• Andrew Thalheimer

★★★★ Watched by Andrew Thalheimer 16 Oct, 2016

Nic Cage in an always well-suited lunatic role, a "dancing soul," hallucinatory glamour shots of iguanas,  -- what's not to like?!

Speaking relative to its horrendous title, this is, pound for pound, the best film ever made...I have no idea if that makes any sense, but I accidentally just smoked heroin.

• Andrew

★★★★★ Watched by Andrew 15 Oct, 2016

"Do fish have dreams?"

• Aranoo

★★★ Watched by Aranoo 14 Oct, 2016

Nicolas Cage è un Poliziotto lurido e marcio che possiede anche uno strano spirito Innocente. Un Assurdo e leggero Film surreale che non si prende mai sul serio e forse questo è il suo piu grande difetto, Il protagonista barcolla e traballa riuscendo a fatica a tenere in piedi la sua disastrosa vita, incarna i due lati dell umanità stessa, ruba, si droga, corrompe, minaccia di morte, se ne frega di tutti ma la regia ha pietà per lui, lo…

• Preyesh Sankarparsad

★★★ Watched by Preyesh Sankarparsad 28 Sep, 2016

Wow.... Where do I start with this....
    The story is straight forward... we follow the exploits of a shady New Orleans cop, Terence McDonagh, post Hurricane Katrina as he investigates the brutal murder of five Senegalese immigrants, and the corrupt and sometimes disturbing depths he would go to, to make the ultimate bust...
    Ok, now take that straight forward story, and inject a bit of Nick Cage into it, and that story quickly goes from a simple cop-thriller, to an…

• Zach a.m.

★★★★ Watched by Zach a.m. 28 Sep, 2016

Pungent and dry like the sticky sweaty, seedy underbelly of some aquatic roadkill that's been sitting on the tarmac, beneath the sun too long.

Not nearly as outrageous as I expected it to be considering the legacy the title carries. If anything, it's timid at least compared to my wilder imagination. I was prepared for sadism but I got a lot more sympathy instead the more gradually addiction took over this film.

It winds up somewhere between a procedural and…

• Mr Mister

★★★½ Added by Mr Mister

"What for?"

• FilmIsNeat

★★★½ Watched by FilmIsNeat 31 Aug, 2016

This film reminds you that Nicolas Cage really can act. He crosses back and forth over the line several times making you wonder if he is an anti-hero or simply a depraved villain. The rest of the cast give excellent performances as well.
    Being a Louisiana native, I appreciate the heavy usage of location shooting.
    I'm new to Herzog only having seen this, Cave of Forgotten Dreams, and Rescue Dawn. Due to this I'm sure I'm still not fully appreciating everything he is putting on the screen. I plan to delve further into his filmography.

• Brian J. "Tyrannorabbit" Wright

★★★½ Rewatched by Brian J. "Tyrannorabbit" Wright 16 Sep, 2016

A bad-cop character study with Cage really Cageing it up, this shares a little creative DNA with the Abel Ferrara movie but I think it's mostly just a wallow in similar murk that couldn't get away from that title.

Werner Herzog doesn't always keep his eye on the ball; he clearly never really cared about resolving the big grotesque mystery that drives much of the story, and there are a couple of suddenly cheap-looking sequences where Herzog just shoves his…

• NotDanielKasman

★★★★ Added by NotDanielKasman

I misjudged the film's use of New Orleans the first time I saw the film; it may function mostly like the location for a TV movie (or show) but it is still quite beautiful and unique. Second time around Cage's performance shines all the more. One of the best movies of the year, no doubt.

• talisencrw (William Wood)

★★★★½ Watched by talisencrw (William Wood) 22 Jul, 2016

This was outstanding, albeit not quite in the same league as the Abel Ferrara classic from a generation prior.

Still, a wonderful cinematically exciting experience, to see Werner Herzog riffing along the same vibe. Nicolas Cage is easily this generation's most Klaus Kinski-esque actor--in that, I mean 'mania' fused with thespianial acumen.

I only wish Herzog would make Cage a similar muse, and fuse every single script he comes across with Cage's rare intensity and accomplished skill-set.

★★ Watched by STEPHEN TUBBS 11 Sep, 2016

I've never seen Cage better - he's the right selection for the part. The highlight is when he tells another character to calm down - that knocked me back a bit.

• Will Goulborn

★★★ Watched by Will Goulborn 11 Sep, 2016

This is Werner Herzog's snappily titled remake of the 1992 Abel Ferrara film, which I haven't seen, and neither had Herzog when he made this. He claims he just liked the name. Surely it's not a remake then, anyway, he managed to tag five extra words on the end so clearly wasn't that fussed about the (now rather cumbersome) title. If you are unfamiliar with Herzog's eccentricities, just type into your preferred search engine 'Werner Herzog eats his shoe.'