• fatpie42

★★½ Watched by fatpie42 24 Oct, 2012 5

The intro very nearly won me over. We start off watching some kind of silent action thriller. The protagonist is being tortured for information by a machine with cheesy looking electrical effects. He then makes a daring escape. It was looking like the most exciting silent movie ever. From this moment on there would be no action sequences involving daring escapes. This is the fairly depressing tale about a silent movie star who is sidelined when talkies are introduced, but…

• kate bishop

★★★★ Watched by kate bishop 16 Aug, 2014

I adore this. Initially, my first impression of the opening scene was that it was boring and a little too dry for my taste. But bit by bit, this film and how meta it is interested me enough to continue watching. I admire how the film posters in the background during certain scenes resonate with the emotions of the characters. It's simply beautiful in its symbolism. You really want to observe closely. I loved the scene when he poured his…

• Secretkey

★★★★½ Watched by Secretkey 09 Aug, 2014

Wo andere Filme Millionen-schweres Budget für teure Leinwand-füllende Spezialeffekte ausgeben, gehen es einige andere Filme wesentlich minimalistischer aber mit einer nicht minder so gewaltigen Wirkung an. The Artist fällt in die zweite Kategorie und macht in Zeiten des Hollywood Blockbuster-Kinos etwas ganz ungewöhnliches: es gewinnt die Herzen seiner Zuschauer, indem es einen Stummfilm aus den 20er Jahren imitiert. Rückbesinnung aufs Alte heißt also die Devise und so wird nicht nur alles im 4:3 Schwarz-Weiß-Format gezeigt, es werden auch statt des…

• wfox

★★★½ Watched by wfox 02 Aug, 2014

Interesting.
    Not my favourite.
    It's unlike movies today in that it is silent but the concept is by no means new; a man is taken down by hubris.
    blah blah blah.

• cronic

★★★★ Added by cronic

8/10

• Elvis Kvalbergs

★★★★★ Watched by Elvis Kvalbergs 28 Jul, 2014

Ir jābūt baigai iekšai, lai 2011. gadā uzņemtu mēmo filmu. Ir jābūt baigam talantam un varēšanai, lai to izdarītu tā, ka ne vienā brīdī skaņas nepietrūktu. Gluži pretēji - (neliels spoileris) - brīdī, kad parādijās tā šķita ļoti neierasta, trokšņaina un pilnīgi nevajadzīga padarīšana. Burvīgs gabals un visu cieņu - ko tādu izstāstīt melnbalti un bez vārdiem.

• MatthewLB

★★★★★ Watched by MatthewLB 21 Jul, 2014

Silent but deadly that's what this film is like. I enjoyed this silent film and I like how it got best picture at the Oscar's good.

• Boggy Creek

★★★★½ Watched by Boggy Creek 21 Jul, 2014

A 2011 silent black & white film like this shouldn't be so fascinating. But, wow, it is.
    For all those b&w haters out there, it's not mine or anyone else's problem to give a damn. The Artist is pure amusing and shockingly momentuos.

• reba

★★½ Watched by reba 17 Jul, 2014

it was ok!! nothing that special got a bit boring in the 3/4th but was really fun at the end!!! i want 2 tap

• Eduardo Gomes

★★★★★ Added by Eduardo Gomes

O Artista é uma perola valoriza a medida que o tempo passa, foi feito de forma despretensiosa e encantadora, conquistou tudo e todas de forma plena e saudosista.
    Seu maior mérito, além de homenagear o cinema em sua plenitude, é de retratar com simplicidade a capacidade da sétima arte em proporcionar prazer e emoção, sem necessitar de firulas ou alegorias visuais.
    Jean Dujardin um ator a se conferir futuramente, de grande carisma, mas a grande revelação, ao meu ver, é a Bérénice Bejo, uma atriz de marcante expressão e talento singular.

• Brie DaSilveira

★★★★ Watched by Brie DaSilveira 06 Jul, 2014

A lovely tribute to the silent era of film, visually engaging and masterfully executed.

• JustCarlos99

★★★ Added by JustCarlos99

I still can't get out of my mind that this movie is famous just because it's on black & white