• Brett Hatten

★★★½ Added by Brett Hatten

Garfield and Stone make for a better couple than the last pair and the story line doesn't get as silly as Spider-man 1 or 3. Overall, I was pleasantly impressed!

• Lisa Q

★★★ Watched by Lisa Q 23 May, 2015

Andrew Garfield's Peter Parker was a little too cool for my tastes. However, this Spider-Man incarnation seemed more spider-like than any I've seen before, which was cool and I liked Emma Stone as the smart and charming, Gwen Stacy. I think I'll always prefer Sam Raimi's version, but I'd watch this again.

• James Hartley

★★ Watched by James Hartley 25 May, 2015

Not amazing. Commits the cardinal sin of being boring. Bad guy has zero motivation for what he does and Spider-Man has zero motivation for stopping him.

• ComicSolution54

★★★½ Rewatched by ComicSolution54 23 May, 2015

A good movie. However, this movie makes me yearn for the films with Tobey Macguire.

• Stickfiddler

★★★★ Rewatched by Stickfiddler 22 May, 2015

rewatched late last night while editing stuff in my notebook and thinking about what happened that day

It's too bad they aren't finishing this story

I am now sort of excitedly but dissapointedly awaiting the arrival of the MCU relaunch

• yaykisspurr

★★★★★ Watched by yaykisspurr 21 Jul, 2012

This review reportedly contains spoilers. I can handle the truth.

Andrew Garfield made this movie for me. I was iffy about him at first but then realized his facial expression were very nuanced. He'd look from under his brows and wow! The setup was very tight, only the most necessary bits and not done in a contrived way. In fact, that was the movie's greatest strength - it was in no way contrived.

I loved Sheen as the uncle and Sally Fields as the aunt. They seemed to go with…

• Luke Watkinson

★★½ Added by Luke Watkinson

I was entertained, but light-weight fluff trying to reboot a scarcely ten-year-old franchise feels pretty unnecessary, regardless of what it does right.

• Brandon McGee

★★★ Added by Brandon McGee

Though it has the overall "we gotta keep the rights" feel, Marc Webb's confident direction and the chemistry with the leads make this rights-keeper at least watchable.

• Greg Dorr

★★½ Watched by Greg Dorr 21 May, 2015

I only watched this because my 8-year-old son asked nicely and I had a coupon for a free Redbox rental.

I set a low bar for comic book movies, and this one was decent. generally well-made with a few egregiously stupid scenes. The main problem is that it's completely unnecessary, whereas the first two Sam Raimi movies were charming and fun.

• benedictc

★★★ Watched by benedictc 03 Aug, 2014

A remarkably average superhero movie that neither improves upon the flaws of its predecessors nor develops its primary characters. It is saved by some entertaining moments and the impeccable chemistry between Andrew Garfield and Emma Stone, but has little heart overall.

• turkie

★★ Added by turkie

Better luck next time.

• Michael Stuhlman

★★★½ Added by Michael Stuhlman

While it doesn't hold up against the 2002 origin film for me personally, I can see why this Spider-Man is held highly amongst certain viewers. I find Peter's origin story pretty compelling at times and Garfield does a good job for the most part, but the Spider-Man sequences just didn't have the same WOW factor of the original. A decent film, if totally unneeded in the grand scheme of things. I wish the villain had been more interesting. I liked Dr. Connors, but wasn't thrilled with his lizard alter ego. He just never seemed truly dangerous in the way Green Goblin was.