• Dirk van Eck

★★ Watched by Dirk van Eck 15 Sep, 2014 3

In between his two great Star Trek films, J.J. Abrams brings us ‘Super 8’, a Spielbergian picture about a group of youngsters that are shooting a movie, which soon gets them enrolled into some mystical happenings surrounding a train accident. It’s so much in line with the world’s most famous director his basic formula that I seriously thought it was made by Steven himself; as such, ‘Super 8’ works superbly as a homage to the legendary entertainer, but as something…

• John Connor

★★★ Watched by John Connor 12 Jun, 2011

I just wish there wasn't any fucking alien in it. There's a sweet, sad, funny little movie about a boy burying his grief for his recently deceased mother by helping his friends make a zombie movie here, but it keeps getting interrupted by ridiculously enormous action scenes. The alien, the conspiracy, the rogue government agents, the violence and destruction ... none of it is interesting in the least. But when the kids are on screen by themselves, bickering and laughing and fighting like ordinary kids, it works a treat.

• KMOKLER

★★★★½ Added by KMOKLER

A very intelligent, well written, made movie that i think more people should see and experience.

• Ryan St. Hilaire

★★★★★ Added by Ryan St. Hilaire

Super 8 is a magnificent film about the incredible imagination of film making. I love watching this film because of its mysterious nature and it staying pretty realistic in my eyes. Its a film that defines a generation in my eyes, and it remains an all time favorite of mine.

• ΜariosZ

★★ Watched by ΜariosZ 06 Sep, 2014

Not so super of a film...

• Mikki

★★½ Watched by Mikki 04 Sep, 2014

I guess I'm not a film critic, to me this film looked like a cliché fest. If the shots of classic cars are the most exciting moments you have not done a good job.

• DirkH

★★½ Rewatched by DirkH 04 Sep, 2014 13

Second-hand, stale nostalgia.

• MouldyPot

★★★ Added by MouldyPot

I thought this film was quite good. Not excellent by any means, but it's obviously going to be difficult to portray a film that so closely resembles 'Stand By Me' in a modern sc-fi standpoint, with a group of friends in the late 70s, especially considering it's breaking somewhat of a normality by having a sc-fi film based in a time period that has been and gone only recently.

I didn't feel the bond between the friends quite as strongly…

• TomCallahan1000

★★★★★ Added by TomCallahan1000

When I first saw this film I thought it was gonna be really lame but as soon as it got rolling like maybe 10-20 minutes in I was on the edge of my seat. I will give this film 9/10.

• Julie Davis

★★★ Added by Julie Davis

Enjoyable but fell short in a lot of ways.

• Ángela C.

★★★ Watched by Ángela C. 24 Aug, 2014

The movie have some referents from Lost.

• Michael

★★★★ Watched by Michael 03 Jul, 2011

A beautiful, nostalgic film capturing a more innocent style of filmmaking along with a more innocent view of adolescent adventure and romance than we generally see in movies now. And yet it also feels more truthful than the jaded, pessimistic, and self-indulgently bombastic threat-escalation that pervades most modern adventure films. This film trusts the threat it introduces to be sufficient without unnecessary multiplication.

The performances by the "kids" in the cast are spot-on believable as actual children just beginning to mature. Elle Fanning in particular is a revelation and definitely looks to be an actress to watch for.