• Frank Volk

★★★★½ Rewatched by Frank Volk 02 Aug, 2015

This review reportedly contains spoilers. I can handle the truth.

Here's why the ending is genius: It's ambiguity that has a point. Michael Shannon's character can't differentiate between reality and dreams, and that seeps into the final scene. It's not so cut and dry whether it's a dream or not a dream. The dreams become his reality, his sleeping life hijacks his waking life. The development that makes the end significant is that the family is finally united. In all the previous dreams the family had been split, Chastain's character…

• timbonus

★★★★½ Watched by timbonus 01 Aug, 2015

Extraordinary.

• Will M-L

★★★★★ Watched by Will M-L 31 Jul, 2015

Possibly the most recent masterpiece of American cinema.

Michael Shannon gives one of the most iconic performances of all time and Chastain provides stunning supportive work in this tale of a man slowly losing his sanity.

• Josh Darby

★★★★★ Watched by Josh Darby 29 Jul, 2015

Film #28 of the "Scavenger Hunt #4" Challenge!
    Task #28. A film featuring a Schizophrenic Character!
    My list: letterboxd.com/darbyact/list/joshs-film-scavenger-hunt-list-4/
    Original List: letterboxd.com/naughty/list/scavenger-hunt-4

Had I seen this film in 2011, it would have been my favorite of the year. As it stands it has to settle for a new entry into my 100 favorite films of all time. Jeff Nichols is a masterful filmmaker, who really knows how to use his subjects and locations to bring beauty to the screen. Take…

• Concertina

★★½ Watched by Concertina 28 Jul, 2015

¡Mira de quien te burlaste, vos!

• alexbhades

★★ Watched by alexbhades 30 Apr, 2012

Estoy dudando entre ponerle dos o tres estrellas.
    Tres porque esta bien realizada, y los dos protagonistas hacen un buen trabajo.
    Dos porque es lenta y hasta algo aburrida.
    Uy, se me había olvidado que es deprimente, con dos se queda.

• Mackenzie Dillon

★★★★★ Watched by Mackenzie Dillon 28 Jul, 2015

w.o.w. that was really different and better than i expected

• stoinge

★★★★★ Added by stoinge

Loved it , this Director has made four films so far ,one of them mud which i also enjoyed. Interesting Director , excellent film.

• Daan Janssens

★★★★½ Watched by Daan Janssens 27 Jul, 2015 3

It has been a long time since I wanted to watch a film just to watch it. That I needed to see it till the ending. Where I couldn't stop wanting to figure out what was going on in a persons head. Where I couldn't be bothered to do anything else, get up or think about something else besides the story. I never wondered when it was going to end, I just wanted to keep watching. Nothing pulled me out of it, not even the end credits. It has been a long time since I saw something new to me and immediately liked it.

• Shea

★★★★½ Watched by Shea 26 Jul, 2015

what a beautiful fucking movie. take shelter literally took my breath away. jessica chastain and michael shannon are so great together on screen, and also: michael shannon gives an A+ performance. fuck me up. a lovely mix of terrifying images and drama.

• Patrick

★★★★ Watched by Patrick 09 Jul, 2015

2011 was such a fantastic year for film. One of my favourites from 2011 was Jeff Nichols' Take Shelter. Michael Shannon delivers an incredibly authentic performance of a man slowly losing his sanity. A film that is so incredibly moving as it deals with themes of mental illness with fantastic allegory. A perfect film with a stunning soundtrack.

• JP Ocampo

★★★★½ Watched by JP Ocampo 24 Jul, 2015

Michael Shannon gives an incredible performance in this. Beyond that, the film also manages to build constant tension to put us in its character's mindset and the cinematography is beautiful. It does play with the mystery of wether Curtis is schizophrenic or prophetic, but it doesn't really matter as what is outstanding about the piece is the atmosphere it creates, plus a coherent argument could really be made for either side. It may be read as the story of a…