• Jeff MacIver

★★★★½ Rewatched by Jeff MacIver 29 Apr, 2016

Absolutely wonderful on the big screen with a crowd. See it that way if you can possibly manage it.

• WeeklyWelder

★★★★½ Rewatched by WeeklyWelder 23 Apr, 2016

I unabashedly love this movie. Dave Barry once said that Peter Weller made an entire career out of small movements of his lower lip, and I can't disagree.

• Greg Dorr

★★½ Rewatched by Greg Dorr 09 Apr, 2016

Aside from Lithgow, who seems to have been given free reign to chew the scenery with a conservative allowance of fairly amusing dialog, the rest of the cast practically sleepwalks through The Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai Across the 8th Dimension. Understated performances might have worked brilliantly as a counterpoint to the craziness had director W. D. Richter or screenwriter Earl Mac Rauch put more effort into fully realizing a madcap world for the characters to inhabit, but they seem to…

• Flicker

★★ Watched by Flicker 20 Apr, 2016

To quote the great Krusty: "What the Hell was that??"

This is not just plain weird, it's an excursion to crazy town...in a jet car.

"Adventurer/surgeon/rock musician Buckaroo Banzai and his band of men, the Hong Kong Cavaliers, take on evil alien invaders from the 8th dimension." Once in a lifetime a tagline is 100% correct.

Christopher Llyod as John Bigbooté giving John Lithgow the finger was great moment but I think seeing Buckaroo Banzai one time is more than enough for me.

• Minion Max

★★ Added by Minion Max

Even with a name like that, this film sadly never lives up to its full potential. There are a few amusing moments of madness here and there but the majority of the movie is disappointingly dull.

Needed less' babble', and more 'crazy'.

• Andrew Amphlett

★★★ Watched by Andrew Amphlett 09 Apr, 2016

This is truly a huge buffet of mashed up fun crazy ideas, culture references ranging from music to movies leading into different genres like sc-fi, action adventure, comedy with hints a clever satire that doesn’t take it seriously, it’s probably one of the most unconventional storytelling I’ve seen and completely strange viewing to watch, that by end of the flick…you will ask, what just happened?

That end credit sequence with upcoming tag sequel “Buckaroo Banzai Against the World Crime League.”…

• Christopher Johnson

★½ Watched by Christopher Johnson 06 Apr, 2016

I had high hopes for this after enjoying previous 'Arrow Video' titles I had purchased and with a title like 'The Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai Across the 8th Dimension' what could possibly go wrong.

Unfortunately, for me the film seemed to miss the mark. A lot of the humour failed to make an impact on me and the novelty of Buckaroo Banzai wore thin reasonably fast. I kinda expected him to be way more charismatic than he was (sort of…

• John Lees

★½ Watched by John Lees 04 Apr, 2016

I really wanted to like THE ADVENTURES OF BUCKAROO BANZAI ACROSS THE 8TH DIMENSION. I really want to like any film with a title as amazing as THE ADVENTURES OF BUCKAROO BANZAI ACROSS THE 8TH DIMENSION. I do enjoy a goo bit of madcap psychedelia, and what little I knew of this had me hoping for some high-concept comic book madness reminiscent of Jack Kirby or foreshadowing Grant Morrison. My optimism increased as the opening credits rolled, as this cast…

• James Lees

★½ Watched by James Lees 04 Apr, 2016 2

Best end credits ever. The walk, the music...everything. Just awesome.

The rest of the film, on the other hand, was a mixed bag. It got a good few laughs out of me, particularly John Lithgow's early scenes and some of the dialogue ("Dr. Banzai, you forgot your thruster...") but it all got a bit too daft for me, even for a film with such a ridiculous title. The plot was all over the place and it just didn't do a…

• AfterMovieDiner

★★★★½ Rewatched by AfterMovieDiner 03 Apr, 2016

Bonkers, madcap, weird and wonderful. You can't beat a bit of Peter Weller vs John Lithgow.

• Wilco

★★★★½ Watched by Wilco 03 Apr, 2016

Si Wes Anderson hubiera comenzado su carrera en los 80 habría hecho esta locura de película en la que nuestro polifacético héroe es neurocirujano, físico, samurai, cantante de un grupo, trompetista, piloto de pruebas a través de la octava dimensión y lo que le echen. Es, además, como he leído por aquí, un precedente en algunos aspectos de Guardians of the Galaxy, pero lo más milagroso es que esto junto a la zapatiesta de trama que arrastra no caigan nunca en lo camp; Jeff Goldblum va vestido de vaquero color rojo por alguna razón. Una perla.

View

• John (Magic Rat Movies)

★★★½ Rewatched by John (Magic Rat Movies) 21 Mar, 2016

A rewatch of this crazy cult curio has me convinced it was shot from an assortment of random pages of several completely unrelated scripts, and edited together under the influence of dangerously psychotropic intoxicants. Mind-bendingly mad and utterly bat-shit bizarre, despite the promise of a (never to materialise) sequel in the end credits, this remains a deliriously demented one-off in every sense, boosted by one of the great 80’s casts - pretty much a who's who of Hollywood at that time. They really don’t make 'em like this anymore, which truly is a crying shame.