• A Horrible Critic

★★★ Added by A Horrible Critic

Spider-Man is certainly one of the most popular super heroes in the Marvel franchise. You can definitely tell just by the grip Sony has on his movie rights. After Disney bought out Marvel and was reeling in the money with their Cinematic Universe, it was time to bring Spider-Man into their series. Sony's Spider-Man 3 concluded its trilogy and that film wasn't even that great anyways, so it might have seemed that Sony would be willing to sell the rights…

• funsohng

Watched by funsohng 29 Apr, 2016

This iteration is not even close to being a coherent, good film, but I have to say, some scenes really invoke what Spider-Man is all about (i.e. the crane scene, on its own, is so quintessentially Spider-Man-esque in its heart, even though its emotional catharsis is almost non-existent and the scene ends up wasted because of the lack of narrative supporting it). Maybe that's the problem though: it's a likable film because it understands the character so well, but the…

• Sam Doyle

Watched by Sam Doyle 29 Apr, 2016

The worst Marvel film since Howard the Duck.

• Truman Segal

★★ Rewatched by Truman Segal 27 Apr, 2016 1

I forgot how bad this movie is.

• dvbsh

★★★½ Rewatched by dvbsh 26 Apr, 2016

It's... fine? Lizard is a bit shit but most of the rest is good. Didn't need a reboot and certainly didn't need an origin story yet again.

• bluilluminati

★★★½ Watched by bluilluminati 26 Apr, 2016

Full review on Instagram. B-

• Wookie

★★★ Watched by Wookie 22 Apr, 2016

I was never a big fan of either Tobey Maguire Spider-Man films and I think it must have coloured my opinion of the franchise since I'd no real enthusiasm to catch the reboot when it arrived. But, I was in the mood for a dumb brash blockbuster and this what Netflix had, so what the hell.

Found myself pleasantly surprised - much better than I expected. The story is more convincingly constructed than previous efforts, the characters more believable, and the plot, while fairly simple and familiar, unfolds at a well measured pace. I'd still not rate it above average, but there's plenty to like.

• Nick

★★½ Added by Nick

I wouldn't call this amazing, but it's a decent popcorn film. Spider Man is played by the excellent Garfield, and there is wonderful chemistry between him and the well-cast Emma Stone as Gwen Stacy. Garfield didn't play much of a Peter Parker as he did a hipster cool kid, but it's forgivable... less so than the absurd look the Lizard ended up going with (straight out of Super Mario Bros: the Movie). Individual scenes were great, but this had far too much that fell flat to really call it a success.

• Eric

★★ Watched by Eric 25 Apr, 2016

Completely pointless reboot of the Spider-Man films. Whereas Sam Raimi's films were fun, exciting and rousing action films, this is a joyless and tedious film which sags under the weight of its own self-importance pandering to zealous fan-boys who try to justify this rubbish claiming its "closer to the comics". You know what? I don't care! No wonder this reboot failed.

• Kenzie

★★★ Rewatched by Kenzie 23 Apr, 2016

not as amazing as tobey maguire tho

• Diz Hooper

★★★ Watched by Diz Hooper 22 Apr, 2016

I really liked Gwen Stacy in this. I wold have liked to see more of her in the movie. I wasn't a fan of the lizard, though. Also, I wasn't a fan of having Peter's parents involved in the experiments that eventually gave Spider-man his power.

• bluemorning104

★★★★ Added by bluemorning104

Amazing origin story for the original Amazing Spider-Man universe.