• loureviews

★★★★ Added by loureviews

*reviewed in 2008*

Long-awaited and presented as a musical gore-fest, this 'Sweeney Todd' is excellent and does full justice to the Sondheim musical.

Who would have thought that Johnny Depp could sing and put across the songs (Epiphany, Pretty Women, Johanna, etc.), albeit in a slightly higher register than some previous Sweeneys and with more than a nod to the vocal style of Anthony Newley and other Broadway greats? Who could have imagined the English rose, Helena Bonham-Carter, as Mrs…

• Christian R

★★★★ Rewatched by Christian R 11 Apr, 2014

Burton's adaptation of the famous musical is one for the ages. He converts the material perfectly especially his casting of Depp who shines as the demon barber and Carter in her superb Mrs. Lovitt.

• cineedo
  • arwen

★★★ Watched by arwen 02 Apr, 2014

Depp was great as the single-minded barber. Songs weren't bad either. But story was too predictable and blood and violence, too much.

• stevenedwards

★★★½ Watched by stevenedwards 31 Mar, 2014

Maybe it was just refreshing to go back to when the Burton/Depp combination produced actual human beings and a story that had some thematic richness to it that I enjoyed this film. Depp is really good as the haunted, vengeful Todd that comes back to terrorize those that wrongfully accused him and sent him away. He is able to avoid the grandiose acting that he has resorted to so often lately, and is instead much more grounded even as a…

• Liam Underwood

★★★½ Rewatched by Liam Underwood 01 Apr, 2014

I'm not really a particularly big fan of Tim Burton, but I find myself occasionally inexplicably drawn to Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street. Admittedly it has been about five years since I last saw this film, but this probably marks my third or fourth viewing and it has a habit of lingering in the mind. Overall, it's a fairly good film with a couple of excellent scenes (primarily whenever Alan Rickman is on-screen) but there are also a couple of pretty poor moments and the CGI London looks pants.

• oo7cosmo

★★★★ Watched by oo7cosmo 29 Mar, 2014

I am not a big fan of musicals, but this is my personal favorite that I've seen so far. Its greatness lies in how it doesn't take itself too seriously or come off too corny like a lot of musicals seem to for me. Sweeney Todd, ironically given its dark nature, keeps things light and enjoyable throughout and never once feels like its trying too hard to be DARK. The music is fun and catchy, and it's a very enjoyable film overall.

• BITW

★★★★ Added by BITW

One of my favorite Tim Burton movies. I love this movie so much sometimes I catch myself singing the songs when I'm shaving or humming them when I'm getting a haircut. I have to say that I don't care for Johnny Depp all that much as an actor but this movie shows me a little why so many people enjoy his work. I'm also not a huge fan of how much Tim Burton uses him but with this film I can make an exception.

• Kinky Pigtails

Rewatched by Kinky Pigtails 16 Mar, 2014

[A-]

• asterrose

★★★★★ Watched by asterrose 16 Mar, 2014

Love Johnny Depp's voice and that ending.....burn, bitch, burn.

• Stacy

★★★★★ Added by Stacy

My favorite musical, given the film treatment by my favorite director. Despite the fact that a few songs were left out, I was still very happy with it. The visual aesthetic alone made me fall in love. It was also just as bloody as I hoped it would be!

• Cecil

★★½ Watched by Cecil 09 Mar, 2014

Depp's revenge plot was fun to follow but once it turned into pointless serial killing I stopped caring.

I mostly enjoyed the movie actually but I really didn't enjoy the Gritty Blue Victorian London aesthetic. I wish we didn't have to have things like that. I wish movies from the last 10 or 15 years weren't purposely designed to look unappealing.