• purrissa

★★★★★ Added by purrissa

mrs. lovett will always be one of my favorite characters.

• Jon LeGris

★★★★ Rewatched by Jon LeGris 09 Dec, 2014

(7.75/10)

• TheRantAsArt

★★★½ Rewatched by TheRantAsArt 08 Dec, 2014

Tim Burton's version of the Sondheim musical lends itself well to his dark,style. The tale of the revenge of a London barber in the 19th century is a compelling one, and Burton presents it in a visually pleasing manner: mostly monochrome, save for the blood and one scene. Where Burton's production falls short is in the weakness of his actors' singing voices. Only the characters of Anthony (Jamie Campbell Bower) and Toby (Ed Sanders) have what would be considered good,…

• the_narrator

★★★★ Watched by the_narrator 08 Dec, 2014 1

If it's not Johnny Depp or Helena Bonham Carter who directly led to Tim Burton's downfall, then the only other answer is intermittent demonic possession. Tim Burton should make a movie about that.

• ChasingTheDawn

★★½ Added by ChasingTheDawn

The musical numbers are actually pretty catchy.

• Matt Wooldridge

★★½ Watched by Matt Wooldridge 26 Jun, 2008

I kind of expected more vast visuals from Burton, but I understand the limited budget would not have allowed him to explore everything he could have, what with its hard R rating. But - for what it is, it's pretty good. I expected the finale to be as inventive as the first act, but not so. It was a pretty standard process of knocking people off. Depp was something of a black and white Jack Sparrow with an Edward Scissorhands…

• Jonathan Davies

Added by Jonathan Davies

Watched with Fran et al at Newcastle cinema

• scotts2323

★★★★ Watched by scotts2323 29 Nov, 2014

Damn I liked this flick. I thought it was entertaining, thought Depp was great, good voice, and well paced. Loved the twist at the end, didn't see it coming, and the last 5 minutes I thought were just visually beautiful. Just good, good, good. Overall, I thought Burton hit all the marks. Was this the last time he accomplished this?

• Fabio Arnold

★★ Watched by Fabio Arnold 26 Nov, 2014 3

An sich n guter Look und auch die Story ist nichtmal schlecht aber das Gesinge ging mir tierisch auf die Nerven. Es gab keinen Dialog der nicht mit einer 3 Minütigen Gesangs-Performance unterbrochen wurde…

• Adrian Zachow

★★★★½ Added by Adrian Zachow

I don't really like musicals, except when Tim Burton is involved, I must take a look. The director himself admits to not liking musicals, so for him to make one, means his approach should be different. This film (based on an actual show by Stephen Sondheim) is superb, a unique mix of horror and music, set to a typically Gothic (for Burton specially) Victorian backdrop. All actors, including Johnny Depp, sing their lines. The performances are dazzling. The music sounds faboulous. Bravo!

• yaheardme

★★ Watched by yaheardme 02 Aug, 2009

That's the most singing I've ever seen in a musical I must say. Every other sentence it seemed. Depp was very entertaining here and the descent into madness intriguing to watch. Wondefully tragic story here though one thing that annoyed me was actually distinguishing what they were saying in alot of the songs, should've turned on subtitles. Ending was a bit abrupt though, did they leave or what?

• Paula Saraiva

★★★½ Added by Paula Saraiva

Eu dormi, mas foi só porque tava mt cansada, juro!