• Roger Joseph Ebert

★★★★★ Added by Roger Joseph Ebert

Is it possible to forget that "The Artist" is a silent film in black and white, and simply focus on it as a movie? No? That's what people seem to zero in on. They cannot imagine themselves seeing such a thing. At a sneak preview screening here, a few audience members actually walked out, saying they didn't like silent films. I was reminded of the time a reader called me to ask about an Ingmar Bergman film. "I think it's…

• Daniel Charchuk

★★½ Watched by Daniel Charchuk 13 Dec, 2011

The silent film form is admired and duplicated in Michel Hazanavicius’s The Artist, a combination of homage to and out-and-out replication of early, pre-sound American cinema. Beginning in 1927 Hollywood, the film follows the tumultuous career of George Valentin (Jean Dujardin), a highly popular silent movie star in the vein of Rudolph Valentino (that the names are so similar is a testament to Hazanavicius’s lack of subtlety). Opening with one of Valentin’s flicks showing to a packed house, switching between…

• Boost

★★ Rewatched by Boost 20 Apr, 2014

The director and star of the OSS films are back with a tribute to the silent film era. I'm not an aficionado, the only silent films I've seen are "An Andalusian Dog" and "Nosferatu". If you like romance and tap dancing this is your movie.

• J. Barry Benintende

★★★ Added by J. Barry Benintende

The Artist is a silent film that examines the heroic life and extreme loyalty of a plucky and lovable dog named Jack. He's a movie star, and lifesaver and downright adorable.

Jack is saddled with George Valentin (Jean Dujardin), a silent film star who hits the skids when the talkies come into vogue. All the while, it's Jack who stays loyal, Jack who saves George's life and Jack who gives emotional heft to this Academy Award Best Picture winner.

Even…

• SrBocachancla

★★★★★ Watched by SrBocachancla 20 Apr, 2014

Simplemente bella. Una regresión al cine mudo en una época del cine en donde confluye prácticamente los escenarios por ordenador. Muy buena banda sonora y con unos personajes que sabían perfectamente lo que hacían. Un 10.

• Sierra

★★★★½ Watched by Sierra 16 Apr, 2014

hella cute

• cineedo
  • Christine

★★★★★ Watched by Christine 15 Apr, 2014

Charming.
    I just watched this with my mum, twice. She rarely sits through an entire film without falling asleep, let alone the same film twice in a row. You can decide for yourself what that says about it.

• Mully Mullennix

★★★ Watched by Mully Mullennix 14 Apr, 2014

I watched due to the Oscar and I have to say the idea is cooler than advertised. It not just a silent movie like I thought its a silent movie about the rise of talking movies which is pretty different. The story was ok but the performances were excellent. I didn't love it but its a good movie.

• RJKarol

★★★★★ Watched by RJKarol 11 Apr, 2014

I'd watch an entire film about Uggy the dog.

• Chris Hodgson

★★★ Added by Chris Hodgson

It's good but the novelty wears off and what's left over is nothing special. The trailer was far more effective than the actual film. It must be said though that this had absolutely no business winning Best Picture. Particularly in a year with multiple nominees that simply blow it away.

• AndiH