• wolfnote

★★★★★ Rewatched by wolfnote 30 Nov, 2015

This story has many stark binaries. An artist can achieve greatness by creating beauty on the tiniest canvases, or the largest imaginable stage. A man either experiences countless horrible symptoms with no diagnosis, or his body becomes riddled with cancer and he doesn't notice. A person can have sycosis or psychosis. (Or, as Olive notes, both.)

Synecdoche has so many layers of mysterious brilliance that I admire anyone who even tries to break it all down. I've watched it probably five or six times and it twists my mind in new ways each time I watch it. I think it's my favorite movie.

• Cole Schneider

★★★★★ Watched by Cole Schneider 30 Nov, 2015

"There are nearly thirteen million people in the world. None of those people is an extra. They're all the leads of their own stories. They have to be given their due." And now they have been. What a feat of storytelling!

• BowelLevitation

★★★★★ Added by BowelLevitation 1

Quite possibly the most existentially disturbing movie I've ever seen.

It's about uncertainty.
    It's about the fluidity of time.
    It's about the futility of artistic pursuit.
    It's about the nature of self.
    It's about how sometimes we'd rather retreat into imitation than to find self.
    It's about how emotional depth can and will estrange people.
    It's about the pre-scientific and philosophical significance of theater as an artform.
    It's about the place of the subject the observation of art. To what…

• Ewan Findlay

★★★★★ Watched by Ewan Findlay 24 Nov, 2015

Well, fuck.

• Zachary Marsh

★★★★★ Watched by Zachary Marsh 22 Nov, 2015

This is, without a doubt, Charlie Kaufman's masterpiece. Incredibly funny and powerful at the same time thanks to its brilliant editing, performances, writing, directing, and pretty much everything else about it, Synecdoche, New York is a moving piece of cinema that I believe will stand the test of time and be considered as one of the best films of the 21st century. People have called this movie pretentious, and I can understand why. In my eyes, though, this is the type of movie that all filmmakers need to see at least twice in their lifetimes.

• Jenna K

★★★★★ Added by Jenna K

I don't really like this movie, because it breaks my heart, but I think it may be one of the most important movies ever made. It says so much about the human condition and the state of art and artifice. Beautiful.

• Jimmy

★★★★★ Rewatched by Jimmy 18 Nov, 2015

I ruined my friend's life by showing her this movie

• Aaron

★★★★★ Added by Aaron

This may be Phillip Seymour Hoffman's best film.

• Arnold De la cruz

★★★★★ Added by Arnold De la cruz

"And so you spend your time in vague regret or vaguer hope that something good will come along. Something to make you feel connected, something to make you feel whole, something to make you feel loved. And the truth is I feel so angry, and the truth is I feel so fucking sad, and the truth is I've felt so fucking hurt for so fucking long and for just as long I've been pretending I'm OK, just to get along,…

• daanblaack

★★★★★ Added by daanblaack

kaufman's best

difficult and rewarding

PSH's best and most important

• meruley

★★★★★ Watched by meruley 06 Nov, 2015

what a beautiful boggling gentle depressing complex glorious mess of a film.

life is art is creation is artifice is life.

• Ana