• Adrian Zachow

★★★★½ Added by Adrian Zachow

I don't really like musicals, except when Tim Burton is involved, I must take a look. The director himself admits to not liking musicals, so for him to make one, means his approach should be different. This film (based on an actual show by Stephen Sondheim) is superb, a unique mix of horror and music, set to a typically Gothic (for Burton specially) Victorian backdrop. All actors, including Johnny Depp, sing their lines. The performances are dazzling. The music sounds faboulous. Bravo!

• yaheardme

★★ Watched by yaheardme 02 Aug, 2009

That's the most singing I've ever seen in a musical I must say. Every other sentence it seemed. Depp was very entertaining here and the descent into madness intriguing to watch. Wondefully tragic story here though one thing that annoyed me was actually distinguishing what they were saying in alot of the songs, should've turned on subtitles. Ending was a bit abrupt though, did they leave or what?

• Paula Saraiva

★★★½ Added by Paula Saraiva

Eu dormi, mas foi só porque tava mt cansada, juro!

• Andy

½ Added by Andy

A prescindere dal film che é di una noia mortale..odio i musical...non li capisco...mi annoiano tanto..

• Ponders

★★★★½ Rewatched by Ponders 02 Nov, 2014

From the acting, to the atmosphere; from the lyrics, to the lighting, this movie is phenomenal. The backdrop of the entire movie is absolutely miserable, which plays so very well off the theme of the movie. Watch it. Now. Everyone.

• Cody

★★★★★ Rewatched by Cody 01 Nov, 2014

Sweeney Todd is magical. It's really odd saying that it's magical when it's about a man getting revenge by slitting the throat of innocent people. Gruesome, but still magical.

I'm not sure who I would have wanted to direct it if it were anybody but Tim Burton. I have always loved his movies, so a horror/musical was just perfect for him. I don't think it would have been as effective and driven the way that Burton did it.

Granted, I…

• Azal Abedi

Rewatched by Azal Abedi 30 Oct, 2014 1

Second best Burton.

• dyrgripen

★½ Watched by dyrgripen 30 Oct, 2014

I was enjoying it rather much for the first half-hour or so, but then it just went downhill. The killings were not scary or dramatic, and they only seemed to be there to fill the film with gore and blood. Nor did I find that there was any resolution. Was expecting a lot more from a Burton-Depp-Carter film but ended up being completely disappointed.

• Master Crash

★★★★½ Watched by Master Crash 27 Oct, 2014

Hoop-Tober Challenge. Movie 18.
    Lets make a list of ten things that I love, and I'll give it a score based on things that this movie has. Shall we?

Tim Burton? Check!
    Johnny Depp? Check!
    Johnny Deep portraying a psychotic barber who kills people? Check! And oddly specific.
    Helena Boham Carter? Check!
    Horror? Check!
    Sad romance? Check!
    Musicals? Chec- Wait... I don't love musicals, silly me.
    Good music? Uh... kind off... It's not bad, but none of the cast will…

• Jonathan Gadd

★★★ Watched by Jonathan Gadd 26 Oct, 2014

Fairly enjoyable, but the singing was fairly average and the blood was a little too comic. Timothy Spall and Alan Rickman both acted superbly, but Jamie Campbell Bower was extremely disappointing

• Drew Nugent

★★★★½ Rewatched by Drew Nugent 26 Oct, 2014

Tim Burton brilliantly translated this amazing musical to the screen, and it is one of his very best. The acting, the make up, the art design, and of course Stephen Sondheim's absolutely stunning music make for a wicked horror musical concoction, and by the end I'm literally left breathless.

• silenttom

★★★½ Rewatched by silenttom 25 Oct, 2014

Tim Burton's adaptation of the classic Stephen Sondheim musical is definitely one of the best films the director has done in the last ten to fifteen years. Sandwiched inbetween two of the more redundant and uninspired Burton productions Corpse Bride and Alice in Wonderland, Sweeney Todd stands out as a welcomed outlier from most Burton's more stagnant later work. It's gothic and filled with angst like a typical Burton work, but still is filled with more genuine charm and ambition…