• Tristiac

★★★★ Rewatched by Tristiac 13 Feb, 2016

Sometimes batshit crazy Nick Cage can sink a movie and sometimes batshit crazy Nick Cage is exactly what a movie needs. This is definitely the latter.

• Reader

★★★ Watched by Reader 11 Feb, 2016

"To the break of dawn, baby."
    It feels like Cage thought he was making another one of his insane, over-the-top movies with an un-Caged performance and Herzog wanted to make an intelligent crime drama that studies a "bad lieutenant" and they met somewhere glorious in the middle.
    The scene with the elderly ladies is pretty spectacular.

• Abhilash

★★★★ Added by Abhilash

Is this some funny shit or what! Truly entertaining display of abusing authority.

Nicholas Cage makes for the smoothest lunatic cop.

The scene in which he interrogates two elderly women and then accuses them of being "the fucking reason this country's going down the drain" is fantastic! He gets so emotional about it!

If you haven't already, you need to watch this.

Val Kilmer and Xzibit also show up in the movie.

• Brooke Willis

★★★★★ Added by Brooke Willis

My favourite theatrical film by Herzog. Nicholas Cage is genuinely amazing in this.

• Dan Bremner

★★★★ Rewatched by Dan Bremner 24 Jan, 2016 1

The Nicolas Cage we know and love is front and center in this black comedy about a corrupt police lieutenant with a penchant for drugs and prostitutes.

I was always more familiar with Werner Herzog for his documentaries rather than his works of fiction, but he did a fantastic job with this remake in name only of Harvey Keitel's cult 1992 classic. Aside from the fact that Port of Call is about a corrupt cop, the similarities end there. Herzog…

• Owen Greenwell

★★★½ Watched by Owen Greenwell 13 Sep, 2010

Dark, dark, whacked comedy of vice and depravity.

• Haydn DePriest

★★★★ Watched by Haydn DePriest 21 Jan, 2016 3

I want you to imagine what would happen if a dime-store pulp novel was retold to you by the schizophrenic drug addict who hangs out in front of your favorite eatery.

I don't know why I asked you to do that, it's completely unrelated to the rest of this review.

-----

Herzog, cinema's resident mad-man, decided to wage what could be called a "War Against Cinema", taking a mediocre script written by a guy with the most jewish name imaginable…

• Erkmagerk

★★★½ Rewatched by Erkmagerk 19 Jan, 2016

On of my favorite nick cage movies hes perfect for this role. This is the second time ive watched it might be better the second time around. Ill be watching it again.

• soccerjulchen

★★★★½ Added by soccerjulchen

Der Film ist pures Rock'n'Roll und Nicolas Cage überragt

• Nick Rogers

★★★★½ Watched by Nick Rogers 18 Jan, 2016

Finally. I obviously knew of its rep but simply could not understand in full until seeing it for myself. It's a cop thriller as a freeform improvisational-jazz piece with Herzog and Cage (doing some sort of jacked-up Jimmy Stewart voice that's just perfect) trading wild solos where time signatures, keys and dynamics stop and shift on a dime (put that dime on Louisiana, mind you). Take the two of them out of it, and all you've got is some bargain-basement…

• Alex Graham

★★★ Watched by Alex Graham 12 Jan, 2016

"You don't have a lucky crack pipe?"

The best kind of Nic Cage performance - where he gives it 100% the entire time.

• sosparadox

★★★★ Watched by sosparadox 07 Jan, 2016

I never thought Nicolas Cage could be any Cage-ier, but after seeing this movie, I was proven completely wrong and I'm glad about that. 4/5