• Samuel

★★★★½ Watched by Samuel 19 Dec, 2014

Nic Cage is just so amazing when he's playing the right character. When he's good, there's nobody else who could play his role.

I'm going through Herzog's movies in weird order. I saw the first 15 minutes or so of Bad Lieutenant on TV once like years ago but I'm glad I didn't watch the whole thing till now that I'm more aware of Herzog. Dark, crazy offbeat masterpiece.

• Eric Hatch

★★★★½ Added by Eric Hatch

Would make a great double feature with SPRING BREAKERS, in that they're both films that intentionally magnify genre to such a degree that they end up feeling like a new comedic form.

• Alexis Paiz

★★ Watched by Alexis Paiz 11 Dec, 2014

TBL:PoC-NO is such an "almost". Similar to Ghost Rider, there are flashes of that classic Nic Cage brilliance/insanity. But also like GR, it needs way more of it to all come together and work well. Cage is at his best when he's able to go all out.

That being said, the breakdancing soul sequence is one of the best scenes I've ever seen in like, anything. NO LIE.

also: do fish have dreams

• ChasingTheDawn

★★★★ Added by ChasingTheDawn

Awesome movie. Nic is a great actor so it's really uplifting when he acts in a good movie.

• SilentDawn

★★★★★ Watched by SilentDawn 07 Dec, 2014 2

The Bad Lieutenant: Port of Call - New Orleans isn't dreadfully dull or sloppily disjointed like its title suggests; Instead, It's one of the most truly extraordinary films to ever fall into a sense of obscurity or opaqueness. While getting critical acclaim, audiences were divided. I just don't think they knew what hit them.

Simultaneously being Werner Herzog's and Nicolas Cage's finest work, The Bad Lieutenant is a story of self-hatred and disillusion set against a landscape of both physical…

• Matthew Wooldridge

★★★½ Watched by Matthew Wooldridge 04 Jan, 2010

I really wasn't expecting anything from this film. I wasn't even planning to see it. I heard somewhere that it was quirky, and thought I’d try at least the first 15 minutes, in which time you can usually tell if a movie is worth watching. And this certainly was, which was a nice surprise. This is the best Nicolas Cage film I’ve seen in a long time. It’s been five years since his okay roles in Lord of War and…

• Austin Shermer

★★★★ Rewatched by Austin Shermer 01 Dec, 2014

I cherish Nicolas Cage more than my lucky crack pipe.

• Fish

★★★½ Watched by Fish 24 Nov, 2014

This had been on the pile for a good time, and undesirably so. 'Bad Lieutenant' is a cracking, surreal and bizarre tale of a cop descending into crime, but emerging victorious.

The ambiguous star (Cage), goes through a cycle. He manages to get promoted in quick succession through actions he has done for the wrong reasons. This makes for an excellent watch as he descends into blackmail, prostitution, drug use, gambling, extortion, drug use, and mostly; drug use. The surreal scenes were immensely enjoyable.

Certainly an interesting watch.

• Jeff Gallashaw

★★★ Added by Jeff Gallashaw

This was a film I expected to be fun and really enjoy, Yet I found this to be another disappointment. It has good and interesting characters. But for all the great actors in the film they have characters who would be interesting if they really had something to do and fit more into the film.

Nicholas Cage gives a great performance and this film is practically a one man show. As he is a live wire from beginning to end.…

• Koen Romers

★★★ Watched by Koen Romers 19 Nov, 2014

• Rob McGregor

★★★ Watched by Rob McGregor 16 May, 2014

In which... the film is one of the good Nic Cage films and is an enjoyable if mostly predictable affair held up by it's casting and direction.

• Alice Bishop

Watched by Alice Bishop 12 Nov, 2014 8

It's rare that this happens but I had one of those moments tonight where I genuinely thought I'd put the wrong film on. This is never a good sign and neither is the disagreeable feeling of wanting every character on-screen to die a slow and painful death. I feel a rant brewing with this one, let's see how well I can control it.

Apparently Werner Herzog had not seen the original before he made Bad Lieutenant so it's a bit…