• Tim

★★★★★ Added by Tim

You have never seen anything like this film, that I can guarantee. This film is most certainly quite odd, peculiar, strange, weird, and bizarre, but it's definitely not short on originality and creativity. And to anyone that doesn't appreciate that, this film is most likely not for you. This film also does something I value very much, and that is it shows a true respect for the audience, and its intelligence. It assumes you are capable of understanding things past…

• Tyrion Lannister

★★★★★ Watched by Tyrion Lannister 05 Apr, 2014

This movie is as abstract, bizarre, and confusing as modern art, but unlike some modern art that is just a random assortment of shapes, Synecdoche New York is also incredibly heartbreaking and marvelous. Phillip Seymour Hoffman is at his best.

I have to give it 5 stars because I feel like I will never see a movie like this again

• Ingloriousjaen

★★★★★ Watched by Ingloriousjaen 01 Apr, 2014

This might sort of be ironic to feel this way about this film, but there are films and then are experiences, this was an experience.

• JoelOhsteen

★★★★★ Added by JoelOhsteen

i have a mental erection for this movie 10/10 tucker and dale level quality right here

• Aleksandar Kirkovski

★★★★★ Rewatched by Aleksandar Kirkovski 30 Mar, 2014

Bring the anxieties from a human being into the surface and shoot them and you'll get Synecdoche, New York. Ambitious and huge in structure with amazing script from Charlie Kaufman and great performances by all of the cast, especially Philip Seymour Hoffman.

• Danny Webster

★★★★★ Watched by Danny Webster 29 Mar, 2014

Film #7 from Matt Jamieson's list

After my first viewing of Charlie Kaufman's Synecdoche, New York I understand that it's a masterpiece; it is an exhaustive journey with Philip Seymour Hoffman undeniably at his very best. However my thoughts on the film are not entirely coherent; my first thought - a reflection of Caden and Adele's art as being paradoxical opposites - at the beginning being closer together and eventually expanding further and further away from each other.

But even…

• Carl Ingebretsen

★★★★★ Rewatched by Carl Ingebretsen 30 Mar, 2014

"I've figured out the play now. I know what it is."

Charlie Kaufman is a genius.
    This must be Hoffman's greatest performance.
    Life is a hilarious tragedy, isn't it?
    Maybe not.

• Andrew Bowcock

★★★★★ Rewatched by Andrew Bowcock 23 Mar, 2014

The weight of this film increases with each viewing, and now the heaviness speaks a truth far beyond what one could have initially anticipated when even conceiving to construct such a film.
    RIP Philip, just the thought of this movie brings sadness to my heart, knowing how true it was to who you were. The longing for human connection has never been so brilliantly demonstrated as it was by you here.

• Sean

★★★★★ Rewatched by Sean 20 Mar, 2014

I am utterly speechless, trying to understand what I have watched for the second time. I have a completely different outtake, I found it more emotional and incredibly moving. Maybe it's because Phillip Seymour Hoffman gives a beautiful performance and the fact he just recently passed away or the fact that this film is about life and how people move on. Charlie Kaufman's obviously personal story is so profound and heartfelt, I can feel the emotions coming off the pages…

• Lynchead

★★★★★ Added by Lynchead

Charlie Kaufman's directorial debut is a beautiful mixture of Lynch and Kubrick, straining the mind and testing the patience of the viewer. But if the viewer is willing to put all frustrations aside, he/she can experience a magnificent adventure centered on a man's journey to create a perfect play, expanding on the theme of the tortured artist in a way 8½ could've only dreamed of.

• smellsen

★★★★★ Added by smellsen

Absolutely incredible!

• rassoodocks

★★★★★ Watched by rassoodocks 11 Mar, 2014

One of the most honest and ambitious films I've seen, in regards to humanity and existence. It's one of those films that I know for certain will get better with repeat viewings, and one I'll have to take notes on the next time I watch it. The writing is wonderful, natural, and filled with ideas, and the premise of the movie itself is enough to keep one mentally engaged. I can't figure out if it made me feel happy or sad, but it moved me profoundly, and it rings true.