• Jordan Paolillo

★★★★½ Watched by Jordan Paolillo 04 May, 2016

A storms coming Mr Wayne!

• Maggie

★★★★★ Watched by Maggie 03 May, 2016

film #3 of scavenger hunt 14 (2016)
    task #14: any film made by a director who has their latest in competition at Cannes this year

this movie was sooooo good i'd been putting it off for a while but i loved it. the feeling of unease and that something awful was coming was conveyed so well. there was also a touch of magical realism that made it all the better, i think. and does jessica chastain know that i love and cherish her? i need her to know that.

• JC13

★★★½ Watched by JC13 02 May, 2016

"Is anyone seeing this?" - Curtis

Jeff Nichols' second feature once again has Michael Shannon in the lead role. Shannon plays a man who is plagued by apocalyptic dreams in this one. Shannon puts in some great work here and Jessica Chastain is also terrific as his wife. The film is well shot, has good music, and the story was an intersting one. I did feel the film was longer than it needed to be, but the performances made this one worthwhile. Another solid film from Jeff Nichols. 7/10

• Clara

★★★★½ Watched by Clara 01 May, 2016

i love my parents jessica chastain and michael shannon

• tylertran

★★★★ Added by tylertran

This movie was amazing. I was into the movie the whole time. It made me feel for people with schizophrenia and it made me think. Amazing! Must watch.

• Yasuo Crits

★★★ Watched by Yasuo Crits 02 May, 2016

This is a very slow movie basically from start to finish and it has an overwhelmingly mystical feel to it. This film is not for everyone but I would recommend it to the more advanced movie watchers. Not a great movie in my opinion but it is worth seeing.

• Kevin English

★★★ Watched by Kevin English 30 Apr, 2016

No offense to Michael Shannon, but this would have been a more interesting movie if it had a different leading actor...

• Philip Carroll

★★★★ Watched by Philip Carroll 26 Apr, 2016 1

"I love you, but if I open the door,
    then nothing's gonna change. You'll see that everything's fine, but nothing will change. Please. This is what it means to stay with us. This is something you have to do."

When a man begins to be haunted by apocalyptic visions of a major storm, he becomes obsessed with building a storm shelter for his wife and child while everyone in town thinks that he's crazy.

Michael Shannon and Jessica Chastain (love…

• Scott Kelly

★★★★½ Watched by Scott Kelly 26 Apr, 2016

It has taken me quite some time to think about what to say briefly about this film, as there is so much to talk about; how skillfully it navigates the intersection of mental illness and prophetic visions, how it handles faith, its striking description (especially in this day and age) of what a true, resolute marriage is (and should be), the realness of its characters and their relatable plights, the less-is-more approach to its visuals, and of course, an ending…

• Neale

★★★★ Watched by Neale 12 Apr, 2016

Thumbs Up: Awesome blend of family drama with tinges of sci-fi horror (the premonition scenes are super effective), solid performances all around, the final act in the shelter takes the concept to an interesting place and ups the ante, jaw-dropping ending.

Thumbs Down: There's something about it that just doesn't work right; maybe its that Shannon's character only ever seems half-invested in what is going on, perpetually dragging his feet right up until his obligatory "crazy" monologue.

• James McAllister

★★★½ Watched by James McAllister 25 Apr, 2016

Jeff Nichols' tortuously beautiful use of location, shot through a wide lens, profoundly understands the barren beauty of the sparse Ohioan landscapes, while his measured cuts and the eerie blend of diegetic winds & demonic score maintain an oppressive air of foreboding, which holds a forceful grasp on your soul throughout.

Michael Shannon's understated presence intrinsically channels our own personal paranoias, though moments of grandstanding in the final act marginally diminish his overall impact. It's in those closing scenes that the…

• Nicolas Scroggins

★★★★½ Watched by Nicolas Scroggins 28 Apr, 2016

Nichols masterfully articulates yet another one of his films with the careful use of simplicity. Take Shelter, masters the concept of simple-plot, complex-characters, to create a film that is engaging and visceral from beginning to end. Every aspect of this film is a great achievement and it is by far my favorite Jeff Nichols film. Nichols is certainly one of the great American filmmakers of our time.