• Radu Conopan

★★★½ Watched by Radu Conopan 17 Sep, 2014

Adventurer/surgeon/rock musician Buckaroo Banzai and his band of men, the Hong Kong Cavaliers, take on evil alien invaders from the 8th dimension.

• Colin the dude

★★★★ Rewatched by Colin the dude 15 Sep, 2014 7

"It's not my goddamn planet. Understand, monkey boy?"

• Lowbacca

★★★ Watched by Lowbacca 07 Sep, 2014

An exceptionally odd film, not just in premise but in tone, I'm really not sure how to feel about it. There's some parts of it that I definitely like, such as John Lithgow's performance as a villain. But as a whole film, it's very difficult for me to find a core tone to the film, and so it feels somewhat disjointed throughout. Part of this may come down to things like editing, but the jumbled sort of feeling made it…

• eevade

★★★ Watched by eevade 03 Sep, 2014

The best name ever for a character, and he's also super-smart, creative, and charismatic...I just wish he could help with the script to make it less confused.
    I had some very good laugh though

• Michael1962

★★★★½ Rewatched by Michael1962 29 Aug, 2014

A classic of the 80s: odd when it was released, the cast throws themselves into their strange world - populated by hard rocking neurosurgeon Buckaroo and his Team Banzai. An endlessly quotable screenplay and a brilliant, wacky performance by John Lithgow. This one always makes me smile!

• Liam Hathaway

★★★ Added by Liam Hathaway

Offbeat, slightly forgotten and almost terminally goofy. A slew of entertaining character actors really give this film a boost but it unfortunately pales in comparison with most of the classic 80s family films.

• Dan Owen

Watched by Dan Owen 23 Aug, 2014

A cult curio from 1984, this brilliantly-titled piece of sci-fi weirdness is absolutely crazy and brimming with then-famous, now-famous, and were-famous actors. I desperately wanted to love BUCKAROO BANZAI, because the concept of a modern-day Renaissance man (rock star, physicist, surgeon, test pilot) fighting inter-dimensional creatures with the help of his eccentric band-mates (The Hong Kong Cavaliers), just screams outrageous fun.

In better hands, it may have lived up to its own title—but this is actually a tiresome stream of…

• Michael

★★★★ Watched by Michael 23 Jun, 2011

Tremendously fun with a brilliant variety off-kilter delivery of lines from at least half of the cast flavoring what, taken by itself, could have been a tepid story.

• Gareth

★★★ Watched by Gareth 17 Aug, 2014

WACKY film!

• Tristiac

★★½ Rewatched by Tristiac 10 Aug, 2014

I want to like it but the problem is this reeks of effort. A bit too alienating

• superactionbros

Added by superactionbros

This week the Super Action Bros pile into the jetcar and try to find their way out of the eighth dimension.

Direct Download: traffic.libsyn.com/superactionbros/Episode_14__The_Adventures_of_Buckaroo_Banzai_Across_the_Eighth_Dimension.m4a
    iTunes: itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/super-action-bros./id841096337?mt=2
    RSS: feed://feeds.feedburner.com/SuperActionBros?format=xml

• Ryan Gelley

★★★★½ Rewatched by Ryan Gelley 18 Jul, 2014

Between my 12th and 13th birthday, there were three films I watched approximately 50 times each: Aliens, Ghostbusters, and The Adventures Of Buckaroo Banzai Across The 8th Dimension. The movie is weird and unique and contributed greatly to my fondness for genre films. The cast (Weller, Lithgow, Barkin, Goldblum, Hedaya, Clancy Brown, etc) is talented, the filmmakers are inspired, and the movie is 100 minutes of give-no-fucks freewheeling fun.