• Dean Carlyle

★★★★½ Rewatched by Dean Carlyle 21 Jul, 2014

I treated myself to the Blu-ray of this film as I found a really good offer on it and it was one of my favourite films of 2011 and is a great homage to some of my favourite films of my youth. The acting by the young leads is some of the best there has been by child actors, the story is fantastical and touching and the effects excellent. I watched it with my partner Diane who had never seen it before and I cant think of a better way to while away a warm summer evening before bed.

• Chris Vallée

★★★★½ Rewatched by Chris Vallée 19 Jul, 2014

Production Value!

• Samj11

★★★★ Added by Samj11

A science fiction film with a tremendous amount of charm and heart. The cast, young and old, do a stand-up job and the action and special effects are fantastic. I really found myself absorbed into the story as well, which I was happy about as I've wanted to watch this film for years.

J. J. Abrams did a great job at crafting this film. It's a modern classic.

• Patrick Campbell

★★★★★ Rewatched by Patrick Campbell 16 Jul, 2014

"I'm just doing the best I can to save you."

There's a much longer, older review on here somewhere when I first really started reviewing films about how much I adore this film. This is how family films used to be made of. This is The Goonies meets E.T.: The Extraterrestrial. J.J. has created a really amazing love letter to the Spielberg films of the 1980s and 1990s. The cast is wonderful, and the kids just gel so well together.…

• Stef

★★½ Watched by Stef 16 Mar, 2014

To be honest I lost interest about halfway through. I blame this on my dislike for Kyle Chandler and the rest of the cast, with the exception of Elle Fanning and Noah Emmerich, who were great. This is a non-review, because just as I couldn't bother paying attention at the time and chose to instead look the plot up on Wikipedia, I really don't care enough now, either, to spend five minutes writing a proper review.

• Lewiss

★★★★★ Rewatched by Lewiss 12 Jul, 2014

A beautiful love letter to the craft of film-making, and in my opinion the closest a director who is not Steven Spielberg has come to making a Steven Spielberg movie. A monster movie that isn't about the monster is such a good way to tell a story about telling stories, and Abrams tells it wonderfully.

• Ian Buckwalter

★★★ Watched by Ian Buckwalter 07 Jun, 2011

Read my DCist review.

• Knox Gray

★★★★ Added by Knox Gray

Hearkens back to 80's film sci-fi too perfection.

• Guillermo Bosque

★★★★ Watched by Guillermo Bosque 22 Mar, 2014

Consensus: Super 8 is a fantastic sci-fi film that has terrific performaces, engaging characters and a terrifying creature, though I have to admit that is a bit forgettable. 83/100 [B+]

In the summer of 1979, a group of friends in a small Ohio town witness a catastrophic train crash while making a super 8 movie and soon suspect that it was not an accident. Shortly after, unusual disappearances and inexplicable events begin to take place in town, and the local…

• joelymalereview

★★ Watched by joelymalereview 03 Jul, 2014

I felt so detached from this movie and its universe. I had no investment in this film and I can't work out why. I wanted to like this movie; I really did. But in the end I didn't care about its characters or there outcomes. The final climax sees our leads in peril but I really didn't care whether they lived or died. That's never a good thing. Part of it is definitely because of some hit or miss actors.…

• JaySalahi

★★★★ Rewatched by JaySalahi 01 Jul, 2014

B+ (89)

• johnch

★★★½ Rewatched by johnch 25 Jun, 2014

Lovely throughout with a refreshingly controlled pace for a summer movie.