• Brandon parkhurst Brandon Parkhurst

★★★½ Watched by Brandon parkhurst Brandon Parkhurst 30 Aug, 2015

I still kinda can't get over how much better the play is over the film. Though I find the film a pretty decent adaptation of the play it still dosnt hit on what makes the play really great.

• Pill Cosby

★★★½ Watched by Pill Cosby 29 Aug, 2015

I usually am not a fan of Tim Burton’s gothic style, but for this film it was very appropriate. Still, this film just felt flat to me. Unlike the upbeat Broadway musical style film that Singin’ in the Rain is, Sweeney Todd is more of an opera, and there was not enough visual flair to make it very interesting. It was more just, “point a camera at an actor and have them lip sing”. Although no real fault of the films, I’m also not a huge fan of the story. It’s not as dark and brooding as it tries to be.

• James

Watched by James 17 Dec, 2014

• Conan Tan

★★★★ Watched by Conan Tan 12 Jan, 2015

I am not really into musicals but I enjoy the movie. Alan Rickman is always a fantastic villain. This movie also shows that Sacha Baron Cohen could act outside of his Borat character.

• Dan

★★★★★ Rewatched by Dan 22 Aug, 2015

Sweeney Todd: I can guarantee the closest shave you'll ever know.

• Andy Lunn

★★★★★ Rewatched by Andy Lunn 15 Aug, 2015 1

I'm not a huge musicals fan, but I like Sondheim. I like his often tongue twisty lyrics and I enjoy the way he uses what appears at first to be an off key note here and there in his music.

Combine this with the genius of Tim Burton and an absolutely outstanding cast and you have the delightful Sweeney Todd. Burton should do more with this level of gore and leave the likes of the campy Dark Shadows alone.

• David Howland

★★★½ Rewatched by David Howland 23 Jul, 2015

The last time Burton felt like Burton. Enjoy the theatrical performances, even if they're not 'good'. More gruesome than I remember, but is only as dark as a studio film is allowed to be these days, was nice when Burton was allowed to be a little darker and weirder. Kind of an all-star school play, with great source material. Everyone chews the scenery, and there's not many more entertaining sights than Rickman enjoying himself, though Sacha Baron Cohen's big moment is a scene stealer.

• matthewmarkham

★★★★ Added by matthewmarkham

Great performances.

• Moe Acharki

★★★★★ Rewatched by Moe Acharki 23 Jul, 2015

Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street in my opinion is one of the best musicals of all time. It does a great job of capturing the time period its based in, in a very creepy and fascinating way. Even though the actors in this film aren't the best singers, they still do an impressive job seeing that the songs in this film are very hard to sing. The acting is great and so is the directing. I really…

• Helen_S

★★★★★ Rewatched by Helen_S 02 Aug, 2015 2

I love everything about this film. The look, the acting, the songs, the atmosphere. Takes you from incredible lows to absolute hilarity at times. By The Sea has me howling. The second this film had finished last night I pressed play and watched it all again. Haven't done that in a long time.

• Joel Clark

★★★★★ Rewatched by Joel Clark 02 Aug, 2015 2

I remember back in school when illegal copies of 18 rated movies currently in cinemas which everyone and their wives wanted to see were being sold and traded like drugs. This was one that I picked up off a couple of biscuit and lucozade pushers who sold the odd pirate here and there. I felt like such a little rebel. But i'll never forget that 10 year old me lighting up with amazement as I popped the disc in for…

• Morgan_Lightle

★★★★½ Added by Morgan_Lightle

Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street is a bloody good musical. A movie that rips and roars with gore, wit, brutality, and heartbreaking pathos.
    Based on the acclaimed Stephen Sondheim musical, the film tells the story of a dark and raging barber as he seeks to gain his revenge from the people of 19th century London.
    Director Tim Burton has a mixed record of struggling to adapt the works of others; may Charlie and the Chocolate Factory and…