• kenalien

★★★½ Added by kenalien

about 23 seconds into this movie, he turned to me, barely concealing his disappointment, “this is a musical?”

warning: this is a musical.

• IfWeMadeIt

Watched by IfWeMadeIt 18 May, 2015

Episode 182

• Justin Scott

½ Added by Justin Scott

whatever

• Lucy

★★★★½ Rewatched by Lucy 15 May, 2015

This movie always reminds me how highkey goth I am because honestly Johnny Depp has never looked hotter.

• Bruno Dias

★★★★ Watched by Bruno Dias 05 May, 2015

Sweeney Todd: [sung] They all deserve to die. Tell you why, Mrs. Lovett, tell you why! Because in all of the whole human race, Mrs. Lovett, there are two kinds of men and only two. There's the one staying put in his proper place and one with his foot in the other one's face. Look at me, Mrs Lovett! Look at you! No, we all deserve to die... Even you, Mrs Lovett, even I! Because the lives of the wicked…

• kurt k

★★★ Watched by kurt k 21 Aug, 2013

ok

• Sam Blackburn

★★★★½ Watched by Sam Blackburn 27 Apr, 2015

Johnny Depp in his third Oscar nominated role. Some of the songs don't pop as others but it is Tim Burton's style and the charm of Depp that make a vast majority of the songs pop. While a bit bloodier than it needs to be the dark style is still something to be commended.

• sschuster

★½ Watched by sschuster 01 Feb, 2008

My poor rating of this is biased by two things -

1. I don't like musicals.
    2. Tim Burton is mediocre at best.

If you like Tim Burton, and you like musicals, you might really like this film. I did not.

• Britta

★★★★½ Added by Britta

Still one of my absolute favourites, for whatever reason that might be.

• HotDonkeyBear

★★★★ Rewatched by HotDonkeyBear 18 Apr, 2015

When I heard that Tim Burton was finally getting the chance to direct this passion project that he'd been courting since the 80s I knew the spirit of Stephen Sondheim's work would be in good hands.

Visually arresting and with a liberal amount of gore, this adaptation owes a great debt to the Parisian Grand Guignol. Operatic, visceral and thick with fog and shadows, the stage is set for this tragic tale of revenge, murder and madness, and it doesn't…

• Reece Leonard

★★★★½ Added by Reece Leonard

Excellently produced and directed with rousing performances, "Sweeney Todd" is a thoroughly enjoyable, musical experience.

• Dreception

★★ Watched by Dreception 08 Apr, 2015

I liked the ending, but man was it a chore to get there.

And it took 50 minutes for anyone to die! That isn't a spoiler, that is a problem. I think the movie had insane pacing issues, and most of the songs i just didn't care for. The color pallet of the movie is so bleak and dark at parts you would swear it was filmed in B&W.
    I really liked some concepts, motifs and themes, but was bored…