• Gabriel Guimarães

★★★★ Watched by Gabriel Guimarães 23 Nov, 2015

Week 17 of the Letterboxd Season Challenge 2015-16: New Cult Canon Week. My list.

Messy, messed up and really, really funny (that iguana scene!), this is Herzog finding in Cage a great Klaus Kinski performance.

• Derenzo

★★★ Added by Derenzo

Pretty fuckin weird, Werner.

• mjbillington

★★★ Watched by mjbillington 21 Nov, 2015

Although there are quite a few things to like about the movie, particularly concerning the directing and, to a lesser extent, the script, it is a flawed movie. Most importantly, the tone of the movie is inconsistent and some of the darkness is undermined by some comedic moments that derive not from that very darkness (as one could argue they should) but from downright comedic intent. In the same vein, the lead performance is quite uneven, with very good moments (on par with anything Cage has done in the 00s) alternating with off-putting overacting.

• Gregory David Escobar

★★★★½ Watched by Gregory David Escobar 18 Nov, 2015

No entiendo como se me pasó bajo el radar esta película por seis años.

Es Werner Herzog relatando sobre el caos, la corrupción y la estabilidad encontrada gracias a eso.

Es Nicholas Cage sobreactuando conscientemente a niveles increíbles (en pasajes es sencillamente una caricatura de villano) y FUNCIONANDO perfectamente por el material de origen.

Es Michael Shannon, Eva Mendes, Val Kilmer, Xzibit, Fairuza Balk, Jennifer Coolidge, Brad Dourif, Vondie Curtis-Hall, como gloriosos satélites histriónicos (No puede quedar duda de que Herzog sabe sacar a relucir lo mejor de cada actor/actriz) a la locura desatada por el protagonista.

• Hayden2142

★★★★½ Added by Hayden2142

Manic and unapologetic in a different but much more enjoyable fashion than Abel Ferrara's "original" version (I use quotations because this film really isn't connected at all to it other than some vaguely similar plot points), Werner Herzog's character study is an extremely fun and cathartic ride through the dealings of one thoroughly unhinged individual. While it is true that the more grounded sub plot with Eva Mendes comes off as a buzzkill that serves only to interrupt the glorious steam of Nic Cage fueled madness, I personally feel that the rest of the movie more than makes up for it.

• Brian Stack

★★½ Watched by Brian Stack 28 Oct, 2015

Cage is deliciously, uncomfortably evil, but two hours of Nic Cage being evil does not make a great movie.

• Pedro Gomes

★★★★ Added by Pedro Gomes

- This movie is so well acted that you would think that Cage is really corrupt and/or on crack.
    - Trippy scenes are so good that they seem Philip K. Dick-ish.
    - Werner Herzog.
    - I don't understand why Eva Mendes is always someone's girlfriend. I mean, at one point she will have to move a plot forward.
    - It's a weird movie that still sticks to some genre conventions. It could have done better without them.

• Obfuscation

★★★½ Watched by Obfuscation 14 Nov, 2015

Herzog is insane.
    Cage is insane.
    I'm insane.

Of course I'm gonna love it.

PS: is there a road cop like Fairuza Balk actually in New Orleans or am I gonna have to rely on this film to get that fix?

• Rucavanné van Wyk

★★★ Watched by Rucavanné van Wyk 13 Nov, 2015

Terence: Shoot him again.
    Midget: WHAT FOR?!
    Terence: His soul's still dancing.

• Paul Zoccolillo

★★★½ Added by Paul Zoccolillo

(Original review outdated, re-evaluation required at later date)

• Elliot Fane

★★★ Watched by Elliot Fane 04 Nov, 2015

I think for this film to truly become the ultimate over-the-top classic, it needed to borrow the energy of the unbelievably film 'Crank'. Otherwise it is very well shot, Cage is typically over the top and fantastic and some moments are hard to forget! Another watch of this film may see me be more kind to it, but for now I think it'a good film which didn't go far enough!

• Tarnished_Angel

Added by Tarnished_Angel

I had a blast with this in the theater. Cage and Herzog is some serious synergy.