• Jeff Marubayashi

★★★★★ Watched by Jeff Marubayashi 24 Jul, 2014

It was a slow build to the very climactic end, but Take Shelter is definitely worth the time. Michael Shannon is phenomenal as a father who starts to lose control when he has hallucinations and dreams about an impending storm that will wipe out their town, if not the world. Jessica Chastain equals Shannon in every way, playing the supportive wife, but just as strong if not stronger than her husband. I'll admit it took a little while to get…

• Paul Boyne

★★★★ Rewatched by Paul Boyne 01 Feb, 2013

If this movie is about the end of the world, or at least our twenty-first century fears that the end of the world might be coming, then there might be no way to resolve that fear because the future will always be unknown. We’ll know it when it happens. For the sake of not spoiling things, though, I’m not going to commit to the interpretation that this movie is about the end of the world. What it clearly is about is marriage and family, and how to keep them together through financial and health struggles.

Full discussion of the film here

• Elvis Kvalbergs

★★★★ Watched by Elvis Kvalbergs 19 Jul, 2014

Negaidīta filma. Ar domu, ka negaidīti spēcīgi, drūmi un kaut kā pa pavēderi. Smacējoši. Tagad nedaudz tā kā grūti elpot. Nopietni. Turklāt mēs visi zinām, kā tā filma beigtos īstenībā un tas laikam pats smagākais

• Thomas

★★★★★ Watched by Thomas 16 Jul, 2014

Shannon displays perfection.

• Victor Krause

★★★★ Watched by Victor Krause 15 Jul, 2014

It's becoming less of a secret that both Michael Shannon and Jeff Nichols are great.
    Michael Shannon (aka Evil Bill Hader) really gives his all in this role. But I think that's kind of his thing, just always doing great work. (He was definitely my favorite part of Man of Steel.)
    There was a half hour of this movie that was a bit slow for me about 1/3 of the way in, but the rest of the reserved slow weirdness…

• Ryan Gelley

★★★★½ Watched by Ryan Gelley 11 Jul, 2014

A gut-wrenching, pulse-pounding, near perfect psychological thriller with astounding performances from Michael Shannon and Jessica Chastain.
    I watched this because Mud (same director) was good...but this...THIS is a masterpiece. I'm floored.

• Trinity Martin

★★★★½ Watched by Trinity Martin 06 Jul, 2014

Really great film filmed with some solid direction and nice performances. I liked the way this film created doubt as to whether his dreams and visions were real or in his head. I was not sure whether what he was experiencing was real or not either until the final minute of the film. I love that.

I felt like Michael Shannon does a very good job here, very Michael Shannon-ish. What that means is that it is a performance I…

• edward

★★★★ Added by edward

I hear it so much now. Our national discourse is rich with portent. "It's going to get worse before it gets better", "Something horrible is coming, you'll see", "Soon there will be riots". I'm told these things at conventions and while talking to my neighbors and at breakfast with my mother's old friends. Now Jeff Nichols takes an exhausted phrase in storytelling, ("There's a storm coming") and crafts out of it the movie of the moment. A dark, symbolic mapping…

• LiamJohnsonType

★★★★ Watched by LiamJohnsonType 06 Jul, 2014

Fantastic journey of subtly and muted actions, carried by a faultless cast. Incredibly creepy at times, you end up hoping the protagonist is right or wrong in equal measure.

• Cody Wilson

★★★½ Added by Cody Wilson

Michael Shannon dreads a storm. Tense and suspenseful.

• Projectmarco

★★★★½ Rewatched by Projectmarco 04 Jul, 2014

Michael Shannon and Jessica Chastain are great in this film about mental illness. Shannon's character has visions of an apocalyptic storm and he struggles with the possibility of it becoming true. The movie does get a little slow in the middle and Nichols probably could have cut an extra 15 minutes but that is my only compliant. The last act is fantastic, including a chilling, ambiguous ending. I do think that there is a correct interpretation to the ending and it wraps up the film quite nicely.

• MK R

★★ Added by MK R 1

It's The Rapture without any of the tough questions or narrative daring -- a piece of blatant Oscar bait by way of M. Night Shyamalan hackery, with an overrated, flat lead in Michael Shannon, an insultingly on the nose reality subtext (take a shot every time someone mentions the economy!), and a Twilight Zone ending so gallingly cheap and unearned it ruins the entire film.