• Dave Holmes

★★★★★ Added by Dave Holmes

Lacks Spielberg's indefinable 80s magic when it comes to suburbia but reaches high throughout, and almost nails it in several scenes, especially the last. Echoes (or full-on screams!) of E.T., Goonies, Poltergeist, Jaws throughout, and generally a straight take on the era, with some gratuitous dialogue about a Walkman the only obvious self-awareness, otherwise some nicer, more subtle stuff like the 3-Day film processing. Abrams doesn't top Trek here for thrills, humour, dialogue or lensing (although there's a tad less…

• tjevans

★★★★ Watched by tjevans 28 Sep, 2015

Impressive treatment and use of children (in this case, junior-high aged teens) takes a generic story and makes it very special.

• Dennie van der Tuuk

★★★★½ Rewatched by Dennie van der Tuuk 08 Jul, 2015

I was sold after the first minute when Michael Giacchino captures the right tone for this movie, wonderfull score. Loved it even more then the first time i saw it in cinemas. The love that has been put into this movie comes right at you through the screen. Great film by J.J. "lens-flare" Abrams.

• Hunter Brockmann

★★★★★ Watched by Hunter Brockmann 26 Nov, 2011

"Super 8" is a movie from 2011 that's written and directed by J.J. Abrams and produced by Steve Spielberg.

The basic plot of this story is that a group of friends in the summer of 1979 are making a little film. However, all of there lives change when they capture something on their super 8 camera during a train accident. What they capture, is something they could have never imagined.

I got to say it. This movie was amazing in…

• Danielcue

Watched by Danielcue 16 Sep, 2015

La película me gusto al principio, tiene un tinte a los goonies, sin embargo a medida que avanza la historia pierde fuerza e interés.

• Hannah

★★★★★ Added by Hannah

This review reportedly contains spoilers. I can handle the truth.

This is my all-time favorite movie, and I don't even know why. This is definitely not the best movie I've ever seen, but I can't get over it. When it first came out, I thought it looked terrible, but my dad made the whole family see it with him and I was blown away. I had the biggest crush on Joel Courtney and, as it turned out, I was only a couple weeks older than him (good job being a…

• Will Glover

★★★ Rewatched by Will Glover 23 Sep, 2015

First time I saw this I was definitely wearing rose-tinted glasses - I loved the trailer and desperately wished the film would live up to it. Second time round and I'm much more capable of seeing its flaws - most obviously that the third act is horribly underwritten, resolving both the film's emotional stakes and the conclusion to the main storyline far too hastily. The other main problem is that the film never really rises beyond the level of homage…

• PappaNate

★★½ Watched by PappaNate 19 Sep, 2015

J.J and his Amblin loving crew strive to homage Spielberg as overtly as they can but what is left is a schmaltzy big budget mess with its metaphors of grief and letting go coming across as subtle as a big rubber mallet .

• Jason Bentley

★★★★½ Rewatched by Jason Bentley 31 Aug, 2015

Let me start by saying I love JJ Abrams and Spielberg. This movie seems to me that it was literally them have the most fun making a movie and reminiscing. I love this movie, the feel, the story, the acting. I connected to this movie probably for the same reason Abrams and Spielberg enjoyed making it. I love movies, this is the type of movie which makes me wish I had gotten into making movies.

• nico

★★★ Added by nico

Can't remember A SINGLE THING but I guess there was a giant demon alien creature? If so that was cool I guess.

• William Kretschmer

★★★ Watched by William Kretschmer 26 Aug, 2013

During the summer of 1979, a group of friends witness a train crash and investigate subsequent unexplained events in their small town.
    Something like a Goonies vs. Alien, all done professionally and in good taste, but hardly exciting, and it takes ages till you get to see the monster.

• André Dick

★★★★★ Rewatched by André Dick 13 Sep, 2015

Na primeira vez em que assisti a "Super 8", lembro de ter atrapalhado um pouco a tentativa de dialogar com "E.T.", "Os Goonies" e "Contatos imediatos do terceiro grau". Depois de visto algumas vezes, e cada vez mais comprovada a qualidade de J.J. Abrams como diretor, "Super 8" vem se tornando um filme ainda melhor. Há uma densidade dramática que pode fugir à primeira vista, assim como considerar comum a excelência do elenco infantojuvenil. Filmes como esse melhoram quando se tem uma noção mais clara de que estão longe de serem comuns, e a passagem de anos colabora para isso.

Full review: