• Adrien Kaeslin

★★½ Watched by Adrien Kaeslin 19 Apr, 2016

The Artist is not so much an homage to silent film as it is a fairly standard romantic comedy/redemption story—unfortunately, a none too interesting one that frustratingly elongates itself. But, the quite good soundtrack and some neat little details (his dog, man) propel things along just enough to get to a very sweet ending.

• Red_Dufresne

★★★★ Watched by Red_Dufresne 20 Apr, 2016

A wonderful homage to the early talkies period. The fashion, acting style, make-up, even the goddamn fonts all seem authentic to the period and give the film a nice legitimacy and authenticity. Above all, the film is about a man trying to find himself and stay relevant in an increasingly changing world. He can still contribute to this world if he wants to and has to "find his voice" if he wants to move on. Plus there's a tender love…

• Don Smith

Watched by Don Smith 18 Apr, 2016

I certainly come late to the party on this one. I always wanted to see it when it was up for (and won) Best Picture, but never managed to do so.

It is easy to see why this won Best Picture. As a stylish B/W silent picture, it certainly stood out among the competition. Not to mention, it is all about Hollywood, even to the accurate depiction of the HOLLYWOODLAND sign. I enjoyed it very much - it was a very simple story, told well, in a very stylish manner. And the dog was GREAT!

• Brandon

★★★★½ Rewatched by Brandon 16 Apr, 2016

As a fan of old Hollywoood this movie was really special to me. I love how simple a movie can be and yet so effective. This is a perfect example of how all you need is a good story and a great cast and you can make magic. You don't need millions of dollars to make a movie that is something special to watch. Plus Uggie the Dog gives the greatest animal performance in the history of cinema.

• Jayanta RoyChowdhury

★★★★ Watched by Jayanta RoyChowdhury 15 Apr, 2016

Uplifting, heart-warming, hilarious, not necessarily words you’d expect to apply to a black and white silent French film. But The Artist is no ordinary movie. The nostalgic story of a silent era film star in Hollywood, it’s a life-affirming tribute to the history and joys of cinema.

Wonderfully stylish, it mimics the look and feel of classic silent movies, complete with a jazzy soundtrack and old-fashioned title cards.

French comic actor Jean Dujardin plays George Valentin, the moustachioed toast of…

• Cherry Ng

★★★½ Watched by Cherry Ng 26 Feb, 2012

It's a delight to watch but it's rather forgettable. I did NOT understand the Oscar win

• Nathanial00

★★★½ Watched by Nathanial00 04 Mar, 2016

6.3/10
    Not a best picture film

• Tara Bitran

★★★★½ Watched by Tara Bitran 12 Apr, 2016

So fun to watch. The score is everything. The costumes are fabulous. Berenice steals your heart, and Jean Dujardin is so great at paying homage to the acting styles of silent actors without making his performance into a caricature. And the closing tap-dancing sequence!!! Apparently they rehearsed that for months in the same room where Gene Kelly and Debbie Reynolds rehearsed for Singin' in the Rain! Such a reverent descendant of that film, in particular, while clearly possessing a deep admiration for Old Hollywood in general. :)

• EvanstonDad

★★★★½ Added by EvanstonDad

This light-footed and -hearted soufflé of a movie is a reminder of just how much fun it can be to go to the movies.

A film about a silent film star struggling with the transition to talkies that is itself a silent film is the kind of cutesy high concept premise that could go down in flames in the hands of the wrong team. But writer/director Michel Hazanivicius and his stars, Jean Dujardin and Berenice Bejo, know exactly how to…

• Mr. Knoll

★★★★ Added by Mr. Knoll

I'm trying to come up with a "formerly known as" joke, but I can't think of anything, so I'll just be honest and say that The Artist is totally a great little gem of a Best Picture-winning movie. I'd even have been okay with said win if it had translated into an increase in modern audiences' willingness to give silent films a shot. Which didn't happen, as far as I know, but oh well. It could've.

• Jáder Santana

★★★½ Watched by Jáder Santana 03 Apr, 2016

Linda homenagem ao cinema.

• amelieke