• Bro Quay with a 'Z'

★★★★ Rewatched by Bro Quay with a 'Z' 19 Oct, 2014

I haven't seen this since it first came out on dvd and blu. The first forty minutes of this viewing or so I found myself counting things I didn't like about it and remembering snarky and/or half-assed criticisms of the film about, for example, how those reviewers would have ended Take Shelter. For the record, I dont' believe there is a different ending to be scotch-taped onto Jeff Nichols story of a man unraveling under economic, mental health, marital, and…

• shoemouse

★½ Watched by shoemouse 19 Oct, 2014

This felt a bit pointless. I didn't enjoy it.

• Carlos

★★★★½ Added by Carlos

• Quan_Chi

★★★★ Watched by Quan_Chi 13 Oct, 2014

This film is billed as a drama and a thriller, but I considered it to be a psychological horror.

There were moments throughout the movie that I wanted to turn away, because the depiction of Michael Shannon's character's mental struggle was so nerve-rackingly vivid. Which is a compliment to Shannon's performance and Jeff Nichols' direction but man it's going to have to be a while before I revisit this one.

You've been warned.

• Kurdt

★★★★½ Rewatched by Kurdt 11 Oct, 2014

"Is anyone seeing this?"

I feel like kicking myself. I watched Take Shelter about 3 years ago when it was first released and didn't like it at all. Like, at all. Though I couldn't put my finger on why. It felt like the kind of film I should like, and I'm a big a fan of Shannon and Chastain, yet something just didn't click for me. Since that first viewing my desire to revisit it has slowly grown stronger and…

• Josephus

★★★½ Watched by Josephus 11 Oct, 2014

Taking shelter from madness? Or is the fear real? Slow start, tense oppressive and finally surprising end to make you think.

• matthew, but only when my mom is mad at me, even at 35

★★★★½ Added by matthew, but only when my mom is mad at me, even at 35

It's a slow burn, but it offers real human emotion, family dynamic, and acting. My words cannot explain how this movie made me feel, so www.youtube.com/watch?v=iY4APDrl66s

PERSONAL: Not a Radiohead fan, but I love that song.

• Joe DiCanio

★★★★ Rewatched by Joe DiCanio 27 Dec, 2013

Rating: B+

• Joe DiCanio

★★★★ Watched by Joe DiCanio 29 Jan, 2012

Rating: B+

• Nitish

★★★★ Watched by Nitish 04 Oct, 2014

Such a great movie about paranoia. An interesting take on the "Noah" story but brought down a couple of notches. Michael Shannon and Jessica Chastain are amazing, Chastain is quickly becoming my favorite actress. Jeff Nichols directs this really well, much better than "Mud." My only problem is that it runs a bit long and I think much of it could have been trimmed. The story is still pretty convincing despite its mesely budget. Definitely a good watch.

• Michael

★★★★½ Watched by Michael 19 Dec, 2011

"Take Shelter" is a movie about courage - not physical courage, which is so easy to film, but emotional courage, a much more difficult kind of courage. That we wonder if our protagonist is really courageous or just crazy adds dimension and depth as Michael Shannon and the rest of the ensemble confront choices and chances, trust and doubt, while trying to keep their precariously comfortable lives from toppling into an abyss.

Superb storytelling with an especially strong an subtle performance from Shannon.

• Sebastian Borrazas

★★★★ Watched by Sebastian Borrazas 01 Oct, 2014

Interesting concept, very well directed and great actors. I would definitely recommend it.