• wonderlandjack

★★★ Added by wonderlandjack

A satisfying collection of soundbites from screenwriters on why one should never want to become a screenwriter.

• J. Nelson Smith

★★★½ Watched by J. Nelson Smith 05 Nov, 2013

A documentary that’s worth a look if you’re interested in writing screenplays or film making.

• zamith98

★★★ Watched by zamith98 23 Jan, 2014

Curious conversations about screenwriting. Would like more screenwriters to be interviewed since i felt that it could go even deeper into the troubles of this professionals.

• Niall Blackie

★★ Watched by Niall Blackie 25 Jan, 2014

You can see why some of these writers have failed to have a great career, they are just so f*cking boring leading to terrible interviews. Luckily there are some top notch writers here who are interesting and brilliantly/brutally honest about their experiences and so this saves it a little. However, my ultimate issue with this movie was the run time. It feels at least 30 minutes too long, and when you have the boring talking heads it's pretty hard going near the end.

• Bizon

Watched by Bizon 15 Jan, 2014

Did you know that screenwriters write movies?
    Did you know that can be hard?
    Did you know that sometimes the scripts get changed?

That's the level of insight you can expect from this completely banal doc.

• Erix Antoine

★★★ Watched by Erix Antoine 06 Jan, 2014

Probably of interest only for writers. But this is not a bad talking heads documentary.

You get plenty of engaging insight from guys like John Carpenter, Shane Black, Frank Darabont, and William Goldman - who is not in it nearly as much as he should be.

Couple of things, though… The Bucket List? Really? That's a writer you want to talk to?

Also… Some guy who did a pile of DTV action films starring Lorenzo Llamas? Him?

Which is not…

• Luke McLaughlin

★★ Watched by Luke McLaughlin 06 Dec, 2013

Tales From the Script
    1 Hour & 45 Minutes
    Film #10

Tales From the Script is a documentary about the hardships that screenwriters face in the land we call Hollywood. There were many personal stories told that I appreciated from the piece, but all and all it ultimately fell short. As nearly two hours of interview followed by interview followed by blown up stills passed before my eyes, I couldn't help but wonder when the documentary was going to get interesting.…

• Pyrohemian

★★★½ Watched by Pyrohemian 25 Nov, 2013

Tales From the Script is an interesting look into the lives of several successful Hollywood Screenwriters. I found it intriguing to hear how writers I admire got their start in the movie business but the film does tend to drag on a little bit.

• Matthew H

★★ Watched by Matthew H 22 Nov, 2013

An interesting look at the struggles of a script writer. The thing I took away from this was how many scripts are never made into movies. One man who was interviewed said he has written 40+ scripts and only had 4-5 movies made.

• handoniumumumum

★★★½ Watched by handoniumumumum 18 Oct, 2013

Not quite sure of the exact day I watched it. Great advice from prolific screenwriters.

• Robin Hislop

★★★★ Watched by Robin Hislop 04 Aug, 2011

Fantastic insightful interviews. The subjects don't hold back either - the underdogs of the film business get a chance to vent.

• Mosh Graye

★★★★ Added by Mosh Graye

Interesting from a writing perspective, and an inside look at the Hollywood structure as it relates to screenwriting, mapping the failings and successes of various films and scripts over a litany of writing styles.