• Julie Davis

★★★ Added by Julie Davis

Enjoyable but fell short in a lot of ways.

• Ángela C.

★★★ Watched by Ángela C. 24 Aug, 2014

The movie have some referents from Lost.

• Michael

★★★★ Watched by Michael 03 Jul, 2011

A beautiful, nostalgic film capturing a more innocent style of filmmaking along with a more innocent view of adolescent adventure and romance than we generally see in movies now. And yet it also feels more truthful than the jaded, pessimistic, and self-indulgently bombastic threat-escalation that pervades most modern adventure films. This film trusts the threat it introduces to be sufficient without unnecessary multiplication.

The performances by the "kids" in the cast are spot-on believable as actual children just beginning to mature. Elle Fanning in particular is a revelation and definitely looks to be an actress to watch for.

• MCholodewitsch

★★★½ Added by MCholodewitsch

The interactions between the kids is the highlight of this film. So because of this the first act was the most enjoyable. The second was quite good too if you like a little sci-fi suspense that keeps the creature in the dark. The third act is the worse. The creature isn't that visually original or interesting. The fact that its 'misunderstood' is too cliched. And the emotional climax with the main protagonist wasn't very engaging. But i enjoyed the first two acts so much that i find it, slightly, makes up for the disappointing finale.

• JDoe

★★½ Watched by JDoe 18 Aug, 2014

La pandilla me gusta, pero tanta espectacularidad (ya desde el momento tren) mata la película.

• 1637inc

★★★½ Added by 1637inc

Just like old times!!

• Philip Heard

★★★★★ Rewatched by Philip Heard 14 Aug, 2014

I liked this the first time I saw it, I loved it the second time. Elle Fanning should have been wearing a ski mask, because she was stealing scenes left and right. Joel Courtney's performance was excellent as well. Michael Giacchino's score was good, but frankly I would like it to have been more engaging and noticeable. I'm not one to complain about a score being manipulative, I enjoy when it induces emotion. Obviously, films like E.T. and The Goonies inspired this film, and in my opinion Super 8 surpasses them.

• Gonçalo

★★★ Rewatched by Gonçalo 14 Aug, 2014

Better when dealing with the interaction between the kids than when dealing with the monster itself.
    And watch out for Elle Fanning. Her performance is perfect.

• zama

★★★½ Watched by zama 10 Aug, 2014

Spielberg: "J.J., toma pasta y hazme una peli tipo ET"
    J.J.: "¿Puedo ponerle brillitos azules?"
    Spielberg: "Como si no hubiese un mañana"
    J.J.: "Pues dicho"

Memorable quote: "Production value!"

• Jeremy

★★★★ Added by Jeremy

Super 8 is a wonderful film about the innocence of childhood. This film is a great nod to classic storytelling and good old Sci-fi films. My favorite film by J.J Abrams for a variety of reasons. Super 8 is a film about growing up, struggle with unfortunate life circumstances, young love, and friendships; the aliens and filmmaking are merely in the background. As an aspiring filmmaker growing up, this film was fun to watch and brought back good memories. The…

• moviedave

★½ Rewatched by moviedave 05 Aug, 2014

the goonies meets E.T.

I don't know what the fascination is with spielberg making movies about kids.

like I said, the goonies; gang of kids making a zombie movie in their hick town, witness a secret military train crash. something wierd on train escapes, terrorises town.
    kids save the day!! blah blah blah. que the tear jerking E.T ending.

it seems spielberg has thrown elements of most of his biggest hit movies into one melting pot (close encounters, goonies, E.T)…

• Mark Birchall

★★★★½ Rewatched by Mark Birchall 05 Aug, 2014

Super 8 excels in similar ways to Cloverfield - the pacing is perfect and the monster is never exploited. Much kudos should go to the kids who make this movie as great as it is.