• Nick Rogers

★★★★★ Rewatched by Nick Rogers 09 May, 2014

Teen filmmakers use a train accident to boost their movie's cinematic cred, unaware a large, nasty alien escaped from the wreck and is pursuing them. Writer-director J.J. Abrams offers note-perfect riffing on Steven Spielberg's classic Amblin adventures like Gremlins or The Goonies. He's not just nostalgically imitating a master. He's infusing his story with his own impish, idiosyncratic exploration of teen identity. To wit: The creature's subterranean-insect face (resembling a runty cousin to Cloverfield) remains hidden for 90 minutes. Still, we recognize the personality he shares with the passionate kids he's chasing: Misunderstood, occasionally destructive, but empathetic if emotionally engaged.

• Anthony Albarran

★★★★ Added by Anthony Albarran

Very entertaining throwback to Steven Spielberg's blockbusters.

• Paul Armstrong

★★★★ Added by Paul Armstrong

Speilberg-esque

• Ben Garnhum

★★★★ Added by Ben Garnhum

Cool, smart, young, JJ.

• Jason MD-P

★★★★ Added by Jason MD-P

Almost all of those stars are because of the fantastic cast of kids. The homesick alien subplot (which is how I like to think if it) was okay, but pretty typical for the sort of thing it was. I. Did really have fun watching it nevertheless.

• jwicks86

★★★★ Rewatched by jwicks86 16 Jan, 2015

The youngest members of the cast steal the show with Elle Fanning the stand out performer.

As with every J.J Abrams film it's beautifully shot but this is undoubtedly his most stylistically distinctive effort.

The focus on the younger cast members does leave the adults a little 2-dimensional and the plot a bit perfunctory but these are minor gripes.

• Eduardo Rodrigues

★★★½ Rewatched by Eduardo Rodrigues 15 Jan, 2015

Quando vi este filme a primeira vez não fazia ideia do que me esperava e fiquei surpreendentemente agradado. Agora que revi o filme já não conseguiu ser a mesma coisa, talvez pela surpresa que causou a primeira vez, mas continuo achar um excelente título. A ver!!

• George Tromero

Added by George Tromero

Quiso el destino que durante este viaje tuviese la oportunidad de ver 2 de los blockbusters veraniegos que más pendientes que tenía: 'Super 8' y 'Guardians of the Galaxy'. He de reconocer que, igual que me sucedió cuando vi Gravity, las condiciones no eran ni mucho menos idóneas: una pantalla pequeña, SD, audio ratonero... y las distracciones de volar EN PRIMERA CLASE. Pero ambas experiencias fueron la mar de disfrutables. En el caso de 'Super 8', y sin haber visto…

• Emma Lane

★★★★½ Rewatched by Emma Lane 07 Sep, 2011

EN

• Emma Lane

★★★★½ Watched by Emma Lane 17 Aug, 2011

NL

• Brian McLain

★★½ Added by Brian McLain

J.J. Abrams, for better or for worse, is a director whose work is recognizable. That’s actually a rare thing in Hollywood, at least on a popular level. First, just to get it out of the way, there’s the lens flare. Some people seem to have a problem with this, but I don’t mind it. It’s his calling card and I never find it really distracting. I even find it interesting. There’s also his other flare, er, flair – for the…

• Oliwe

★★★★★ Added by Oliwe

A group of kids want to make a Zombie film. That idea is awesome!

One of the best movies I have ever seen. I can watch it over and over again.

Basically The Case is the real movie and Super 8 is just the "making of".