shies away from the uncomfortable psychosis of a man who places it upon himself to beat crime bloody, and makes sure to keep the viewer unnerved throughout its fantastic action sequences. Super is an under rated and superb commentary on a not-all-together healthy fantasy of our culture.

• Nicole Talbot

★★★★½ Watched by Nicole Talbot 30 Sep, 2014

Rainn Wilson: Flawless
    Ellen Page: Hilarious if not slightly annoying at times
    Soundtrack: Pretty damn awesome

I laughed and cried all throughout this film. The humor was fitting and even the more dramatic bits worked perfectly to make this one of the best dark comedies I have seen in a very long time.

• Sam Morris

★★½ Added by Sam Morris

I thought this movie had a crappy origin story but some really funny bits were thrown in as well. There were also parts of the film where the humor seemed to be forced onto the viewer. The motives of the villain aren't made particularly clear and Liv Tyler is literally wasted in this movie. The main thing I didn't like is the build up to the final battle which was disappointing at best. The costume designs were original I'll give you that but the premise defeated me. I thought it was sub par after Kick-Ass.

• Andreas Walther

★★ Rewatched by Andreas Walther 26 Sep, 2014

A rather sordid and grimy small picture that trafficks in Troma creature design, gore and rudimentary writing. Fraught with horrific sexual politics, questionable view on mental health and ugly digital filmmaking. If Guardians of the Galaxy inspired doubt concerning Gunn's qualities as a filmmaker, Super confirms it.

• Jarret

★★★½ Watched by Jarret 20 Sep, 2014

Rainn Wilson's great performance is probably the best thing about this film. He is perfect for the role, and I would really be interested in him doing more stuff like this in other movies. Still a pretty entertaining flick. It's a bit all over the place and camerawork is shitty, but the style is great as is the score, and there some surprisingly effective emotional moments as well. It's a shame James Gunn will be stuck in the MCU for a while and won't be able to make another film like this and Slither.

• Nathan Lambert

★★★★★ Added by Nathan Lambert

Amazing movie! Amazing performances by all the cast. This is a dark comedy film, where an ordinary man loses his wife to a drug dealer. He decides to safe her by putting on a costume, calling himself The Crimson Bolt and taking to the streets to beat the crap outta people with a wrench. Along the way he meets many interesting characters including Ellen Page's Boltie and a TV superhero played by Nathan Fillion. Now this is a very dark…