• Cameron M. Gambas Johnson

★★★★★ Added by Cameron M. Gambas Johnson

Synecdoche is weird and wonderful; it is ambiguous in the strangest ways and goes in depth into seemingly every emotion. It has more layers than perhaps any film I've ever seen, like an "Inception" of symbolism and creativity. there are laugh-out-loud moments and moments of deep sadness, and we become absorbed in the story of the dreaming playwright. The film seems to represent everything and nothing, and is both blatantly plain and ridiculously strange. Synecdoche is a masterpiece of intrigue…

• Cactus Matt

★★★★★ Added by Cactus Matt

Charlie Kaufman’s directorial debut is expectantly unusual, but rewards close attention from the viewer. The multilayered structure, much like the titular city itself is a mystery worth unraveling for the rewards are splendid and plentiful.

• HT

★★★★★ Rewatched by HT 15 Mar, 2015

No matter how many times you watch this film, there will still be so much to explore. The meaning of the house on fire, parallels with Jungian archetypes and examinations of interpretation vs imitation are just a few of the rich themes and ideas worth further exploring in the process of watching this film multiple times to gain more perspective into its meaning.

Synecdoche, New York is a beautiful synthesis between philosophical and psychological introspection and the unexplainable "thing" that…

• Igor Moretto

★★★★★ Watched by Igor Moretto 14 Mar, 2015

"Why do so many people write about the fall?", the interviewer asks.

"Well, I think it's seen as the beggining of the end, really. If the year is a life, than September, beggining of fall, is when things start to die. It's a melancholic month, and maybe because of that, beautiful.", the interviewee responds.

And that's what I have to say about "Synecdoche, New York", and anything but a quote from it would be meaningless now.

• Alex Lovendahl

★★★★★ Watched by Alex Lovendahl 14 Mar, 2015

The architecture of film is taken to its current apex. Exhaustive and challenging. As most would say, two viewings are necessary. I have rarely enjoyed Kaufman's work as much as I would like. Here, he exceeds my expectations, despite filling his world with the same self-indulgent narcissists and patriarchal perspectives he always has done.

So significantly well crafted that I am considering revisiting Being John Malkovich and the (I believe) awful Eternal Sunshine.

• Ava Davis

★★★★★ Rewatched by Ava Davis 14 Mar, 2015 7

the year is 2025 adam johnson of your movie sucks fame is dead after making only two videos explaining the genius of synecdoche new york. he has covered around 30 minutes of the movie and has spent 12 minutes analyzing the font in the title and how it goes away when the clock hits a certain number. i don't know if this movie is genius or not because he never made a part 3. he didn't understands this movies message about the essence of time, how fast it is, and how death is closer than you think. rip i wonder if this is a good movie

• Mastero

★★★★★ Added by Mastero

One of the most complex films i have ever seen. This is a must watch for anyone who loves Postmodernism and Charlie Kaufman's meta writing

• Thomas Lewry

★★★★★ Rewatched by Thomas Lewry 12 Mar, 2015

"I will be dying and so will you, and so will everyone here. That's what I want to explore. We're all hurtling towards death, yet here we are for the moment, alive. Each of us knowing we're going to die, each of us secretly believing we won't"

Lately i've been inadvertently rewatching films that really resonate with me at this point in my life. 'Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind' reflected my recently deteriorated relationship, 'Boyhood' in many ways reflected…

• Ben Wylie

★★★★★ Rewatched by Ben Wylie 11 Mar, 2015

I still have no fucking clue what to say, other than this might be one of the best films ever.

• King Cobra Shins

★★★★★ Added by King Cobra Shins

warning: tears

• Mari Suffys

★★★★★ Watched by Mari Suffys 07 Mar, 2015 1

I'm trying to stop crying. Not easy.

• Emptystomach

★★★★★ Watched by Emptystomach 01 Mar, 2015

I haven't seen anything quite like it.