• Paukzen

★★★★½ Watched by Paukzen 05 Jan, 2012

Apollo, con Ines

• Cameron M. Gambas Johnson

★★★★★ Added by Cameron M. Gambas Johnson

Feels at the same time fresh and classical, with old-school charm and modern appeal. Deserved its Best Picture win, though I might've voted for The Descendants personally. Expertly directed so that it's all about expressiveness, like the best of the silent films (Sunrise comes to mind).

• Keelee von Cupcake

★★★★ Watched by Keelee von Cupcake 22 Jan, 2012

This heart-warming and technically fantastic throwback mostly delighted Jeremiah and I when we saw it during its theatrical run at the AMC Parks Mall, but I eventually realized that as much as I love silent film, just like with my talking pictures, I prefer a little horror or mystery to spice up the proceedings, and this old-fashioned romantic comedy is just a little too straightforward for me at times.

• waynewebb

★★★ Watched by waynewebb 23 Mar, 2015

Good but not great.

Slim pickings for Oscar if this won best pic and best actor, again they were good but far from 'best'.

The pacing was slow and painful in places, and the places where the film came alive was when it departed from the silent treatment, the nightmares and the hallucinations. The rest of it was entertaining until about 30 minutes in and then.... dull and overdone.

Could have been brilliant 30 minutes shorter.

• James Turpin

★★★★ Rewatched by James Turpin 18 Mar, 2015

'The Artist' may not have much going on, but it does it in a very energetic way! It's a quite melodramatic (and yet strangely dramatically inert) plot, but the execution means the most here. It is also a masterclass in visual story-telling, and the two extremely charismatic leads are more than up tot he task of the larger-than-life style required. It's a great little gem of a film, if perhaps a little too slight.

MY THREE WORDS
    Light, passionate, energetic.

• Larry Steele

★★★★ Watched by Larry Steele 15 Mar, 2015

Blu-Ray

• Ed Scheid

★★★★½ Rewatched by Ed Scheid 06 Mar, 2015

Clever and imaginative, filmed in the style of a silent movie. Impressive performances from G=Dujardin and Bejo.

• Aaron Martin

★★★ Watched by Aaron Martin 14 Mar, 2015

Silent films have always been a part of cinema history that I deeply respect. I just have never had a great affinity towards them. Thus, I never felt super compelled to catch up with this darling from a couple of years ago until now.

'The Artist' is another situation where I can appreciate what it's driving at without fully loving the finished product. I find the constant backing music mostly off putting, none of it sounds better than generic big…

• Nyx

★★★ Watched by Nyx 15 Mar, 2015

I mean... it was fun, Jean Dujardin and Bérénice Bejo were adorable, it was stylish and elegant but I don't really get the hype.

• matheuslaureano

★★★★★ Watched by matheuslaureano 14 Mar, 2015

Um deleite saudosista sobre as mudanças ocorridas no cinema e na vida de alguns de seus personagens. Filme cativante e primorosamente filmado

• Joshua Weikel

★★★★★ Watched by Joshua Weikel 12 Mar, 2015

The naysayers liked to say it wasn't the picture of 2011, it was the best silent picture of 2011. Maybe they're right, but it was a damn good picture either way, better than a lot of "best pictures", and I've seen them all (not all the pictures, all best picture Oscar winners).

• Alex Tărău

★★★½ Watched by Alex Tărău 11 Mar, 2015 3

If The Artist truly were from the period it's about, it would be a minor film that occasionally played on TCM at 3AM, and about which even hardcore silent film fans wouldn't care much.