• SirFolmarv

★★★★½ Rewatched by SirFolmarv 02 Feb, 2016

"You make your talking movie, I'll make a great movie."

So can an old fashioned, black and white, silent movie be created today and not come off as a gimmick or simply an ode to films long past? For The Artist, the answer is a unequivocal yes.

When I heard of this movie a few years ago I didn't pay it any mind. A black and white movie in 2011 just seemed like a gimmick. I was also off put…

• Reuben MUIR

★★★½ Watched by Reuben MUIR 01 Feb, 2016

I had really low expectations for this film but I have to say I was really won over and it was a lovely surprise.

This film can simply be summed up as a love letter to silent cinema and of course that is why the film works. Hollywood has come a long way since the silent era and through sound stories have become more complex. However Hazanavicius understands what works with silent films and creates a simple love story with…

• Ryan Higginbotham

★★★★½ Watched by Ryan Higginbotham 01 Feb, 2016

I refuse to believe this movie was filmed at any point after 1950.

• Thomas Priday

★★½ Watched by Thomas Priday 31 Jan, 2016

In the same vein as Avatar before it, The Artist minus its gimmick is a fairly vapid endeavour. It does have some charm, however.

• Anna Bean

★★★½ Watched by Anna Bean 30 Jan, 2016

Dad: He really looks like Gene Kelly.

Me: Well, this is kind of a Singin' In the Rain rip-off for the first 30 minutes.

Very charming, and quite moving in parts. But I feel like I have a bit of an emotional disconnect with the silent movie aspect.

• Jeroen Blom

★★★★ Rewatched by Jeroen Blom 27 Jan, 2016

A film which charmfully plays with silent cinema, not so much recreating it as playing into what the modern consciousness of silent film or selectively employing its traits to underline a story. Certainly the camera angles, certain camera movements and detail are very unlike your typical silent film. Seeing the old come together with the new like this is great fun for any cinephile.

• Sam M.

★½ Watched by Sam M. 29 Jan, 2016

Second viewing, first since the Oscar win. Watched for a class, otherwise I would've walked out. I find the whole film more of a cutesy half-hearted stunt than an actual exploration of the medium, ironically for a silent film titled "the artist" being a reactionary, aggressively miscalculated, silent-film grammar free picture whose heart is skin-deep, intellect is non-existent, and cynicism is as ambiguous as it is horrifying. There is nothing about this film that I find any sort of value…

• heltondrew

★★★★½ Added by heltondrew

Wow. Wow. Wow.

A beautiful throwback to the beginnings of film. This movie transports us back to the origins of film and gives us, the viewer, a rare chance to appreciate this early art form.

Jean Dujardin totally deserved the Oscar, but, for me, the unsung hero of this film is Bérénice Bejo. She was nominated, yes, but she stole the entire movie for me. Every shot of her eyes, we are given complete access into her VAST pool of…

• DezziTheGreat

★★★½ Watched by DezziTheGreat 28 Jan, 2016

The Artist was very enjoyable film- the whole style and feel of the movie was incredible, and definitely reminded me of old-school cinema. My only complaint is that the plot was a little too straightforward for my tastes.

• uhhhhh

★★½ Added by uhhhhh

Fun and charming, and a cute love letter to silent film, but lacking substance or any challenge.

• JOHN JOHN OWEN

★★★★ Added by JOHN JOHN OWEN

ace

.....hello to jason isaacs

• David Freeman

★★★★★ Added by David Freeman

Flawlessly performed by Jean Dujardin in something more than just an impression of a silent star, this movie is endlessly calling back to the golden age of silent cinema while at the same time providing an absorbing drama centered on the very tenderly performed romance between Valentin and Miller.