• scotts2323

★★½ Watched by scotts2323 19 Apr, 2014

I had a hard time liking this film. Become addicted to drugs, perform all of these illegal things and receive a medal. It didn't add up for me.

• BilltheThrill

★★★★ Watched by BilltheThrill 09 Apr, 2014

This might be one of the worst movie titles ever which put off my watching it for so long, but Herzog delivers a wonderfully hypnotic thriller. It’s an offbeat film with an abundance of interesting characters and subplots. Nic Cage is a pleasure to watch as the deranged, drug abusing, yet absolutely hilarious detective.

• Ingmar

★★★ Watched by Ingmar 18 Apr, 2014 11

The very overrated Werner Herzog manages to craft an entertaining and thoughtful character study that works mostly on behalf of a spectacular performance by Nicolas Cage. Other than that it's a bit ineffective and the commentary on "the American Dream" comes across as very muddled.

• Daniel Charchuk

★★★★ Watched by Daniel Charchuk 24 Dec, 2009

It's quite something to witness a film as totally unhinged and off-the-wall as this. It's as if Herzog and Cage were working totally without a filter, and just went as batshit crazy as possible.

Luckily, it works. Cage is as good as he's ever been, and the film is funny and inventive and sly. It's constantly toying with the genre, winking at the audience, and yet it plays it all with deadpan seriousness. It's a fucking riot.

• GirlsBlood

★★★ Watched by GirlsBlood 17 Apr, 2014

Reptiles are my life right fucking now

youtube.com/watch?v=kknXBbnppzA

• Will M-L

★★★★ Watched by Will M-L 15 Apr, 2014 2

What in gods name did I just watch.

An over-convoluted mess of a film. But It's also one of the greatest viewing experiences I've ever had.

Who knew this film, that's advertised as a kind of dark thriller, and directed by the wonderful Werner Herzog, could be this much crazy fun?

Bad Lieutenant: Port of Call New Orleans jumps from genre to genre, bashing down walls and barriers as it goes... gets a little reckless along the way... but still manages to be smart, wonderfully lit and shot, strange, out of this world, dark, and altogether an insanely good time.

What a film.

• Sean Mulvihill

★★★★½ Rewatched by Sean Mulvihill 14 Apr, 2014

Herzog and Cage working at peak insanity provides some really entertaining results. So many great lines in this film -- "You don't have a lucky crack pipe?" and "Shoot him again. His soul is still dancing."

• Kera-Anne Smeesters-Kirkwood

★★½ Watched by Kera-Anne Smeesters-Kirkwood 12 Apr, 2014

Um...what is the plot line and why the cinematics on lizards?

• Chevalier

★★★ Added by Chevalier

YO DAWG, I HEARD YOU LIKE HERZOG, SO WE PUT NICOLAS CAGE IN YOUR HERZOG, AND VAL KILMER, AND THEN....A BUNCH OF IGUANAS SO YOU CAN HERZOG WHILE CAGE WITH THE VAL AND....

• Craig Dawson

★★★★ Rewatched by Craig Dawson 07 Apr, 2014

Terence McDonagh is a drug- and gambling-addled detective in post-Katrina New Orleans investigating the killing of five Senegalese immigrants.

Not your typcial run of the mill Cop film, but with Werner Herzog at the helm it never was going to be. Full of dark humour and the best Nic Cage performance since Adaptation (only great directors can get them out of him these days,) it's such a crazy fun ride that despite some flaws you just go with it. Cage…

• Gregory Hess

★★★★ Rewatched by Gregory Hess 04 Apr, 2014

Saw this originally at a preview screening at Doc Films' (in the Max Palevsky Theater.) Audience was dead silent, occasional nervous tittering. This viewing was at the Aero Theatre in Santa Monica, who's auditorium is ALSO named after Max Palevsky, Patron Saint of Cinemas (?!?!). Audience was in an uproar throughout. I've always had a complicated relationship with this one, but being able to take it at face value as goofy Cage-ey hokum relieves a burden. Would make a fine…

• Lee Hultman

★★★★ Watched by Lee Hultman 04 Apr, 2014

One of the funniest movies I've seen in months. Herzog's balance between heavy content and light delivery, controlled filmmaking and jazz-like improvisation, New Orleans' post-Katrina reality and Cage's perfectly overacted predicament makes this an outstanding straight faced comedy. This movie alone has cemented Cage as one of my favorite actors who is willing to go as far as the rest of them, and then some, but rarely (not once in BL) heads off the rails.