• cauealvarenga

★★★★★ Rewatched by cauealvarenga 26 Apr, 2015

"Knowing that you don't know is the first and most essential step to knowing, you know? "

• Netwin Waldro

★★★★★ Watched by Netwin Waldro 02 Apr, 2015

Damning, prophetic, gargantuan. Never seen anything like it.

• John Dougherty

★★★★★ Rewatched by John Dougherty 26 Apr, 2015

Unwieldy, indulgent, incomprehensible. And yet... staggering. The saddest film I ever saw. #see

• Jason Coyle

★★★★★ Rewatched by Jason Coyle 21 Apr, 2015

Heartbreaking, profoundly ambitious. A stunning cinematic achievement.

• celery_man

★★★★★ Rewatched by celery_man 19 Apr, 2015

still the best

• Pax

★★★★★ Watched by Pax 19 Apr, 2015

This review reportedly contains spoilers. I can handle the truth.

I finally got around to watching this movie, and I have to say it's a masterpiece.

I've never seen a movie before that takes on a tougher subject matter and conquers it with such ingenuity and creativity. Kaufman absolutely crushes it. The acting's so good you don't notice it. The score (most of the lyrics were even written by Kaufman) perfectly sets the hopeless scene. And the editing carries us along as time slips away from us and our main…

• Yumin Ha

★★★★★ Watched by Yumin Ha 19 Apr, 2015

the film's structure perhaps plays the biggest role in its brilliance.
    Confused, not knowing what to make of the present, being afraid of death, and suffering from severe loneliness. Despite the fact that all these components should be the message that should come across while watching, all I could do was simply focus on the Seymour's acting, the disjointed plots spread throughout the film.

• Reece Leonard

★★★★★ Added by Reece Leonard

A casual audience isn't qualified to discuss a film of this nature and of this much ambition, as it essentially demands in-depth analysis and several viewings. It's a strange puzzle box of a movie that examines meta-abstractions, existentialism, perception, and, ultimately, life itself on a grand scale and while, yes, it's staggering and intellectually challenging at times, there's never an air of pretension to the project because it's so baldly self-conscious. It's not a film that everyone will take to,…

• Jeremy Clark

★★★★★ Added by Jeremy Clark

This is a work of staggering ambition, and although not for everyone, it spoke to me. At times it's confusing, painful and tedious to sit through and at times so is life. Mr. Kaufman's film doesn't exist to entertain or to coddle us, but to challenge us. We aren't meant to passively observe, but to strain to understand. It directs our attention to things we often choose to ignore or sanitize: festering sores, excrement, infirmity. All things are subject to…

• Laser Reviews

★★★★★ Rewatched by Laser Reviews 30 Mar, 2015

I finally bought this on Blu-ray and I just finished it, and I already want to watch it again. I loved this film more this time and i'm incredibly impressed by that.

• Cameron M. Gambas Johnson

★★★★★ Added by Cameron M. Gambas Johnson

Synecdoche is weird and wonderful; it is ambiguous in the strangest ways and goes in depth into seemingly every emotion. It has more layers than perhaps any film I've ever seen, like an "Inception" of symbolism and creativity. there are laugh-out-loud moments and moments of deep sadness, and we become absorbed in the story of the dreaming playwright. The film seems to represent everything and nothing, and is both blatantly plain and ridiculously strange. Synecdoche is a masterpiece of intrigue…

• Cactus Matt

★★★★★ Added by Cactus Matt

Charlie Kaufman’s directorial debut is expectantly unusual, but rewards close attention from the viewer. The multilayered structure, much like the titular city itself is a mystery worth unraveling for the rewards are splendid and plentiful.