• stevo

★★★★ Watched by stevo 04 Jul, 2015

Great film. Robert De Niro is phenomenal. My only complaint is that it felt a little long, but otherwise fantastic.

• Risto

Watched by Risto 17 Jan, 2015

Agreeing with some of the other reviewers, for me this is clearly an art-house film. The plot isn't much to talk about, the characters are weird and damaged and there is something weird in the way pictures are composed.

But the cinematography, acting, the mood! It's weird, dark and violent, as it should be. I can never rate this.

• CrossBits

★★★ Watched by CrossBits 02 Jul, 2015

-Observations From A Cinephile Who Waited Way Too Long To See “Taxi Driver”-

A sufficient amount has been written and said about “Taxi Driver” for nearly four decades. Its importance, place in history, and themes have been deconstructed and rebuilt by some great cinematic minds.

I have nothing of value to add. I just watched it for the first time last night. Somehow, I never really had it spoiled for me what made it so good; not the narrative, but…

• cinemacide

★★★★★ Rewatched by cinemacide 03 Jul, 2015

So good, it makes me cry...

• ryknight

Rewatched by ryknight 01 Jul, 2015

Viewing now forever followed by a re-read of "the power and the glory" (a strategy I highly recommend).

• Dave Kehr

Added by Dave Kehr

Martin Scorsese put all the city dweller's irrational, guilty fears into this 1976 story of a New York taxi driver (Robert De Niro) on a one-man rampage against the “scum”—pimps, whores, muggers, junkies, and politicians. Scorsese's style is a delirious, full-color successor to expressionism, in which the cityscape becomes the twisted projection of the protagonist's mind. Paul Schrader's screenplay, with its buried themes of sin and redemption, borrows heavily from Robert Bresson's Pickpocket, yet the purloined material is transformed in…

• SammyBronkowitz

★★★★½ Watched by SammyBronkowitz 06 Jan, 2015

It says a lot when in a time, when even mainstream movies show all kinds of sick shit and morally ambiguous to totally rotten anti heroes are the norm, a movie is still as creepy and uncomfortable to watch as this one.

• fbtimes

★★★★★ Added by fbtimes

Taxi Driver is one of the most ambiguous movies of all time. Martin Scorsese's career, despite previous critically acclaimed films, didn't truly kick off until this gem was released. With zero anticipation on Scorsese's part of Taxi Driver being a phenomenon of any kind - though he certainly wanted to be noticed as a director - the film hit theaters in February of 1976, far from awards season. But the film didn't come and go. It has stayed alive for…

• redcatcher06

★★★★ Watched by redcatcher06 30 Jun, 2015

I've seen parts of this so many times I may as well have watched it, but I've never sat down and viewed it from top to toe. long overdue and well worth it.

• James Burns

★★★★★ Added by James Burns

One of the best films I have ever seen. A game changer that has inspired countless films, most recently Nightcralwer starring Jake Gyllenhall. A perfect film that's both hard to watch and hard to look away from.

• François Leroux

★★★★½ Watched by François Leroux 28 Jun, 2015

Pour commencer, le casting du film est écœurant. Jodie Foster, Harvey Keitel et De Niro sont méconnaissables. D'ailleurs c'est assez drôle de Keitel jouer le rôle d'un jeune pimp hippie alors qu'on est habitué à le voir jouer des rôles de badass.

J'ai vraiment aimé, les images sont belles, la musique est excellente et l'histoire est vraiment original. Je recommande fortement, si vous ne l'avez pas déjà vu.

• kurt k

★★★★½ Watched by kurt k 28 Jun, 2015

im impressed that i was able to concentrate and look at the entire movie without going to do something else,,, so obviously this is a very good movie