• Melanie Knits

★★★★★ Added by Melanie Knits

I was breathless after watching this. A moving, often eerie story of the way that illness can tear someone's world apart.

• ImSorryDave

★★★★★ Added by ImSorryDave

Jeff Nichols (director):

"It’s specifically designed to be ambiguous. That really riles some people and some people really love it. What’s funny and interesting to me — and not to sound too cocky about it, but I really do think it worked — is everybody talks about the specifics of what’s happening in that scene. And to me, the specifics don’t matter that much. And I’ll explain.

What is happening, what is going to happen, all that is just fun…

• Alberto del Rio Medina

★★★★★ Watched by Alberto del Rio Medina 18 Nov, 2014

Si les gusto Mud de Nicholls, considero que Take Shelter es superior y es del mismo Nicholls.
    No se (y la verdad no me voy a poner a buscar) pero creo que a Shannon, la Academia no lo consideró ni para nominarlo como mejor actor por esta cinta, CRIMEN. Take Shelter es buena, en gran parte gracias a Shannon y como vemos a su personaje transformarse o descomponerse, como ustedes lo quieran ver.
    Va a lista de películas donde los sueños tienen peso en la trama.
    Si no la han visto, me atrevo a decir que se la están perdiendo, que gran película.

• Bryan Colley

★★★ Watched by Bryan Colley 19 Nov, 2014

Michael Shannon's a great actor who often plays characters of questionable sanity, and he anchors this rather deliberate and overly drawn-out tale of a man who fears something apocalyptic is about to happen, or that he might simply just be going insane. I wanted more from the story, and the people around him (esp. the wife) are surprisingly accommodating to his whims. If the acting weren't solid, this would be drudgery, but it's a smart, low-key character study.

• Julian Nunez

★★★★ Watched by Julian Nunez 06 Nov, 2014

A wonderful film about a man starting to show signs of a mental illness and trying to deal with it. Man, Michael Shannon is underrated. He delivers a fantastic and powerful performance, as did Jessica Chastain. The ending might lose you though, depending what your intepretation of the last few minutes are.

• von Hemert

Watched by von Hemert 16 Nov, 2014

i fell asleep

• E Harrison

★½ Watched by E Harrison 16 Nov, 2014

lets make a movie about a psychological disorder. yeah. yeah we'll make a movie about how difficult is to have a psychological disorder. and how difficult it is to live with someone who has a psychological disorder. it'll be all about how we need to accept people with psychological disorders and help them push through and be there for them when they're scared, or alone, or they feel helpless because of their psychological disorder. also theyre noah or something who fucking cares

• Agnis

★★★★★ Watched by Agnis 15 Nov, 2014

This movie blew my mind. Completely. And I still don't know what actually happened.

The atmosphere and the buildup is ridiculously fantastic.

• Matt Heiser

★★★★★ Rewatched by Matt Heiser 22 Sep, 2012

Such a haunting movie. The sense of foreboding is so palatable you can almost taste it. Quietly disturbing, I think this movie will stay with me the next few days. I think what spooks me so much about it is that the fear of a massive storm is archetypal to many of us; it can mean so many different things. And the storm dreams in the movie are so quietly menacing, very impact full at a slow burn. Loved the…

• Mariorarara

★★★★ Watched by Mariorarara 11 Nov, 2014

Pocas veces he sufrido tanto en una película y Mike Nichols lo ha logrado con esta. Las actuaciones de Michael Shannon como el esquizofrénico padre de familia que quiere escapar del destino familiar al que parece condenado, aferrado a que todo sea real y Jessica Chastain como la contraparte, la esposa que reacciona a las circunstancias e irónicamente es el verdadero refugio que podría salvar a la familia de una tragedia.
    De un lenguaje cinematográfico asfixiante, con un ritmo desesperante, esta película merece es toda una experiencia y merece el sufrimiento de quien la vea.

• Anna Bean

★★★★★ Added by Anna Bean

If people in the future ever want to know what American life felt like in the year 2011, this movie is the answer. It taps into so many contemporary anxieties -- about healthcare, debt, unemployment and, of course, the (now come-and-gone) Apocalypse. It doesn't even matter if the story is meant to be a study of mental illness or a modern retelling of Noah; it works perfectly either way. And what's more, it's also an extremely touching portrait of a deeply loving marriage.

• Alice Bishop

Watched by Alice Bishop 05 Nov, 2014 4

There's a fantastic piece of dialogue in Kurosawa's Ran which includes the line “In a mad world, only the mad are sane.” Take Shelter is Jeff Nichols' attempt at taking this idea and expanding on it by looking at the issue of subjectivity. What if you yourself were unable to distinguish between madness and sanity? There's a moment when troubled protagonist Curtis looks up at a black sky alive with lightning and says "Does anyone see this?" We do, we…