• Evan Rode

★★★★½ Added by Evan Rode

I like it a lot. Cage being drug smoking cop is very entertaining. Herzog is the special kind of man to make Cage's crazyness and turn it into awesomeness.

• Jamie S. Rich

★★★★ Rewatched by Jamie S. Rich 03 Jul, 2014

Third viewing. It kind of gets better every time. Just so much insanity. Cage's measured meltdown, the bravura camera work, the amped-up supporting players ("Oh, yeahhhh!")--a movie that should not be but somehow is.

• Ben Oliver

★★★★½ Rewatched by Ben Oliver 01 Jul, 2014

Herzog and Cage make a potent mix in this deranged cop drama. Cage plays a detective assigned to a multiple homicide in New Orleans. He suffers from chronic back pain and, to put it mildly, self-medicates. As he continues to mix Heroin, coke, crack, meth and prescription Vicodin he begins to lose his grasp on the case, as well as his personal life.

It’s a unique take on the police procedural genre, in the sense that the procedure flies out…

• Kevin Keating

★★★★ Watched by Kevin Keating 30 Jun, 2014

Werner. Herzog. Nicolas. Cage.

• Fireballoon

★★★★½ Watched by Fireballoon 20 Jun, 2014

Werner Herzog... what more must I say?

• Nicholas Smaller

Added by Nicholas Smaller

Need more Herzog-Cage colabs like crack

• johnch

★★★★½ Rewatched by johnch 20 Jun, 2014

his soul is still dancing.

• Neil McCalmont

★★★★½ Watched by Neil McCalmont 13 Jun, 2014

School's out, motherfuckers! And what a way to kick off my summer vacation!

This is the perfect example of how it's not the plot that matters, but how it's executed. On paper this is a pretty standard police procedural, but in actuality it's a darkly comedic, surreal character study with an over the top lead performance by Nicolas Cage.

This is definitely a character that would be a lot less fun to watch if Nicolas Cage wasn't playing him, because…

• SheepSteep

★★½ Watched by SheepSteep 08 Jun, 2014

Didn't work for me. Bad Lieutenant was a really disorienting viewing experience, it felt like watching 10 different movies at once. I can see how this might have been an intentional portrayal of the crack cocaine reality of the protagonist, but it was just unpleasant. Some moments really stood out though, and the sardonic comedy was pretty good all throughout.

• Alistair

★★★½ Watched by Alistair 06 Jun, 2014

A film that is driven by a focus on a despicable character, his drug fuelled rampage through the narrative is portrayed brilliantly by Nicholas Cage who captures the insanity of the character skillfully.

• Cevin Moore

★★★★½ Rewatched by Cevin Moore 01 Jun, 2014

Sometimes I wish I had a lucky crack pipe. It certainly helps.

• Jakob

★★★★★ Rewatched by Jakob 20 May, 2014

Hey, did I ever tell you about the nigger elk?

I was watching TV - the game, right? Renaldo Hayes? He got tossed the ball and he was running with it, he was running running running. He jumped over three linebackers in mid-air. He sprouted antlers! Like a gazelle? Like an elk? He landed again - he ran ran ran - He scored a touch-down!

Do fish have dreams?