• Dexter Reid

★★★★½ Watched by Dexter Reid 04 May, 2015

Wonderfully acted, directed, scored, etc. I seriously regret putting off this movie for so long. It's funny, tragic, and so much more.

The film depicts an actor refusing to make the transition from silent films to "talkies" with such maturity and understanding, despite being filmed in 2011. There's a very clear reason that this film swept the 2011 Oscars, it's simply amazing.

• Cavin Hawkins

★★ Watched by Cavin Hawkins 02 May, 2015 3

My thought process while watching this movie:
    5:00 - Oh no. Is this gonna be silent the whole time?
    20:00 - I'm seriously considering turning this off.
    30:00 - Whoa, something interesting actually happened! I'll keep watching. Maybe something like that will happen again.
    1:40:00 - Nope.

Sorry, but I just don't have the attention span for this. It kinda reminded me of Singin' in the Rain (1952), except it was silent AND in black and white; two things which I openly dislike. So ya, that's about it. Sorry for being such an uncultured swine.

• Monkeyboy42

★★★½ Added by Monkeyboy42

Enjoyable, but very slight.

• El_Ju

★★½ Rewatched by El_Ju 18 Apr, 2015

Homenaje al Hollywood clásico en forma de película muda (sin "apenas" diálogos hablados) que trata de la llegada del sonoro. Bien dirigida e interpretada, entiendo que haya sido un éxito aunque a mí me haya dejado algo frío.

• Joel Vered

★★★★½ Watched by Joel Vered 17 Apr, 2015

A fasciniating look into a long dead artform

Released in the fall of 2011, this french silent romatic-comedy film would make almost 9 times it's budget and win 5 Academy Awards, including best picture, director, and actor. It's the first film since 1960's "The Apartment", that a best picture winner was 100% shot in black and white, and the second silent film to win those same honor's, after the first best picture winner "Wings". In simplest form, "The Artist" is…

• Reece Leonard

★★★★★ Added by Reece Leonard

A brilliant homage to classic hollywood that never overplays its hand or loses its sense of joy.

• alec_dotty

★★★★★ Added by alec_dotty

great film, but when it comes to homages to a particular brand of cinema, I think 8 femmes is a lot better

• Sarah Collins

★★★★★ Watched by Sarah Collins 02 Feb, 2015

Desperate to watch this film again - Herries and I watched the French version and kept having to pause to translate the dialogue on screen gaaaah. Either way I loved it, and would watch it again just for John Goodman

• Shawn Dryden

★★★ Watched by Shawn Dryden 31 Mar, 2015

As an homage to classic silent films this movie works as it perfectly captures the look and feel of the time, down to the smallest detail. But as a standalone movie, it just doesn't do enough to warrant it's Best Picture award.

The acting is great. Both Jean Dujardin and Berenice Bejo are charming and magnetic. John Goodman and James Cromwell add gravitas to their small roles. The first third of the movie is pretty captivating as we get know…

• Susannah Northart

★★★ Added by Susannah Northart

I'm a big fan of classic films; this was a wonderful homage. I'm having trouble with "Jean Dujardin as the Jim Carrey of France," though. Yikes.

• wildestpenfield

★★★ Added by wildestpenfield

Even accounting for the inevitable grade inflation for not only being a tribute to old time movies, but for being a tribute to old time hollywood making old time movies, I don't quite get the accolades here. It's a whimsical little trifle; I'm glad it exists, but wow is it inconsequential. Heck, if you want to see a loving homage to old movies with the same director and same two leads, I'd rather see OSS 117: Cairo, Nest of Spies,…

• Laser Reviews

★★★★★ Added by Laser Reviews

___________________________________________________________________

Film #1 of the "Scavenger Hunt" Challenge!
    Task #1: A film you would want shown at your funeral!
    letterboxd.com/laser_reviews/list/scavenger-hunt/

___________________________________________________________________

The artist is pretty much movie magic, the movie is pretty much everything I love about film. The story and acting is just delightful, its funny and sweet. The story of films transitioning from silent to talkies is just so much fun. I watched this movie and had a huge smile on my face throughout.