• bree1981

★★★ Watched by bree1981 28 Mar, 2015 3

Been meaning the check this movie out for a while now and to be honest i was left a little disappointed. For the most part it works well showing one man's slow descent into madness, the film looks absolutely stunning, the director does a good job of building up an ominous atmosphere, the film can be truly heartbreaking in places and Michael Shannon gives a brilliantly layered performance as Curtis, a man trying to hold it all together despite the…

• Scott Smith

★★★★ Watched by Scott Smith 24 Mar, 2015 1

Rural middle-America is terrifying.

• Drummer

★★★★ Added by Drummer

Such a good movie. Shannon gives a chilling performance. Cant really talk too much about the film given its nature. But very much worth a watch.

• Filip Bergström

★★★ Watched by Filip Bergström 18 Mar, 2015

This review reportedly contains spoilers. I can handle the truth.

First it happened with Mud, then it happened with this one. Jeff Nichols can't stop leaving me underwhelmed.

Let's get this out of the way first: Michael Shannon is great. He acts the paranoid-psycho way more subtle than he did in Bug, but the character himself is far too predictable, as is the rest of the characters and their plotlines. The open ending with the "was it all in his head or was it perhaps for real?"-twist was obvious from…

• Joe Hastings

★★★★ Added by Joe Hastings

No I haven't seen Mud yet. I have to sleep sometime.

The narrative may be strange, but the performances are some of the best I've seen in a while. All the characters have strong emotional connections and I never felt manipulated by a particular moment. After seeing Michael Shannon in Man of Steel, I didn't expect this kind of performance. Wow. Even Jessica Chastain managed to impress me with her emotional range. Not really a fan after Zero Dark Thirty,…

• ekpyrosis

★★★★ Watched by ekpyrosis 16 Mar, 2015

Un'approfondita disamina del disagio psicologico, del crescere delle paure e del non saperle affrontare e spiegare, con la conseguente necessità di trovare un simbolo/evento/causa alla quale ricondurle.

I due attori principali (Shannon e Chastain) interpretano magistralmente due figure semplici ed ordinarie che "nascondano" sensibilità fuori dal comune. Una capacità di percezione, da un lato, e abnegazione, dall'altro, che gli isolano progressivamente dal resto dei loro amici e conoscenti.
    La condizione in cui si trova la figlia sembra assumere, nel procedere…

• Mynt Marsellus

★★★½ Watched by Mynt Marsellus 16 Mar, 2015

This is a really dark and sad film. Holy Cow.

• Raghav Bali

★★★★★ Watched by Raghav Bali 15 Mar, 2015

Currently on my Michael Shannon films binge in the hopes of mastering a perfect imitation to use against my bullies.

Learning log entry #1 : have psychotic episode.

• Michael Herrington

★★★★ Watched by Michael Herrington 15 Mar, 2015

Slow, quiet, sparsely intense drama with a beautiful ending. I look forward to Shotgun Stories and Nichols' coming films.

• thori

★★ Watched by thori 15 Mar, 2015

War, obwohl sehr gut gespielt, leider nix für mich. Keine Ahnung welche Botschaft der Regisseur mir da rüberbringen wollte. Nichols Nachfolgewerk MUD war deutlich zugänglicher.

• Junior Andrade

★★★★★ Watched by Junior Andrade 08 Mar, 2015

A gloomy and unsettling allegory centered on a modern Noah, paranoid and on the verge of a mental breakdown, played with an extraordinary intensity by Michael Shannon. A compelling drama with a careful slow pace and a glorious ending.

• Egg MacGuffin

★★★★★ Rewatched by Egg MacGuffin 07 Mar, 2015 2

Watched with audio commentary.

Still perfect.