• Will M-L

★★★★ Watched by Will M-L 15 Apr, 2014 2

What in gods name did I just watch.

An over-convoluted mess of a film. But It's also one of the greatest viewing experiences I've ever had.

Who knew this film, that's advertised as a kind of dark thriller, and directed by the wonderful Werner Herzog, could be this much crazy fun?

Bad Lieutenant: Port of Call New Orleans jumps from genre to genre, bashing down walls and barriers as it goes... gets a little reckless along the way... but still manages to be smart, wonderfully lit and shot, strange, out of this world, dark, and altogether an insanely good time.

What a film.

• Sean Mulvihill

★★★★½ Rewatched by Sean Mulvihill 14 Apr, 2014

Herzog and Cage working at peak insanity provides some really entertaining results. So many great lines in this film -- "You don't have a lucky crack pipe?" and "Shoot him again. His soul is still dancing."

• Kera-Anne Smeesters-Kirkwood

★★½ Watched by Kera-Anne Smeesters-Kirkwood 12 Apr, 2014

Um...what is the plot line and why the cinematics on lizards?

• Chevalier

★★★ Added by Chevalier

YO DAWG, I HEARD YOU LIKE HERZOG, SO WE PUT NICOLAS CAGE IN YOUR HERZOG, AND VAL KILMER, AND THEN....A BUNCH OF IGUANAS SO YOU CAN HERZOG WHILE CAGE WITH THE VAL AND....

• Craig Dawson

★★★★ Rewatched by Craig Dawson 07 Apr, 2014

Terence McDonagh is a drug- and gambling-addled detective in post-Katrina New Orleans investigating the killing of five Senegalese immigrants.

Not your typcial run of the mill Cop film, but with Werner Herzog at the helm it never was going to be. Full of dark humour and the best Nic Cage performance since Adaptation (only great directors can get them out of him these days,) it's such a crazy fun ride that despite some flaws you just go with it. Cage…

• Gregory Hess

★★★★ Rewatched by Gregory Hess 04 Apr, 2014

Saw this originally at a preview screening at Doc Films' (in the Max Palevsky Theater.) Audience was dead silent, occasional nervous tittering. This viewing was at the Aero Theatre in Santa Monica, who's auditorium is ALSO named after Max Palevsky, Patron Saint of Cinemas (?!?!). Audience was in an uproar throughout. I've always had a complicated relationship with this one, but being able to take it at face value as goofy Cage-ey hokum relieves a burden. Would make a fine…

• Lee Hultman

★★★★ Watched by Lee Hultman 04 Apr, 2014

One of the funniest movies I've seen in months. Herzog's balance between heavy content and light delivery, controlled filmmaking and jazz-like improvisation, New Orleans' post-Katrina reality and Cage's perfectly overacted predicament makes this an outstanding straight faced comedy. This movie alone has cemented Cage as one of my favorite actors who is willing to go as far as the rest of them, and then some, but rarely (not once in BL) heads off the rails.

• Ryan Wilkins

★★★ Rewatched by Ryan Wilkins 04 Apr, 2014

Seven out of eight scuzzy cinephiles agree: When it comes to #TrueDetectiveSeason2, vote Herzog and Cage in 2014.

(Aero Theatre, 35mm, 7:40 p.m.)

• Dave

★★★★½ Added by Dave

It’s so great to see a furious, gutsy performance by Nicolas Cage again. I always admire his work as an actor, and he can usually turn the most mediocre films into something interesting and watchable. But when he’s on fire and the movie is working on all levels, it is as close to a cinematic orgasm as we can get. It’s off kilter, edgy, unpredictable and loaded with an equal amount of heart and balls.

• Boost

★★★★ Added by Boost

An amazing movie. "In fusing European experimentalism and Hollywood boldness, Herzog has created a genuine oddity, a furious and unforgettable hybrid which may well prove to be 2010's most purely enjoyable moviegoing experience." Best corrupt cop flick since Training Day. A big improvement over the '92 Lieutenant. The ways all the loose ends are tied up and the finale are masterful. Could have been shorter.

• moaihead

★★★ Added by moaihead

- Nicolas Cage is pretty hilarious and crazy in this movie, and I enjoyed it for that. He's also creepy and dangerous-seeming.

- The possibility of crime and violence and unhinged behavior makes the movie interesting.

- There isn't really a central plotline. You're just following this lunatic around while he explodes on people, and it's entertaining.

- I guess I don't get what the iguanas are about. Are they even real? I thought the one iguana scene was pretty…

• Cecil

★★½ Watched by Cecil 13 Mar, 2014

I don't have a lot to say about this. I haven't seen Abel Ferrara's Bad Lieutenant, but supposedly this has absolutely nothing to do with it, so that's not too important. Nic Cage is a fairly immoral cop (he doesn't go around kicking dogs, but he does take advantage of prostitutes in a similarly sleazy style) trying to keep his head above the water. There are also some animals he sees while tripping, which feels a tiny bit like Aguirre but not exactly a lot. Port of Call: New Orleans reminds me of Scorsese's Bringing out the Dead, but it isn't as good.