★★★½ Watched by RMRM 27 Nov, 2015

It's interesting, because while this works as a movie, it doesn't work so much as a silent movie. I think it's because silent movies had actors who were trained to work in silent, whereas this movie has actors who are used to "talkies" branching out into silent acting. Same goes for the director. It also isn't really shot or written like a silent film. It just kind of lacks the inherent charm that movies from the period had. However, I…

• Jessie

★★★★½ Watched by Jessie 20 Nov, 2015

Film 8 - Intro to Film

A very easy and entertaining watch despite being silent. Blending old techniques and new, this is quite the reminiscent piece. Though there's debate over whether it was "Oscar worthy" or not, I quite enjoyed the film. I find to be the Oscars an overrated experience, and personally don't really care what they think is good enough to merit some stuffy award. Jean Dujardin was an absolute joy to watch, capturing every scene with his outstanding performance as George Valentin. Overall a very nice homage to the beginnings of film.

• Scrambled Face

★★★½ Watched by Scrambled Face 17 Nov, 2015

Well, I finally got around to The Artist. I'd seen director Michel Hazanavicius and star Jean Dujardin's previous OSS 117 spy spoofs, and while I didn't love them, I found them remarkably accurate evocations of vintage filmmaking (especially the first one, Cairo, Nest of Spies). The Artist succeeds by taking that impeccable knack for imitation several steps further, mostly foregoing the winks and nudges to tell a guileless, sentimental story. Silent screen star George Valentin (Dujardin) meets ingenue Peppy Miller…

• Bryan Reeves

Techs 18/20
    Entertainment 18/20

• Niva

★★★★ Watched by Niva 12 Nov, 2015 6

parece um gritty remake de singing in the rain, com jean dujardin e o baxter. adorei

• Paul Zoccolillo

★★★½ Added by Paul Zoccolillo

(Original review outdated, re-evaluation required at later date)

• Cedric B

★★★ Watched by Cedric B 31 Oct, 2015

Though it is quite a bit easier to direct a film that is explicitly trying to imitate the silent-era, I give the director of The Artist a big thumbs up. He did have a couple scenes that blatantly rehashed other classics (namely the scene between Valentin and his wife at the table, taken from Citizen Kane) but he is very consistent, with infrequent but effective tracking shots, a couple brilliant pans, and a firm handle on when to throw that…

• KinAletto

★★★★ Added by KinAletto

I really liked the movie, on how it was silent the entire time and he spoke on the end.

• Gianluca_Marra

★★★★★ Added by Gianluca_Marra

This review reportedly contains spoilers. I can handle the truth.

Not many films nowadays are mostly in black and white and silent. This is a very unorthodox film approach in the 21st century. It worked perfectly. It beautifully conveyed the feeling of the silent film era transitioning into the talkies era. This film contained a few distinct messages. The first one being how hard it is for some people to change and how easy it is for those people to be left behind. The second message being about accepting help…

• haarlss

★★★★★ Watched by haarlss 01 Oct, 2015

The artist was an amazing film. It was perfect tip of the hat to the iconic silent form era. I like how they told the story of the actors who didn't WANT to transition to talking films, or "talkies". It also showed how newer actors were taking the places of the older ones. People wanted new, young, faces. As my teacher mentioned, a lot of the actors had heavy foreign accents so they couldn't transition to the talking films. The Artist chronicled all of that. Even though it was slow at times, it picked up speed and was really interesting.

• movieking

★★ Watched by movieking 12 Oct, 2015

I really do not like silent films unless in chaplin's case they are a funny short comedy. I personally found this film long boring and hard to follow and think that it would have been much better if it included talking throughout the whole movie. Having said that i do like the idea of the plot i just feel that talking would have helped it flow better.

• tanyAsma

★★★ Watched by tanyAsma 25 Sep, 2015

A silent film this well is strange being that it's in 2011. The male leading actor did a great job. Doing everything so naturally. Their chemistry was beyond successful. It was great to have a female take on the lead role for a a change.