• drfulci

★★★ Rewatched by drfulci 13 Apr, 2014

Been years since seeing this but I still love it. What a crazy movie.

• Richard Diaz

★★★½ Rewatched by Richard Diaz 12 Apr, 2014

Haven't seen this since I was a kid. I forgot how funny it was. Really fun! Got to see it on the big screen in a really great condition 35mm print.

• Justin Peevey

★★ Watched by Justin Peevey 11 Apr, 2014

I'm utterly baffled by the existence of this movie. It's not the idea that something something so off-the-wall and esoteric could be produced, but that it would produced at the mainstream level 30 years ago.

I've watched interviews with a couple of the major cast members, and the consensus seems to be nobody knew what the hell to make of it pre-,mid-, or post-production. Actors who could not even finish reading the script were convinced to come along for the…

• Jerry Downing

★★★½ Rewatched by Jerry Downing 12 Apr, 2014

Saw on the big screen at the Sci-Fi Spectacular

This is just a fun movie. John Lithgow seems like he had a lot of fun playing his crazy, over the top character.

• Steve Tothill

★★★★ Watched by Steve Tothill 11 Apr, 2014

"What's that watermelon doing there?"
    "I'll tell you later!"

Packed with surprises and held together with duct tape, I've been looking forward to watching this for years and it didn't dissapoint one bit. In an industry bogged down with ill advised sequels, surely this is one adventure that deserves to be continued!

• Chevalier

★★ Added by Chevalier

Wanted to like this, but the movie remains esoteric just for the sake of it, trying to create an artificial cult-cinema experience. Never could care about Buckaroo or his crew.

• cgiles310

★★½ Watched by cgiles310 04 Apr, 2014

Really, really wanted to like this more than I actually did.

I mean, it's kind of an impossible movie to dislike, right? I'm glad a movie so delightfully weird and silly and ambitious exists. From the cast to the effects to that ridiculously charming music, it has a lot going for it, but it feels like a case of "the parts are better than the whole."

At the end of the day, this felt less like watching a solid, cohesive film and more like being repeatedly pelt in the face with confetti for 90 minutes.

• Jussi Hulkkonen

★★★½ Watched by Jussi Hulkkonen 28 Mar, 2014

Utterly ludicrous plot, mythically epic characters, and overblown performances are presented relatively straight forwardly with only a slight wink, saving the film from a cloying sense of intentional parody by treating Weller's quest seriously despite the outlandishness of the alien threat.
    Weller's reserved and grave yet charismatic performance grounds the film in a very believable reality even when the details of the film's world becomes increasingly foreign.
    Lithgow's stellar performance is a high point and one of his greatest crazy performances in a long history of playing deranged characters.

• Scott W. Black

★★★½ Rewatched by Scott W. Black 22 Mar, 2014

First viewing since the summer of 1984, when I turned 16.

As it was 30 years ago, this is more a clever idea than a good movie.

• Jason Alley

★★★★ Rewatched by Jason Alley 21 Mar, 2014

The screenplay could use a little more shape, and the editing could be tightened up in the second half, but this movie is so damn loveable. Every time I watch it I just want to give it a hug. Best ending credits ever!

• Billy Housh

★★★½ Watched by Billy Housh 20 Mar, 2014

This movie was beyond nuts. I like...

Reminded me of They Live.

• Travis Williams

★★★ Watched by Travis Williams 15 Mar, 2014

I really enjoyed how serious the material is taken by all who are involved in this despite it being the most insane, nonsensical sci-fi adventure I think I've ever seen. This has all the makings of a film that would garner a cult following and it makes total sense that it has over the past three decades. The real sticking point for me was the incredible cast! Peter Weller, Jeff Goldblum, John Lithgow, Christopher Llyod, Ellen Barkin and Vincent Schiavelli!…