• tttaub

★★★ Watched by tttaub 01 Jul, 2015

Weiiiiird, and bad. Mostly bad. And weird. Not entirely without it's charms, even though they are mostly ironic.

• Erin Finnerty

★★★½ Added by Erin Finnerty

i guess any movie where nic cage threatens the life of an old woman gets at least four stars. why does eva mendes always play she same sad sack hooker character?

• Patrick Torrence

★★★★ Rewatched by Patrick Torrence 28 Jun, 2015

This is a movie I can't really put my finger on. Is it a black comedy or is it meant to be taken seriously? Did Herzog and Cage run with the script or was it written that way? I choose to believe that the two of them changed it into a dark comedy and its a hell of a ride. Some great surreal moments and the pinnacle of rage Cage. I don't think I'll ever get tired of a few scenes in this movie. Particularly the nursing home and the shootout.

• marmitecageclub

Cage rating: 4,5
    average: 4

• Colin Creasy

★★★★ Watched by Colin Creasy 16 Jun, 2015

Pretty good cop movie punctuated by absolutely awesome Herzogian touches... What are these fuckin' iguanas doing on my coffee table?

• Kjetil K

Watched by Kjetil K 15 Jun, 2015

Film #11 of the "Scavenger Hunt #3" Challenge:
    Task #13: A film that makes you question the sanity of either the actor or the director!
    letterboxd.com/naughty/list/scavenger-hunt-3/

Werner Herzog is a madman and Nicholas Cage is a madman, so they seem like the perfect fit. Even though they both are a part of this movie it is not completely off the hinges, but it does have marvelous glimses of insanity throughout; a breakdancing soul, invisible iguanas, weird gopro-esque footage of animals,…

• dizzy4111

★★★★★ Rewatched by dizzy4111 06 Jun, 2015

You have no idea how happy I am that this exists.

• Seanery

★★★½ Rewatched by Seanery 07 Jun, 2015

I feel like this was the last (successful) time someone gave Cage a script that fully endorsed his propensity to as big and insane as possible. This might even be the Cagiest of Cage performances. Halfway through he even changes his voice! It's like he's off the reins, but with material that supports him doing so (he plays a Lieutenant whose drug addiction becomes more and more problematic). Between the imaginary iguanas, dancing souls, and scene where he cuts off…

• Alex Kittle

★★★★ Watched by Alex Kittle 05 Jun, 2015

The truly remarkable thing about this film is how despite Nicolas Cage's gradually-escalating, multi-accented, fiendishly hunched, generally unpredictable performance dominating the whole movie, somehow with only about 7 minutes of screen time Shea Whigham manages to upstage him! Shea Whigham is so great! Shea Whigham should be more famous!

• Cody MacDougall