• Azal Abedi

Rewatched by Azal Abedi 30 Oct, 2014 1

Second best Burton.

• dyrgripen

★½ Watched by dyrgripen 30 Oct, 2014

I was enjoying it rather much for the first half-hour or so, but then it just went downhill. The killings were not scary or dramatic, and they only seemed to be there to fill the film with gore and blood. Nor did I find that there was any resolution. Was expecting a lot more from a Burton-Depp-Carter film but ended up being completely disappointed.

• Master Crash

★★★★½ Watched by Master Crash 27 Oct, 2014

Hoop-Tober Challenge. Movie 18.
    Lets make a list of ten things that I love, and I'll give it a score based on things that this movie has. Shall we?

Tim Burton? Check!
    Johnny Depp? Check!
    Johnny Deep portraying a psychotic barber who kills people? Check! And oddly specific.
    Helena Boham Carter? Check!
    Horror? Check!
    Sad romance? Check!
    Musicals? Chec- Wait... I don't love musicals, silly me.
    Good music? Uh... kind off... It's not bad, but none of the cast will…

• Jonathan Gadd

★★★ Watched by Jonathan Gadd 26 Oct, 2014

Fairly enjoyable, but the singing was fairly average and the blood was a little too comic. Timothy Spall and Alan Rickman both acted superbly, but Jamie Campbell Bower was extremely disappointing

• Drew Nugent

★★★★½ Rewatched by Drew Nugent 26 Oct, 2014

Tim Burton brilliantly translated this amazing musical to the screen, and it is one of his very best. The acting, the make up, the art design, and of course Stephen Sondheim's absolutely stunning music make for a wicked horror musical concoction, and by the end I'm literally left breathless.

• silenttom

★★★½ Rewatched by silenttom 25 Oct, 2014

Tim Burton's adaptation of the classic Stephen Sondheim musical is definitely one of the best films the director has done in the last ten to fifteen years. Sandwiched inbetween two of the more redundant and uninspired Burton productions Corpse Bride and Alice in Wonderland, Sweeney Todd stands out as a welcomed outlier from most Burton's more stagnant later work. It's gothic and filled with angst like a typical Burton work, but still is filled with more genuine charm and ambition…

• Kyle Bolton

★★★½ Watched by Kyle Bolton 18 Oct, 2014

Style is in full effect here. Burton has outdone himself. It's a great companion piece to 'Sleepy Hollow'. Now, while not being a fan of musicals, I was pleasantly surprised how little I was affected. I think it was the look of the film. The mood comes across brilliantly. And if you can see this on blu-ray, it's totally worth it. I also enjoyed the cast. Sasha Baron Cohen does a great job Pirelli a traveling barber.
    If you can stand dialogue being sing song, the film doesn't disappoint.

• Alex

★★★★★ Rewatched by Alex 21 Oct, 2014

My most rewatched movie ever. Everyone else seems to be either "This sucks" or "Alright I guess?" and meanwhile I'm over here like "One of my favorite movies ever."

• Lizzie

★★★ Watched by Lizzie 29 Mar, 2013

Watched with group of Mac friends on TV in Turck

• Isabella

★★★★ Added by Isabella

I mean, Johnny Depp can't really sing that well, but this film is still wonderful. Who doesn't love musicals about murders?

• Sarfaraz Abbasi

★★★★ Added by Sarfaraz Abbasi

Tim Burton's Sweeney Todd is one hell of a film, with, loved the art-direction as well as cinematography of the film. Johnny Depp's performance; which won him 3rd Oscar-nomination as Best Actor, is certainly a worth watching this ghastly wonderful film!

• robert_holly

★★ Added by robert_holly

Well made, but the story is just boring. The music never really hits a high note either.