• Dhaval

★★★½ Added by Dhaval

Stellar stuff by Michael Shannon, which pushed him onto the Hollywood limelight. Must watch, just for his performance.

• Mikey Fissel

★★★ Added by Mikey Fissel

Interesting premise that keeps you engaged until the end despite the incredibly slow and sometimes arduous pace of the film. If you can make it until the end, then you are treated by the strong performances by Shannon and Chastain. Though their relationship is often unbelievable, most of their emotion is not. Ultimately this film plays as a sort of "Terrence Malick Light" both visually and thematically.

• Henrik Schunk

★★ Added by Henrik Schunk

I cannot express how sad I am that I did not like this film. My heart always goes out to indie productions and leftfield films. And as leftfield as this may be and as great as the lead performance(s) might be, as a film it does fail for me. Yes, the basic idea is great, but the whole idea of a man suffering from what must either be schizophrenic paranoia or visions of the future is stretched to thin over…

• Bro Quay with a 'Z'

★★★★ Rewatched by Bro Quay with a 'Z' 19 Oct, 2014

I haven't seen this since it first came out on dvd and blu. The first forty minutes of this viewing or so I found myself counting things I didn't like about it and remembering snarky and/or half-assed criticisms of the film about, for example, how those reviewers would have ended Take Shelter. For the record, I dont' believe there is a different ending to be scotch-taped onto Jeff Nichols story of a man unraveling under economic, mental health, marital, and…

• shoemouse

★½ Watched by shoemouse 19 Oct, 2014

This felt a bit pointless. I didn't enjoy it.

• Carlos

★★★★½ Added by Carlos

• Quan_Chi

★★★★ Watched by Quan_Chi 13 Oct, 2014

This film is billed as a drama and a thriller, but I considered it to be a psychological horror.

There were moments throughout the movie that I wanted to turn away, because the depiction of Michael Shannon's character's mental struggle was so nerve-rackingly vivid. Which is a compliment to Shannon's performance and Jeff Nichols' direction but man it's going to have to be a while before I revisit this one.

You've been warned.

• Kurdt

★★★★½ Rewatched by Kurdt 11 Oct, 2014

"Is anyone seeing this?"

I feel like kicking myself. I watched Take Shelter about 3 years ago when it was first released and didn't like it at all. Like, at all. Though I couldn't put my finger on why. It felt like the kind of film I should like, and I'm a big a fan of Shannon and Chastain, yet something just didn't click for me. Since that first viewing my desire to revisit it has slowly grown stronger and…

• Josephus

★★★½ Watched by Josephus 11 Oct, 2014

Taking shelter from madness? Or is the fear real? Slow start, tense oppressive and finally surprising end to make you think.

• matthew, but only when my mom is mad at me, even at 35

★★★★½ Added by matthew, but only when my mom is mad at me, even at 35

It's a slow burn, but it offers real human emotion, family dynamic, and acting. My words cannot explain how this movie made me feel, so www.youtube.com/watch?v=iY4APDrl66s

PERSONAL: Not a Radiohead fan, but I love that song.

• Joe DiCanio