• Manny Humphrey

★★★★★ Watched by Manny Humphrey 07 Feb, 2016

A perfect blend of beauty and dread, Take Shelter tells a story about one man's mental decline as he experiences a bevy of visions that put a strain on his relationships. Michael Shannon delivers an all time great performance and he's supported by the wonderful Jessica Chastain.

There aren't any words I could write that would do this film justice, to be honest. It's simply a movie that must be seen.

• John Winters

★★★★ Watched by John Winters 06 Feb, 2016

Michael Shannon delivers a strong performance and Jeff Nichols' direction is subtle but full of terror and dread. The film isn't perfect - I think it could have been a little more tightly edited - but the fact that the ending can arrive and hit us as hard as it does is a real tribute to the performances on screen here. When the "real" storm arrives we're still left wondering if what we're seeing is actually real or not... I…

• CurateGrace

★★★★★ Added by CurateGrace

michael shannon gives my favorite of all-time performances in "bug". not only does he continue this walk of perfect, the way this film worked out what is going down using such a beautifully complex narrative left me stunned. yet another letterbox member, vincent lao, push that is making me dissolve into a puddle of cinema love happiness.

• Spencer Serra

★★★★½ Rewatched by Spencer Serra 04 Feb, 2016

Take Shelter has a very low-key script which is elevated by both Jeff Nichols' powerful direction and an incredible pair of lead performances from Michael Shannon and Jessica Chastain.

As someone who has had personal experience with the issue of mental illness, this movie feels frighteningly real to me.

• MetalSoliloquy

★★★★ Watched by MetalSoliloquy 05 Feb, 2016

TAKE SHELTER ist ein brilliant gespieltes, tief berührendes und beeindruckendes psychologisches Drama, das von den ersten Minuten an durch eine dichte, beklemmende Atmosphäre und eine absolut fesselnde Story überzeugt.
    Besonders hervorzuheben sind auch die schauspielerischen Leistungen von Jessica Chastain und vor allem Michael Shannon, der hier einfach meisterhaft aufspielt. Auch der ruhige, atmosphärische Score und die Kameraarbeit, sowie die optischen Effekte haben mich sehr beeindruckt.
    Kurz: TAKE SHELTER ist ein beinahe perfektes Drama, eine einzigartige Filmperle, die einen auch nach der Sichtung noch beschäftigt.

• Eric Cloutier

★★★★½ Rewatched by Eric Cloutier 01 Feb, 2016

really does it, esp w me identifying w Michael Shannon's character/Philip K. Dick & thinking I have schizophrenia

• Salvador Alvarado

★★★★★ Rewatched by Salvador Alvarado 01 Feb, 2016 1

best cinematography of my life tbh

• Josiah Morgan

★★★★ Watched by Josiah Morgan 02 Feb, 2016

The choice to introduce Shannon's character when he is already in a bad state is a brilliant one because it means that we never get a sense that there could be an 'after' to this 'before', the premise of the film is everything, Shannon's condition is totality and Nichols' stifling direction portrays this wonderfully; the American landscape becomes somewhat claustrophobic as fluorescent lighting gradually takes over the film, we open with shots constantly enveloped in shadows before ultimately, dull whites…

• Ava Davis

★★★½ Watched by Ava Davis 01 Feb, 2016 2

good movie

• jky

★★★½ Watched by jky 31 Jan, 2016

Egy kicsit talán hosszabb és lassabb a kelleténél, de hangulatos, és Michael Shannon jó volt a szerepben.

• Ahshti

★★★★½ Added by Ahshti

Michael Shannon wields his mighty axe of acting to distract you from bad cgi in Jeff Nichol's clever, delicate, and beautiful biblical allegory that smashes OTHER SUCH RECENT FILMS TO LITTLE BITS but we won't name names here.

• Chrim Deep

★★½ Added by Chrim Deep

This one bummed me out, but it looked good. The ending is both surprising and poor.